Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

When were you on? I was on half the day and no one was there but me. Oh well, got some stuff done on my hero and villain. Still not as fun without goons though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

mastajake posted:

When were you on? I was on half the day and no one was there but me. Oh well, got some stuff done on my hero and villain. Still not as fun without goons though.

I haven't been on the mumble today because I've only halfway paying attention while doing housework. I was watching Goonsquad but nobody was saying anything...

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?

Ajax posted:

One reason I slightly prefer the Hero side is in my timezone, when I actually queue for 2 or 4 mans, they pop - whereas the villain side seems pretty sparse.

And during one of my sparse villain duos tonight, a pinoy (fire tank) called me a 'human being' and other words I don't understand, for rolling greed on a healer shield :shrug:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ajax posted:

And during one of my sparse villain duos tonight, a pinoy (fire tank) called me a 'human being' and other words I don't understand, for rolling greed on a healer shield :shrug:

Since fire tanks stack restoration, could be he just looked at stats and failed to realize it was a healer only item?

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
Possibly, but it was the HIVE duo (t1) and while I didn't check his weapon level, he wasn't using a shield. Also the shield was significantly (like every t1 weapon drop) worse than the PvP weapon everyone grabs at 30. Either way, I rolled greed - what was I meant to do, pass?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ajax posted:

Possibly, but it was the HIVE duo (t1) and while I didn't check his weapon level, he wasn't using a shield. Also the shield was significantly (like every t1 weapon drop) worse than the PvP weapon everyone grabs at 30. Either way, I rolled greed - what was I meant to do, pass?

Oh, he was still dumb, if it was a healer only weapon. Just trying to figure out the insane pubbie logic. :downs:

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just got a weapon drop in a T3 duo with the stats: 103.5 dps, 134 health, 18 power, 28 precision, and 65 might. 56 item level.

My previous weapon was: 77.9 dps, 65 toughness, 632 health, 83 power, 17 precision, 34 might, 7 restoration, 37 vitalization, and 16 dominance. This was the second tier of pvp weapon (50 MoV). 30 item level/81 pvp item level.

I experimented with the new one and have really been digging it. I am on my hard light controller and play in controller stance but definitely have an emphasis on dps. I've done alerts and duos with it and have noticed an increase in dps and not really any change in power out/control.

Was this a good move? I'm keeping the other weapon for pvp anyway, but for pve purposes. I'm really worried about the ~500 decrease in health but I haven't noticed anything. I've always been made of paper.

The weapon I could buy in CC is: 103.5 dps, 155 health, 9 precision, 18 might, 40 vitalization, 20 dominance. 56 item level. It seems overall better than the drop I got (though still noticeably less health than the pvp one) with a little less power, precision, and might.

What do you guys think? (I'm currently CR 60).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

PvP gear gives a ton of Health because it's supposed to let you survive longer fighting players (who do a lot more damage than typical mobs). The only reason I would use a PvP weapon is because you can't buy a decent level 30 PvE one - now that you've gotten one to drop there's no reason not to use it in PvE, IMO.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm assuming the CC one you're looking at is Controller-specific? Because that sounds like the usual role-specific gear as opposed to a DPS one: sacrifice a little damage statwise to give you a boost to your 'required' stats.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I'm assuming the CC one you're looking at is Controller-specific? Because that sounds like the usual role-specific gear as opposed to a DPS one: sacrifice a little damage statwise to give you a boost to your 'required' stats.

If I'm reading it right he had the second-tier Controller PvP weapon and the one that dropped in the duo is a generic 'DPS' weapon. I'd still take it over the PvP weapon for PvE content, the ~30 extra DPS rating will be more useful than the stats he's losing IMO.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's in any way like he should go for the PvP one. I meant comparing the drop vs. CC item, it sounds like he's comparing DPS to role-specific and that's where some of the discrepancy comes in.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
One of the T3 duos (think it's the Bane one) has mainly weapon drops usually for specific roles. But it's all luck as to what drops. Once you reach CR67ish you can see and buy 113dps weapons from central city that are role specific.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah that probably is the discrepancy. And I got it from the Bane mission. I'll probably just keep running it daily until I get the controller-specific one. Thanks guys.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Get the CC one it has a chance to return power (unless they changed this).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

J3ng4 posted:

Get the CC one it has a chance to return power (unless they changed this).

Nope, it still does. The CC weapons are all awesome.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Isn't it only of they have a cc weapon too, or was I reading that wrong?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

mastajake posted:

Isn't it only of they have a cc weapon too, or was I reading that wrong?

Well, sorta. It'll affect OTHERS in the group if they're using a SPARC weapon, but you'll get the boost if it goes off.

Also if you hit CR 60-something there's a second tier of weapon (SPARC MkII) for an extra boost. That was a handy discovery.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah I'll definitely wait for that one. The problem is that I virtually never have issues with power so that particular benefit would not be too beneficial.

Another question: I know the chained powers work off of precision, and that dps adds to precision, so a higher dps makes my chained constructs deal more damage right? Want to make sure I'm not fooling myself here and it only works for the actual weapon or something.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

As I understand it the DPS stat is sort of the baseline damage. Then every 10 Precision adds 1 DPS on top of that (no scaling or soft cap to that AFAIK), but it of course only applies to weapon hits or Light/Earth/Celestial combo stuff.

So a 103dps weapon with say +200 Precision is effectively a 123dps weapon.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

WarLocke posted:

As I understand it the DPS stat is sort of the baseline damage. Then every 10 Precision adds 1 DPS on top of that (no scaling or soft cap to that AFAIK), but it of course only applies to weapon hits or Light/Earth/Celestial combo stuff.

So a 103dps weapon with say +200 Precision is effectively a 123dps weapon.

This is correct.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

mastajake posted:

Yeah I'll definitely wait for that one. The problem is that I virtually never have issues with power so that particular benefit would not be too beneficial.

You're talking about Intern Lantern, right? It still blows my mind how I brought up Light as an example on the official forum of a powerset that was designed pretty much explicitly to be conservative with power use and not need clipping at all and the response was "nah, everyone clips with HL" THAT loving MISSES THE POINT OF THE POWER DIPSHIT.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Came across this post while trawling the DCUO forums tonight:

quote:

there IS another kind of troll I've been seeing pop up recently... I can only describe it a Survival trolller... they relu on shileds and self heals (where DOM and RESTO now apply most to trollers) and focus primarily on CCing. These RARE trollers are almost tanks unto themselves. I fortunately got to group with one of these trollers last week and subsequently added him to my friend list and he did likewise... He showed me a whole new approach and renewed my faith in the role... Here's the irony, he doesn't get that many group invites due to his unusual approach to the role as it's ingrained into people's minds now that the controller is battery first and foremost. But the guy gets NOTHING BUT RESPECT in the groups he does role with.

(From https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/the-ins-and-outs-and-sadness-of-being-a-controller.4266/)

I think I am totally going to give this a try tomorrow.

Claws (PoT)
Whip Thrash (Defense Debuff)
Snap Trap (Damage Debuff)
Light Weight (Healing Debuff)
Light Barrier (Shield/Damage Reflect)
Whatever the 35% supercharge self-heal is called

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah that's kind of what I do, though I do make sure and hit the PoT when it runs out too. Basically I'll start a boss fight off with whip thrash (bye bye defense) and then use light blast (bye bye damage) and then hit claws and get 25-30 his until my power is recharged and then see what needs to be done. Defense debuff is usually still around but damage isn't, so I hit that and then do the PoT.

On regular groups of mobs I tend to just use the PoT because the soft cc (juggling, knock down, etc) still works if they're combo'd into, and I rotate my targets. The result is me drawing a lot of fire, but the majority of targets are incapacitated.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Got my Light Hero to 30 tonight, so now I'm trying to settle on a power/combo loadout.

So far my go-to combo has been Whip Thrash (x2) -> Hand Clap (x3) OR Impact -> Chainsaw (x5) -> Ram OR Minigun -> Repeat. This gets the defense debuff applied and then can rack up some impressive damage if you can keep it up. It's also nothing but taps unless you opt for Impact or Minigun so the rhythm is easy to learn.

Generally I don't use Impact much, unless I think my target is going to stun or knock me before I can stun it with Hand Clap. Minigun is a bit more useful, if you think you can get it off without someone lunging you it can pushback/stun a good amount of enemies if they're not all clumped up on top of you.

If you need to set up PoT (or just need to lunge) you can do Light Claws (x5) -> Ram OR Minigun and then seamlessly transition into the looping Whipthrash combo.

Of course all the (x3) and (x5) are just maximum hits, you can do a quick single Claw to Ram to Thrash instead. Although usually if I need to make sure to stun the target right now I will do a Claw, then hold LMB for the big spinning claw that tends to do knockdown/stun and then go into Ram from there.

The problem now becomes that those combos take a good 8-10 powers to get, and you still probably want Recharge and maybe Group Shielding. Which leaves two loadout slots open that I want to use for Light Weight and Snap Trap (as the other two debuff-applying powers). Light Weight is easy, it can't be comboed into or out of, but Snap Trap is a little harder. There is AFAICT no good looping combo with it you can get assuming you got the powers for the above combos, so I will need to come up with some way to have it slip into a self-contained loop like I do with Claws. But it's too drat late and I'll figure this out tomorrow.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

How about substituting light blast for snap trap? Alternatively, my old build had snap trap and fan, but if you want those you'd have to probably give up the Impact branch.

Here is my current load out:

1 - light claws: PoT
2 - whip thrash: defense debuff
3 - grasping hand: damage debuff
4 - recharge: power
5 - group shielding: power and "oh poo poo" power
6 - personal shield: obvious reasons, but also to revive teammates

The first three are all infinite combos if I choose, so that helps me rebuild power no matter what one I started with. The whip thrash debug lasts a really long time, but the grasping hand one does not (probably 1/3 of the time).

I know you're a big fan of light weight, so you could probably do something similar to mine but substitute it for grasping hand. Just know they're gonna hit you harder.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So apparently in Diamond Heist, when you deliver packages as a hero they just sit in a pile outside the van and villains can come over, pick them up and take them to their van ('robbing' the heroes ) but when a villain delivers on it goes right into the van and heroes can't do jack about it.

Yeah, that's totally fair and balanced.

Duet
Aug 18, 2007

you stupid bitch, fred flinstone's hee-home
To be fair heroes outnumber villains by a large margin, so anything that helps "balance" them out in the "world events" is okay in my book.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Would this be the Diamond Heist that's 2.3 seconds away from Hero base? thus meaning nobody gives a toss about it

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Giedroyc posted:

Would this be the Diamond Heist that's 2.3 seconds away from Hero base? thus meaning nobody gives a toss about it

I do it if I'm there simply for the feats. As soon as some villain shows up in t4-5 gear though I'm out, there's no sense is being a punching bag.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I saw the villain faction win any of the world events.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Villains might do a little better on PVP servers just because there are so many bored players hanging out in the overworld.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

ArchRanger posted:

Yeah, I can't remember the last time I saw the villain faction win any of the world events.

Since December I've seen 4. Usually at non-peak hours.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

After they retired the gunslinger chest there is no reason to do and open world pvp events.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, I hope to hell the next "season" of PvP makes use of the huge amount of styles they've cut from it. It's made a few feats outright impossible to get if I remember right.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Apparently you can still buy DLC packs with Sevencash, that being the EU pro"oh you terrible customer support fuckers"sieben currency. Since I logged in on PC and did so last night.

A couple of the PVP armour sets got moved to rare drops in the vault.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Giedroyc posted:

A couple of the PVP armour sets got moved to rare drops in the vault.

Yeah, and Gunslinger isn't one of them. This has been discussed repeatedly in the last few pages. :smith:

Honestly I don't get why they don't just make it a drop off of Hush in the Penguin Duo. Kick his rear end, steal his coat. :smugbert:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I apparently chose the worst possible way to celebrate hitting T4: grouping with some random folks from my league and running the worst raids for speed feats.

In other news, I learned that apparently you can still get Marks of War via the Stryker's daily. That was unexpected.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

I have no idea why they made Batman in the T3 solo challenge is so much harder than the Joker in the hero one. It takes 2-3x as long to activate the device and Batman basically shrugs off stuns/knock downs and runs away to keep lobbing batarangs at you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well, it's Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Dude doesn't even sit down, you think your puny stuns have any effect on him?

• Locked thread