Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
If I have to watch one Friday the 13th film, which one should I watch - that is, which has the best deaths, good jokes, lots of hockey mask guy doing ridiculous stunts?

Alternatively, if that's too hard - rank them from best to worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Red posted:

If I have to watch one Friday the 13th film, which one should I watch - that is, which has the best deaths, good jokes, lots of hockey mask guy doing ridiculous stunts?

The first one is probably the best if you want one that most effectively plays it completely straight

Friday the 13th Part VI is interesting as a kind of proto-Scream, in that it makes some nods towards acknowledging horror movie conventions and some slight breaking of the 4th wall. It's not like a deconstruction or anything as significant a change from the franchise as that makes it sound, but there are a couple clever moments.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Red posted:

No hocky mask guy in the 1st one, just fyi (I was expecting that and was disappointed).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Red posted:

My favorite is Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (fourth film). If there was a Maslow's hierarchy of needs pyramid for serial killer monsters Jason seems to be the most self-actualized in that film. He does it all. If you find Crispin Glover funny he's in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_f0ELRcgCo

It has a good synopsis for the first three films at the beginning too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkuA6C7So6k

The first four films make a pretty good tetralogy for fans of the genre. Part 5 is the first one that I remember disliking and it may be the consensus least favorite.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Red posted:

He doesn't get the hockey mask till Part III, just so you know. I, like the others, recommend the first 4, but Jason X is good cheesy fun too.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Hell, I'll go against the grain. If you want the pop culture mythology of Jason boiled down from 4 movies to 1, I say go with the recent Friday the 13th remake.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What are the best, most popular, or most otherwise noteworthy silent films? Is there a silent film thread? Should I, who knows nothing about silent films, make one?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Bongo Bill posted:

What are the best, most popular, or most otherwise noteworthy silent films? Is there a silent film thread? Should I, who knows nothing about silent films, make one?

Everything on here from 1927 or earlier plus City Lights and Modern Times which are from the 30's: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nb_mv_3_chttp And you probably shouldn't make a silent movie unless you have a good reason to because it's not 1927.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Schweinhund posted:

Everything on here from 1927 or earlier plus City Lights and Modern Times which are from the 30's: http://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nb_mv_3_chttp And you probably shouldn't make a silent movie unless you have a good reason to because it's not 1927.

Thanks, but I mean make a thread about silent films, not make a silent film.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Schweinhund posted:

Well, many introductory film classes start off asking students to make a silent (or at least non-dialogue) film in order to emphasize the visual storytelling possibilities of the medium.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Plus nobody has to hold a mic or dub the voices in later.

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
I just made a pretty specific little observation during my rewatch of an older favorite; maybe some of you guys know your trivia enough to explain. In Romero's The Dark Half, I noticed something odd during the final climactic scene: in a couple of the shots where Thad Beaumont is talking to George Stark while Stark is holding the twins in each of his arms (while they are still outside in the living room, with Thad's wife), you can clearly tell that Stark's mangled and bandaged head was composited into the frame from a different shot. It's so odd since other shots that show the three in the exact same position are not composited. So what could have been the reason they did this? Were the baby actors too traumatised of his ugly mug so they needed to do some takes without the horrific makeup? But then in the next shot all of them are clearly physically there, so the kids are right up in his disgusting face. The IMDB trivia page does not say anything about this.

I always find it fascinating to think about how child actors deal with being used in horror movies. I would love to hear about the experiences of some of those kids who were made to do some horrible stuff on screen back in the 80s and 90s, like the kid who played Gage in Pet Sematary.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Silentera.com has a good list:
http://silentera.com/info/top100.html

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

poronty posted:

I always find it fascinating to think about how child actors deal with being used in horror movies. I would love to hear about the experiences of some of those kids who were made to do some horrible stuff on screen back in the 80s and 90s, like the kid who played Gage in Pet Sematary.

Kubrick's daughter made a decent doc during the filming of The Shining, including footage of the characters getting direction, etc.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Thank you for giving me a beautiful site to rip off look through.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This isn't exclusively a movie question, but I've noticed that in older science fiction--mostly the 1950s and 1960s--actors almost universally pronounce the word "robot" as "robutt," with a short o at the end--like how Dr. Zoidberg pronounces it on Futurama.

Does anyone know how or why the word changed so recently and quickly? Robot has been a word in English since 1920, and the most recent version of the older pronunciation I've heard is the dad in Lost in Space on tv in the 60s.

Kind of a stupid question, but it's always bothered me.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I saw the movie Flight last night. Isn't everything in the cockpit recorded? Why don't the investigators care that captain denzel is taking oxygen hits and sleeping for half of the flight?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

LesterGroans posted:

Hell, I'll go against the grain. If you want the pop culture mythology of Jason boiled down from 4 movies to 1, I say go with the recent Friday the 13th remake.

I'm with you on this one. The remake is my favorite movie in the series (though I do like them all). The first 20-30 minutes of the movie is just pure F13 awesomeness. The rest of the movie follows the typical F13 plot but a little more modern than the previous films. I love that the dudebro character is apparently the same character from the first Transformers movie and there are some pretty good kills throughout.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ethanol posted:

I saw the movie Flight last night. Isn't everything in the cockpit recorded? Why don't the investigators care that captain denzel is taking oxygen hits and sleeping for half of the flight?

Probably because drinking on the job was the more worrying concern, plus the fact that despite being against the rules and grounds for dismissal, a pilot or copilot sleeping during the flight is not entirely uncommon and one of the dirty little secrets of the airline industry.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
There was just a news story about pilots sleeping on the job and they weren't going to be punished because they were only scheduled to have 5 hours of sleep.

Also I didn't see that movie but those flight recorders sometimes only record the last 30 minutes of audio. So if there's an incident and it takes 30 minutes to land after that there wouldn't be any audio of the incident.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Red posted:

The second one does not feature the hockey mask, but is easily the best movie.

Parts 1, 4, 6 and the remake make good alternates.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

It's crazy they put Voyage dans la Lune in the 60's. I mean lists are stupid and all, but that's one of the most influential movies ever.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Jack Gladney posted:

This isn't exclusively a movie question, but I've noticed that in older science fiction--mostly the 1950s and 1960s--actors almost universally pronounce the word "robot" as "robutt," with a short o at the end--like how Dr. Zoidberg pronounces it on Futurama.

Does anyone know how or why the word changed so recently and quickly? Robot has been a word in English since 1920, and the most recent version of the older pronunciation I've heard is the dad in Lost in Space on tv in the 60s.

Kind of a stupid question, but it's always bothered me.

I noticed this in a couple of Twilight Zone episodes, it's pretty hilarious. "You see I made Casey. I built him. He's a roebert."

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Zogo posted:

I usually don't mind titles being reused because I can't think of many that overlap in the same year. What I find humorous is the cable providers screwing up and putting the wrong info in the box.

Hitchcock's Notorious on BET, Bing Crosby's Man on Fire, 1939 Jeepers Creepers on Syfy. It's clear they're using some kind of automation.
A little while back, Netflix mismatched the audio and video from the John Frankenheimer and Mario Bava Black Sundays. Hilarity ensued!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The second one does not feature the hockey mask, but is easily the best movie.

Parts 1, 4, 6 and the remake make good alternates.

I honestly haven't seen any of the movies, but I'm floored the hockey mask doesn't show up until the third film. I'm also a little confused that the focus of one of the films (that I watched a few minutes of yesterday, it happened to be on Sci Fi) is a copycat killer.

I'll probably watch the remake first, then go with 4, 6, and maybe... the Manhattan one?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Manhattan one's real bad, but in a pretty fun way.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

effectual posted:

It's crazy they put Voyage dans la Lune in the 60's. I mean lists are stupid and all, but that's one of the most influential movies ever.

While it's one of the most influential films ever made, I can't say it's a better film overall than Sunrise, The Passion of Joan of Arc, The General, or even Nosferatu. I'd definitely rank it as the most important film ever made, perhaps edged only by The Great Train Robbery and Intolerance.

Melies' films are wonderful, though. They're full of energy and fun to watch. Few filmmakers are able to capture the joy of filmmaking as well as he did.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Red posted:

I honestly haven't seen any of the movies, but I'm floored the hockey mask doesn't show up until the third film. I'm also a little confused that the focus of one of the films (that I watched a few minutes of yesterday, it happened to be on Sci Fi) is a copycat killer.

I'll probably watch the remake first, then go with 4, 6, and maybe... the Manhattan one?

I really like part III best myself. I know it's a bad movie and I shouldn't, but I have soft spot for movies that were shot for gimmicky 3D when they're shown in 2D. There are just so many jumps and shots that never, ever work. Boards and yo-yos flying at the camera.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Pretty much every Friday the 13th movie (except 5, stay the hell away from 5) through 6 starts out with a "last 5 minutes of the previous movie" or a recap montage. 7 tried to get to be too supernatural, 8 is not too bad, but it features teleporting Jason. Jason Goes to Hell (#9) is barely a Friday the 13th movie, Jason X is stuck in the modern age of horror movies that try to be funny. Freddy vs Jason is a great ending to either series.

I missed the main discussion earlier, but I can echo their ideas. 1 is a good one to watch for the base idea, 4 might be the best slasher-style of them all, and 6 is one of the best earlier horror-comedy that is self aware.

I initially didn't like the remake when I first saw the trailer (MY Jason doesn't run :colbert:), but once I saw it, it perfectly captures the camp-ness of the 80s movies. I also suggest 3. There are some obvious "THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE 3D GET IT?" spots, but overall, it's a decent movie in the series. I would say watch the remake last.

i.e. the mask: It's certainly an icon now, but back then it was just a way to cover the face he was ashamed of. (Part 2 at the end is your best reveal of it) It wasn't a "Darth Vader's mask gets lowered onto him" kind of moment, he just sort of appears in it. It belonged to one of the characters on Part 3, who gets a jump scare on one of his "friends."

I could go on and on about the series, but there was a retrospective thread that I think finally died and went to archives that hits the first few movies.

aslan
Mar 27, 2012

effectual posted:

I haven't seen much out of the top 25, so I don't know if A Trip to the Moon's placement is entirely fair . . . but it also can't compete with most of those films at the top of the list, most of which were equally or more influential and had significantly more complicated narrative structures than it does. It was an incredibly important work in the history of film, and if the list were designed solely to judge historical importance then it would deserve to be much higher. But it's a list of the "best" silent films, and its story is lacking compared to most of those in the top 25. Stuff like The General/Metropolis/Sunrise/The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari/Nosferatu/Nanook of the North literally created the mold for specific film genres and invented the tropes that are still being used in those genres today, and Birth of a Nation/The Passion of Joan of Arc (among others) changed the way films were shot--and they all had good, well fleshed-out narratives too (well, interesting ones, at least--I'm not sure I'm willing to argue that Birth of a Nation's story structure is objectively good).

At any rate, the list is generated by user votes (so you can send yours in for A Trip to the Moon if you feel it's being slighted!), so it obviously can't be held to a much higher standard than any other movie list compiled by user votes . . . although Silent Era's fan base is probably slightly more educated and introspective than, say, IMDB's. The list is a good starting place, at least.

(And I would love a silent film thread if somebody wants to start one! Maybe it'll convince me to start filling in some of my gaps on the list from 25-100. I wish there was more discussion on the classics/older movies around here, since that's the bulk of what I watch.)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Mixed up some posts. I intended to post this here:

Were there scenes in Lawrence of Arabia that were permanently lost? Learning about the restoration it underwent, it is not quite clear to me whether they recovered everything. Maybe some of you know more about this.

It would be a tragedy if they didn't.

Judakel fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 3, 2013

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shanty posted:

I noticed this in a couple of Twilight Zone episodes, it's pretty hilarious. "You see I made Casey. I built him. He's a roebert."

Even Rod does it in the narration for the one where Lee Marvin does robot boxing! Although he does it more like "robit." What's weird is that Billy Mumy uses the modern pronunciation on Lost in Space, but nobody else does.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I watched Re-Animator recently and loved it. Is anything else by Stuart Gordon worth tracking down? I saw both Robot Jox and Fortress a long time ago, but I don't remember much.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

morestuff posted:

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but I watched Re-Animator recently and loved it. Is anything else by Stuart Gordon worth tracking down? I saw both Robot Jox and Fortress a long time ago, but I don't remember much.
From Beyond is very much worth it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

From Beyond and Stuck are both excellent and Edmond, Dagon and King of the Ants are pretty good too.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
If you liked Re-Animator, From Beyond is similar and also great. Dolls and Castle Freak are highly entertaining too, and I liked King of the Ants a lot, although it isn't a horror movie.

edit: drat, you guys are quick.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Thanks, folks. I was hoping some of these would be streaming on Netflix, but I guess I'll have to track them down the hard way.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Necronomicon is a decent anthology movie.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

At the end of Resolution, were the two main characters killed by Big Foot? Or could it have been this thing:

... from the movie poster? The positioning would be right...

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

In the godfather ii, Michael doesn't let Kay say "what's wrong with Anthony." What's wrong with him?