Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

bobfather posted:

Multitasking in iOS 7 is radically different than iOS 4-6, from the look and feel, to the way that apps are closed, down to the behavior of opening onto the last app you had open. When I first installed iOS 7 I had to search the internet to find out how to force close an app, since pressing and holding the icon no longer let me do it. They could have changed the gesture to open the multitasking tray easily, given that they changed literally everything else but that.

I liked using Zephyr to initiate app switching the same way Control Center works now. I wish they would just either combine CC with the app switcher via swipe-up from bottom behavior or combine CC with Notification Center via swipe-down from top behavior (especially since I never use NC itself now that NCSettings has been obviated by the introduction of CC), but I can't see them making that big of a change so quickly after releasing iOS 7. Maybe in 8? I really just prefer not ever having to press the home button if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
When the iOS 7 jailbreak hits, Activator will be updated to allow a swipe from the bottom to initiate the task switcher (this already exists in Activator for iOS 6). Then I will hope that someone will make a tweak that stuffs Control Center into the Notification Center under the "missed" tab, which is useless right next to the "all" tab.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?

Arrowsmith posted:

I liked using Zephyr to initiate app switching the same way Control Center works now. I wish they would just either combine CC with the app switcher via swipe-up from bottom behavior or combine CC with Notification Center via swipe-down from top behavior (especially since I never use NC itself now that NCSettings has been obviated by the introduction of CC), but I can't see them making that big of a change so quickly after releasing iOS 7. Maybe in 8? I really just prefer not ever having to press the home button if possible.

This a million times. Was gifted a 5c for my birthday and as happy as I am to leave my 4 in the past forever Zephyr and irealsms are sorely missed. It's taking much more muscle memory retraining than I expected. From never using the home button ever to all. the. loving. time.

Also iphone 5p (poor) or not, this device and ios 7 are fanfuckingtastic despite my complaints. First time I haven't gone to the top of the food chain when upgrading and I couldn't be happier.

I'll certainly at least try a jailbreak again when/if it becomes possible because I know I won't be able to resist, but in no way am I desperate for it like I have been before. Didn't think I'd be saying that either.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
These posts are the same every time a new ios comes out i swear to god.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
But if I don't have Zephyr, how can I quietly play with my phone in a bathroom stall at work?

The home button is loud.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

But if I don't have Zephyr, how can I quietly play with my phone in a bathroom stall at work?

The home button is loud.

If you're remotely serious and want an answer to that question - put your entire thumb over the button (mine can cover it entirely) and press down.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
Or use the accessibility's soft home button.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Rick Rickshaw posted:

The home button is loud.

Something is wrong with your phone if you can use the sound of its button to cover your toilet farts.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
If you think your Home button is loud, just wait until you use an iPhone 5S. That thing clicks loud enough to echo throughout the entire bathroom.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Just today I went into the restroom at work and I heard the distinct sound effects of Fruit Ninja playing over the sound of an engineer working a turd out of his butt hole.

That game is forever ruined for me. Thanks, man.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

Just today I went into the restroom at work and I heard the distinct sound effects of Fruit Ninja playing over the sound of an engineer working a turd out of his butt hole.

That game is forever ruined for me. Thanks, man.

Sorry

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Has anyone else been getting an error for the ultrasnow repository whenevery they check Cydia for updates? I've been getting it for the past couple of weeks.

Nehefer
Aug 9, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

Has anyone else been getting an error for the ultrasnow repository whenevery they check Cydia for updates? I've been getting it for the past couple of weeks.

I think you gotta change the repo from .com to .org

Or was it the other way around...?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Nehefer posted:

I think you gotta change the repo from .com to .org

Or was it the other way around...?

Changed it from .com to .org (as it was .com by default). Thanks!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Whoops, wrong thread.

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 3, 2013

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Kheldarn posted:

I just removed it. Software unlocks are always so messy, and that ultrasn0w repo has just 1 file (ultrasn0w), which I'm about 99.9% sure I will never use.

Even if the repo was working fine, removing it speeds up any refresh that Cydia does.

Besides, even with a brand-new iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S, all I had to do was pay some random person eBay $1.99 to get them unlocked.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

So should those of us on ios7 hold off on updating to 7.0.2 in hopes they jailbreak 7 soon?

Nehefer
Aug 9, 2008
Soon sounds about right. Evad3rs said they have "all the pieces for the iOS 7 jailbreak", but no release date has been given yet.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
It also depends which device you're on, not just the software version. An iOS 7 jailbreak may be released for <= A6 devices but not the new A7. If you're interested in jailbreaking it's always best to stay on the oldest possible software until all options have been exhausted. Those who come into the world of jb on brand new devices may just have to wait a little while longer.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong

shootforit posted:

So should those of us on ios7 hold off on updating to 7.0.2 in hopes they jailbreak 7 soon?
7.0.2 is just a quick hotfix that shouldn't affect jailbreakability, so If you're already on 7, it's safe to update. Also don't just take my word for it, but a dev who released a jailbreak in the past has said the same thing. (I'd link to the tweet but I can't find it right now)

Nehefer
Aug 9, 2008
Also, one of the dudes working on the jb uses a 5S, so hopefully we'll see the jb for that too.

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010
Potentially stupid question since I've been out of the jailbreak game since evad3rs' jb was first released: I have a 4S running jailbroken 6.1 that I would like to upgrade to 6.1.1 to fix some data issues, and then re-jailbreak. iTunes isn't letting me restore to the specific ipsw I downloaded (since the signing period is over, as I understand) and I can't seem to find a way around it.

Am I boned or is there a way to update and re-jb my 4S that I'm simply not seeing?

Corgi fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 5, 2013

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Corgi posted:

Potentially stupid question since I've been out of the jailbreak game since evad3rs' jb was first released: I have a 4S running jailbroken 6.1 that I would like to upgrade to 6.1.1 to fix some data issues, and then re-jailbreak. iTunes isn't letting me restore to the specific ipsw I downloaded (since the signing period is over, as I understand) and I can't seem to find a way around it.

Am I boned or is there a way to update and re-jb my 4S that I'm simply not seeing?

You will not be able to jailbreak if you change from your current state.

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010

spongeworthy posted:

You will not be able to jailbreak if you change from your current state.

Well, that's a bitch. Because of the signing, right?

Guess I'll live with resetting my network settings every other day until an iOS 7 jailbreak is out.

Edit: Looks like I have blobs for 6.1.2. Does this help me in any way?

Corgi fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 5, 2013

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Corgi posted:

Well, that's a bitch. Because of the signing, right?

Guess I'll live with resetting my network settings every other day until an iOS 7 jailbreak is out.

Yep, they stopped signing 6.1.1 back in February.

edit regarding blobs: Not on a 4S, no

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 5, 2013

Corgi
Jun 9, 2010

spongeworthy posted:

Yep, they stopped signing 6.1.1 back in February.

edit regarding blobs: Not on a 4S, no

Dammit. Oh well. Thanks for the help, digging around the web for this info was giving me a headache. I'll just be patient.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I didn't notice this mentioned before, but AT&T has started cracking down on the cheap unlocks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

I didn't notice this mentioned before, but AT&T has started cracking down on the cheap unlocks.

Are they relocking devices or just cracking down on the service providers?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I've got a 4th gen iPad on 6.1.3. I've been wary of upgrading to 7 yet but would it be a better idea to upgrade to a version of 7 that's getting signed so I can jailbreak when it hits, or is it likely to not matter what version I'm on when a jailbreak does come out.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

nrr posted:

I've got a 4th gen iPad on 6.1.3. I've been wary of upgrading to 7 yet but would it be a better idea to upgrade to a version of 7 that's getting signed so I can jailbreak when it hits, or is it likely to not matter what version I'm on when a jailbreak does come out.

Wow I didn't even think about that, but I'll second the question.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
The way it's worked in the past is that the jailbreak is released for whatever the latest iOS version is at the time. It's just unlikely that Apple are going to fix the exploits used in a jailbreak when the jailbreak isn't even released yet. Also, an update that fixes the exploits after the jailbreak is released generally takes a week to a month, so you'll have some time to update and jailbreak once it comes out.

iOS 6 and 7 are different beasts however- the versions have some major changes and I wouldn't be surprised if a 6.1.3/4 jailbreak comes out that isn't compatible with 7, and vice versa.

Cawd Rud fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 6, 2013

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are they relocking devices or just cracking down on the service providers?

I'm still trying to find info. I read that AT&T was trying to block the surge of 5S and 5C unlocks, but all unlocks are getting denied (I found out from a failed 4S unlock attempt).

I don't know of they're going to review records and start locking phones. The whole thing was like an underground movement against an evil corporation and questionable law, so I don't know how vocal some people will be about it.

Supposedly you can still get unlocks through some people (such as chronicunlocks.com), but this has pushed the price way up. What you could do for $1.99 last week may cost you $40 today.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Considering that these days you can mostly just buy an iPhone for the carrier you want, unlocks are probably less of a thing anyway.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I really doubt they'll re-lock the phones. It would open possible legal action and be too arduous to discern which ones were obtained through eBay and those legally unlockable phones that were purchased before January 26th of this year.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
http://blog.ih8sn0w.com/2013/10/its-dumping-season.html

If you have a Mac and one of these devices, get dumping!

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I must have messed up a setting somewhere, but I can't seem to reverse it. How do I get LockInfo to display calendar events that are happening today? It's still showing everything for the next month, but it's super frustrating that it won't show stuff for today.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
According to @winocm, "6.1.4 is going to be jailbroken publicly in a bit."

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

So T-Mobile caps "tethering" on unlimited plans at 2.5GB. Does anyone have T-Mobile here on a jailbroken iPhone using PdaNet or TetherMe? Does that traffic expose itself as tethered?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

spongeworthy posted:

According to @winocm, "6.1.4 is going to be jailbroken publicly in a bit."

I am getting so excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Aggro posted:

I must have messed up a setting somewhere, but I can't seem to reverse it. How do I get LockInfo to display calendar events that are happening today? It's still showing everything for the next month, but it's super frustrating that it won't show stuff for today.

I just now saw this somehow. Did you get this figured out yet?

• Locked thread