Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
A pin came in. Thanks, Kaz!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

New update!

I kind of like it, though it is mostly because of more artwork.

Would this be a time to "become" Sigrid or will the tale continue later on?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I love how, at one point, Katia was apparently trying to eat/drink her horrible milk taco.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I love that the bartender in the background is a zoomed-in pixelated mess.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I can't remember if the bug musk is a real item in Oblivion or not.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

IronSaber posted:

I can't remember if the bug musk is a real item in Oblivion or not.

Only in morrowind.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Telvanni_Bug_Musk

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Telvanni Bug Musk is most notably used in one of the Ashlander sections of the main quest. One of the tribal chiefs wants a highborn Telvanni wife, and since no Telvanni would ever consent to marry him, the Nerevarine winds up having to turn a slave into the very image of a noblewoman--fancy clothes and, of course, the Bug Musk.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
With that in mind, ignoring the fact the fact the internet is not the best at smell o-vision... Do we actually know what Sigrid looks like? Has anyone said in words even what race she is?

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

I'm pretty sure she's a Nord Look at that Mercantile skill

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Ah. I should really get around to playing the game then.

Edit; Actually if that's a bust; I'm going with the whole dual personality thing 'Katia Manigan' has going on is the BS stopping Sigrid's BS (Bug Spray) from working. As the man said; "Katia Managan doesn’t take kindly to that bullshit."

Paused fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 2, 2013

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Hooray, my favorite Oblivion NPC got a cameo! Also the plot is finally moving! A great day for prequel.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Iced Cocoa posted:

I'm pretty sure she's a Nord Look at that Mercantile skill

Wow. It's really weird to see her ingame model after her appearance in Prequel, which is made by someone who actually understands aesthetics. Even putting her catastrophic Oblivion face aside, she has such big hands, wide shoulders, and narrow hips that it's like they pasted boobs on a male model.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
That sure is an update.

This is Sigrid.
This is Sigrid lathered in bug juice.
Any questions?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
My RSS feed became filled with vines, butterflies, and baby deer.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

If by hero he means player character, then yeah that explains the alchemy bullshit.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
Heh, "Charismakicks." Good to know I'm not the only one who gives all my enchanted items corny names like that.

Grrlpower Blouse: red velvet blouse, +10 strength
Chromatophore Collar: jeweled necklace, +25% chameleon
Camouflage Cover: glass shield, +25% chameleon
Ring of Countershading: gold ring, +25% chameleon
Ring of Crypsis: jeweled ring, +25% chameleon

...yeah, completely invisible is how I roll. That and console commands to break the poo poo out of the game.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
How about we link to that new update:

http://www.prequeladventure.com/2013/09/3105/

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blackheart posted:

If by hero he means player character, then yeah that explains the alchemy bullshit.

That's what I think he means, or a way for Kazerad to bring up CHIM without getting too into the bullshit metaness of it.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Even as I'm reading the text, all I can think is 'good christ Katia's head is loving gigantic.'

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Blackheart posted:

Everything points to it. Abuse of gameplay mechanics, min-maxing speech and mercantile, inability to put things on shelves, unchecked kleptomania and a habit of casually walking into guild-houses and becoming their leader. All hallmarks of a player character.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 22, 2013

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's happened at least three times before on this world. A "hero" rises up, does things no one thought to do before, and fundamentally alters the course of history. Of course the church would know and look for the signs.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Selfish rule gaming rear end in a top hat?

Probably the next chosen one.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
New update!

I love seeing the morality of PCs questioned. :allears:

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I want to see Katia take this quest if only because she'll break that lockpick at record speed and possibly run into Brother Martin on the way.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

TunaSpleen posted:

I want to see Katia take this quest if only because she'll break that lockpick at record speed and possibly run into Brother Martin on the way.
It's also likely that she will fail and end up in the Imperial Prison.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

TunaSpleen posted:

What lockpick? Stephane is offering her a key.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Pakled posted:

New update!

I love seeing the morality of PCs questioned. :allears:

My looting and slaughtering of the countryside is completely moral.

At least half those guys really did deserve it! And the others were either being annoying or somehow getting between me and some sweet loot.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Yeah the main concern right now is her pickpocket skill because if she can't grab the key after he points out where it is then, say, stands with his back to her, his fingers in his ears and humming loudly there really is no hope for her.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
All I can see is Kazerad playing DM and making it as easy as possible for the players to get on with the quest, outright telling them what to do and pointing them towards all the resources they need to get it done, but still trying to keep the illusion of challenge so it's up to the players to actually grab the key and find the hidden entrance and plan the escape and so on.

The thing is, though, when you're DM'ing and you've reached that point of eliminating as much challenge as possible in the vain hope they'll succeed, then they'll still find a way to gently caress it up.

What I'm saying is Kazerad needs to find another D&D group cause the players he's with now are hopeless.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

What lockpick? Stephane is offering her a key.

And judging by the way this comic's gone thus far, using the key will snap it in half, send it flying down a well, stab an orphan in the eye and Quill-Weave will telepathically feel the voices of a thousand failures cry out and suddenly become silent.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Turns out that despite being incapable of losing that one lockpick, Katia is dreadful at those skills typically associated with Khajit. Queue "That's racist!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Never change Kaz :allears:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Jewel Repetition posted:

Wow. It's really weird to see her ingame model after her appearance in Prequel, which is made by someone who actually understands aesthetics. Even putting her catastrophic Oblivion face aside, she has such big hands, wide shoulders, and narrow hips that it's like they pasted boobs on a male model.

Wait, Like?

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Such as this one.

I have always wondered if it was a lack of money or a lack of will to hire artists/modelers that understood the human form and aesthetic. Only in Skyrim was this (mostly) remedied.

VV That's true, I was only thinking about TES games.

Cthulhuchan fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 30, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cthulhuchan posted:

I have always wondered if it was a lack of money or a lack of will to hire artists/modelers that understood the human form and aesthetic. Only in Skyrim was this (mostly) remedied.

They were on the right track in Fallout 3 and New Vegas as well, to be fair. Well, moreso than Oblivion.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Take the help, Katia! He's saving you wandering around browsing pockets until you find the key!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

All I can see is Kazerad playing DM and making it as easy as possible for the players to get on with the quest, outright telling them what to do and pointing them towards all the resources they need to get it done, but still trying to keep the illusion of challenge so it's up to the players to actually grab the key and find the hidden entrance and plan the escape and so on.

The thing is, though, when you're DM'ing and you've reached that point of eliminating as much challenge as possible in the vain hope they'll succeed, then they'll still find a way to gently caress it up.

What I'm saying is Kazerad needs to find another D&D group cause the players he's with now are hopeless.

...Why would you run a P&P game that implements limitations of video games into it? Why would you put quests in that the players take and carry out when that's a convention of video games to organize parts of the story? Why would you have specific resources the players have to find, figure out, and use to progress the quest like the Elder Scrolls does rather than letting players solve problems their own way while you point them in the direction of what might work? Why would you require them to pixel bitch for a hidden entrance like an adventure game?

I mean, video game conventions in P&P games is like trying to do sight gags from movies in a novel; it doesn't work well and makes no sense because it's a different medium you're working with. I know some games encourage that, but it only works if they're tabletop strategy games instead of P&P story games.

I don't see the DM as trying to lead players to success. I don't see players trying to achieve a success without concession. The characters want success without trouble; the players are interested in the string of failures, compromises, and victories that gets the characters somewhere, even if it's not where they intended to be originally.

Which is why in the conceit of Prequel being a P&P game, Kazerade doesn't need a new group. The game is running just fine and is focused on what the characters (mostly character) are doing and what their stories are instead of some impersonal quest that was only interesting to the writer that put it into the game in the first place.

LtStorm fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 30, 2013

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

LtStorm posted:

...Why would you run a P&P game that implements limitations of video games into it? Why would you put quests in that the players take and carry out when that's a convention of video games to organize parts of the story? Why would you have specific resources the players have to find, figure out, and use to progress the quest like the Elder Scrolls does rather than letting players solve problems their own way while you point them in the direction of what might work? Why would you require them to pixel bitch for a hidden entrance like an adventure game?

In my previous attempt at an interactive forum story thing, this was one of the biggest mistakes I made. I had the notion that interactivity meant that the story needed "challenge", and thus the plot progression was divided up with puzzles where players/readers had to figure out a single correct solution in order to continue. It was pretty miserable; if they couldn't figure out the solution right away, the story often descended into a series of trial-and-error as they tried to brute force the puzzle. At one point, I got so tired of them trying to brute-force one of my puzzles and was so adamant to not remove said puzzle that I turned it into downloadable game. Technically, it might have been the first walkaround ever created for an MSPA-like, released back when Problem Sleuth was just beginning.

Anyway, point is you're right and it's a terrible way to approach something like this (Quill-Weave's DM in the flashbacks was a sort of jab at the mindset). Given my prior experience with it, one of the "rules" I went into Prequel with was that there wouldn't be anything that outright stopped the progress of the story - only cause it to go in a different direction. Even in sequences like the well, the story moves on despite Katia's failures - it gets a little later and her spirit breaks a little more every panel. The whole idea of an interactive story tumbling forward despite the player's choices is something I've come to find really exciting, and I've been toying around with applying variants of it in a couple other projects.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Intense table-flipping action!

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Such as this one.

You call that a table flip?

I got your table flipping action right here!

VV The bartender would appear to agree!

Cthulhuchan fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cthulhuchan posted:

You call that a table flip?

I got your table flipping action right here!

That table sure is flipping a lot.

• Locked thread