Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Does anyone else have to stop and do a context check for whether people mean "new old stock" or giggle gas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Does anyone else have to stop and do a context check for whether people mean "new old stock" or giggle gas?

Man those TCC guys really appreciate a good limited slip differential.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Here's a terrible car forum thread: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthread.php?43575-Mike-Benvo-gets-hit-by-banhammer-on-E90-M3post

Long story short some guy who copies people's software reprogramming stuff for BMWs gets caught, acts a fool, then banned/called out and a hilarious slapfight ensues with an experienced tuner calling him out on his poo poo. Usual internet forum drama but funny.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

My brother-in-law's SUV. It was in the driveway before my sister's friend decided to drive over drunk.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Well, I just figured out that the landscaping crew was casing cars for break-ins and car theft at my apartment. I got the whole crew fired and the police are now investigating. I think I just started a turf war or something but you don't gently caress with people's cars.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Well, I just figured out
How?

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

All of the car theft in the past year happened on the one day of the week they work. After my girlfriend's car was hit I started interviewing neighbors. Yesterday I woke up and saw one of them walking down the line of cars looking into windows. I walked up to a group of them and said "hey I'm not saying anything about you but I know your homies are casing cars out here. Just letting you know I'll be up at night." At that point they began to circle me, making death threats and saying "what are you going to do about it____." at which point I got the police involved.

E: I'm talking about like 3 to 5 break ins a weekend and maybe a chop shop "abandoned car stripped of all the body panels left on blocks on the freeway" every month or two style operation, not just some yardworkers breaking into cars. These guys are just spotters, it's obvious that someone else is managing the break ins and theft. That's just what I've discovered happening at this complex and apparently they work on hundreds of sites a month. The deeper I dig the more I find. There's been an explosion of car theft in the past two years in this city according to the police officers I've talked to so far.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 28, 2013

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

All of the car theft in the past year happened on the one day of the week they work. After my girlfriend's car was hit I started interviewing neighbors. Yesterday I woke up and saw one of them walking down the line of cars looking into windows. I walked up to a group of them and said "hey I'm not saying anything about you but I know your homies are casing cars out here. Just letting you know I'll be up at night." At that point they began to circle me, making death threats and saying "what are you going to do about it____." at which point I got the police involved.

E: I'm talking about like 3 to 5 break ins a weekend and maybe a chop shop "abandoned car stripped of all the body panels left on blocks on the freeway" every month or two style operation, not just some yardworkers breaking into cars. These guys are just spotters, it's obvious that someone else is managing the break ins and theft. That's just what I've discovered happening at this complex and apparently they work on hundreds of sites a month. The deeper I dig the more I find. There's been an explosion of car theft in the past two years in this city according to the police officers I've talked to so far.
drat! Catching them, and stepping in it at the same time!
Sooooo...how much is it to break your lease?
Did you, even for a fraction of a second, wish you were Jackie Chan or Jet Li or someone like that?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Previa_fun posted:

Man those TCC guys really appreciate a good limited slip differential.

Just don't get them started on meth injection

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Kenny Rogers posted:

drat! Catching them, and stepping in it at the same time!
Sooooo...how much is it to break your lease?
Did you, even for a fraction of a second, wish you were Jackie Chan or Jet Li or someone like that?

I'm not a confrontational person, so no. If it had not been so brazen and in broad daylight I would have not said anything. I've already been offered to break my lease for free with my full deposit back, I was planning to move soon anyway.

There have been many complaints to the police in the past about these guys casing cars, apparently, so I'm not just being paranoid. They're just taking it a lot more seriously because of the threats, some of which the cop I called heard himself. It was perfect because when he rolled up they had my girlfriend's car boxed in and they were circling me and whistling and shouting "puta" (oh boy let's keep race out of this) and now that's all documented.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 28, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Speaking of car theft, my cousin had her like 2012 or 13 Toyota highlander stolen last week, and then it was found in the woods trashed. What I don't understand is how the hell do dumbass joyriding kids steal a car that I assume has an immobilizer and anti-theft system?

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

jamal posted:

Speaking of car theft, my cousin had her like 2012 or 13 Toyota highlander stolen last week, and then it was found in the woods trashed. What I don't understand is how the hell do dumbass joyriding kids steal a car that I assume has an immobilizer and anti-theft system?

Sounds like neither of those helped her... Theft deterrents don't really work most of the time.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
You mean a car thief has a hard time making intelligent choices?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If someone really wants to steal your car they pretty much can and will. All those theft deterrents can be gotten around one way or another even on modern cars.

Locks and such are only there to keep honest people honest, none of that is going to stop a determined criminal. Goes for cars, bikes, houses, everything. The most important thing you can do is have insurance.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Guinness posted:

If someone really wants to steal your car they pretty much can and will. All those theft deterrents can be gotten around one way or another even on modern cars.

Locks and such are only there to keep honest people honest, none of that is going to stop a determined criminal. Goes for cars, bikes, houses, everything. The most important thing you can do is have insurance.

Basically the only thing you can do is park your car under a light somewhere where they would have to go the same way they came from, and even then some car thieves won't be even slightly deterred. If someone wants to take your car it will happen.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Sounds like neither of those helped her... Theft deterrents don't really work most of the time.

It's a shame that we don't have things like the MagnaVolt from the Robocop movies. It could probably work with modern cars by putting a chip inside the owner's skin or something.

Or, for something more subtle, you could have a switch with a 3 minute time delay that reroutes the exhaust back inside the car (specifically the AC unit). And then have the power windows roll up by themselves and become locked. And lock all of the doors.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 28, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well yeah, but I'm wondering how you even start that car without the key, or is it that easy to bypass an immobilizer? The ECU will not let the car start unless it has sees chip in the key.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

jamal posted:

Well yeah, but I'm wondering how you even start that car without the key, or is it that easy to bypass an immobilizer? The ECU will not let the car start unless it has sees chip in the key.

I don't know that much about HOW they do it, but usually immobilizers are only an extra few moments of effort to a professional. Really stealthily wired professional level aftermarket ones can be a lot more difficult or actually deter a theft.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well, I just figured out that the landscaping crew was casing cars for break-ins and car theft at my apartment. I got the whole crew fired and the police are now investigating. I think I just started a turf war or something but you don't gently caress with people's cars.

:allears:

Of course.

Who/which thread do I go to for basic paint touch-up advice? I've got a silver bmw with a couple of rust spots I want to stop in their tracks, but they're on visible parts of the car.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Cakefool posted:

Of course.

Who/which thread do I go to for basic paint touch-up advice? I've got a silver bmw with a couple of rust spots I want to stop in their tracks, but they're on visible parts of the car.

detailing thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

jamal posted:

Its easier to steal the key, or steal it long enough to get a copy made with the transponder cloned.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Cakefool posted:

Of course.

Because the idea of landscapers casing burglaries in suburbia is so far fetched. Especially when there is a history of complaints and suspicious behavior reports from other residents. And stolen property has been found from several of the break ins in the woods nearby, which would indicate it was done by someone vaguely familiar with the area, or should I say "landscape." All of these break ins weren't coincidence, there's a lot of signs that point to it being organized crime ex: the only cars stolen for parts have been Subarus. And the daytime thefts indicate that the owners themselves were cased.

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 29, 2013

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

the toyota one in the diesel landcruisers one of the better ones out there- the ignition barrel is tied to the key and the barrel is tied to the ECU- If you loose all your keys you have to replace the key, barrel and ECU.

The ususal theft method for them is a flat bed truck, then strip for parts, as the engines alone are $12K.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If we start implanting transponders into our hands then criminals will just start chopping them off before they steal the car.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah honestly if they really want your poo poo there's not much that can stop a flatbed short of always parallel parking, which isn't feasible most places.

One thing that's apparently pretty popular is using minivans to steal motorcycles. A while back a friend told me some (anecdotal) story about guys who would cut the floorboard out of the cargo area. Pop the hatch, back up around the bike, close hatch, winch up and drive away at your leisure. Never found any documented evidence of that, but there's plenty of youtube vids of guys jacking sportbikes by just popping them through the side door with the back seats removed. I guess the winch thing might be viable for, like, big Harleys or custom choppers that won't fit the other way? Who knows.

Terrible car poo poo! Right before I left a guy brought his Charger (V6, they're always V6es) in to have new custom wheels put on. Open up the boxes and they're ~~JESSE JAMES~~ .44 Magnum rims, complete with fake shell casings around the edge:

(Not my pic, but that's the exact rim w/ a similar tire size.)

They were used, so when I left they had only found 2 hub-center rings, and there were no lug nuts that would fit, so they had to special order a full set and rush them to the store.

There was also a real, live .44 round in one of the boxes. :stonk:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rhyno posted:

If we start implanting transponders into our hands then criminals will just start chopping them off before they steal the car.

If the iPhone 5s thieves haven't snagged all your fingers first

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

Here's a terrible car forum thread: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthread.php?43575-Mike-Benvo-gets-hit-by-banhammer-on-E90-M3post

Long story short some guy who copies people's software reprogramming stuff for BMWs gets caught, acts a fool, then banned/called out and a hilarious slapfight ensues with an experienced tuner calling him out on his poo poo. Usual internet forum drama but funny.

Jesus, that is quite the story--I'm a customer of BPM too! :eek:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Yeah honestly if they really want your poo poo there's not much that can stop a flatbed short of always parallel parking, which isn't feasible most places.

One thing that's apparently pretty popular is using minivans to steal motorcycles. A while back a friend told me some (anecdotal) story about guys who would cut the floorboard out of the cargo area. Pop the hatch, back up around the bike, close hatch, winch up and drive away at your leisure. Never found any documented evidence of that, but there's plenty of youtube vids of guys jacking sportbikes by just popping them through the side door with the back seats removed. I guess the winch thing might be viable for, like, big Harleys or custom choppers that won't fit the other way? Who knows.

When I was into sportbikes, the biggest culprit was always four dudes and a pickup truck with a mattress on the bed.

The truck pulls up, the dudes jump out and pick the bike up, lay it onto the mattress and drive off. Poof.

otaku69
May 18, 2003

Das Volk posted:

That might have been a good read if I was able to read the banned guys posts but, I have to make 1000 post for the privilege of seeing both sides of the fight.

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!

Jakcson posted:

It's a shame that we don't have things like the MagnaVolt from the Robocop movies. It could probably work with modern cars by putting a chip inside the owner's skin or something.

There is something out there very close to it called The AutoTaser. It was basically a mix between The Club and a taser. They only made them for a few years, so they are hard to find.

Turn your '91 Taurus into a REAL electric car!

One of the upsides to living in a town that's pretty much dead on its feet is that you see a lot of cars like this Foocus.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Saw this in the parking lot of the gas station. The giant spoiler and massive exhaust weren't shocking, but I'm pretty sure this was a dryer vent cut into the hood. It was also duct tapped all around.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

otaku69 posted:

That might have been a good read if I was able to read the banned guys posts but, I have to make 1000 post for the privilege of seeing both sides of the fight.

That forum has so much wrong with it, I just registered to read the thread, but the other shitfest threads on places like m3post got deleted.

thealphabetsez: if you want to change I can likely get you a discount from another tuner if you PM me. Not sure if I'd feel safe running that guy's stuff.

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!

The angle of the car, the flags in the background, and the near perfect placement of the pillar and garbage cans make that look like a strange opposite-day version of the official Nissan press pictures.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Because the idea of landscapers casing burglaries in suburbia is so far fetched. Especially when there is a history of complaints and suspicious behavior reports from other residents. And stolen property has been found from several of the break ins in the woods nearby, which would indicate it was done by someone vaguely familiar with the area, or should I say "landscape." All of these break ins weren't coincidence, there's a lot of signs that point to it being organized crime ex: the only cars stolen for parts have been Subarus. And the daytime thefts indicate that the owners themselves were cased.

Is this by Seattle by any chance? I've got a clapped-out subaru I'm looking to offload. :v:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

jamal posted:

Maybe it wasn't just dumbass joyriders then, maybe pros were using it to rob houses or businesses or something else and dumped it when it got too hot.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I walked up to a group of them and said "hey I'm not saying anything about you but I know your homies are casing cars out here. Just letting you know I'll be up at night." At that they began to circle me, making death threats and saying "what are you going to do about it____." at which point I got the police involved.

The deeper I dig the more I find. There's been an explosion of car theft in the past two years in this city according to the police officers I've talked to so far.

It was perfect because when he rolled up they had my girlfriend's car boxed in and they were circling me and whistling and shouting "puta" (oh boy let's keep race out of this) and now that's all documented.

Because the idea of landscapers casing burglaries in suburbia is so far fetched.

No, landscapers casing for burglaries doesn't sound too far fetched, but everything you've posted reads like dogwhistle racist poo poo that didn't happen.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

jamal posted:

I see someone isn't familiar with GM's mid-late 00s Passlock system.

The one that uses a switch turned by the tip of the key to disarm, instead of an actual chip somewhere. That switch is easily bypassed by cutting one wire and doing a re-learn (you get a constant security light afterwards, but it'll drive). If you really want to make it better, you can snip a couple of wires, substitute some resistors, and do a re-learn... with no security light. :downsgun:

That switch is also prone to failure, particularly in cold climates - they only run 5V through the switch instead of 12V, add some grease that turns into cement at low temps and... welp!

The upside is new keys for my 2006 GM are a whopping $3 at any hardware store.

Cakefool posted:

No, landscapers casing for burglaries doesn't sound too far fetched, but everything you've posted reads like dogwhistle racist poo poo that didn't happen.

Their description honestly sounds drat accurate for a few places I've lived (and worked). I learned why pinche gringos really shouldn't live in predominantly minority areas a long time ago :ese:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 29, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Yeah, parallel parking doesn't work either. In another life I did some "vehicle recovery" work for a lovely chain of buy-here-pay-heres. I can get a car out of a tight parallel parking spot with a stinger in about 20 seconds flat when I'm in practice. The other guys were even better at it than I was.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

As much as I hate truTV (and especially Operation Repo), agreed - a good truck operator on a bad day can yank a boxed in car in 30-90 seconds. Worst case, you fork it, haul rear end for about a block, then load it properly. And you better believe the bank will pass the damages along to the (now former) owner when it gets auctioned.

The only reliable way to hide from the repo guys is to make your payments on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Worst case, you fork it, haul rear end for about a block, then load it properly.

What do you mean worst case? That's how you do it, period. It was this company's SOP (call sheriff to notify when you find the car, hook it, beat rear end at least a couple turns away, then strap it down or transfer to a rollback if necessary). No need to hang around to possibly get into a confrontation. Taking somebody's car (even if they haven't been paying for it) is a good way to end up staring down the wrong end of a gun.