Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It's all either mission packs or cosmetics. So you can not pay anything afte rthat, it all depends on if you want more story/ability to be a pretty princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cheston posted:

Dragon agents don't know anything. It's seriously canon that the handler who was sending us the good poo poo got 'disconnected,' and every mission report since has been just been space-filling "chaos, bro."

Most of the good poo poo is from Bong Cha and she's still around :v:

Bursk
Nov 12, 2007

Bank of Bursk

Fuzz posted:

Saw that this is on Steam Sale and is now F2P after you buy... does the microtransaction and cash store stuff end up being required to play, or can you just straight up ignore it forever and not miss out on huge portions of endgame content?

Hey, Fuzz. I've only been playing a few months and haven't got very far (I play casually with the gf) but I have to say that the game is fantastic. At some point you will (according to people here who've done the entire game) most likely want to buy some of the DLC "Issues" for the extra end-game content, but there's so much fun and value in the base game already, and none of the Issues are really required; they're just extra goodness that adds to the story.

I hope more people buy this game, because it really is superb (also, you don't have to wait 2 years for it to be released!).

PS Sending you a PM!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Issues that you can pay for are basically irrelevant to end game content. They're still very worth buying because they're very well written, voice acted, just plain good stories.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Fuzz posted:

Saw that this is on Steam Sale and is now F2P after you buy... does the microtransaction and cash store stuff end up being required to play, or can you just straight up ignore it forever and not miss out on huge portions of endgame content?
I'm still in a relatively low level area due to dumbness, but the entire game until end game can be treated as a competent single player effort with lots of voiced dialogue and cutscenes that just happens to also have slightly grindy mmo mechanics. Except for the Issues (well made, plot relevant bonus content) and some non offensive boost type things, everything in the cash shop is dress up, which is on top of fairly robust in game options already.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Cleretic posted:

There's one thing everyone can agree on, though: We have no goddamn clue what to make of the Dragon.

Cleretic posted:

My secondary theory is that the Dragon are full of poo poo, and take the sentence 'I meant to do that' to an absurd level.

I still like your pet theory on the Dragon; it sums them up quite nicely.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

There's evidence that the Dragon, not as its current organization but as a movement, goes back as far as the Second Era.

They're not all knowing by any stretch of the imagination, but they're definitely not full of poo poo. Something is guiding them

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The Dragon are a paradox: Depth through shallowness. They tell you of grand schemes, but the details are gibberish. You can only assume that the obscurity hides a larger plan, but they could just be pulling it out of their rear end as they go. They could be amateurs, but all they have to do is tease you with granules of a grand plan and you'll assume that they've got the whole universe down. The less they explain, the more you fill in, so their power isn't in their plan, it's in their power to drag you along thinking there's a plan waiting.

There can only be one conclusion: The Dragon are Funcom's writers.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 27, 2013

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.
The Dragon are full of poo poo and rule with a velvet glove. They talk about having models as if they've got hundreds of actuaries crunching numbers coming up with how things are going to go, but it's probably just all a crafted illusion and they've got someone (or more likely a shadow council) calling the shots from above.

The Dragon's head probably don't like punching above their weight and prefer a style of subtly nudging/manipulating situations towards their favor and slowly accumulating power over the long term.

All the Chaos theory bullshit is just that, bullshit. Designed to obfuscate and obscure the real power structure of the Dragon.

E: :tinfoil:

Okita fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 27, 2013

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Yeah, I'm near the end of the story line with Dragon and I still don't understand them. I wish I had rolled Illuminati. :(

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Always be Illuminati.

Kirsten Rules Everything Around Me
K.R.E.A.M

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Brackhar posted:

Yeah, I'm near the end of the story line with Dragon and I still don't understand them. I wish I had rolled Illuminati. :(

It's pretty basic really. The Dragon are fascists, the same as the Templars, their end goal however is ruling you without you ever knowing you're being ruled. The ultimate illusion of choice, where all your choices are manufactured.

There is no such thing as chaos. Only systems sufficiently complex as to appear to be chaotic.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Fuzz posted:

It's safe to ignore. It's mostly cosmetic and the occasional XP booster for a limited time. They have tied some of the new content into it but it's fairly cheap and ignoreable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Azubah posted:

It's safe to ignore. It's mostly cosmetic and the occasional XP booster for a limited time. They have tied some of the new content into it but it's fairly cheap and ignoreable.

Issue 7 shouldn't be considered ignorable by anybody. It was incredible story wise and is the first bit of setup for the next zone.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cheston posted:

Hey, there's a giveaway on Curse right now, gets you a key for a hoodie if you click the button.

This is also a trial key, so if lurkers are interested in trying the game out here is a good chance. Also any current members can also give out trial keys as well.

Fuzz posted:

There are some items on the cash shop that could be considered pay2win but really they are just pubbie traps and convenience items, I am talking specifically about the potions you can buy that can also be crafted in game. There are also exp boosts that either give you a flat amount of AP/SP or a timed exp received bonus, my opinion is that these are not very useful as the game shits exp at you after you leave Soloman Island but others have said they like the week boosts to knock out some of the grind.

The DLC you can buy are worth the investment as the stories they present are interesting, well written and do a great job advancing the story. In addition they also introduce a new currency that can be exchanged for welfare epic gear and the final mission in each DLC grants a blue signet bag which can either be sold unopened on the auction house for anywhere from 1 - 2 million pax depending on the current event, or opened for a lovely lottery bag change of getting a good signet. If you don't care about the signet bag and currency rewards the DLC can be skipped, you can just watch all the mission cutscenes on Youtube or Unfair.co.

:siren:After you complete 30 missions Funcom gives you a gift of 1200 cash shop points, which is enough to pick up one of the DLC issue packs.:siren:

With Issue 8 on the horizon I would suggest holding off on purchasing one of them, Issue 8 is supposedly the 'end game' Issue and the content of the DLC is going to have repeatable content for the new scenario system that is going to be introduced in Issue 8. Funcom has stated that there will be atleast one free scenario, but most will be sold as packs from the store.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

To the detractors of idly jumping around: For some reason, it got me into the second floor of Emma's cabin. Not even a "you shouldn't be here" sign :(

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I found this while jumping around in the bunker from Issue 7

So not all is lost.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston I only bad talk your idle jumping when you do it from side to side in front of the cities in Agartha. Idle jumping is how you find lore in like 90% of the game.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
If I were to want to get back into doing end game dungeons with goons (I was still learning my way through elites when I stopped playing) is lurking mumble still the way to go?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anniversary posted:

If I were to want to get back into doing end game dungeons with goons (I was still learning my way through elites when I stopped playing) is lurking mumble still the way to go?

Ehhhhhhh it's not the worst way to go. I still lurk there and so does Hugh.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

He managed to make it out in September this time!

Joel posted:

September, what a month! So much going on, so little time to absorb it before moving on to the next thing. Events, Missions, Tokyo, Halloween, Scenarios, Augments, Voice Recording sessions... I'll try to break this madness down into semi coherent chunks for your benefit.

The Gilded Rage

As most of you know, we ran the Gilded Rage event early in the month. During the event we went golden, theming our rewards around a double AP weekend and providing a new challenge in the form of Samsu Nasiru.

We served up helpings of solid gold destruction and you came in droves to take part, earning the Shem of Solar Metal and a plethora of golden rewards as well. We also offered a golden tuxedo as a part of our shop offering during the weekend to really let our players bring the bling to The Secret World.

Thanks to everybody who took part, it was a great success and in the wake of it we have triggered our next event, The Whispering Tide.

The Whispering Tide

The Whispering Tide is going on *right now* so once you've finished reading this, jump in and start doing your part!

Filth has invaded Agartha, and is slowly spreading along the branches from the Tokyo portal. An ancient emergency protocol (put in place for exactly this situation) has gone into effect and the Custodians of Agartha require upgrades to be able to cleanse the portals.

By providing pure materials, you can upgrade the Custodians, who will then open pathways into the depths of the filth infected areas of Agartha, where you will find yourself going toe to toe against the creatures which spawn from the filth.

This is a long term event, which will last right up until we release the Tokyo area of the game in Issue #9, so expect to see many more exciting phases as the tide of filth in Agartha rises!

Stories from Solomon Island

For Halloween this year we are re-enabling the Cat God event from last year, as well as adding an additional mission series called Stories from Solomon Island.

In these missions, you will be reading a series of scary stories from residents across the island - it will be up to you to investigate their legitimacy and complete the book of Urban Legends that the League of Monster Slayers had begun working on.

Did Tyler Freeborn really die because he failed to forward *that* email to 15 friends? What really happened to the Groundskeeper at Innsmouth Academy? Who is the Lantern Man, and what does he really want? Return to Solomon Island to become reacquainted with old friends and new terrors during Halloween this year.

Scenarios and Augments

Work on Issue #8 is going well. The brand new Scenarios, our random event driven simulations, are now in their testing and feedback phase internally. All of the technology is in place and we are now balancing for Solo, Duo and Group sized versions, as well as a Nightmare difficulty for all group sizes.

Some adjustments we have recently made:
The solo version has a soft cap, which means that you can bring a group with you. This provides a decent option for less geared players to be able to start running scenarios earlier, as long as they can bring a friend or two.
The duo version is proving to be the most popular during testing - the feeling of spreading out to defend areas and then band back together to face random bosses and challenges is truly unique (and less stressful) when playing with a good friend.
The nightmare solo version might prove to be the most difficult challenge in the game so for those of you who consider yourselves the best of the best, this might turn out to be the true testing ground. Imagine Master Planner, but without a group and with random elements thrown in. Not for the faint of heart!

Finally, the difficulty of the Scenario has a direct effect on the lighting within - normal difficulty takes place at mid afternoon, Nightmare difficulty takes place at midnight.

The Augment system is also in place, with all of the items and UI completed and implemented. I spoke about this last month, so I won't go into more detail other than to say that you can expect to see an article explaining Augments in depth on the website soon(tm).

Tokyo, Venice and Voice-Recording

Finally Tokyo is slowly becoming a fully fledged Secret World area and every day the city gains more missions, characters and life. I've recently been doing a bit of mission testing in the city and I have to say,* nothing* captures the essence of The Secret World like fighting a demonic entity trapped inside a pentagram on the roof of a building while surrounded by the Tokyo skyline. These are the moments, which for me, summarize the experience.

Of course, on the puzzle solving side, we have also been working on investigation missions. Practice your origami is all I am going to say about that.

In addition to mission making and testing, we've done a lot of voice recording recently, with incredibly talented actors coming into the studio to help us flesh out and expand the world.

Kari Wahlgren returns as the unflappable Kirsten Geary, Leigh-Allyn Baker as the mysterious Bong Cha and of course, a few other characters that you'll meet along the way. Jimmy Akinbola is coming in to reprise his role as Richard Sonnac and we recorded the impressive Stuart Organ in the role of Arturo Casiglione, your contact at the Council of Venice Headquarters.

You will visit Venice in Issue #8 and, resuming the Story Mission for the first time since launch, you will work together with Arturo to earn your Field Agent Certification. Issue #8 is coming soon, with Issue #9 to follow in the coming months.

Thank you all for listening, see you in The Secret World

Joel

New Halloween event sounds neat. And they're bringing back the Cat God. Joy.

And where are they doing this testing at? It's certainly not testlive.

Len fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 30, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Two letters from Joel in two days and both said a heap of poo poo. Go Team Go.

Sources:
Bi-Monthly Monthly Letter Here.

Your Questions Asked and Avoided Here.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

Two letters from Joel in two days and both said a heap of poo poo. Go Team Go.

Sources:
Bi-Monthly Monthly Letter Here.

Your Questions Asked and Avoided Here.

Well he tells everyone that the dragon puzzle raid is never going to happen because there aren't enough dragons for a raid group. That's something.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Len posted:

And where are they doing this testing at? It's certainly not testlive.

They have an internal QA server. Stuff goes there before it goes to Testlive. This has always been the case.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

macnbc posted:

They have an internal QA server. Stuff goes there before it goes to Testlive. This has always been the case.

Even patches go without testlive. The patch the pushed today and the one tomorrow not on testlive.

Joel is still mum on pricing for the scenarios too. I just want to know if I can go negative on them like I can with Issue packs.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
At first this game treated me the same as a guildwars lookalike. But now I am utterly addicted to the investigation missions. They're fun thinking exercises and I'm having a blast. I am godawful at game mechanics, particularly tanking, though. Is it worth it to suffer the normal dungeons to gear up, or should I just press to QL10 greens and follow my friends into nightmares when the time comes?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

motoh posted:

At first this game treated me the same as a guildwars lookalike. But now I am utterly addicted to the investigation missions. They're fun thinking exercises and I'm having a blast. I am godawful at game mechanics, particularly tanking, though. Is it worth it to suffer the normal dungeons to gear up, or should I just press to QL10 greens and follow my friends into nightmares when the time comes?

Press through the story then run the elites. If you have a nightmare geared group run you through you'll end up in full blue gear which will help you finish Gatekeeper and get you into nightmares.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

After figuring out the crafting system and kitting myself out in blue-greens I realize I have no idea how the character statistics work and how to exploit them.

I'm talking about Offensive/Defensive stats like Hit, Evade, Defence, etc. Are there some that I should try to put more or less points in because some are more or less useful? Or should I just try to put a bunch in everything in trying to create a well-rounded character?

I'm some sort of Tank/DPS hybrid with Blade & Blood if that matters.

Also, how do you contact goons in game? I've tried the /join awful chat a number of times, but no one seems to be on when I'm playing.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...

Kumo posted:

I'm talking about Offensive/Defensive stats like Hit, Evade, Defence, etc. Are there some that I should try to put more or less points in because some are more or less useful? Or should I just try to put a bunch in everything in trying to create a well-rounded character?

Well, given your specialty, your most important stats are probably Penetration, Block, and Hit, with some for Magical/Physical Protection. Many of your abilities in those weapon trees will proc off of Penetrations, after all - and as a tank, you do NOT want to receive a bad penetrating hit.

Block counters Penetration
Defense counters Hit

Glance/Evade tanks don't work all that well in late game, due to the spike damage you may receive - its usually better to be able to control the amount of damage you're getting so the healer isn't *too* stressed.

quote:

Also, how do you contact goons in game? I've tried the /join awful chat a number of times, but no one seems to be on when I'm playing.

Have you tried using the Mumble? A number of goons hang out there.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

alfheimwanderer posted:

Well, given your specialty, your most important stats are probably Penetration, Block, and Hit, with some for Magical/Physical Protection. Many of your abilities in those weapon trees will proc off of Penetrations, after all - and as a tank, you do NOT want to receive a bad penetrating hit.

Block counters Penetration
Defense counters Hit

Glance/Evade tanks don't work all that well in late game, due to the spike damage you may receive - its usually better to be able to control the amount of damage you're getting so the healer isn't *too* stressed.

Thank you.

quote:

Have you tried using the Mumble? A number of goons hang out there.

No mike/headset currently. Just finished building a gaming PC on spec and just got it running.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

Well he tells everyone that the dragon puzzle raid is never going to happen because there aren't enough dragons for a raid group. That's something.

We don't even have enough for a puzzle dungeon :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

We don't even have enough for a puzzle dungeon :(

But at least we could recruit from the general population. If dragons do that it puts you at what 9?

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Edit: Wrong thread.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Kumo posted:

After figuring out the crafting system and kitting myself out in blue-greens I realize I have no idea how the character statistics work and how to exploit them.

Try not to rely on the crafting system for making your gear. While it is an available option it just also happens to be the worst one. Following the story and completing missions in the given area was how a number of us kept our gear up to date during the level grind, and for that oddball piece of gear hit up the auction house in London and get something there cheap. When you hit the QL10 mark that's when you should start chain running the elite dungeons to fill out your gear to prepare for Nightmares.

My order of priority for stats is: (this is my opinion, others may have their own)
  • Hit - Sub QL10 you could put your entire budget into hit and still be golden. Mobs that are above your QL level have an increased defense chance so having a high hit can negate that level boundry. The magic number is still in the 650's for end game content and I did alright with 400 against equal rated mobs.
  • Penetration - Helps increase damage and negate blocks, once you have enough hit this is a good secondary stat to fluff up.
  • Defensive Stats - I don't use them when solo If anything I throw on a tank piece for a health buffer.
  • Crit Rating/Crit Damage - Meh, too much budget for too little gain.

Your stat budget is so low in anything sub QL 10 blue gear that it gets pointless to spread around your stats to more then two things. But don't go out of your way to reglyph gear, it gets replaced so often that the stat game really doesn't kick in until your building your custom gear from doing Nightmare dungeons.

Most of the regular goons lurk on mumble or steam when not in the game, which is more often then not currently. When Issue 8 hits goon interest should start up again with the new mindless grind for internet loots. You can do a search of the awful channel with a quick /chat list awful to see who is on in the channel. Don't worry too much about not having a mic while in mumble several of us talk via the text chatting.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

But at least we could recruit from the general population. If dragons do that it puts you at what 9?

Six or seven. That would require a raid group.

The best part of that director's letter is finding out that duo versions of scenarios exist, and that there's a Nightmare Solo version. Those are both of the things I really wanted.

Joel posted:

The brand new Scenarios, our random event driven simulations, are now in their testing and feedback phase internally. All of the technology is in place and we are now balancing for Solo, Duo and Group sized versions, as well as a Nightmare difficulty for all group sizes.

Some adjustments we have recently made:
-The solo version has a soft cap, which means that you can bring a group with you. This provides a decent option for less geared players to be able to start running scenarios earlier, as long as they can bring a friend or two.
-The duo version is proving to be the most popular during testing - the feeling of spreading out to defend areas and then band back together to face random bosses and challenges is truly unique (and less stressful) when playing with a good friend.
-The nightmare solo version might prove to be the most difficult challenge in the game so for those of you who consider yourselves the best of the best, this might turn out to be the true testing ground. Imagine Master Planner, but without a group and with random elements thrown in. Not for the faint of heart!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheston posted:

The best part of that director's letter is finding out that duo versions of scenarios exist, and that there's a Nightmare Solo version. Those are both of the things I really wanted.

Keep in mind these are being tested by Funcom people. Who are probably in full ql10.5 and having to use the duo version because it's too hard. I wouldn't trust their opinion on difficulty.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cheston posted:

I'm looking forward to finding out which ones are impossible to complete because they didn't test anything but scripts again.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
HAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Look's like the person who submitted that outfit that the pubbies loved so much was disqualified. So we have a second chance to get this into the game:

Go Vote.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

HAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Look's like the person who submitted that outfit that the pubbies loved so much was disqualified. So we have a second chance to get this into the game:

Go Vote.

That is loving brilliant. I wonder if I can submit my vote via testlive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Voted again. Can't believe "Ballistic Veil" is in second -- what a boring, uninspired piece of poo poo. At least the one that's winning right now (Psychiatric Patient) is a little more creative.

All the options for women's clothing still look boring to me.

• Locked thread