Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dragon Age 2 is simply a game without any play agency whatsoever. I have no idea why they even bothered having dialogue trees when none of them did anything. There are plenty of linear games out there where your main character tells another character that something is a bad idea yet they go do it anyway and you're left cleaning up the mess. Except in those games the gameplay tends be a more focused thing instead of Dragon Age 2's half-assed abomination that they call combat and encounter design. The only thing I really liked in Dragon Age 2 was the stuff with the Arishok. That was a really good chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

Unless you're playing Hawke as someone with the extreme outsider viewpoint of blood magic, maybe the single biggest taboo in the entire setting, being a-okay, it makes no sense that you'd follow that encounter up by becoming friends with her. It reads as unreasonable to me: you can safely expect the player to have sympathy for a mage, but teaming them up unconditionally with an open and unapologetic blood mage feels like a huge railroad into a totally illogical decision.

Merrill is weird in that she's the hardest character to get rid of (along with Aveline, and obviously you can't lose Varric since it's built into the game). You truly can't ditch her until the end of Act 3.

This is bizarre since she has no effect on what happens in Act 2 or 3 outside her own quest line. She's an obvious contender for a character you should be able to kill early or tell to leave.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pick posted:

You're spending a lot of words refusing to answer the question, which is: what do you, personally, do when one of your friends is on a bad track but can't be dissuaded? Why?

You didn't actually address any of those situations. It'd be very simple. "Yes, I support my friends when they follow their dreams because I have hope maybe it'll succeed even if it looks like it won't; heck, I don't know everything." This is the reasoning that determines how you decide to handle Merrill. And it's an interesting conflict because it reflects the reasoning you have to use in real life when dealing with real friends. I know someone at least superficially similar to every DA2 companion. The girl who went to Chicago did not seem overly arrogant, just very optimistic.

Not "this analogy isn't perfect because demons don't exist :smug:". Pfft, like demons are a threat to Hawke! She kills one of the three great known demons of the world like it's nothing (Xebenkeck). Tearing down dozens of demons on a loving walk. An abomination is usually as dangerous as a cat.

I'm not answering that question because it is not relevant. Merril's situation is NOT comparable to your friend working at a loving restaurant and I just wrote a wall of words explaining why. You are ignoring how I made it clear that the stakes in all of the situations you described are not anywhere close to what Merril is dealing with. You're also ignoring that unlike those situations, Merril has been told from birth not to do this poo poo. Your friend wasn't told from birth not to paint were they, and that if they did gently caress up painting it would get everyone they know killed?

And again, if you justify someone unleashing an apocalyptic situation as fine just because Hawke can resolve it with magical protagonist powers, you're just crazy. You're not supposed to think you can magically fix everything when you play the game. And this doesn't even work because you can't fix everything anyways.

VVV I'm getting "riled up" (really? It's a forum discussion, nobody should be getting upset over it) because it feels like you're intentionally being obtuse. You're ignoring that your comparison is terrible and doesn't work at all, so why should I address the question you posed through it?

Maybe you don't understand what my point is since I've spewed so many words at this point. Let me state it; Merril's character makes no sense as her actions do not line up with her personality at all. The clash between the two is so strong that it sucks me straight out of the game since I see it as incredibly poor writing, which it is. If you want to fight that, then explain how Merril's character makes sense in any way.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 29, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
No, you're getting riled up because you can't answer my question, which is what is your logic for either supporting or not supporting friends on doomed paths. It ain't hard.

Obviously you agree with rivaling Merrill. So do I! But it's a legitimate choice and a legitimate problem. After all, Hawke might be a blood mage. Telling her not to do her blood-magery for good would be hypocritical, no?

And there's no suggestion Merrill's going to bring about an "apocalyptic scenario" :rolleyes:. She'd just turn into an abomination like all the other abominations you've encountered. It's something that happens to Hawke all the time; the biggest threat is to Merrill, not to anyone else. You can't give any in-game explanation for why we should be especially afraid of abomination-Merrill. Heck, we can let a dreamer-abomination roam the streets if we want to, which is supposed to be the worst conceivable kind, and ultimately the damage is does is minimal.

Pick fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 29, 2013

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Gaffle posted:

One thing that I enjoyed in Dragon Age: Origins was that, at any time in the camp, you could tell your companions (except Dog) to just leave and not come back. It was completely silly, and I think most people would never even consider doing it because of how large a part the companions play in the game, and by kicking them out of the party you will miss out on their storylines, quests, gifts etc. But the choice was there, and you could do it and I love that. There is never any real benefit to kicking out or killing your party members. What if a templar decided to join my party after I break my promise and enact the Rite of Annulment? What if, later in my journey I meet up with a former party member, going on with his/her life? Wouldn't that be neat?

This was one of the major pet peeves I had against DA2; no matter how many times you would shout and yell at your party members, they would simply just. not. gently caress. OFF.

Personally I played a rather angry Hawke, so from a role playing perspective it gave me extra justification for it. But being forced to stick with a scooby gang of impotent morons through no choice of your own is jarring as all hell. Maybe it's just another handholding mechanic, but I don't see why there shouldn't be an option just to not pursue extra party members, if I don't want to trudge through extra game content that should be my choice since I'm supposed to be playing a Role Playing Game.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Pick posted:

Except, if you go back to my big post, I'm not saying DA2 is a great game all-around. It's not. But I disagree with why people think it's a poor game. I think the story by and large works really well, and I love how the companions were handled, especially compared to other RPGs. I also think the combat is better, if not enough better to be "good".
Right, but that's what I meant: for most of the people who are taking the game on its own merits and not as an ironic whatnot, the story and the characters are the two most obnoxious parts of the game, although the asset re-use really starts to grate after a certain amount of time. That feeling of the player (not just the player-character) being treated like a total idiot with no agency at any point in either plot or character interactions, with the game constantly peeing on whatever decisions you do or don't make, often straight-up undoing them before your eyes in order to preserve BioWare's stupid canon, is really just... aaagh. Yeah, that feeling of being taken for a total dick is very different from most other (better) games, but it's not something that most people would recognise as fun, and I'm pretty sure it's not even intentional, either. They were just hoping no-one would notice that they were one-tracking the player through a total idiot plot, like they were hoping no-one would notice all the copy-and-pasted, mirror-imaged dungeons after about hour three of the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pick posted:

And there's no suggestion Merrill's going to bring about an "apocalyptic scenario" :rolleyes:. She'd just turn into an abomination like all the other abominations you've encountered. It's something that happens to Hawke all the time; the biggest threat is to Merrill, not to anyone else. You can't give any in-game explanation for why we should be especially afraid of abomination-Merrill. Heck, we can let a dreamer-abomination roam the streets if we want to, which is supposed to be the worst conceivable kind, and ultimately the damage is does is minimal.

The lore for the game directly states that even a single abomination can cause massive destruction. An abomination that combines a powerful mage with a powerful demon is supposed to be incredibly strong. This is how the game wants you to view these things, you can't deny that. Now you might not just because the disconnect between the lore and the gameplay is so huge at times, but this is how it is supposed to be viewed. This is how the characters in the game are supposed to view things. If you are truly immersed in the game you'll be looking at things from their perspective, so even if you as the player can cut through a dozen abominations no issue, you should be aware that any one of them has the potential to cause huge amounts of destruction.

You're literally ignoring all the lore that is supposed to be an important part of the setting.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

The lore for the game directly states that even a single abomination can cause massive destruction. An abomination that combines a powerful mage with a powerful demon is supposed to be incredibly strong. This is how the game wants you to view these things, you can't deny that. Now you might not just because the disconnect between the lore and the gameplay is so huge at times, but this is how it is supposed to be viewed. This is how the characters in the game are supposed to view things. If you are truly immersed in the game you'll be looking at things from their perspective, so even if you as the player can cut through a dozen abominations no issue, you should be aware that any one of them has the potential to cause huge amounts of destruction.

You're literally ignoring all the lore that is supposed to be an important part of the setting.

There's actually a dialogue with Merrill about this: in her final quest, she asks Hawke to go and help her deal with a demon. You can say, "well, you might become an abomination"; she says, "all the more reason to have someone who knows the risks there to stop me if I turn". Hawke can then point out that it's perfectly possible a powerful abomination might just kill her, there's no guarantee she can stop a thing like that. Merrill then appeals to the whole 'protagonist' thing ("you've faced down dragons!", etc), but Hawke's point is pretty solid and you can use it as a pretext to refuse the quest if you want.

I thought that was cool, actually. You can say something realistic that doesn't involve Hawke getting caught up in her own hype on a meta-fiction level - demons are powerful, she doesn't know how strong this one will be, so it could perfectly well possess Merrill and then kill her before cutting a swathe of destruction across Kirkwall.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Internet Kraken posted:

So does the game, so that's fair.

Or do you mean the general you? Either way, you're right.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Every terrible thing isn't terrible, merely a parodic meta-commentary on itself. Good to know.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the big difference between "doomed to open a terrible restaurant" and "doomed to become a conduit for a powerful demon" is that "kill this person before they can do any more damage" is a possible course of action for one and not the other (and it's something that you could do in, say, Baldur's Gate). Of course, that leads us to...

quote:

She'd just turn into an abomination like all the other abominations you've encountered. It's something that happens to Hawke all the time; the biggest threat is to Merrill, not to anyone else. You can't give any in-game explanation for why we should be especially afraid of abomination-Merrill. Heck, we can let a dreamer-abomination roam the streets if we want to, which is supposed to be the worst conceivable kind, and ultimately the damage is does is minimal.
But the thing is, this is only something you can bring up because DA2 is...well, pretty terrible. It's just another example of Codex/lore/dialogue stuff being completely different from what you experience in the game. Hell, if DA2's abominations were actually supposed to be accurate representations of "mage possessed by a demon" in the setting, there would be no need for the Circle - just wait 'til a demon finds a mage, turns them into a big ugly guy with no magical powers, and hey, now you've turned two potential threats into "lumpy dude that punches people".

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
FYI Pick, Death of the Author applies to symbolism and subtext, not canon within a setting. :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

FYI Pick, Death of the Author applies to symbolism and subtext, not canon within a setting. :v:

I always bring up canon examples when showing that certain interpretations are valid.

It's a fact that no abomination in the entire game is a legitimate threat to Hawke, even those from "dreamers" which are supposedly the strongest.
It's a fact that you can choose to help Merrill or just tag along to play damage control (or do nothing).
It's a fact that Hawke might also be a blood mage and therefore have only the most tenuous excuses to castigate Merrill.
It's a fact that we don't known what the mirrors do and it might be totally harmless (or beneficial).
It's a fact that Merrill regards you as a friend but not a master and is going to do her own thing and your only choice is how to approach it, like real-life friends.

Also, there's a really obvious reason you can't just cut down Merrill, and it's that the game ensures you have a robust party at the end of the game so that the game itself remains playable. You will always have a mage, tank, and rogue. The "last ditch" party is Merrill, Aveline, and Varric.

This is necessary because:

- Tanks:
--- You can lose Carver by having him die at the outset or in the Deep Roads.
--- Fenris has like a dozen ways to leave your party, not including failing to recruit him

- Mages:
--- You can lose Bethany by having her die at the outset or in the Deep Roads.
--- The choice to execute Anders is critical in the climax.

- Rogues:
--- Isabela runs off at the drop of a hat, and many first-time players don't get her F/R high enough to retain her in Act 2.
--- Sebastian is DLC.

You can only lose Aveline and Merrill if you didn't secure another tank/mage, resp.

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 29, 2013

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I like how Blood Magic in DAO was such a big loving deal but it seems like half of Kirkwall is blood mages.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pick, I'm not sure why you keep posting examples of the gameplay and the story being at odds with each-other. It makes for a pretty poor defence of the game...

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Mordiceius posted:

I like how Blood Magic in DAO was such a big loving deal but it seems like half of Kirkwall is blood mages.

I'm just hoping and praying that it isn't used like a crutch in DAI like it was in this stupid game. The writers were just so lazy to toss blood magic and demons/possession around instead of bothering to write actual character for evil mages (or any mage other mage, really). If anything, it showed that Kirkwall's Templars were wildly incompetent if they couldn't manage to ferret out blood magic that was this common in their stronghold city even after basically taking over.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Crotch posted:

Pick, I'm not sure why you keep posting examples of the gameplay and the story being at odds with each-other. It makes for a pretty poor defence of the game...

I'm not trying to lie about the game, I'm perfectly willing to discuss its failings. One of the things I noted in my big post was the gap between the lore and the game. "Abominations" are supposedly a big deal in the lore, in the game they're pretty trivial. Demons show up in ordinary wine cellars.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Geostomp posted:

I'm just hoping and praying that it isn't used like a crutch in DAI like it was in this stupid game. The writers were just so lazy to toss blood magic and demons/possession around instead of bothering to write actual character for evil mages. If anything, it showed that Kirkwall's Templars were wildly incompetent if they couldn't manage to ferret out blood magic that was this common in their stronghold city.

I hate Blood Magic because it's always so loving broken!

However, it will almost certainly be in DAI, if only because one of the characters is rumored to be a Tevinter magister.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

I'm not trying to lie about the game, I'm perfectly willing to discuss its failings. One of the things I noted in my big post was the gap between the lore and the game. "Abominations" are supposedly a big deal in the lore, in the game they're pretty trivial. Demons show up in ordinary wine cellars.

So you're using gameplay to defend the gaps in storyline despite acknowledging the huge gulf between them? Uh, are you sure you've thought this through dude because you don't seem very consistent at all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Geostomp posted:

I'm just hoping and praying that it isn't used like a crutch in DAI like it was in this stupid game. The writers were just so lazy to toss blood magic and demons/possession around instead of bothering to write actual character for evil mages (or any mage other mage, really). If anything, it showed that Kirkwall's Templars were wildly incompetent if they couldn't manage to ferret out blood magic that was this common in their stronghold city even after basically taking over.

What I've learned from this thread is that nearly everyone in Dragon Age II is an idiot. When you examine the game from different perspectives, you just find more and more ways in which they are stupid. Layers upon layers of idiocy.

To talk more about the new game, has Bioware said what the general motivation of the Red Templars (I think that is what they are called) is? Are they just blindly following the old chantry, are they a specific group of templars gone crazy on lyrium, or something else?

midwat
May 6, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

So you're using gameplay to defend the gaps in storyline despite acknowledging the huge gulf between them? Uh, are you sure you've thought this through dude because you don't seem very consistent at all.

Nah, bro, inconsistency is advanced :smug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

You've got the pieces for two puzzles mixed together; you can either use them to create the most satisfying puzzle or complain that they can be used to make an unsatisfying one.

Harry Potter was far from a consistent series and people still ate it up.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

What I've learned from this thread is that nearly everyone in Dragon Age II is an idiot. When you examine the game from different perspectives, you just find more and more ways in which they are stupid. Layers upon layers of idiocy.

To talk more about the new game, has Bioware said what the general motivation of the Red Templars (I think that is what they are called) is? Are they just blindly following the old chantry, are they a specific group of templars gone crazy on lyrium, or something else?

As far as I can guess, they're a hardliner splinter of whatever remains of the Templars that seems to have found the motherload of red lyrium. I guess they used it, were driven absolutely bugnuts paranoid and now menace the countryside while being slowly warped into hideous monstrosities.

That's just what I assume from the footage we've seen so far.

Pick posted:

However, it will almost certainly be in DAI, if only because one of the characters is rumored to be a Tevinter magister.

Blood magic was pretty bad in DAII. As for the new guy, he's supposed to be the one in a million good magister that the more common corrupt ones try to silence.

VVVEdit: Which would be great if it weren't for the fact that the lazy writing just tossed everything related to blood magic into the "evil" category. Unless your character(and/or their father) did it in which case, nobody cares despite the sheer hypocrisy. Hopefully that will change later if they insist on letting us have the option again.

Though, to be fair, the Pride and Desire demons always get somebody to join them, so it's implied that they're working some kind of mind control mojo instead of the characters just blatantly betraying Hawke for no reason.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 29, 2013

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Remember that while Blood magic is universally reviled by the various establishments Grey Wardens occassionally tap into it to fight Fire with Fire as it were and that is acceptible. Most Keepers are thought to know a little something about blood magic too, Merrill's problem was that she was going into it balls deep rather than just learning the few spells still known to keepers, recalling that it's believed ancient elves once had a profound understanding of all magics. Blood magic isn't necessarily inherently treatcherious per se, but it's often the case that the people least suited for studying it, pursue it with the most vigor. With predictible results of course. If it hadn't been for her disgustingly quick betrayal in Fenriel's dream, I'd argue she might actually be better suited for its study, she gets as disgusted as Fenris when viewing Tevinter experimental subjects, and she's gets as annoyed with blood mages like Huon as the player whenever they're encountered. She's definitely written as walking the line between being a big old puppy-kissing softie while still being a practicing maleficar.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pick posted:

That could actually be an interesting perspective for once. Because as far as we know, Tevinter is not overrun by abominations. So they obviously can hold them in check. I would guess anyone suspected of failing to resist the demons is killed quickly by the Tevinter templars and the magisters themselves. Remember that the Imperial Chantry is under mage control, and so are their templars. If the magisters control the templars access to Lyrium, they only have to make sure their highest ranks are not corrupted, perhaps by the other high ranking magisters joining forces to kill such an abomination, and accusations of someone being under the influence of demons being a valid intrigue scheme. The templars can handle the lesser mages.

Perhaps such a Tevinter mage could speak with contempt of the non-Tevinter Chantry and their circle of magi, and how the quasi imprisonment and constant threat of being lobotomized/killed of course massively increases the temptation to turn to demons for aid. If he/she is a blood mage, I would bet it becomes an important plot point in the game since the Fade will be a major focus in Inquisition.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Torrannor posted:

That could actually be an interesting perspective for once. Because as far as we know, Tevinter is not overrun by abominations. So they obviously can hold them in check. I would guess anyone suspected of failing to resist the demons is killed quickly by the Tevinter templars and the magisters themselves. Remember that the Imperial Chantry is under mage control, and so are their templars. If the magisters control the templars access to Lyrium, they only have to make sure their highest ranks are not corrupted, perhaps by the other high ranking magisters joining forces to kill such an abomination, and accusations of someone being under the influence of demons being a valid intrigue scheme. The templars can handle the lesser mages.

Perhaps such a Tevinter mage could speak with contempt of the non-Tevinter Chantry and their circle of magi, and how the quasi imprisonment and constant threat of being lobotomized/killed of course massively increases the temptation to turn to demons for aid. If he/she is a blood mage, I would bet it becomes an important plot point in the game since the Fade will be a major focus in Inquisition.

It would be nice to see how Tevinter actually manages to function. As it's been described so far, it seems more like an almost comically evil boogeyman than a functional nation. Especially if he points out the hypocrisy of the Andrastian nations condemning slavery, yet indulging in the Circle system as well as urban segregation of minorities like elves.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Blood magic isn't inherently evil, it is just another form of magic after all, but off the top of my head there are 3 main reasons it is almost universally despised;

-It causes a great deal of harm, either to yourself or others. Usually others.
-It can be used to directly control the minds of others. This is what Templars usually point to for it being evil, since other sources of magic might kill you but nothing else can poison the minds of others (ignore all those entropy spells that do I guess).
-It is heavily tied to demons. When a demon is directly summoned, it's usually through blood magic. Also, blood magic is really hard to learn, so most of the time a mage has to contact a demon to learn about it in the first place.

I don't think demonology is directly tied to blood magic though. The two are heavily mixed because demons usually seduce mages by offering to teach them blood magic, but demons can be summoned through methods other than blood magic. That seems to be equally frowned upon, if not more so. I can't recall anyone in the games actively studying demons but not blood magic though.

VVV If Alistair shows up in my game he better only be some random drunk on the street.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 29, 2013

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd bet real money that the Red Templars are gonna be virtually indistinguishable from the Cerberus Mooks from ME3. Lobotomized people used as trash mobs by the Big Bad.

Anyway, they're talking about the game I guess.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...estruction.html

quote:

I think there were a few fan favourites that we wanted to come back, and we had at one point planned a DLC for Dragon Age II called 'Exalted March' that we ended up not doing because we felt it was important to go ahead and switch over to new technology to really start focusing on Dragon Age: Inquisition. Some of the characters that are returning are ones we'd planned to bring back for that DLC, so we really wanted to bring them back for Inquisition. A lot of that was kind of driven by the writers, so it's possible that they had some arguments, because there are a lot of really passionate fans, and every follower has a group of people that really want to see them again. We try to accommodate that as much as possible.
So, bets on what companions are coming back and in what manner? Will Alistair show up for another three seconds, fit the word "swooping" in a sentence, and then leave?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
At this point, Pick, I'm having trouble telling when you're actually defending the game. It reads to me like you're using admitted flaws of the game to defend other flaws of the game, but that makes no sense, so... I should probably duck out of this conversation.

The last thing I'll say is that, while I can understand wanting something other than "heroic dude saves everything forever", there is a wide range between that and "Bumbles and the Shitfarmers gently caress everything up constantly". I could probably get a lot more in to DA2 if it was possible to play more in the middle. I mean, I'd still `runscript killallhostiles through half the game because seriously, I can only hang out in so many doorways bottlenecking waves of enemies just outside their predetermined spawn areas, but still.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

You've got the pieces for two puzzles mixed together; you can either use them to create the most satisfying puzzle or complain that they can be used to make an unsatisfying one.

Harry Potter was far from a consistent series and people still ate it up.

Harry Potter didn't need its readers to make half-arsed comparisons and analogies involving restaurants and girlfriends to justify poor writing about things which are emphatically evil within the setting, though?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
^^^ I wonder if Harry Potter did have to deal with people failing to understand how analogies work? I even bolded the question, in case people wanted to bypass the ABC version, but alas! I can type out "when do you support people with dangerous or problematic dreams?" until my fingerprints rub off and I apparently won't get an answer. :)

HenessyHero posted:

Remember that while Blood magic is universally reviled by the various establishments Grey Wardens occassionally tap into it to fight Fire with Fire as it were and that is acceptible. Most Keepers are thought to know a little something about blood magic too, Merrill's problem was that she was going into it balls deep rather than just learning the few spells still known to keepers, recalling that it's believed ancient elves once had a profound understanding of all magics. Blood magic isn't necessarily inherently treatcherious per se, but it's often the case that the people least suited for studying it, pursue it with the most vigor. With predictible results of course. If it hadn't been for her disgustingly quick betrayal in Fenriel's dream, I'd argue she might actually be better suited for its study, she gets as disgusted as Fenris when viewing Tevinter experimental subjects, and she's gets as annoyed with blood mages like Huon as the player whenever they're encountered. She's definitely written as walking the line between being a big old puppy-kissing softie while still being a practicing maleficar.

They keep pretending that Blood Magic is misunderstood, but over the course of the entire series (DAO included, I mean, and the peripheral stuff) it never pans out that way. A pretty good fakeout with Merrill, though. When I went into DA2 I genuinely did think that it might turn out well until that final quest, which had "foreboding" written all over it.

The Crotch posted:

The last thing I'll say is that, while I can understand wanting something other than "heroic dude saves everything forever", there is a wide range between that and "Bumbles and the Shitfarmers gently caress everything up constantly". I could probably get a lot more in to DA2 if it was possible to play more in the middle. I mean, I'd still `runscript killallhostiles through half the game because seriously, I can only hang out in so many doorways bottlenecking waves of enemies just outside their predetermined spawn areas, but still.
Playing the middle is far less interesting in the context of Cassandra thinking you're a scheming big-shot instead of Mr. Magoo.

Torrannor posted:

I desperately wanted the Imperium to be the setting of the game following DA2, though it was clear even in DA2 that wasn't going to be the case. The Imperium would give us the context we need for a lot of these things. Obviously I can't support slavery, but their mage system seems to keep things pretty well in check (setting aside the Black City stuff which no one can really figure out.) Also, it would be the perfect place for a mage-Hawke cameo, don't you think? There's nowhere else she can go, and they should love her for taking down the Arishok.

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 29, 2013

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Geostomp posted:

It would be nice to see how Tevinter actually manages to function. As it's been described so far, it seems more like an almost comically evil boogeyman than a functional nation.

Supposedly, this is how Tevinter nobles dress. Draw your own conclusions

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

HenessyHero posted:

They have many Hot Topics and nighttime pedestrian accidents.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

HenessyHero posted:

Designed specifically for cosplay?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mymla posted:

I'd bet real money that the Red Templars are gonna be virtually indistinguishable from the Cerberus Mooks from ME3. Lobotomized people used as trash mobs by the Big Bad.

Anyway, they're talking about the game I guess.
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/...estruction.html

So, bets on what companions are coming back and in what manner? Will Alistair show up for another three seconds, fit the word "swooping" in a sentence, and then leave?

Well, we already know about Varric, Morrigan and Cassandra (even though the last was not a party member before). After the ending of DA2 I would bet money on Liliana making a return as well, and probably in a relatively big role. Alistair could have a bigger part as well, pledging Ferelden troops to the Inquisition. And apparently Sten rose in Qunari society after Origins, so he could be our contact to the Qunari. I don't think any other party members of the first game will return, except perhaps Fenris due to his appearance in DA2.

I doubt that Fenris, Merrill, Sebastian or Hawke's sibling will return. Since they apparently had 3 (!) books set after DA 2 which featured Isabela, I would not be surprised if she was in the third game. Since Anders had quite a prominent role, and you sparing/killing him was so important for many of your party members, I could imagine him returning. So remember to tick the "killed Anders" option in Dragon Age Keep. Aveline could be the commander of the Kirkwall troops to the Inquisition, but although she was member of the armed forces before fleeing to Kirkwall, I think it would be a bit out of character for her to lead an army. Commanding the guards suits her much more. How much is left of Kirkwall anyway?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pick posted:

^^^ I wonder if Harry Potter did have to deal with people failing to understand how analogies work? I even bolded the question, in case people wanted to bypass the ABC version, but alas! I can type out "when do you support people with dangerous or problematic dreams?" until my fingerprints rub off and I apparently won't get an answer. :)

You keep shifting the goal posts and ignoring any and all lore that contradicts you, relying on a terrible interpretation of Death/Author, dude. Is it any surprise people are loathe to give you a straight answer when you can't even keep your own stuff consistent?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mymla posted:

My understanding was that Exalted March was going to focus on Starkhaven, so Sebastian might be back.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pick posted:

You won't get an answer because your comparison is terrible and ignores details crucial to the situation. Thus, the answer to the question is irrelevant since it doesn't apply. Multiple people have pointed this out. Don't pretend people are ignoring what you're saying when that is exactly what you're doing.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

monster on a stick posted:

Designed specifically for cosplay?

Seems to be mostly made of bin liners and pleather, ideal imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Then set aside the examples and answer the question like I've asked: When your friends are going to do something harmful to themselves and potentially others and cannot be dissuaded, do you continue to support them, why or why not? That is the crux of Merrill's arc and it's why the arc is interesting. Would you rather face the inevitable at her side, optimistically, or disparage her and try to play damage control, or refuse involvement entirely? The game gives you the choice!

quote:

I doubt that Fenris, Merrill, Sebastian or Hawke's sibling will return. Since they apparently had 3 (!) books set after DA 2 which featured Isabela, I would not be surprised if she was in the third game. Since Anders had quite a prominent role, and you sparing/killing him was so important for many of your party members, I could imagine him returning. So remember to tick the "killed Anders" option in Dragon Age Keep. Aveline could be the commander of the Kirkwall troops to the Inquisition, but although she was member of the armed forces before fleeing to Kirkwall, I think it would be a bit out of character for her to lead an army. Commanding the guards suits her much more. How much is left of Kirkwall anyway?

I disagree. LIs come back with much greater frequency. DA2 had Zevran, Leliana, and Alistair all present, and Morrigan wasn't only because she was in the DLC that is entirely about her. I expect Fenris, Merrill, and Sebastian have high odds of cameo appearances.

From a practical standpoint it makes sense; there are literally people who will buy the game to see certain characters again, stupid as that is.

Pick fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 29, 2013

• Locked thread