Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Oh ok thanks. I remember reading that and thinking it was kind of odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Just finished my FT flyer today. Now I have to try to find somewhere to fly it and hope the weather holds up tomorrow.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Got the wings mounted, which was more difficult than I expected.
With a bit of luck, I should get this one in the air next week.
I also managed to put the wings on upside down, which is mostly just a look thing (symmetrical wings, yay), but annoying anyway.
It's a very tight fit for the powerpod and I'm not entirely happy with the amount of force I have to use to mount/unmount it.
Once the local laser-cutting cafe opens again, I'll probably do another version with a handful of changes

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Well in doing prep for my caipirinha wing build I finally got around to really trying to test a dead board cam I got from HK 6 months ago. Turns out the harness was just wired incorrectly and had a short from ground to video out in one of the heat shrinked joins. It works perfectly now I have rewired it. So that is $50 I don't need to spend :toot: Moral of the story, never trust HK wiring harnesses.

I also balanced and installed my rctimer carbon props on my quad. Of course today it is pouring with rain :negative:

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
It was a pretty breezy day to try to maiden my flyer. All I broke was a prop saver o-ring though, so not a disaster.

Have to wait until it's at least still enough to trim it out. I'll probably go ahead and build the FT delta in the meantime, and get the opentx/er9x type firmware on my turnigy 9x. Because setting up stuff on the stock firmware sucks. And it somehow forgot my elevator reverse setting, which was a surprise!

I know most people suggest rudder/ele first but frankly I'm so used to playing flight sims back in the day that the FT delta w/ elevons seems like it might feel more natural for me. My instinct was constantly to try to bank with the FT flyer.

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 22, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Haven't had much time to work on my FT3D, but I did get around to putting it on a scale yesterday, along with the powerpod + lipo: 500grams all up.
That's actually not bad for a 40" plane!. Add 50 grams for servos + control horns/rods, maybe another 30-40g for finishing and it's still entirely reasonable.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

So I've got all my batteries and my 2 ESC's hooked up with XT60 connectors and my FT Delta is together. Going to start the FT Duster here over the weekend. Just waiting for the TX to come in still. Really excited to get to go out and fly when it comes in though.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Managed first place in IMAC Unlimited regional points even though I only got second in the regional fly-off. Won freestyle though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrMAcFsFCYY

I also bought one of the Sebart Mig-29's from Thunder Power as they were on clearance (40% off). Those things were way too expensive when they came out but I always wanted one; I couldn't resist when the price came down.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wojcigitty posted:

Managed first place in IMAC Unlimited regional points even though I only got second in the regional fly-off. Won freestyle though:

I also bought one of the Sebart Mig-29's from Thunder Power as they were on clearance (40% off). Those things were way too expensive when they came out but I always wanted one; I couldn't resist when the price came down.

Yeah, saw that on the RCgroups. Congrats!
What's the manoeuvre you're doing at ~2:45? Looks like a knife-edge spin with added tumble!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Wojcigitty posted:

Wow that is some nice flying, congrats on the win and really nice routine. I really need to start attending more plane funflys, I'm more of a heli guy but seeing some of those big planes put through their paces is pretty incredible.

Should put the finishing touches on my 36" EPP Yak 55 tonight or tomorrow and give it a test flight. Weight without my heavy (70g) battery is 120g which I'm pretty happy with considering I had no idea what I was doing (first EPP plane) and wasn't building with weight in mind. Will toss up some pics of my 30 second paint job sometime this weekend.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Test flew my 36" EPP Yak 55 built from the plans and info here - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964237

Flies good but I need to play with CG a bit which I expected. Have a few different props that should be here Monday, the GWS 8x4.3's I had laying around work but aren't great. Very stable in attempted hovers and attempted high alpha flight, huge control surfaces and throws are a lot of fun. Tested EPP durability when my prop-saver rubber band broke 10ft up in a hover. This thing is going to get a lot of use and I need to see what the rules are for flying something like this at work in the big courtyard.

Flying weight 191g
LensRC 25t brushless
Castle Creations Phoenix 10 ESC
BlueBird 303? 4.3g servos
OrangeRX 3.5g receiver
Turnigy 3s 850mah pack

Wow didn't realize how horrible and blurry that was until now but you get the idea.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Finally got around to testing skinning the FT3D with printed tissue paper. It's a technique that I copied from the RCgroups micro forum and it mostly works:

It's slow going, though and the overlaps are more visible than I would like. ( I also made a couple of mistakes that doesn't help either).

I'm not convinced that the whole procedure is worth it:
- Using low-tack glue, glue tissue paper on top of standard A4
- Trim tissue paper to A4.
- Print desired art work
- Peel off tissue paper from A4 carrier
- Carefully line up and tack with glue stick.
- Permanently fix tissue paper with spray glue.

Not to mention the time spent laying out the design in photoshop/illustrator.
Now I've started, so there's no going back, but there's still another 6-8 hours work left to do on that.
I should just buy an airbrush instead...they have a compressor at my wife's studio.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Has anyone worked with 3-axis gimbals at all? I want to put one on my Skyhunter so it will be stabilized plus p&t. I'm not sure how the yaw works on them. Will it be confused when the plane yaws or can I make it act like a stabilization gyro and just damp out the wags?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

I think this looks great. And who cares about the overlap because you certainly wouldn't see it when it's airborne. Drag that it takes so long though. I purchased some color vinyl tape and am just going to put down some basic patterns on my swapables just to give them a little color.

Josh with Flitetest said they were going to do a warbird series of swapables and I'd love to be able to give them some appropriate coloring but I don't have an airbrush and don't want to lay the coin down for one.

In other news, the correct TX for the turnigy 9xr came in and I couldn't be more excited to get home and bind it to my first pod. Might step out for a quick test flight even.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Feeling pretty accomplished. Got my tx bound to my rx and was able to setup the servos for the delta so that I have Elevons. Wasn't to tough once I figured out what button did what and how to navigate. Wasn't exactly intuitive.

One thing I did have a question about. Has anyone had success with being able to adjust the Turnigy ESC min and max throttle position? My motor doesn't spool up until about 25% throttle. Seems like a large area of play.

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

rotaryfun posted:

Feeling pretty accomplished. Got my tx bound to my rx and was able to setup the servos for the delta so that I have Elevons. Wasn't to tough once I figured out what button did what and how to navigate.

Nice!

rotaryfun posted:

One thing I did have a question about. Has anyone had success with being able to adjust the Turnigy ESC min and max throttle position? My motor doesn't spool up until about 25% throttle. Seems like a large area of play.

I'm pretty sure (ESC are all a little different) that you turn on and set your Tx throttle to 100%, & power up the ESC. After it does its initial beeps, then set it to 0%. It should make more beeps. Please be careful with your prop. as there is potential for injury if you have it attached (I live dangerously/stupid) or remove it.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Widdershins posted:

Please be careful with your prop. as there is potential for injury if you have it attached (I live dangerously/stupid) or remove it.

Just remove the prop first. After having my quad go full power in the living room due to my stupidity I am paranoid about props. I was lucky too and got away with a few welts.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah I was doing all my setup and testing last night with the prop just completely off. Which I'm glad I did because I did attempt to do a throttle min max config and the motor spun up on me which I wasn't expecting to happen. Must have done it wrong.

I left the rx on and turned off the controller. Pushed the throttle to max and turned it back on. Soon as it was bound, the motor spun up. I guess I need to do it the other way around and turn off the rx, set throttle, then rx on.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I hate programming them..it's sooo counter-intuitive and I will be buying a programming card for my next ESC.
Anyways, setting the throttle range isn't *too* hard.
Page 3, under throttle range settings
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/809043064X351363X29.pdf

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
If you're not interested in working with beep codes, you can just buy Hobbywing (or clone) ESCs which all share the same programming interface, and can be setup using a programming card. Turnigy Plush, Hobbywing, and Dynam ESCs work.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Got the throttle min max worked out. Setting the TX then turning the rx on definitely did it. Hardly any play in the throttle at all. So that's cool! Got my RTF Champ bound to the TX too so I'll get to use that with it too so that's awesome! Got different models saved in the controller for each. Time to finish up the swapables!

Question, do I need to purchase the rubber band for the prop saver? Neither the motor or the props came with anything that resembles the black rubber bands that I've seen in YouTube videos.

Also been meaning to ask but what's the typical charge life of the controller battery? It's the 9XR with a 3S 2200. Doesn't hurt to check it after every use but I was just curious.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 2, 2013

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

rotaryfun posted:

Question, do I need to purchase the rubber band for the prop saver? Neither the motor or the props came with anything that resembles the black rubber bands that I've seen in YouTube videos.

They're just o-rings. You can get some at the local hardware store.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

rotaryfun posted:

Also been meaning to ask but what's the typical charge life of the controller battery? It's the 9XR with a 3S 2200. Doesn't hurt to check it after every use but I was just curious.

Quite a while. The 9XR will work all the way down to 9v, I think, although I tend to recharge when it drops below 11v.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Quite a while. The 9XR will work all the way down to 9v, I think, although I tend to recharge when it drops below 11v.

Yeah, don't run your 3S battery down below 9v or you'll damage it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

CrazyLittle posted:

They're just o-rings. You can get some at the local hardware store.

You can also purchase a couple of feet of surgical rubber and cut little rings off of it. You get a near-lifetime supply of prop savers for a couple of bucks.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

It looks like Hobby King can only ship lipos with fedex priority from their international warehouse. NooOOoooOOoooOoooOOOoooOoooOOoooOOooOOOooOOooooooo!

$30 fedex vs $15 airmail sucks a lot. I guess I had better order more batteries then to make it worthwhile :shepface:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
If you're in the US just order from the Hobbyking US warehouse.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

If you're in the US just order from the Hobbyking US warehouse.

I'm in Canada. Shipping from the US warehouse has pretty horrible brokerage applied sometimes. I guess its time to start shipping to Point Robert or Blaine and doing a boarder run for my lipos.

I am going to be in the USA for a couple of weeks soon though so I might just stock up while I'm there.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
FPV plane taken on weather balloon to 100k+ feet and perfect drop. If OSD is accurate it did at least 625mph in descent, breaking the sound barrier. Fastest RC flight ever?

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?17234-My-near-space-attempt-1&p=348878&viewfull=1#post348878

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Thunder Power is having a sale on their battery packs. Good battery packs and some decent prices.

Pricing and coupon code at the link - http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Sale-Low-Priced-LiPos.html?soid=1108971494699&aid=qUP-0N-AWyA

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Vitamin J posted:

FPV plane taken on weather balloon to 100k+ feet and perfect drop. If OSD is accurate it did at least 625mph in descent, breaking the sound barrier. Fastest RC flight ever?

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?17234-My-near-space-attempt-1&p=348878&viewfull=1#post348878

Don't think he broke the sound barrier. First, he really needs the True Airspeed, as pressure & temperature variations will have an effect on the sound barrier, also the soundbarrier at 60k feet is ~660mph and only drops below 625mph at 215k feet.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/atmosphere/q0112.shtml

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

It would be interesting to see how a smaller version of space ship two would perform after being dropped from the balloon. The feathering tail booms might help keep the plane more stable on the way down.

It sounds like he had pretty much no control left after the drop. I don't think anyone has really been that successful actually flying an fpv plane back from that altitude yet.

I would love to try something like this but the cost involved must be pretty high.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

First flight attempt completed with the flitetest delta. And it was a complete failure! 3 attempts to hand launch and all 3 ended with nose dives 10 ft in front of me. Resulting in 2 broken props and a broken firewall. I knew the props were way out of balance and they were heavily vibrating by < 50% throttle. Would this cause the nose dive? Its cg was well balanced. Also what size o rings should I get? The ones I got must have been too large but they were tough to get on. First spin up the prop shot off so I did the o ring and a wrapped up a rubber band around it.

Answers? Tips?

Plan on picking up a prop balancer and some proper prop saver bands.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 4, 2013

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

First flight attempt completed with the flitetest delta. And it was a complete failure! 3 attempts to hand launch and all 3 ended with nose dives 10 ft in front of me. Resulting in 2 broken props and a broken firewall. I knew the props were way out of balance and they were heavily vibrating by < 50% throttle. Would this cause the nose dive? Its cg was well balanced. Also what size o rings should I get? The ones I got must have been too large but they were tough to get on. First spin up the prop shot off so I did the o ring and a wrapped up a rubber band around it.

Answers? Tips?

Plan on picking up a prop balancer and some proper prop saver bands.

Prop on backwards? Writing should be facing forwards.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

mashed_penguin posted:

It would be interesting to see how a smaller version of space ship two would perform after being dropped from the balloon. The feathering tail booms might help keep the plane more stable on the way down.

It sounds like he had pretty much no control left after the drop. I don't think anyone has really been that successful actually flying an fpv plane back from that altitude yet.

I would love to try something like this but the cost involved must be pretty high.
He said he thinks his servos stripped out shortly after the drop. There were a few moments that looked like controlled flight but it didn't last long. I think he also had an autopilot of some sort flying it which is why it was so sporadic.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Yup double checked it each time I put a prop on.

ghost
Jul 23, 2002

Update on my Flip FPV after several upgrades and addition of FPV.

Current components:
- Hoverthings Flip FPV frame
- SunnySky V2216-12 KV800 II Brushless Motors
- AfroESC 30A
- Witespy MultiWii Pro Ez3.0 Black
- 6M GPS Module with Mag
- OLED screen
- Fatshark Predator V2
- HQProp carbon composite 8x5
- Witespy power distribution board
- Red and white LED strips
- More wires, connectors, and soldering than I thought I'd ever have to do
- 4s 3000 mAh Zippy battery
- LemonRX UART PPM 6ch receiver

Soon to be upgraded:
- HQProp 9x5 or HQProp 10x47 depending on how the 9's do
- Circular polarized vTX and vRX
- MinimOSD

Constructive criticism and suggestions welcome, as well as questions. I love this hobby!

Widdershins
May 19, 2007
Not even trying

rotaryfun posted:

Would this cause the nose dive? Its cg was well balanced.

Is it a dive or is there not enough speed/lift and it's stalling?
May seem silly but, are you 100% sure your control surfaces aren't reversed?
It's easy to get excited about flying the plane and forget something like that in your pre-flight check.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

Widdershins posted:

May seem silly but, are you 100% sure your control surfaces aren't reversed?

Nope I set them up the other day then did my pre flight check of all the surfaces. Had to swap the model on the controller back and checked for my elevons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

How much would this mess up my flight? It looks like a the part of the prop that attaches to the motor is too large for the motor. It definitely overlaps the edge of the prop saver and the inside of it is bigger than the shaft. Was definitely vibrating A LOT.

Only registered members can see post attachments!