Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So far "Old" is that poo poo. Enjoying it immensely, looking forward to jamming this for the next month and having people near me question his vocal cadence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
So, does Paul White produce the first half of the record? Some strange and wonderful beats on this record. Bummer ODB didn't make the cut.

Also, Danny's range is pretty great here. I barely recognised him on The Return.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Old is cool. Danny's human after all, this album isn't perfect but its solid. I can live without a fair amount of songs. I feel like he's retouching topics with more honesty and less detachment. I think some songs and production is there to keep it from sounding like a hiphop album. But there is a hiphop album underneath the nintendo beats and pussy popping anthems. I really wish he would stick the songs that fit together together because there are some tracks that sound cohesive. If anything, Drake and Kendrick taught me that people still like cohesive albums.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I gently caress with Old heavy. First album in a long time I like just off of first listen. Haven't even wanted to delete/skip any tracks.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

temple posted:

Old is cool. Danny's human after all, this album isn't perfect but its solid. I can live without a fair amount of songs. I feel like he's retouching topics with more honesty and less detachment. I think some songs and production is there to keep it from sounding like a hiphop album. But there is a hiphop album underneath the nintendo beats and pussy popping anthems. I really wish he would stick the songs that fit together together because there are some tracks that sound cohesive. If anything, Drake and Kendrick taught me that people still like cohesive albums.

This mirrors my initial impression but I am someone who needs to listen to a record 20 or so times before my opinion fully forms, so maybe my feelings will change next week.

Weird they released it through streaming sites before it was available to purchase. I would have bought it on iTunes or vinyl without skipping a beat (got caught up on the hype, deemed it a classic without hearing the whole thing), but now Spotify has it and the album simply works as a selection of solid tracks, I am wondering if I will be happy to stream for the time being.

Besson fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 30, 2013

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Besson posted:

This mirrors my initial impression but I am someone who needs to listen to a record 20 or so times before my opinion fully forms, so maybe my feelings will change next week.

Weird to stream before purchase. I would have bought it on iTunes or vinyl without skipping a beat (got caught up on the hype, deemed it a classic without hearing the whole thing), but now Spotify has it and the album simply works as a selection of solid tracks, I am wondering if I will be happy to stream for the time being.

I'm just kinda pissed I have to wait another week to actually purchase this in CD form.

temple posted:

Like XXX he went with this split dichotomy. I would've loved an album focused solely on a more fleshed out Side A although its pretty fantastic the way it is now. Side B is really good but I'm not really into EDM/Trap type of beats and would rather hear more of Side A, or rather the wackiness that composed the first half of XXX. Really looking forward to playing Side B in my car though

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This Danny Brown. Yes. So far favorite track is The Return, Gibbs goes off.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Is anybody really digging Clean Up? Its one of the slower songs off Old but I really like the way his delivery rolls off from the intro.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Old.

:aaaaa:

This loving owns so hard

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Old is pretty fuckin awesome. I've listened all the way through a few times and it definitely feels like an album to me; maybe not cohesive in the traditional sense, but cohesive in that the songs all compliment each other. There is a similar duality to XXX, but in Old the songs sound more 'progressive' to me or something. I'm also the type of person who these types of production appeals to I guess, because the beats were awesome all the way through for me. My first listen was in the car and all I could think of was the album all through work. Solid follow-up to XXX, I think right now Old compares favorably (XXX was a classic to me). I'll need a few more listens though, definitely looking forward to purchasing this. Danny still hasn't lost poo poo, the majority of this album is a small step up in terms of structure, rapping ability, and I guess overall musical aesthetic, from everything he's done before.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Sharkopath posted:

Is anybody really digging Clean Up? Its one of the slower songs off Old but I really like the way his delivery rolls off from the intro.

Yes, it's my favorite track on the album so far.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Dreamchasers 3 came out yesterday too so it was a loving great day.

Funny how a new MMG album has come and gone and nobody cared. So much for MMG staying strong like people tried to say.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Old is good so far, I am new to Danny Brown but it sounds like he is rapping in a completely different voice than he used on a lot of XXX. I kept checking songs for features thinkin it's some other dude rapping but nope- DB just has mad range

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm just now listening to XXX because I never would have gotten around to it if I had listened to Old first due to the spergy way I acquire music, and it's great. Looking forward to finding time to listen to Old later this week.

Gladstone
Dec 13, 2010

thathonkey posted:

Old is good so far, I am new to Danny Brown but it sounds like he is rapping in a completely different voice than he used on a lot of XXX. I kept checking songs for features thinkin it's some other dude rapping but nope- DB just has mad range

His old mixtapes: Hot Soup, Detroit State of Mind 1 - 4 is mostly him rapping in his 'normal' voice. They're definitely worth checking out, along with The Hybrid if you haven't. The collab Black & Brown is a great EP too.

I really like Float On, imo a nice followup to 30.

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Clean Up is one of my favourites on the album too for sure. It reminds me of this track, which would've been a good fit for Old I think (but Clean Up has nicer production)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5w9F__6yc8

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Apparently Jon Connor signed to Aftermath. That's pretty cool for him, but he'll never get an album out so it sucks for us. :negative:

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

RBX posted:

Dreamchasers 3 came out yesterday too so it was a loving great day.

Funny how a new MMG album has come and gone and nobody cared. So much for MMG staying strong like people tried to say.

Its because the idiots only put on one gunplay song. PS if anyone gets a chance to see TNGHT live do it, goddamn amazing. Just Blaze is dope live too, as he can't get enough of blasting the airhorns and yelling JUSSSST BLAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZEEEEEEEEE

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

RBX posted:

It got 250k downloads off datpiff in one day, I don't think MMG is going away quite that fast.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I love BIGKIRT; i guess most europeans do, we never really had pimp C here.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Smokin & Drinkin is my jam. Good lookin out Danny Brown.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

alansmithee posted:

It got 250k downloads off datpiff in one day, I don't think MMG is going away quite that fast.

Self Made 3 was the album breh.

quote:

The album debuted at number four on the Billboard 200 chart, with first-week sales of 50,000 copies in the United States, the lowest first week sales of the three Self Made volumes

Meek might as well be a solo act at this point.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Harley C posted:

PS if anyone gets a chance to see TNGHT live do it, goddamn amazing. Just Blaze is dope live too, as he can't get enough of blasting the airhorns and yelling JUSSSST BLAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZEEEEEEEEE

Word up. Rustie is coming to the US soon too, if you're into that numbers crew/luckyme sound.

Old is most excellent. Definitely aoty for me. I've been real excited since I heard TNGHT drop Dope Song during Hard Summer, and it does not disappoint at all.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Old seems like it's going to be a great staring point for people looking to get into Danny Brown. He's so great

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I can't stop listening to "Torture". It's loving incredible.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
According to his AMA ODB isn't on the album because they couldn't clear the sample. Apparently it would have been the last song too.
Link:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ng9e7/whut_up_doe_my_name_is_danny_brown_my_new_album

edit: Danny did a pretty personal interview with complex, he tells his life story. from the interview:

quote:

My start in rap goes back to my mom reading me Dr. Seuss books. Green Eggs and Ham was probably my favorite. I’m the new Dr. Seuss; I want to take his spot one day.
http://www.complex.com/covers/danny-brown-interview-sky-high-2013-cover-story/

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 30, 2013

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Old seems like it's going to be a great staring point for people looking to get into Danny Brown. He's so great

Good to hear since this will be my first listen to him

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

i added ODB as the final song on the album cuz it's too good to leave off. great album

alansmithee posted:

yeah also isn't dreamchasers 2 like the most downloaded mixtape ever

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Old is the poo poo. 2013 hip hop supremacy. MNIMN up next.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Any other notable releases are slated between now and end of year besides Pusha T's album since Madgibbs got pushed to next year? Not that it matters; I need time to catch up on all this other amazing rap music.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

thathonkey posted:

Any other notable releases are slated between now and end of year besides Pusha T's album since Madgibbs got pushed to next year? Not that it matters; I need time to catch up on all this other amazing rap music.

Q has Oxymoron slated for this year, no? That's the other one I'm looking forward to.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

kill the architect is coming out next month but cage's last album sucked sooo. also despot SHOULD be releasing a debut album this year (obviously not going to happen)

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

thathonkey posted:

I read an interview where Gibbs said he was doing a Drama mixtape. I believe he said it was supposed to come out this year, but I could be wrong.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

oh yeah there's a new gibbs tape out in october

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

The Fresh Prince posted:

edit: Danny did a pretty personal interview with complex, he tells his life story. from the interview:

http://www.complex.com/covers/danny-brown-interview-sky-high-2013-cover-story/

Cool article

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I've listened/skimmed the Danny Brown album just due to not having much time to give it a proper listen. From what I heard though the first half of the album sounded a lot more in my wheelhouse than the second half. Uptempo Danny Brown really isn't for me but I've been known to not be the biggest fan of weird voice rappers (see: Chance and that one guy on ESGN)

I'll give it a full listen sometime but I'm still holding out for My Name is My Name to be AOTY.

OORRRRR the new Cam'ron mixtape that is FINALLY dropping tomorrow-

http://www.datpiff.com/Camron-Ghetto-Heaven-Vol-1-mixtape.494468.html

I can't remember if this was posted or not but for those who have/haven't played the new Grand theft Auto, Future has a great song on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0T_ZpkKGaY

7 RING SHRIMP fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 30, 2013

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
gently caress yeah new Cam'ron but still where's Killa Season 2?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

oh poo poo I keep forgetting about that new CamRon, really hope he doesnt delay again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Dope Song keeps weirding me out, it sounds like a garbled Final Fantasy soundtrack sample. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be from one of them.

• Locked thread