Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Was this supposed to be an example of being nice?

:D

Just trying to help out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

nigga crab pollock posted:

Does anyone run MIUI? What do you think of it

He was joking, but it's very iphone like. No app drawer, everything is right there in the homescreens.

Also, it has a settings implementation that makes more sense than anything anyone else has done on android. I wish Google would straight up rip them off.

Besides that, it's Android. Try it, it's nice.

revolther
May 27, 2008
White themed with tacky switches but otherwise functionally identical to other custom roms...

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I've recently switched to MIUI and I love it, probably more than I like CM. Apart from a bit of lag, which is partially due to not having TRIMmed my phone partitions before on a 2+ year old phone and partially due to the phone being a Nexus S - not all that powerful these days. I like it. It's Android, but cleaned up a bit.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Does anyone know of (or rather is there even) a fix for the LTE indicator not working in CM 10.1? If it's broken and unfixable, is there a decent app to see it?

Jawtramp
Nov 27, 2010

by XyloJW
Does anyone run PAC-ROM? http://pac-rom.com/ Do you like it? I run it on my S4.

Jawtramp fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 30, 2013

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Civil posted:

He was joking, but it's very iphone like. No app drawer, everything is right there in the homescreens.

Also, it has a settings implementation that makes more sense than anything anyone else has done on android. I wish Google would straight up rip them off.

Besides that, it's Android. Try it, it's nice.

Unless something has changed in the last few years, you can replace the MIUI launcher with Nova.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Jawtramp posted:

Does anyone run PAC-ROM? http://pac-rom.com/ Do you like it? I run it on my S4.

I tried it on a Sprint Galaxy S3 and it was pretty awesome but would lock up and reboot about once a day. I had to go back to stock for an unrelated reason and ended up staying with Stock+Nova.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

So I want to try some new roms on my Verizon s4. What are the best out there, both Touchwiz and non?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Holy crap is unlocking/rooting/etc the AT&T One X impossible. I just got this phone back from a friend who had it on permanent loan and now I want to get CM on it. None of the toolkits or CID spoofers (Xfactor 2.20) work correctly due to random adb shell error messages.... I'm super frustrated.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

Holy crap is unlocking/rooting/etc the AT&T One X impossible. I just got this phone back from a friend who had it on permanent loan and now I want to get CM on it. None of the toolkits or CID spoofers (Xfactor 2.20) work correctly due to random adb shell error messages.... I'm super frustrated.

Your friend probably took an OTA that killed the exploit. See if you can RUU to an older version of the firmware.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ProjektorBoy posted:

Your friend probably took an OTA that killed the exploit. See if you can RUU to an older version of the firmware.

The latest OTA supposedly still is supposed to work... I'll check that out.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

Aardvark Barber posted:

So I want to try some new roms on my Verizon s4. What are the best out there, both Touchwiz and non?

I was using eclipse aosp, but cm 10.2 nightlines have been great for the last week.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey so I'm trying to update my OS (to latest CodefireX nightly for my device) and while trying to backup I get "error while making back-up image of /cache". That's bad, right? For what it's worth, there is a new image under the restore menu.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I am planning on getting the Droid Maxx from Verizon, and looking up bootloader unlock status it seems that the developer of Safestrap is close to releasing a version that works on the Moto X, and presumably the Maxx as well.

Can someone who has used Safestrap on another phone let me know how it works? Is it functionally like having a true unlocked bootloader or are there limitations or other downsides?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

So apparently test versions of the 10.2 ROMs went up on get.cm for toroplus devices, though the most recent one doesn't have LTE. Sooooo yeah, that's a thing.

Don't install these

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 4, 2013

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Does anyone know why, in CM10.1.3, apps don't clear themselves from RAM after I tap home and go on to do other things? Usually they clear as RAM is needed for other processes but I ended up getting Winamp to stutter hard while playing music and found out I had 22 things open on my phone at the same time. Not sure if anyone else has encountered this error, and it's really not that big of a deal to clear apps on my own, I'm just curious.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

FFStudios posted:

Does anyone know why, in CM10.1.3, apps don't clear themselves from RAM after I tap home and go on to do other things? Usually they clear as RAM is needed for other processes but I ended up getting Winamp to stutter hard while playing music and found out I had 22 things open on my phone at the same time. Not sure if anyone else has encountered this error, and it's really not that big of a deal to clear apps on my own, I'm just curious.

How did you find out about 22 things being open? Multitask menu? I could be wrong but I think stuff can still stay in the multitask menu even after it's been auto-cleared from ram. I'm very sure I've clicked things in the multitask menu only to discover I was opening a fresh instance of it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Alan_Shore posted:

I want to ask questions about the Note 2 and kernels/rom recommendations, like if there are any things worth keeping from Touchwiz or if I should just install Carbon like I did for the Note 1, and if I should bother with one of these supposedly amazing custom kernels. Can anyone please talk to me over PMs? The XDA developers forums is a nightmare of broken sentences and confusing acronyms.
The point of the thread is to be able to discuss this stuff with others. You can PM me but if you are interested in Note II stuff we can probably help you with most of it here. First of all, if you choose a ROM that is based on AOSP such as CyanogenMod, Carbon or Beanstalk, there are very few custom kernels for it - I only remember one called SOAP. The phone is fast as hell and you probably have no need for overclocking so the included kernel is fine. If you choose a TW based ROM you will have your choice of custom kernels like Saber but you you can't update nearly as easily as CM. I guess it depends on what you want to gain from a custom ROM and whether you will actually miss anything from TouchWiz that can't be emulated with another app.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

You can go to Settings > Apps > Running to see what apps are in RAM.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Vin BioEthanol posted:

How did you find out about 22 things being open? Multitask menu? I could be wrong but I think stuff can still stay in the multitask menu even after it's been auto-cleared from ram. I'm very sure I've clicked things in the multitask menu only to discover I was opening a fresh instance of it.

In the top right there's a slightly opaque icon that is the "clear all" button. I pressed it and a bar came up saying "22 processes closed".

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dancer posted:

Hey so I'm trying to update my OS (to latest CodefireX nightly for my device) and while trying to backup I get "error while making back-up image of /cache". That's bad, right? For what it's worth, there is a new image under the restore menu.
It's not the worst thing. The most important things are that it got boot, /system, and /data. Cache is nice to have, but unnecessary. That's an odd thing to get an error on, however. Are you on the latest version of TWRP or CWM?

THF13 posted:

I am planning on getting the Droid Maxx from Verizon, and looking up bootloader unlock status it seems that the developer of Safestrap is close to releasing a version that works on the Moto X, and presumably the Maxx as well.

Can someone who has used Safestrap on another phone let me know how it works? Is it functionally like having a true unlocked bootloader or are there limitations or other downsides?

Safestrap isn't like a true unlocked bootloader. It's just a bypass that redirects the boot process. You won't be able to flash kernels, but you will be able to run alternate versions of /system so you can be on a different ROM. Since the original /system is write protected it's likely going to make you take a hit to your internal storage if you want to flash a ROM.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I've been running the 10.2 nightlies on my Sprint Galaxy S4. The past several (as in, since Sept. 23rd-ish) ones have had loads of data drops, as in, every 2 minutes or so. The changelog has mentioned sprint fixes a few nightlies back but they don't seem to fix the issue.

Is anyone else seeing this and is there a known fix? The XDA thread on it mentions an APN issue, but some comments say that's not it, plus I'm pretty leery of anything posted on XDA anyway.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I just bought myself an HTC One X (international model with Tegra3) and I'd like to know what I can do to get the most reliability and stability and battery life from it.

I have CM 10.1 on my Galaxy Nexus (also international model) and I'm kinda ready for Sense now. What Sense ROMs should I be looking at? Is Sense 5 worth upgrading to if there are ROMs available for it?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Syrinxx posted:

The point of the thread is to be able to discuss this stuff with others. You can PM me but if you are interested in Note II stuff we can probably help you with most of it here. First of all, if you choose a ROM that is based on AOSP such as CyanogenMod, Carbon or Beanstalk, there are very few custom kernels for it - I only remember one called SOAP. The phone is fast as hell and you probably have no need for overclocking so the included kernel is fine. If you choose a TW based ROM you will have your choice of custom kernels like Saber but you you can't update nearly as easily as CM. I guess it depends on what you want to gain from a custom ROM and whether you will actually miss anything from TouchWiz that can't be emulated with another app.

I can register a personal recommendation for Carbon with the Plasma kernel, and I'd stick with the 1.8 stable rom and 1.67 kernel respectively.

I don't think they've quite reached basic usability in their 4.3 branch yet, and plasma has switched to 4.3 as well after 1.67. If you want to live dangerously, though, go for it.

I suggest plasma for its improvements in CPU control mainly; it goes far towards stretching your battery while maintaining good performance.

I suggest Carbon for, just, the degree of professionalism the dev team presents, as compared to any TouchWiz team I've encountered. And, of course, because the rom is loving peerless.

That's how I run my phone, anyways. I can get into specific setup and parameters if you want, by PM or otherwise.

Enjoy, anyways.

E: meant to quote the man with the question, but post stands.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is the Interactive governor in CM 10.2 known to be poo poo on the Nexus 4? Whenever I update CM, it reverts to that and burns through battery at an alarming rate. It seems to be fine if I switch it to On Demand, however.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

hooah posted:

Is the Interactive governor in CM 10.2 known to be poo poo on the Nexus 4? Whenever I update CM, it reverts to that and burns through battery at an alarming rate. It seems to be fine if I switch it to On Demand, however.

On my One I think my battery lasts longer on demand vs interactive. I think the default is on demand on the One.

If you open up settings, then performance, then processor, you should be able to check "set at boot" and change the governor there.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

You can't change the governor on the Nexus 4. I mean to say you can, but your choice is silently overridden immediately. It is always ondemand with mpdecision and nothing you do can change that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

You can't change the governor on the Nexus 4. I mean to say you can, but your choice is silently overridden immediately. It is always ondemand with mpdecision and nothing you do can change that.

Then why do I see the horrendous battery life when CM's settings sections says Interactive (which is apparently the CM default)?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Then why do I see the horrendous battery life when CM's settings sections says Interactive (which is apparently the CM default)?
I don't have the device running CM to check but I follow that device's xda thread and the governor selection has never worked as far as I know. The default should be ondemand and if changing it to something else causes poor life it's probably because it keeps trying to apply a change that won't stick.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I don't have the device running CM to check but I follow that device's xda thread and the governor selection has never worked as far as I know. The default should be ondemand and if changing it to something else causes poor life it's probably because it keeps trying to apply a change that won't stick.

I'm just imagining the OS driving itself nuts in an endless "Duck Season" - "Wabbit Season" loop and the poor battery as Elmer Fudd just decides to drop a nuke on the forest.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

So I just rooted my S3. It was surprisingly easy, I expected to use the whole afternoon... Anyway, now I want to wipe it and reinstall another rom (that's what they call it, right?) and get rid of all those pesky apps that came pre-installed with it. I've had the phone for a year and it's starting to get a bit slow now and then, but I'd like to backup all my contacts, wifi passwords, swiftkey dictionary and other smaller things before doing anything. Is Titanium backup still the app to use to do this? I guess Kies is supposed to do be able to do it but its so terribly non-responsive so I don't know if I can trust it.

tl;dr I want to reinstall everything on my phone, but I want to backup the important things first to the SD card and/or dropbox before starting.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

FFStudios posted:

I absolutely hate my Galaxy Nexus's ability to manage programs with CM10+. I routinely have to manually close programs to avoid making the phone run like trash. It's kind of infuriating, to be honest.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

euroboy posted:

So I just rooted my S3. It was surprisingly easy, I expected to use the whole afternoon... Anyway, now I want to wipe it and reinstall another rom (that's what they call it, right?) and get rid of all those pesky apps that came pre-installed with it. I've had the phone for a year and it's starting to get a bit slow now and then, but I'd like to backup all my contacts, wifi passwords, swiftkey dictionary and other smaller things before doing anything. Is Titanium backup still the app to use to do this? I guess Kies is supposed to do be able to do it but its so terribly non-responsive so I don't know if I can trust it.

tl;dr I want to reinstall everything on my phone, but I want to backup the important things first to the SD card and/or dropbox before starting.

Contacts and Wi-Fi password should be backed up to Google's servers already, I would hope that swiftkey has some sort of cloud backup like Swype does, but for apps and app data, Titanium Backup is still the way to go.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I absolutely hate my Galaxy Nexus's ability to manage programs with CM10+. I routinely have to manually close programs to avoid making the phone run like trash. It's kind of infuriating, to be honest.
I've been running CM10 and the point releases since they came out and have no issues like this on my GSM Galaxy Nexus. Since CM merged the Dalvik heap size fix, I've had no memory problems at all.

I know this doesn't help you resolve your problem but it is a datapoint that suggests it's not the ROM's fault.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Since there's a bug in the CM kernel (see previous discussion about governor) and Franco's kernel is apparently now incompatible, does anyone else have any recommendations for kernels that will work with CM 10.2 on a Nexus 4?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

hooah posted:

Since there's a bug in the CM kernel (see previous discussion about governor) and Franco's kernel is apparently now incompatible, does anyone else have any recommendations for kernels that will work with CM 10.2 on a Nexus 4?

Faux123 's kernel is also now incompatible. Run an older nightly or wait I guess. :shobon:

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
So I've been looking at rooting and getting Cyanogen on my HTC One (and my Nook HD+). I think I understand the process, but I have a few things I am not clear on.

1) What is the "Soff/Son" setting? If I understand right this somehow detects if you root the phone, but on some phones there are ways to reset this? Is this something I need to worry about? What if the phone physically breaks, is this how they test for rooting (and voided varranty)?

2) Is there a way to get a copy of the stock (AT&T, in my case) rom, if I need to go back? If I brick it, is it possible to reflash that stock rom?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Finagle posted:

1) What is the "Soff/Son" setting? If I understand right this somehow detects if you root the phone, but on some phones there are ways to reset this? Is this something I need to worry about? What if the phone physically breaks, is this how they test for rooting (and voided varranty)?

A couple of things. "root" is a method of obtaining administrator privileges on your operating system, allowing you to do more with your system than normal. Sometimes obtaining "root" is enough to get a custom boot loader, which will then let you flash a custom rom.

SOff is turning off image security, meaning you can install a custom rom using the standard install methods.

Root and the hacks that allow a custom boot loader can sometimes be patched over and fixed forever. SOff is generally permanent, allowing your phone to be reflashed at will.

"Unlocked Bootloader" works very similar to SOff, hence the security concerns around it and one of the many reasons why carriers tend to shy away from that option (that and being dicks that love CarrierIQ more than their customers).

So, you can "Root" without ever loving with the ROM at all. You can get SOff or Unlock without root (I'm actually in this camp currently). One is inside the operating system and one is above/below it.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Got a question about updating after rooting my device (currently a S4 free). When I check for updates it says that my phone is modified and will not update. Will i need to remove/uninstall SuperUser app when 4.3 arrives for galaxy s4 users? Or do I need to restore my phone to stock settings before?