Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008
So the OP says that GW minis work fine for playing Kings of War, would there be anything preventing the reverse? Specifically this seems like a great way to build the core of a substantially cheaper WHFB Dwarf army. Obviously I would assume it'd work fine but I'd rather be 100% sure before I drop any money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

GW stores/official competitions won't let you play with them, obviously, but apart from that I don't think you'd have a problem. Less variety, although probably not that much less with Dwarves considering how GW has been ignoring them for so long.

This is £30 on the mantic site, probably less elsewhere

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
YOu will find sites often have 40-50% off of Mantic sales. I picked up a heap of forge fathers for $80 that covered all of my possible needs for Warriors and Immortals in a Squats counts as Necron army that I have planned.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
As of this moment, we're still missing out on the photographs for the following units/heroes from the Kings of War Kickstarter -

Elohi
Paladin knights
Sisterhoood lancers
gargoyles
Immortal Guard
Obsidian Golems (we have decent pics of the greens on these)
Elf Palace guard
Stormwind calvary
Fleabag Riders
Twilight Dark knights
Berosos
Herneas
Kernow
Grokagamok
Atlak Nakh
Mikayel
Lord Malak
Pantehr Chariot
Druid hero
Air Elemental hero
Goblin hero set
Abyssal Dwarf fire team

Repeated attempts at having Mantic show us photographs have resulted in no contact whatsoever. I am beginning to think we're unlikely to see nearly all of them in time so we can at least make some informed decisions on our choices for this Kickstarter.

Be careful those who are thinking of the Deadzone kickstarter, make sure you go for stuff that has definitive pictures of miniatures, because you never know what you'll be getting.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Given how good everything shown so far has been, and that the entire Enforcer faction has been digital sculpted already, I'm pretty happy with how the Deadzone kickstarter is going. It just needs to get to 800k and unlock all the Faction extras.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

The Dark Project posted:

As of this moment, we're still missing out on the photographs for the following units/heroes from the Kings of War Kickstarter -

Elohi
Paladin knights
Sisterhoood lancers
gargoyles
Immortal Guard
Obsidian Golems (we have decent pics of the greens on these)
Elf Palace guard
Stormwind calvary
Fleabag Riders
Twilight Dark knights
Berosos
Herneas
Kernow
Grokagamok
Atlak Nakh
Mikayel
Lord Malak
Pantehr Chariot
Druid hero
Air Elemental hero
Goblin hero set
Abyssal Dwarf fire team

Repeated attempts at having Mantic show us photographs have resulted in no contact whatsoever. I am beginning to think we're unlikely to see nearly all of them in time so we can at least make some informed decisions on our choices for this Kickstarter.

Be careful those who are thinking of the Deadzone kickstarter, make sure you go for stuff that has definitive pictures of miniatures, because you never know what you'll be getting.

Yeah the pictures of the KoW stuff is really disappointing. Really disappointing. There's no real excuse not to have something to show for everything that's coming in June. The Elf Stormwind and Twilight Kin Dark Knights aren't coming in June so they're maybe understandable, but everything else should have photos. Mantic aren't doing themselves any favours, especially since some models have had such a (understandable) negative reaction. Part of me thinks that they might possibly make a decision to "fix" some of the models that have had the negative reactions. The Men At Arms are hard plastic so unlikely to be changed, but potential quick fixes like the sisters' arms might be in order. That's pure speculation though and even if it were the case then Mantic should have told us.

On one hand I'd quite like to get the sisters since I don't think they're unfixable. I've got a lot of leftover arms from my Fireforge Games' Knights which I reckon will be absolutely perfect. On the other hand I've already got a huge backlog, and trading them in for Ogres would give me a more realistic painting target.

I don't think Deadzone will suffer from the same issues. A lot of what's being shown has already been sculpted to a high quality (digitally or otherwise), with the possible exception of the marauders. I know that the sentiment about "trusting" another Mantic Kickstarter has lead some people to withdraw or scale down their pledges though.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Deadzone looks to be just like Dreadball, ie a small number of model variants that they can easily spec up and churn out. Dreadball has gone perfectly in that regard.

Just watch out for the horrific mould lines on their hard plastic minis.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Plague list for Warpath just went up on the Mantic Blog. Looks like I'll be playing Warpath now.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

moths posted:

The Plague list for Warpath just went up on the Mantic Blog. Looks like I'll be playing Warpath now.

You won't be disappointed :) It's not 100% yet, but it's certainly a very solid gaming system already.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I might be the only one, but for anyone who backed the Veteran level in the KoW Kickstarter:

quote:

From the Mantic forum in regards to the $125 Ogre deal -

The Same applies to the 'Ogre Army Deal', so if you pledge for that at $125 you now get:

27 x Ogres with Melee Weapons (your choice of Hand weapons & Shields or Two-Handed Weapons) - previously you only got 18

18 x Ores with Missile Weapons (your choice of Crossbows or Blunderbusses) - previously you only got 12

1 x Free Ogre Hero

2 x Free Ogre Command Sets

As Deoq said you have to email Stewart on:

stewart.gibbs@manticgames.com

telling him you want the increased number of figures rather than the lesser number of figures (seems strange but it is what Mantic has come up with, I would have thought it would have been simpler to just increase everybody's order).

Hope this helps.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 30, 2013

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I ended up going with BOGOF choices and now will have 54 Ogres coming my way. I am not too happy, but it's the best I can pull out of this situation I reckon.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

My box of Z-Corp arrived! I'd read Corporation Marines were hard to saw in half, but working with the resin isn't as bad as they say. Use a fresh x-acto, take your time, and be careful. And you're going to need *stuff to fill necks and waists. It's absolutely not a for-beginners kit. Between this and the kickstarter I'll have enough to field 1000+ points, which I'm happy about.

Does Mantic sell individual bits? I'm going to need something like 20 pistols (with hands preferably). Any sci-fi pistols would work but I'd like them to match what I've already got as much as possible.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

The Dreadzone kickstarter is now in the last hour or so and is currently on $1,115,574.

Strike level is very good now, clocking in at 64 miniatures (plus another 12 or 13 for your free extra starter) plus lots of scenery, rules, a plastic gaming mat and some extra gubbinz.

If you want to get in on it, now's the time.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/deadzone-the-sci-fi-miniatures-board-game

Thundercloud fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 2, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Cross-posting from the Oath Thread!

(Bigger after the links)

So this is the start of my Warpath Plague. I've got to say I'm a lot happier with my colors than the hot-pink guys in Deadzone. This totally hits the Quake / DooM possessed marines vibe that drew me to Mantic in the first place.

My Plague Striders are are from Dust Tactics, with the jetpacks removed and heads swapped. The Plague 3rd Gen are the Z-Corps conversions, and Mortis is just Mortis. Someday he'll get special rules?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Those are really cool, well done. Like you said, they have a definite Quake/Doom vibe.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009
I just received my second shipment of the Kings of War kickstarter minis, and they're fantastic. I really love the Ogres a lot more than I thought, the official paintjob does not do them justice. I'm not sold on the Basilean men at arms, but the goblins, werewolves, and mummies are all fantastic.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Bionic Psyker posted:

I just received my second shipment of the Kings of War kickstarter minis, and they're fantastic. I really love the Ogres a lot more than I thought, the official paintjob does not do them justice. I'm not sold on the Basilean men at arms, but the goblins, werewolves, and mummies are all fantastic.

Did you get the Basileans through already? Everyone I've spoken to has just got the angels and everything else is delayed to the third shipment. You've not got them confused with the elf guys have you?

And yes the Ogres are fantastic. I really like the official paint job myself and think it's the first time since I first took up wargaming that I'm mostly following an official scheme:

Also the Kings & Legends supplement has been sent as a download to the kickstarter backers. I'm really, really liking it after quickly glancing through it. The characters all seem pretty cool and I like how the Ogre Army list has large entries for the units, each with a fair bit of background text. Really nice to flesh out the background while still being usable as a rulebook. And they've mastered the art of separating rules from fluff...

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So I've chipped in for a portion of a friend's Deadzone kickstarter, I'm getting the Plague starter, and drat it, I'm painting them pink.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I'm gonna prime white and wash pink/red but yeah, sunburnt is clearly the way to go.

Or maybe I am just very lazy.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

Daedleh posted:

Did you get the Basileans through already? Everyone I've spoken to has just got the angels and everything else is delayed to the third shipment. You've not got them confused with the elf guys have you?

And yes the Ogres are fantastic. I really like the official paint job myself and think it's the first time since I first took up wargaming that I'm mostly following an official scheme:

You're right, I was thinking of the twilight guard. Don't know why I thought they were the Basileans. I really like your Ogres, I think the photos on the Mantic site just looked a little too red for me, but it's just a personal preference.

Any word on the final survey? I'm looking at dropping some money on a goblin army, but I don't want to do it yet if they're going to have them at kickstarter prices one last time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I missed the KoW kickstarter, is there any way to get in on it now?

Also some Deadzone previews this week, I am so glad to have backed this thing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I wasn't at all excited about Mars Attacks before this.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I demand you tell me more about that or I'll send a tripod after you and extract the info from your brain.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

A while back Mantic announced that they had acquired the Mars Attacks licence from Topps. Nobody cared because everybody remembered what happened to Mongoose's Starship Troopers game, even if nobody remembers that Starship Troopers game. Eventually it came out that it would be aimed at new players, which meant one-piece fast-assembly models and using a modified version of the Deadzone rules (You can still get the DZ beta rules here). Which seemed like even more reason not to care, since uuugh one-piece models and if you like Deadzone you'll play Deadzone.

But then wow:

tl;dr - Licenced game looks way more promising than anticipated.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

moths posted:

I wasn't at all excited about Mars Attacks before this.
MEEP MEEEEEEP

I'm gonna buy the hell out of those guys.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Dreadball season 3 is out at the end of this month and you can preorder a pack with the rulebook, the four multihex figures and the new game board for like £40.

3-6 players, 2 balls on the pitch it sounds nuts.

Set doesn't include the multihex terraton for some reason sadly.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The final version of the Deadzone Marauders are now out, in fully painted glory

For scale next to a Warpath Ork

I backed Deadzone, and I'm pretty drat happy with them, can't wait for them to start shipping.

^^Also, ack ack ack! had no interest in the Mars Attack KS until those minis went public, looking good to destroy my wallet :ohdear:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 24, 2013

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

NTRabbit posted:

The final version of the Deadzone Marauders are now out, in fully painted glory

For scale next to a Warpath Ork

I backed Deadzone, and I'm pretty drat happy with them, can't wait for them to start shipping.

^^Also, ack ack ack! had no interest in the Mars Attack KS until those minis went public, looking good to destroy my wallet :ohdear:

They're much better looking with paint on them, still not convinced on the big guy with the big cannons, hoping he has a different head option and/or is going to be easily converted.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm surprised at how better the dogs barking chainsaws look painted.

The Mars Attacks terrain is looking to be red bricks done in 3" modular sections, like Deadzone:

Which could also be used for a low-rent part of a Deadzone, or building Stalingrad.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

I'm the one who snapped the pictures and had the tour at Mantic. I'm very, very excited. The models I saw were just the resin/3D printed masters but there doesn't seem to be any problems translating them to restic, just to hard plastic. The plastic terrain I saw was the final product and looks great though and I'm quite confident that the god awful Men at arms issues have been sorted.

The marauders are excellent though and are much better than I was thinking when I saw the greens. I managed to snag a resin master of the running one before it was reposed and the model (asides from the terrible Sonic: The Hedgehog pose) is really nice. It's great to paint up and asides from the face feels very much like a GW Ork.

They're very hefty compared to GW Orks and I can't see restic shrinkage scaling them down too much. I'd say they'd definitely make for good kommados with a headswap and are even big enough to run a Flash Gitz.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I can't tell if this is childish or clever.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

See I was a bit dubious about Mars Attacks as a concept. However the modular terrain looks great, and the models are true to the setting. I'd be very interested to see the Soldiers they do, and that will likely decide whether I back the kickstarter.

I'd rather have the kickstarter after I had the Deadzone stuff in my hands and could see the quality of that though.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's amazing is what it is.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Can't it be both?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Under 2 hours to go until the Kickstarter for Mars Attacks goes live, interested to see what the pledge levels are like and to see how quickly they smash their goal :v:

http://marsattacksthegame.com/

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Mars Attacks is live.

44k of 50 so far.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Well it's now funded. Hit $50,000 in 15 minutes.

I went for the early bird Invader, pledged in the first three minutes and squeaked an EB1 at $140.

Hopefully the US troops are decently to scale with the standard 28mm stuff, which means they'll be the first plastic 28mm ultramoderns.

Also dawned on me that you could get the game, take out the Martians, add zombies and you've got some US troops + survivors on a ruined town battleboard vs zombies.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Thundercloud posted:

Also dawned on me that you could get the game, take out the Martians, add zombies and you've got some US troops + survivors on a ruined town battleboard vs zombies.

Given that it's based on the deadzone rules.. and that Jake Thornton has written AI rules for zombies.. I'd say this is very much something that is likely going to be possible :)

I jumped in on the early bird too, same pledge level, seems silly not to. Spent the last day or two of deadzone refreshing like a chump trying to hop down into the early bird territories as people pulled out / changed pledges just so I could save $10 :D

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The jet pack guy is probably a special character, based on the non-military haircut in the silhouette. Or a lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

I got materials confirmation - terrain will be hard plastic sprues (as expected) and the miniatures will be a new material:

quote:

Guh, just had a thought - the restic issue's irrelevant, because we're using a new material for Mars Attacks! It's the same stuff we're using for LOKA - if you've played the Gears of War board game, it's the same stuff they use. Bit more flexible than what we normally have (which makes better one-piece miniatures) but still very crisp detail and holds paint very well.

I'm just in for one of the $90 early birds, but interested to see what else comes out later in the campaign. My wallet's fairly empty after Deadzone so I can't go too crazy with this one sadly.