Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Seoinin posted:

giving a guy brain damage

Wait, what's this about?

nerdbot posted:

It's metal as hell! An imaginary friend is PULLING THE GHOST OUT OF SOMEONE'S BODY, TO MAKE THEM A CORPSE. That rules.

I don't feel bad for her, she killed Jade :mad:

That's pretty much how I feel about it. That was hilariously overkill, but y'know, gently caress her and her smug grin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Fred is on posted:

Wait, what's this about?

Jake has some signs of being brain damaged and not just stupid, I forget the details. One of them is that his planet's element was used to treat brain damage irl, and there were some other between the lines things like that. Some blame his planet, some blame wrestling with robots and hitting his head or something, and some think it happened offscreen.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Seoinin posted:

So, real talk for a second here - Dirk is supposed to be creepy and awful right? Because between this and giving a guy brain damage with molesterbots, he's pretty creepy and awful.

He's supposed to be a deeply flawed, heavily conflicted individual, which is supposed to contrast with Dave's hero worship of an older brother who was a mysterious, infallible, and seemingly unattainable ideal to him.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Jake has some signs of being brain damaged and not just stupid, I forget the details. One of them is that his planet's element was used to treat brain damage irl, and there were some other between the lines things like that. Some blame his planet, some blame wrestling with robots and hitting his head or something, and some think it happened offscreen.

Rereading, when you know "Jake might have brain damage" is an idea people have, you realize that Hussie lays it on pretty thick that Jake hits his head a lot.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Bam! bowling ball.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Rereading, when you know "Jake might have brain damage" is an idea people have, you realize that Hussie lays it on pretty thick that Jake hits his head a lot.

Bam! Bowling Ball.

As for Aranea, she may have served her narrative purpose by healing Jake in the first place and keeping Jade out of the picture just long enough for Roxy to escape and otherwise move things along. I'm surprised John hasn't shown up, Jade effectively keeping him off the field. So, I don't think this is a part of her plan and I don't expect Hussie to keep her around as a result, because the alternative is raising the conductor's baton and showing the sort of agency that might be going against the story he wants to tell.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, she didn't seem to know that Brain Ghost Dirk existing was thing that could happen, so I really doubt Dirk-powers were a part of her plan. Unless she planned to do this later when Real Dirk showed up? Nah.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Where does she get her knowledge of how classes and elements work, and how much does she know? She sure likes knowing things but she didn't seem to know a prince of heart could pull this off.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Wasn't, like, half her knowledge self-admitted speculation? Or was that just Calliope?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Where does she get her knowledge of how classes and elements work, and how much does she know? She sure likes knowing things but she didn't seem to know a prince of heart could pull this off.
She has existed for eons as a ghost, with tons of other ghosts. I'm sure she learned plenty about classes and aspects.

Her flaw here is that, in her hubris, she either forgot that Dirk could do that or just assumed he was the kind of meat head that wouldn't consider a course of action that didn't involve a sword. It's also possible that ripping out someone's soul is a line she didn't anticipate Dirk to cross.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Oddly enough, the only plan that still seems to be on track is Caliborn's plan to fight a fully powered Jake. Aranea derailed everyone else's, and Dirk seems to be stopping her.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Were all those ghosts from the beta timelines of the troll sessions? Maybe there was never a timeline where the heart players actually got serious about something besides cat puns and learned how to use their god tier powers.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Billions of years in the afterlife, meeting alternate timeline versions of her friends. Many of whom would be more competent in their roles than the ones she knew when she was alive, since the alpha timeline was by definition the one where they all hosed up and achieved nothing.

e:f,b

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Even if the eons spent as a ghost watching other iterations/universes play out didn't give her sufficient knowledge of the player roles, the A1 trolls also spent 6 years playing before finally giving up, and that's plenty of time to go around various temples and dungeons and learn a bunch of poo poo like the game wants you to.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Even if this is the end of Aranea's little plan, it probably won't be the end of her character. I bet Vriska and Meenah have some choice words for her when she gets back.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Were all those ghosts from the beta timelines of the troll sessions? Maybe there was never a timeline where the heart players actually got serious about something besides cat puns and learned how to use their god tier powers.

Makes me wonder what an actual rogue of heart does. Rogues are supposed to steal something for the good of others, so if this was godtier Nepeta here, she'd be... ripping out Aranea's soul so others could use it?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fister Roboto posted:

Makes me wonder what an actual rogue of heart does. Rogues are supposed to steal something for the good of others, so if this was godtier Nepeta here, she'd be... ripping out Aranea's soul so others could use it?
What with Nepeta being so involved with shipping, I think a godtier Rogue of Heart would basically steal emotions from others. Their ultimate skill would probably be to permanently change the amount of bravery or fear or passion or whatever someone feels, forever.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I kind of hope that this ends up with B.G. Dirk straight up murdering Aranea's soul, leaving her super dead forever, if only because then maybe death would FINALLY start to mean something in Homestuck again.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dorroile posted:

I kind of hope that this ends up with B.G. Dirk straight up murdering Aranea's soul, leaving her super dead forever, if only because then maybe death would FINALLY start to mean something in Homestuck again.
Considering how Aradia is so placid about the ghosts that get double-killed, I can't help but feel that they end up going somewhere.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Considering how Aradia is so placid about the ghosts that get double-killed, I can't help but feel that they end up going somewhere.

They're off enjoying a rousing game of Hungry Hungry Hippos.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

JT Jag posted:

Isn't she just placid about it because she knows that it is necessary?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Eh. I think she's so placid because they don't end up somewhere. She wanted to see the completion of the journey. Aradia may want to stay alive, but she thinks in a very unusual way.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read
Aradia told John the Dreambubbles were temporary and artificial. It may be a mystery as to whether there's another, final destination for them, but as a medium, psychopomp and former ghost herself, I think she has an idea where folks should go once the game is over, the toys are collected and placed in the chest.

Brain Dirk better hope this permakills Aranea, though. If she's even a fraction as vindictive as Vriska, the Stepford Damaras could repeatedly do to him something close to what he did to her since psychic powers work beyond the grave.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm thinking Aranea's body won't stay empty long.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bell_ posted:

Brain Dirk better hope this permakills Aranea, though. If she's even a fraction as vindictive as Vriska, the Stepford Damaras could repeatedly do to him something close to what he did to her since psychic powers work beyond the grave.

This is Mindfang we're talking about. She will definitely clear room in her schedule to poo poo upon your entire life given an opportunity. Redglare certainly didn't make it out alive.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ramos posted:

This is Mindfang we're talking about. She will definitely clear room in her schedule to poo poo upon your entire life given an opportunity. Redglare certainly didn't make it out alive.

Pretty sure Mindfang would've turned his rear end into dork chutney with the Damarmy first, then run her mouth afterwards. Which just goes to show you that Aranea has a lot to learn yet.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If this really is the Mindfang we all know and love, she'll mind control Karkat into murdering everyone and then mind control Kanaya into performing lewd acts, and then get high as poo poo and write about it later.

e: I'd actually be OK with most of those things.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 28, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Of all the stupid "ask" tumblrs, drunk mindfang was the only worthy one. So glad it was included in one of the music volumes' track art, making drunk/high mindfang official.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

JT Jag posted:

What with Nepeta being so involved with shipping, I think a godtier Rogue of Heart would basically steal emotions from others. Their ultimate skill would probably be to permanently change the amount of bravery or fear or passion or whatever someone feels, forever.

Funny, I was thinking of something completely different.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

I know this is a long shot but I kinda hope stealing Aranea's soul from her body while wearing the ring sort of ascends her to lichdom.

Like, a living soul (like original ghost Aradia) doesn't have any personality or emotions.
Maybe a living body without a soul doesn't have any ethics, morals or kindness.

Then again I've just been reading too much Junji Ito.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pleasant Friend posted:

I know this is a long shot but I kinda hope stealing Aranea's soul from her body while wearing the ring sort of ascends her to lichdom.

Like, a living soul (like original ghost Aradia) doesn't have any personality or emotions.

The 'soul' that is being pulled from her body looks like her ghost form. And we've seen that ghosts have plenty of emotions and personality, so that doesn't make sense for the Homestuck universe.

The closest we've seen to bodies without souls are probably corpses, and they don't do much of anything.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
It's probably just because I'm trans, but the first thing I thought after reading this update was "Oh man, now if somebody puts their soul in there, they can be the spider troll. :buddy:"

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Someone like, say, a person who used to share a body with another mind, died, and now has no body to return to? :aaaaa:

edit: and who always wanted to be a troll girl :aaa:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Pleasant Friend posted:

Are you seriously implying that we're seeing Aranea at her most ethical and kindest right now?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Non-living forms we've seen:

- Dreambubble Ghost - Contains all the normal emotions, memories, etc of the living being. Does not remember their death until reminded of it. Cannot leave the dreambubble*, but can use game powers / psychic powers to affect the living.
- Poltergeist - Able to exist in the "real" world, and able to use psychic powers (and game powers?), but invisible. Emotionally deadened.
- Possession - Ghost inhabiting an artificial body in the "real" world. Able to use psychic powers and game powers. Restoration of emotions, though this may not be a good thing, considering.

Not actually non-living:

- Vampire - Turns out, this was just a biological quirk. Kanaya was never actually undead.

edit:

Blackheart posted:

Someone like, say, a person who used to share a body with another mind, died, and now has no body to return to? :aaaaa:

Ooh, neat. I like that.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 29, 2013

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Blackheart posted:

Mind. Blown. :aaa:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
And the shitpost we read

Lizard Wizard posted:

Are you seriously implying that we're seeing Aranea at her most ethical and kindest right now?

I'd say she's still ahead of half the cast, even if she's not the Kindfang we were introduced to.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Blackheart posted:

"Here, why not inhabit this grisly meat-husk still echoing with the tortured screams of its previous owner? Ah go on, I'm sure it'll look great on you!"

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Seoinin posted:

"Here, why not inhabit this grisly meat-husk still echoing with the tortured screams of its previous owner? Ah go on, I'm sure it'll look great on you!"

After living with Caliborn? That poo poo'd probably be like having some nice music in the background.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

WhiffleballDude posted:

After living with Caliborn? That poo poo'd probably be like having some nice music in the background.
Hell, she'd even be an actual troll. Short of having green blood, it'd be like she's living in one of her fan-fictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Oh.

Oh poo poo.

If this happens, I will flip my poo poo and it will probably be the most adorable thing ever if we get to see Calliope react to having a body.