Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

By c-lang I meant Java, the best language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

please tell me more about the predictable space/time complexity of malloc/free and new/delete

you call malloc(1024) and you (p. much) instantly get 1 kilobyte of memory. :confused:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Wheany posted:

(p. much) instantly

your perspective isn't the processor's

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
hmm, yase, the memory allocation did not take 0 milliseconds, it actually took 1.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i downloaded rust0.8 and it failed to run because of missing dlls.

why not bundle everything in the installer? why do i have to downgrade/replace my existing mingw w64 dev environment which was a bitch to setup? why is stuff so hard? why can't everything be easy?

I want to ask them this but i don't want to sound like a dick :(

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Dsyp

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wheany posted:

hmm, yase, the memory allocation did not take 0 milliseconds, it actually took 1.

ok so this is clearly very simple, wheany. i must be overcomplicating it

what's the big O notation for that malloc?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Wheany posted:

yeah how could a 1ms allocation delay possibly make a difference. no program has ever allocated memory for several million objects

it's not like our machines tick over once a nanosecond have billions of bytes worth of memory to play with

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 28, 2013

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

why not bundle everything in the installer? why do i have to downgrade/replace my existing mingw w64 dev environment which was a bitch to setup? why is stuff so hard? why can't everything be easy?

step 1: install linux

step 2: it's really easy from there. why the gently caress were you trying to use windows?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

step 1: install linux

step 2: it's really easy from there. why the gently caress were you trying to use windows?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

mingw w64 dev environment

I will never understand why you fucktards decide that this and cygwin are good ideas instead of just using a linux vm.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Hard NOP Life posted:

I will never understand why you fucktards decide that this and cygwin are good ideas instead of just using a linux vm.

truth. swapped from a dual-boot to virtualbox recently and wow it's easy to set up. also being able to write c# dev in visualstudio and c in ubuntu simultaneously owns

(hadn't done it before b/c my previous machine was a pos)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nomnom Cookie posted:

Yes. I also think that const is harmful when it encourages people to use a const list when a tuple is more appropriate, and other instances of paying attention to immutable usage rather than immutable design.

immutable design is great, but sometimes i need to use a mutable datastructure while at the same time ensuring a section of code can't gently caress with it. for example, when i pass an array to a bunch of threads. i'd love to keep my fast sequential access, while at the same time making sure none of those fuckers can corrupt my data.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Condiv posted:

immutable design is great, but sometimes i need to use a mutable datastructure while at the same time ensuring a section of code can't gently caress with it. for example, when i pass an array to a bunch of threads. i'd love to keep my fast sequential access, while at the same time making sure none of those fuckers can corrupt my data.

so define a type with the interface you want (e.g., get method but no set method) and pass that to your threads instead of the bare array, what's the big deal?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FamDav posted:

i wrote a white paper at old job on how we could rewrite our search algo in haskell and avoid mutability through some slight changes to our algo and taking advantage of lazy evaluation.

never gonna happen, tho.

yospos.txt

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i should byte the bullet and learn a c lang

unfortunately java sucks, objc is useless, c#/.net doesnt play well with osx, and i cant think of anything else that isnt c++

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

It's pretty much because they all use linux or osx and it's a good day when the windows build bots don't spontaneously combust.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I mean if you figure out how to make rust build+work on windows without jumping through hoops and all the mingw stuff they'll probably carry you on their shoulders through the mozilla office

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

yospos.txt
lol nope not in the slightest

Pollyanna posted:

why, what do you want to do with it?

also yr OS shouldn't be a restriction. like NOP said, grab virtualbox and run whatever os you want

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Pollyanna posted:

unfortunately java sucks, objc is useless, c#/.net doesnt play well with osx, and i cant think of anything else that isnt c++

i forgot why does java suck and how is objc useless?

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Condiv posted:

you do realize that passing around a normal array that you are mutating from one thread to a bunch of consumers may summon nasal demons, right?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pollyanna posted:

what about c

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Pollyanna posted:

learn rust

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

MeramJert posted:

learn rust

if you're gonna choose a niche language to learn, haskell or bust

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and then you can learn rust again at the next point release

that's two c langs!

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

objc is cool + good. the hard part is how freakin large the cocoa libs are.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

coffeetable posted:

if you're gonna choose a niche language to learn, haskell or bust

excuse me haskell isn't a c lang. besides i already know haskell and I want more people to use rust so i can know if its really as cool as it looks without learning it yet myself

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

learn scala its like java but with more kitchen sinks

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gucci void main posted:

objc is cool + good. the hard part is how freakin large the cocoa libs are.

uG posted:

i forgot why does java suck and how is objc useless?

the problem as i was told is that objc is tied to apple architecture and apple itself, so it'd be a repeat of the 90s or something (i dont know what that means. i'm 8/15/1990)

like...yeah. objc is apple, while other languages are (ostensibly) multiplatform.

also objc syntax is weird as gently caress

as for java idk, i guess im just a java racist

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

i'm 8/15/1990

:stare:

didn't you just start learning python? get good at that.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
java, c, and c++ are all terrible in their own ways, but also really good in their own ways. learn ada imo

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
ada is your go-to language for blowing up french rockets

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

fidel sarcastro posted:

:stare:

didn't you just start learning python? get good at that.

i'm already 23 :/

and yeah ill stick with it

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

lollin'

got plenty of time ahead of you yet. if you've an ounce of self-awareness and a drive to improve your skills, in no time you'll "overtake" people who have been programming for years. and that aside, it's really not a competition. there is far, far more demand for software ppl than there is supply.

just write programs that stretch you and read the work of programmers better than you. that's all you need to do. don't worry about what language it's all in, practice in one will readily transfer to another.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 29, 2013

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
if ur 23 then ur a scrublord lmao

im 24 and im as big of a scrub as it gets

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

and yeah ill stick with it

python is good when you are learning. i see you are trying to write a gui in kivy for a script you wrote. go download pycharm, get a github account, and browse the code of people who implemented an input view and output view w/ stock charts and what not.

welcome to the post-documentation world of learning through inference :unsmigghh:

salisbury shake fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 29, 2013

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Pollyanna posted:

the problem as i was told is that objc is tied to apple architecture and apple itself, so it'd be a repeat of the 90s or something (i dont know what that means. i'm 8/15/1990)

like...yeah. objc is apple, while other languages are (ostensibly) multiplatform.

also objc syntax is weird as gently caress

as for java idk, i guess im just a java racist

learn haskell

or clojure it's a fun+cool language with an optional type system!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

malcolm, you graduated from oxford or something this summer, right? you land in a haskell job?

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
don't learn any programming language, they are all loving abominable. srsly save urself the effort for doing actually cool stuff like screwing girls or smth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

coffeetable posted:

malcolm, you graduated from oxford or something this summer, right? you land in a haskell job?

i wish. job is v haskell friendly though which is a plus but most of the codebase is C#