Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Keldroc posted:

A) Brainstorm is not boring.
B) Fansproject showed Mindwipe at BotCon.

Boring is clearly subjective. And by "do" I mean "release for sale to the public" not "fart around with prototypes for 2 years".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

Good luck with that. I suspect we will never see a Headmaster from Hasbro again. Function X figures cost a lot less than $500, should you get tired of waiting.

The targetmasters have all been pretty good. Cassette bots have been fairly spot on and came in cassette bots only packs which was something that wasn't supposed to happen prior. Also Metroplex is 2 feet tall.

Headmasters really don't seem that much out of the realms of possibility, but how much are the 3rd party headmasters supposed to go for, like 20-30 dollars?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I think the average for 3rd party headmasters has been $70. Not exactly a bargain, but not totally unfair either.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

So, what's the general consensus on third-party Devastators? There are a few options out there, and I don't really want to look through fifty sites for a run down. I'm not buying any time soon, but I'd still like to know the pros, cons, and general feeling about them.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The problem with Headmasters has been discussed to death. If the play pattern involves something crucial which can be lost by the end user, Hasbro is pretty reluctant to return to that gimmick. It's the one area we may never see a Hasbro version of again.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Re: Third party devastators

What I've heard again and again is that the MakeToys Giant is a better toy, and that TFC Hercules is a better display piece.

I have no idea what that means though. I have Hercules. He is fantastic. I think the distinction is purely aesthetic--I liked the look of Hercules better (especially his arms), so I got him. Worth every penny

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

From what I've seen the general consensus is the opposite, actually.

But yeah both are great toys and people like to make up silly arguments against the one they didn't pick. You're right, just pick the one you like more and go with it, can't go wrong there.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Blackheart posted:

Now, an IDW comics-related question: this is broad enough that it shouldn't be spoilers, but if it somehow is just please tell me and I'll spoiler 'em up... Just how powerful are Phase sixers supposed to be in relation to, for example, combiners? I mean we know that IDW Devastator is supposed to be crazy powerful and apparently combiners are a desirable thing, but P6ers are described (and shown as) stupidly overpowered death machines. How do they compare to, say, Megatron? I know that they're hard-wired to fear fighting him, but that's a safety measure, is he still on equal "power" terms with them? We know that they can be taken down, but for example in Black Shadow's case it wasn't clear if it was done through careful strategy or just force.

The problem is that their introduction in fiction is basically "can destroy a planetary civilization solo" and their actual results in the comics vary. It's a familiar trope to WH40K readers, who read fluff pieces in codexes making a race all but invincible, but they will be chumps the next time they're mentioned (in someone else's codex).

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Blackheart posted:

From what I've seen the general consensus is the opposite, actually.

But yeah both are great toys and people like to make up silly arguments against the one they didn't pick. You're right, just pick the one you like more and go with it, can't go wrong there.

Isn't one of them like $200 more than the other? If the quality of each product is comparable, then price seems like a good way to make a decision.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

GD_American posted:

The problem is that their introduction in fiction is basically "can destroy a planetary civilization solo" and their actual results in the comics vary. It's a familiar trope to WH40K readers, who read fluff pieces in codexes making a race all but invincible, but they will be chumps the next time they're mentioned (in someone else's codex).

Yeah, I suspected as much. It varies between writers then, but the whole "destroy civilizations on their own" made expectations too high.

revtoiletduck posted:

Isn't one of them like $200 more than the other? If the quality of each product is comparable, then price seems like a good way to make a decision.

Initially yes, but aftermarket prices have reduced the gap between them. At the same price I'd still go for Giant since I like the molds more, however. It wouldn't surprise me if Maketoys goes for another run of Green Giant eventually, or even a silly repaint like Hercules' Perseus variant.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

GD_American posted:

Wasn't one of the Phase Sixers taken out by the DJD in MTMTE? Black Shadow, or something?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The phase sixers were not introduced as being able to take on civilizations, they were introduced as capable of taking on civilizations in phase six. Phase six is after the 'cons have extracted nearly everything of value from a planet after plummeting its civilization into massive civil war. It's also sort of implied by Overlord that the Autobots don't properly assess dealing with him - They just sort of run in and smash into phase sixers. I think given how Sixshot (who is supposedly Overlord's better, especially since he can't run out of energon) lost to a titan almost instantly but survived a combiner could probably take a phase sixer on. Honestly they seem more suited to individual combat and their missions because of endurance and stamina, not destructive potential.

Xenomrph posted:

Wasn't one of the Phase Sixers taken out by the DJD in MTMTE? Black Shadow, or something?
Yeah, it's been implied that the DJD have been forced to put down several of the warriors elite, with Black Shadow being the last. Sixshot is apparently still out there though - I kinda get the feeling Megatron is portrayed as reluctant to lean on phase sixers/warriors elite past the apex of the war, so maybe that cleans up the plothole.

edit: Man rereading issue 14 where Overlord's origins are discussed has a bit where Chromedome discussed lobotomizing "high risk individuals" to control their urges while Pharma is in the shot. We all knew what he meant but daaaaamn did Roberts really lay that one in.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 29, 2013

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Boring is clearly subjective. And by "do" I mean "release for sale to the public" not "fart around with prototypes for 2 years".

A fine attempt to put a negative spin on an awesome figure, but out of all the third party companies, Fansproject is probably the one that shows prototypes the closest to release, usually less than a year out. Mindwipe is next up after their Brainstorm, and BotCon in June was the first they showed that prototype at all.

WendigoJohnson posted:

The targetmasters have all been pretty good. Cassette bots have been fairly spot on and came in cassette bots only packs which was something that wasn't supposed to happen prior. Also Metroplex is 2 feet tall.

Headmasters really don't seem that much out of the realms of possibility, but how much are the 3rd party headmasters supposed to go for, like 20-30 dollars?

They're out of the realm of possibility because Hasbro has pretty much said multiple times they won't make any, ever. The reasoning here is that if kids lose the little robot, the entire toy is useless because it has no head. This is why we have seen Targetmasters but not Headmasters in the CHUG line. It's not a "OMG HASBRO IGNORES HEADMASTERS" thing, it's a very understandable policy regarding essential small pieces that are easily lost. We might see Headmaster characters, but they won't have detachable heads that turn into little robots.

The Function X figures are $60-70, plus shipping which will vary based on your location.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 29, 2013

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

After Code being such an amazing figure, I'm completely sold on the FP Headmasters line. Especially considering ToyWorld's offerings are a good $30 more each.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Kurui Reiten posted:

So, what's the general consensus on third-party Devastators? There are a few options out there, and I don't really want to look through fifty sites for a run down. I'm not buying any time soon, but I'd still like to know the pros, cons, and general feeling about them.
There's only two, MMC's Giant and TFC's Hercules. Even though I'm a Hercules owner I think Giant probably looks better, but the drawbacks are he's smaller (the members are apparently the size of a small deluxe) and he has more combiner parts that need to be set aside. His lower arms turn into some vague kind of carts that can be towed behind the vehicles. Hercules looks more toy-like, but he's bigger (each member is the size of a voyager) and more self-contained. Other than the chest shield, all the combiner parts can slot into the individual robots somewhere. Granted this leaves Scavenger and Bonecrusher with big hands hanging off their backs in robot mode, and the official carrying mode for the hand in Boncrusher's vehicle mode is crap, but it can be hidden under him between his treads.

Personally the size and lack of extra parts sealed the deal for me. I like my combiners as large and with as little kibble as possible. They're both good figures, it's really down to personal preference.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I love the FP Mindwipe so much. Original Mindwipe was a robot with some bat wings that folded up into a cube with bat wings and a little flip up bat head.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

They're out of the realm of possibility because Hasbro has pretty much said multiple times they won't make any, ever. The reasoning here is that if kids lose the little robot, the entire toy is useless because it has no head. This is why we have seen Targetmasters but not Headmasters in the CHUG line. It's not a "OMG HASBRO IGNORES HEADMASTERS" thing, it's a very understandable policy regarding essential small pieces that are easily lost. We might see Headmaster characters, but they won't have detachable heads that turn into little robots.

The Function X figures are $60-70, plus shipping which will vary based on your location.

If their heads aren't detachable but still accurate in robot mode that would be fine. Look at Double Dealer, he's not a powermaster in his new form but still pretty accurate in robot mode(despite being a retool).

I just wish the voyagers would come with the targetmasters that the legends have. They would be to scale in weapon mode with the larger figures. Roller is about the same size as Sanstorm's gun.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I have both yellow Giant and Hercules. Giant is cool but Hercules has more mass and is more imposing. He's also a bit floppier as a result, but it isn't too bad. If I had to pick between the two I'd go with Hercules since Voyager sized Constructicons seems like a no-brainer to me.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Thunderwing and Bludgeon weren't pretenders but were still good renditions of the characters. Having the Headmasters turn up and just have regular heads, but be like Human Alliance toys with a little robot instead of a human (Nebulan Alliance?). Or even just a regular toy no gimmicks.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Rereading MTMTE from the start,
(Spoilers for issue 2 to issue 21, caution!!)

http://imgur.com/5tKabcY
http://imgur.com/jc8MKoO
http://imgur.com/ceMl8kR

Such a awesome joke.

Veg fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 29, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Veg posted:

Such a awesome joke.

Huh?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

EthanSteele posted:

Thunderwing and Bludgeon weren't pretenders but were still good renditions of the characters. Having the Headmasters turn up and just have regular heads, but be like Human Alliance toys with a little robot instead of a human (Nebulan Alliance?). Or even just a regular toy no gimmicks.

Well sure, and that works out just fine, especially considering the versions of those characters we're likely to get from Hasbro are the IDW ones, which aren't Headmasters anyway. But as someone who loves the original Headmaster gimmick and brilliantly engineered Transformers, the Function X line is a godsend.

Seriously, folks, get your hands on a Code and you will never look back.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

A Magic: The Gathering reference? The second one has coloured circles arranged in the sequenced used by the colours of mana.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 29, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Keldroc posted:

That's also why any future combiners are going to be like WFC Bruticus and Prime Abominus. Weep for the future!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Keldroc posted:

As a kid I saw Headmasters and thought they were stupid. My opinion has never wavered.

The only time they rationalized it to make sense was in TF:Animated, of all places.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BizarroAzrael posted:

A Magic: The Gathering reference? The second one has coloured circles arranged in the sequenced used by the colours of mana.
It isn't, it's a reference to the guiding hand as discussed in the annual.

Skids was possibly speaking to one of their sparks or sometimes.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Veg posted:

Such a awesome joke.

You forgot one:
http://imgur.com/zpnKzAw

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought it was a reference to Transformers: Cybertron. Cyber planet keys and whatnot.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought it was a reference to Transformers: Cybertron. Cyber planet keys and whatnot.
This is what I thought as well. Looking forward to finding out more about that dimension/spark/whatever.

I picked up a Spyshot 6 today at a local toy show. He is a really cool little bot! The head reminds me of Rung and it has killer light piping.

Have some pics!

e: bonus

TheDK fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 29, 2013

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Keldroc posted:

Seriously, folks, get your hands on a Code and you will never look back.

Unless you're me. I thought Code was lame, sold it, and un-pre-ordered the others.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Aaahhh that owns.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

That's also why any future combiners are going to be like WFC Bruticus and Prime Abominus. Weep for the future!

WFC Bruticus was pretty good. Certainly much better than the Energon Version.

Prime Abominus looks like poo poo though, he's what would happen if the Powercore Combiners had robot modes for their limbs.

Then again I have all four versions of Bruticus so I may just be a tad biased. Having each one with a set of matching limbs really does make them look badass. Especialy if you have Brawl or Swindle as each limb he just looks so chunky and burly that you couldn't hate it. I also love their individual modes, especially Brawl's and Onslaught's robot mode.

Blastoff only looks good in that fan made mode. However G1 blastoff wasn't all that great either, so at least he's a step up from that. I think that we'll get voyager combiner components eventually, we already have 2 foot tall Metroplex so it's not like they won't go all out ever again. Having even an 18 inch tall combiner wouldn't be out of the realms of possibility.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 30, 2013

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

WendigoJohnson posted:

Then again I have all four versions of Bruticus so I may just be a tad biased. Having each one with a set of matching limbs really does make them look badass. Especialy if you have Brawl or Swindle as each limb he just looks so chunky and burly that you couldn't hate it. I also love their individual modes, especially Brawl's and Onslaught's robot mode.

You're the first person I've seen who likes Onslaught's robot anything. I also have an irrational love of the FOC combaticons, but even I admit the Onslaught mold is a hot loving mess. Those arms :psyduck:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

3 posted:

You're the first person I've seen who likes Onslaught's robot anything. I also have an irrational love of the FOC combaticons, but even I admit the Onslaught mold is a hot loving mess. Those arms :psyduck:

It really works with Impactor. I don't know why but the Head sculpt just really brings out that one mold.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

3 posted:

Same here,as much as I like the big guy Onslaught's arms and Blastoff's shoulders are inexcusable.

That said I'm sure we will get more and better combiners in the future, they sure milked the FoC combaticons' molds as much as they could. Still curious about that unnamed legends military vehicles combiner they showed last SDCC.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Blackheart posted:

Still curious about that unnamed legends military vehicles combiner they showed last SDCC.

Going by the robot modes faces, they look like a cross between Animated and Prime. One of them even is wearing a monocle, I think it's the fat robot that turns into a tank. So they don't look like they're supposed to be G1 guys. I was honestly thinking that they could be Jetstorm, Strika, and Obsidian. We're already getting Rhinox and Waspinator so that would explain Tankor and Thrust missing.

That and the green and black doesn't really resemble a G1 color scheme. You need some light blues, grays, purples, and dark reds to be that.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

SXS Toys Not-Blurr

Huge shield kibble aside, I like it. Heads a wee small but it could be a weird angle.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

TheDK posted:

This is what I thought as well. Looking forward to finding out more about that dimension/spark/whatever.

I picked up a Spyshot 6 today at a local toy show. He is a really cool little bot! The head reminds me of Rung and it has killer light piping.

Have some pics!

e: bonus

The Real Gear subline was the best thing to come out of the movie line. Cool little robots that actually looked like real Transformers and explored a kind of alt mode that hadn't really be done since G1. I wish they'd kept making them throughout the movies instead of just the first one.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

TheDK posted:

I highly recommend the yellow binoculars guy if you ever get a chance to pick him up. After I purged nearly all the 2007 movie stuff from my collection, that one and the Spyshot 6 are the two RealGear toys I made sure to keep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Any of y'all see the price tag on that Ultimetal Optimus? It's 78,000Yen
http://blog.yahoo.com/_ED274AZGFINLESDVVHRADMVIMU/articles/1291725/index
Makes sense though seeing how it's really big, really drat big