Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Even on the scale of Niven/Pournelle right wing space fantasies, Mote was way better :colbert:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

General Battuta posted:

Even on the scale of Niven/Pournelle right wing space fantasies, Mote was way better :colbert:

Yeah I'm not disagreeing with you in any way.

Also, though not strictly space fantasy, I thought their Lucifer's Hammer was much less ideological.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Did Kallor ever display any actual magical talents? I can't remember. I just remember him being pretty much immortal and a dick and a really good swordsman

snooman
Aug 15, 2013
e: I'm an idiot that can't distinguish 'Kallor' from 'Karsa'.

snooman fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 25, 2013

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

snooman posted:

From what I've read so far his traits are all inherent and he resists magical effects. He also used an oil derived from or similar to otataral as a combat buff/aphrodisiac (and wooden sword maintenance).

Thats Karsa.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Levitate posted:

Did Kallor ever display any actual magical talents? I can't remember. I just remember him being pretty much immortal and a dick and a really good swordsman

"Kallor Eiderann Tes'thesula, one voice, has spoken three curses. Thus."

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I gotta say though, planting 3 curses on elder gods and making them stick as they turn your empire to ash and curse you may be the most boss move in history.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

They didn't turn his empire to ash; Kallor turned his empire into ash himself as a giant gently caress-you-if-I-can't-have-it-nobody-can gesture to the Elder Gods moving against him, and he used that sacrifice as fuel for his curse.

EDIT: Thinking about it, that's probably also evidence of some kind of magical ability of some sort.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Khizan posted:

They didn't turn his empire to ash; Kallor turned his empire into ash himself as a giant gently caress-you-if-I-can't-have-it-nobody-can gesture to the Elder Gods moving against him, and he used that sacrifice as fuel for his curse.

EDIT: Thinking about it, that's probably also evidence of some kind of magical ability of some sort.

Yeah that's basically why I was wondering that. He destroyed an entire warren apparently but I dont' recall we ever seeing him actually use magic

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Levitate posted:

Yeah that's basically why I was wondering that. He destroyed an entire warren apparently but I dont' recall we ever seeing him actually use magic

I thought he probably commanded some wizards to do that type of stuff for him or to set up the ritual that allowed him to do it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Levitate posted:

He didn't destroy a warren - the empire he destroyed was turned into a warren. And iirc the destruction was caused by activation of a KCCM device

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Do the ICE books follow a common story or are they all self-contained? Just how much worse is the writing in them as well?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

Do the ICE books follow a common story or are they all self-contained? Just how much worse is the writing in them as well?

Don't read night of knives. Skip the entire Kiska storyline in Orb, Scepter, Throne.

There are parts to skip in the others but I can't remember which part goes in which book.

The writing isn't as good, but steadily improving. The last book he wrote about Kallor didn't make me think "Why am I reading this?"

That being said: I have read every word of all of his books at least twice. I just can't get enough of this world.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Habibi posted:

He didn't destroy a warren - the empire he destroyed was turned into a warren. And iirc the destruction was caused by activation of a KCCM device

What's that?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Levitate posted:

What's that?
What's what? Sorry, haven't gotten much sleep the last few days so I my be missing the obvious.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Levitate posted:

What's that?

KCCM is Ke'Chain Che'malle but im interested in a source on that, up to tth on my reread and haven't caught that bit yet

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Got it, wasn't familiar with the KCCM acronym

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
I prefer to call them keychain shemales

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Dalmuti posted:

I prefer to call them keychain shemales

:hfive:

Did we just become best friends?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I finished Crack'd Pot Trail. It had some really bizarre metacommentary on what it means to be a storyteller and of the entertainment industry's intrigue.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I keep meaning to say, the entire Azath house thing is clearly lifted from The Black Company, except it's a house instead of a tree.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Benson Cunningham posted:

I keep meaning to say, the entire Azath house thing is clearly lifted from The Black Company, except it's a house instead of a tree.

I'm pretty sure one of Cooks characters in the second series, forgot the name, was the inspiration for Kruppe.
Hardly surprising with the influences, considering what Erikson have written about Cook.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Cardiac posted:

I'm pretty sure one of Cooks characters in the second series, forgot the name, was the inspiration for Kruppe.
Hardly surprising with the influences, considering what Erikson have written about Cook.

Mocker, from Dread Empire.

I read and loved the first Black Company series (It'd just been released as an omnibus, but the later ones weren't in print at the time, I need to pick up the second series omnibus), but couldn't get into Dread Empire.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005
I'm about 40% through Dust of Dreams now, and I can't for the life of me remember who Taxilian et al are. They are wandering around in a Keychain Shemale skykeep with some ghost, and his name seems familiar, but I can't remember who he is, or if I'm supposed to know who any of the other dudes are (Breath, some other losers I can't recall).

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Masonity posted:

Mocker, from Dread Empire.

I read and loved the first Black Company series (It'd just been released as an omnibus, but the later ones weren't in print at the time, I need to pick up the second series omnibus), but couldn't get into Dread Empire.

Yeah, Mocker it is of course.
I was confusing Dread Empire with the second series of the Black Company Series.
The second Black Company serie is by the way not as good as the first, although still enjoyable. Same thing with Dread Empire, good but hardly perfect. Although if you like Cook it's worth it.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

gregarious Ted posted:

I'm about 40% through Dust of Dreams now, and I can't for the life of me remember who Taxilian et al are. They are wandering around in a Keychain Shemale skykeep with some ghost, and his name seems familiar, but I can't remember who he is, or if I'm supposed to know who any of the other dudes are (Breath, some other losers I can't recall).

Taxilian was on the slave ship that bought Karsa to Lethari. And I think maybe there is a ghost who is one of the bad Lethari guys who activated Icarum's device?

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Masonity posted:

Except that's wrong.

Kalam was a high ranking claw agent, Whiskeyjack was one of the most senior military men in the empire, one of the heirs apparent before Surly seized the throne. He was bumped down to his lowly position to suppress his influence. Quick Ben is intentionally hiding, but has been an Imperial High Mage before. Even Hedge and Fiddler are considered THE sappers, the ones who do crazy poo poo with amazing results. They are all A listers.

But thats his point surely? They are indeed all 'A' listers, but we then find them all in the same simple marine squad along with Mallet who used to command a squad of healers and Trotts the Barghast chieftain. It doesn't really make any sense, particularly since they could easily have been wiped out in the tunnels under under Pale.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Ipshank was just revealed in Stonewielder and I can't help but think I've heard the name before. Can someone help me out? Was he mentioned in some of the other books?

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
He is in one of the chapter blurbs in one of the books iirc

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

bucketybuck posted:

But thats his point surely? They are indeed all 'A' listers, but we then find them all in the same simple marine squad along with Mallet who used to command a squad of healers and Trotts the Barghast chieftain. It doesn't really make any sense, particularly since they could easily have been wiped out in the tunnels under under Pale.

They were put together either to keep them safe or make it easier to eliminate them, depending which book you believe.

Remember, when we meet the Bridgeburners we meet the elite few who survived the tunnels. The best of the best.

They were all in semi exile, put somewhere they could do some good for Surly while staying out of politics. They were put together so that they could be placed somewhere that'd keep them safe until desperately needed, while still keeping them sharp. Or to outright kill them according to GOTM.

Makes sense to me.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

bigmcgaffney posted:

Memories of Ice posted:

The Last Mortal Sword of Fener’s Reve was Fanald
of Cawn Vor, who was killed in the Chaining. The
last Boar-cloaked Destriant was Ipshank of Korelri,
who vanished during the Last Flight of Manask on
the Stratem Icefields. Another waited to claim that
title, but was cast out from the temple before it
came to him, and that man’s name has been stricken
from all records. It is known, however, that he was
from Unta; that he had begun his days as a cutpurse
living on its foul streets, and that his casting out
from the temple was marked by the singular
punishment of Fener’s Reve . . .

Temple Lives

Birrin Thund

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Masonity posted:

They were put together either to keep them safe or make it easier to eliminate them, depending which book you believe.

Remember, when we meet the Bridgeburners we meet the elite few who survived the tunnels. The best of the best.

They were all in semi exile, put somewhere they could do some good for Surly while staying out of politics. They were put together so that they could be placed somewhere that'd keep them safe until desperately needed, while still keeping them sharp. Or to outright kill them according to GOTM.

Makes sense to me.

Is there really something pointing to the fact that these particular Bridgeburners were put or made sure to be outside of the tunnels when they collapsed? If so I can't remember it. Also I don't think the people who survived were necessarily the best of the best by virtue of having managed to not been in the wrong place at the wrong time. When I read it it just seemed like dumb luck that they happened to be the ones who were outside when it all went down.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

the least weasel posted:

Is there really something pointing to the fact that these particular Bridgeburners were put or made sure to be outside of the tunnels when they collapsed? If so I can't remember it. Also I don't think the people who survived were necessarily the best of the best by virtue of having managed to not been in the wrong place at the wrong time. When I read it it just seemed like dumb luck that they happened to be the ones who were outside when it all went down.

Unless I'm remembering it wrong, they were ALL in the tunnels when they collapsed. The survivors are the ones who dug their way out?

And in a later book it's claimed they were put in there to keep them away from the fighting, to keep them safe for the Pannion Seer offensive.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
Mmh, perhaps you're right actually. I still find it kinda funny that the one squad happened to have all these A listers in it but maybe that too was for a reason. For me though it had the effect of leaving most of the rest of the Bridgeburners rather faceless. Apart from a handful of others like Spindle, Picker, Blend etc who had the benefit of some actual screen time I couldn't really picture the rest of the Bridgebunners as really as anything special, I guess partly because we're only told of the BBs exploits as a whole in flashbacks. They also kept saying how not a few of the Bridgeburners were in fact pretty horrible people but there's nothing that really shows it in the books.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
One thing that I think is good and bad about Erickson's style is the lack of non-plot related filler. Even something innocuous as the Bridgeburners playing cards has some sort of prophetic tie-in, so it's kind of annoying that everything has to be "all business, all the time" instead of just dicking around and just showing personality. I think it's sort of the opposite of Wheel of Time.
If I were to compare the two, it'd be a bit like the difference between Bleach and Ghost in the Shell. The former has a bunch of whacky filler at times, but also contrasts with more serious instances. The latter has an extremely well done world with its own crazy glossary of words and concepts, but the characters could use work beyond a few exceptions.

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

amuayse posted:

One thing that I think is good and bad about Erickson's style is the lack of non-plot related filler. Even something innocuous as the Bridgeburners playing cards has some sort of prophetic tie-in, so it's kind of annoying that everything has to be "all business, all the time" instead of just dicking around and just showing personality. I think it's sort of the opposite of Wheel of Time.
If I were to compare the two, it'd be a bit like the difference between Bleach and Ghost in the Shell. The former has a bunch of whacky filler at times, but also contrasts with more serious instances. The latter has an extremely well done world with its own crazy glossary of words and concepts, but the characters could use work beyond a few exceptions.

There's an awful lot of introspection about the pointlessness of existence that is extraneous to the plot and is what I consider to be filler for most characters (possibly excepting Duiker.)

e: When things actually happen it's all plot relevant.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

savinhill posted:

I thought he probably commanded some wizards to do that type of stuff for him or to set up the ritual that allowed him to do it.
Wasn't that when they were pulling down TCG? Or am I mixing the two together? I thought TCG was what caused the devastation of Kallor's empire, and certainly remember a bunch of wizards getting burnt up and poo poo during the process.

I always just assumed the whole "blood of royalty" thing was plenty to let someone throw down a sick-rear end curse though - maybe I just grew up reading too much mythology. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
The philosophizing seems a bit out of character at times, due to the fact that a lot of the characters seem much more educated about magic and philosophy than their age or occupation indicates.