Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

The_Rob posted:

If you guys are interested in the many theories of The Shining. I recommend you check out Room 237. It starts out with some really great analysis and halfway through goes right into crazy town. It's honestly the most captivating movie about a movie I have ever seen.

Just watched it last night and have to agree, it's pretty fascinating and entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Just watched it last night and have to agree, it's pretty fascinating and entertaining.

Really? I thought it was unbearable. I was shocked that someone was able to make a boring and frustrating movie from such a good concept. And I love the Shining. And I have read multiple Collative Learning analyses in their entirety.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mescal posted:

Really? I thought it was unbearable. I was shocked that someone was able to make a boring and frustrating movie from such a good concept. And I love the Shining. And I have read multiple Collative Learning analyses in their entirety.

I don't get how you could have liked the concept then, because the concept is literally what the movie is. Have people talk about their analysis of the shining.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Well Tabloid was excellent. Just watched it with the gf and my roommate with a bottle or two of wine. Every single minute of it somehow got progressively weirder. I'm surprised I had never heard of the whole case/story before.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Is there a way to get around netflix blocks on iphone? I can watch netflix on my computer just fine, but I can't even install the netflix app, let alone watch it using mobile chrome or something. Googling just turned up lazy DNS methods that were bunk.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Sarchasm posted:

In other Louis CK news, his directorial debut Pootie Tang is also up on streaming for anyone who would like to check that out. Never seen it myself, I'll leave commentary for someone else. Apparently he's a bit embarrassed of it these days, though, so tempering your expectations seems like good advice.

A buddy of mine and I skipped work to see Pootie Tang the day it premiered. The only other people in the theater were a mother and her retarded son, who laughed so earnestly the entire time and thought the movie was the greatest thing he had ever seen. Seeing him enjoy it so much made the movie even more fun than it was. We talked to his mom afterward and she said she had not seem him so happy in quite a while :3:

My friend somehow got Louis CK's email address and wrote him with nothing but "sine yo pitty on the runny kine" in the text. A few days later he got a reply "Sa da te". They went back and forth with Pootie-speak for a few more emails until one or both got bored with it. We had no idea who Louis was or the star he'd become else my friend surely would have kept those emails forever but sadly they're long gone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

E the Shaggy posted:

Season 3 is LIGHT YEARS ahead of season 2.

Got a quick math problem for you: 1000 x 0 = ?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Walking Dead is really bland, but when you look at the source material it's pretty unsurprising. I did love the way they handled they governor though: Taking what people raved about him from the comics, being unrepentantly brutal, and instead make him a competent leader positioned beside Rick. Sure, he's not a good guy, but he's leagues better for those around him than Rick.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

kaworu posted:

Man on Wire
I watched this recently and liked it too. It's set up almost like a spy caper. I thought it was interesting (and actually refreshing) that they never mentioned 9/11 at all - it's going to be on everyone's mind anyway since the stunt obviously can never be recreated. I'm not even sure somebody could pull off something like this in a post-9/11 world with all the added security everywhere (not in the US, at least). He would have probably been sniped off the line!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Danger posted:

Walking Dead is really bland, but when you look at the source material it's pretty unsurprising.

I think the blandness of the TV series is even more surprising when you consider the source material. I gave up reading the comic because it was too intense, whereas I don't think I've ever made it through more than a few episodes of the TV series without playing with my phone or doing some chore at the same time.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The comics are really bland too once since they're just walking on the same treadmill of poo poo goes wrong > Rick makes it better > something worse happens > Rick gives a speech ad nauseum forever.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

SRM posted:

The comics are really bland too once since they're just walking on the same treadmill of poo poo goes wrong > Rick makes it better > something worse happens > Rick gives a speech ad nauseum forever.

I agree that this is currently true, but it was pretty drat readable early on. They should have ended it like a year or two ago.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It should've ended at least like five years ago. If he wants to make a soap opera he should sit down and watch a drat soap opera and figure out why they work in the first place.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The tv show doesn't have dialogue written by Kirkman, so at least it has that going for it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It's really telling when the author's explicit stated intent is to make something that never ends. It's pretty hard to make something with a satisfying conclusion when there's no third act, just acts one and two over and over again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SRM posted:

It's really telling when the author's explicit stated intent is to make something that never ends. It's pretty hard to make something with a satisfying conclusion when there's no third act, just acts one and two over and over again.

Yup.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Isn't that most comic books and television though? Just an attempt to stretch a story out until you get cancelled?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

axleblaze posted:

Isn't that most comic books and television though? Just an attempt to stretch a story out until you get cancelled?

I feel this is also life.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yes, but if you have a creator owned series that is explicitly free of that kind of corporate mandated storytelling, why the hell would you want to emulate that? Like way before it became a huge TV show, Kirkman's stated intention was to never end the story and just kind of wing the whole thing. As a result, unsurprisingly, it's an 100+ issue shaggy dog story with each issue indistinguishable from the next.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yeah it's better but it drags quite a bit in the second half.

It basically peaks when Rick has to go back home, then everything after that is just crap.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yes, but if you have a creator owned series that is explicitly free of that kind of corporate mandated storytelling, why the hell would you want to emulate that? Like way before it became a huge TV show, Kirkman's stated intention was to never end the story and just kind of wing the whole thing. As a result, unsurprisingly, it's an 100+ issue shaggy dog story with each issue indistinguishable from the next.

Furthermore why would the audience ever give a poo poo about these characters if we're told from the start they will be stuck doing the same things over and over. Zombie Groundhog Day, bitches.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't call it crap but Season 3 does peter out. The first half is actually outstanding and probably what everyone expects from a show like Walking Dead.

I have a feeling either outside forces (money/budget) kneecapped what the writers wanted to do with the second half of the season (or how they wanted to proceed with Season 4). That last half is either going to get retroactively better or worse depending on where they go from there.

Edit: VVVVV Yes he is

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 30, 2013

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Is Rick still alive in the comics? I haven't read any for about three years.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
There's been talk of a Walking Dead spinoff, and of all the silly ideas that AMC is kicking around now I think it honestly sounds the best. Get a new showrunner, unencumbered from the comic books, have a small, focused ensemble cast, and just knock out of the park a 2-3 season arc.

So much better than the crap show it is now. Just..boring. I think I got more enjoyment out of the (season 3 spoiler) endless mocking of T-dogg and his death on online forums than I did out of the show.

I also think it was a big mistake to (season 1 spoiler) find the CDC so soon.

Sigh.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Cocoa Ninja posted:

There's been talk of a Walking Dead spinoff, and of all the silly ideas that AMC is kicking around now I think it honestly sounds the best. Get a new showrunner, unencumbered from the comic books, have a small, focused ensemble cast, and just knock out of the park a 2-3 season arc.

So much better than the crap show it is now. Just..boring. I think I got more enjoyment out of the (season 3 spoiler) endless mocking of T-dogg and his death on online forums than I did out of the show.

I also think it was a big mistake to (season 1 spoiler) find the CDC so soon.

Sigh.

AMC making a Walking Dead spinoff is the weirdest thing since the biggest reason why Walking Dead had such a huge reduction in quality between season 1 and season 2 is because AMC slashed their budget and fired the showrunner. Maybe they should have, you know, not hosed over their three biggest shows and pushed two of them to an early grave in the first place.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

...of SCIENCE! posted:

AMC making a Walking Dead spinoff is the weirdest thing since the biggest reason why Walking Dead had such a huge reduction in quality between season 1 and season 2 is because AMC slashed their budget and fired the showrunner. Maybe they should have, you know, not hosed over their three biggest shows and pushed two of them to an early grave in the first place.

It's still an incredibly huge hit for them despite all the loving around. I'm pretty sure it regularly outdraws network shows in the same timeslot, and it crushes in the key demo.

They unfortunately don't really have any incentive to change.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Viewers are compelled to watch it in order to complain.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

AMC making a Walking Dead spinoff is the weirdest thing since the biggest reason why Walking Dead had such a huge reduction in quality between season 1 and season 2 is because AMC slashed their budget and fired the showrunner.

Well, Season 1 wasn't that great in the first place. Don't forget that the first six-episode season had one episode devoted to a street gang that took over day-to-day operations at a nursing home after the outbreak and two episodes revolving around a talking computer and a CDC building rigged with thousands of pounds of explosives. At its best The Walking Dead was only ever half good.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

Well, Season 1 wasn't that great in the first place. Don't forget that the first six-episode season had one episode devoted to a street gang that took over day-to-day operations at a nursing home after the outbreak and two episodes revolving around a talking computer and a CDC building rigged with thousands of pounds of explosives. At its best The Walking Dead was only ever half good.

Yeah it always makes me laugh that people have looked back fondly on Season 1 of that show when it's largely not that good outside of the first episode. They should get the people who wrote the recent game to work on the show since it's been the best Walking Dead anything that's been released.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I was never really into the show (aside from the pilot, and even then that was more due to the production values than anything) but I can understand why it was popular: it had actual zombies. Unlike season 2 which was just people hanging out in a barn doing nothing.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I liked season 1.

I think season 2 would have been improved greatly if it were also like just 6 episodes long.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

I liked season 1.

I think season 2 would have been improved greatly if it were also like just 6 episodes long.

As much as it pains me to say it I think that Frank Darabont was probably the wrong person to bring it to screen. He was way out of his depth (He originally planned to write all of Season 2 by himself) and set a pretty poor template for what the show would be.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I actually really enjoyed Season 2 of The Walking Dead. I understand those that have concerns about pacing, but I was happy to have the show slow down quite a bit and get more intimate with the characters. The entire season built up to the little girl walking out of the barn. It was one of the only times that my jaw hit the floor when watching television. Everything had been building up to it and to see it happen in that way was remarkable, in my opinion.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I figured the spoilered plot point was a foregone conclusion by the time it happened. I liked Season 2 because it was a slow buildup to the confrontation between Shane and Rick, and also that fun finale.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Sarchasm posted:

Good lord those were horrible. Those are also the two where the story first started to diverge from the comics, and although I'm not in love with the comics, at least the comics keep moving and the detours don't get that dumb. Those two episodes feel jarringly out of place even in the TV show's world.

Also for the nursing home, don't forget that the badass street gang turns out to actually be the caretakers and janitorial staff, because everyone else took off when the outbreak hit. Also cut to the payoff shot of the big scary guard dog they keep talking about, surprise, it turns out to be something completely different than what you were expecting! It's like something from the worst sitcom, all that was missing was a laugh track.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I just watched Witness for the Prosecution, and it's a great courtroom drama. Typically wonderful direction from Billy Wilder, Charles Laughton is great in the lead role, and the ending is perfect.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

e: wrong thread!

weekly font fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 1, 2013

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

weekly font posted:

Just placed an order with amazon for integral pieces of a Spring Breakers "Alien" Halloween costume.

Halloween forever bitches...

Now I want a sequel to Spring Breakers called Alien Resurrection. :rimshot:

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Walking Dead is flashes of brilliance in a pile of boring nonsense. The first three seasons could have very easily been three pretty good movies. The stuff they've done well keeps me watching, and I feel dumb for it sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The main problem with the Walking Dead comics was there was no plot, just story. Things happened and just kept happening with no end in sight. Is it still going? I dunno. I stopped reading after something like 13 volumes, it was the Series of Unfortunate Events of comics.

• Locked thread