Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

wyoak posted:

I'm not sure who's whinier, Michael or Trevor. The last couple missions got seriously annoying.

Yeah, I was about ready to punch Trevor in the mouth by the end of the game. It worked at first, once he realized the truth about Brad and whatever, but I assumed that after Trevor saved Michael from the FIB/IAA/Merryweather ambush, he was ready to forgive him, but nope! Kept whining, right up to the end of the game. It came very close to putting a damper on the coolness of the final heist, but fortunately it was fun enough to be awesome regardless.

I liked Trevor better as a whimsical psychopath, the whole "I hope you're not planning to betray me again MICHAEL" schtick got pretty tired pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Thauros posted:

Any stocks that would be recommended to buy at the moment? Wish there was some other way to make decent money, but I'll take what I can get.

Whenever you are done playing the game today, make a quick save. Then invest everything in PIS on all characters and make a second quick save. Tomorrow if the stocks go up, great, use the save with the PIS stocks. If the stocks go down, use the other save. It's win-win.

Edit: vvvvvv That's why you leave some money in the stocks. Then you can just take out whatever you need to refill your cash on hand. You'll never run out.

A c E fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 30, 2013

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Maaaan so apparently there's a money cap, I was set to earn 4.2 billion per character when I just flipped my Pisswater stocks but it caps out at just over 2.1 billion. Now I can only buy 1050 tanks :saddowns:

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

FallinInTheBlak posted:

I've gotta say, on the whole GTA IV thing, that it is the first GTA I got bored of and didn't complete. In fact I don't think I even got 1/5th of the way through it.

I really enjoyed Vice City, III and San Andreas. I didn't play much of the spin offs other than Liberty City Stories (which I liked) .

It was Vice City Stories for me. Awful, boring protagonist, bad plot, and, to me anyway, the game became almost unplayable when you bought enough property and they sent wave after wave of assault rifle armed South Americans after you while you were just driving around. I even sort of enjoyed the property takeover aspect of the game previous to that. It was worse than when you pissed off the mafia in III.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DangerDummy! posted:

It was Vice City Stories for me. Awful, boring protagonist, bad plot, and, to me anyway, the game became almost unplayable when you bought enough property and they sent wave after wave of assault rifle armed South Americans after you while you were just driving around. I even sort of enjoyed the property takeover aspect of the game previous to that. It was worse than when you pissed off the mafia in III.

I quit Vice City Stories at the stealth driving mission. It was some terrible thing where you had to drive an old man suffering from a heart attack from point A to point B, and if you drove too crazy, he'd die. The problem was that there were enemy cars scattered around the city, and if they caught you, you'd end up in a chase which would inevitably kill the old man. Maybe there was some trick to it that made it easier than it looked, but I tried it 2 or 3 times and said "this sucks" and quit the game and never came back.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
This overall was the best GTA for me in all ways though, as little as I felt from story and characters it's a helluva 5/5 game. Great year for gaming, because the other two full price titles I bought were 5/5 titles as well.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

I quit Vice City Stories at the stealth driving mission. It was some terrible thing where you had to drive an old man suffering from a heart attack from point A to point B, and if you drove too crazy, he'd die. The problem was that there were enemy cars scattered around the city, and if they caught you, you'd end up in a chase which would inevitably kill the old man. Maybe there was some trick to it that made it easier than it looked, but I tried it 2 or 3 times and said "this sucks" and quit the game and never came back.

Ugh. I forgot that one. The ATV race to win the affections of the hillbilly chick was bad, too. And the heli assault of the hospital construction site. Wow, that was a poo poo game.

Any rumors as to what time online's gonna kick off? And is there any chance it won't get absolutely destroyed from word one?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't know about other folks who have finished the game, but (ending spoilers) killing Michael or Trevor (the latter in particular; I say this because it would feel like lobotomising the id in this particular incarnation of the Freudian triumvirate would be the most logical... I think the game even refers to it as "sensible", and the scene you get is actually suitably tragic and brutal) feel more like a "proper" endings to me. The alternative is of course gratifying and cathartic and it's what I'm playing post-game with, but it doesn't seem to really resolve the tension that had been building up for much of the game, especially towards the end.

I think I can agree about the improved progression in comparison to IV, but I could also agree that IV is more conclusive. Niko was a criminal psychopath with PTSD in intense denial about his very morality. In keeping with a crime fiction tradition he's driven by money (with intentionally little reasoning outside of a blanket way of life) and given very few chances of redemption. IV's endings teased this redemption, but ultimately made it futile because that's the world its characters occupy.

I like both games a heck of a lot however. :)

I did all the parachute jumps today (and - stranger Dom mission spoilers - laughed at the botched dam jump... I'm horrible). I really liked the checkpoint ones, especially the ones in the countryside. I love that this music (title of video might indicate mid-late game spoilers) accompanies each jump, it feels so suitable for just drifting through the air.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
What the hell did you buy Amanda?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fxYoOTbDuQ

They just kept coming and coming, even after I stepped out of the house.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Doing the Kifflom quests now, Jesus Christ is one of them tedious.

So wearing a robe for 10 days? Since i have no other side-missions or main missions left with Michael, i either better find something to with him or pass the time by sleeping in his bed 40 times.

I hope i get to go town on those Epsilon fuckers.

But seriously, missions like these should be cut, they don't add to anything, they're just tedious chores.
And yeah, i've spoiled myself enough that i know Epsilon will make me run around in a desert for an hour.

Doesn't make it easier that Michael changes clothes on his own everytime you change to another character, so you'll have to play as Michael the entire time, no way of passing the time doing stuff for the other characters.

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

Falukorv posted:

Doing the Kifflom quests now, Jesus Christ is one of them tedious.

So wearing a robe for 10 days? Since i have no other side-missions or main missions left with Michael, i either better find something to with him or pass the time by sleeping in his bed 40 times.

I hope i get to go town on those Epsilon fuckers.

But seriously, missions like these should be cut, they don't add to anything, they're just tedious chores.
And yeah, i've spoiled myself enough that i know Epsilon will make me run around in a desert for an hour.

Doesn't make it easier that Michael changes clothes on his own everytime you change to another character, so you'll have to play as Michael the entire time, no way of passing the time doing stuff for the other characters.

*cough* skip time *cough* save game *cough* *cough*

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Seriously. gently caress Niko and gently caress GTA4. It's not a bad game or anything, but it was a step in the wrong direction for the franchise. While GTAV is the best one yet

GTAV is a refreshing return to form for the series without it becoming a cartoon like Saints Row. The three protagonists really enabled them to do a lot with this one and prevented them from having to make the main character just an errand boy like previous games.

coyo7e posted:

RDR had free-aim and assisted-aim games, as well. Why does nobody mention that would be a potential possibility in GTA V online? Why would you expect them to do worse with GTA's online, after RDR?

Thats exactly what I expect them to do. The different playlists from the different aim modes and dlc maps ended up killing free aim in MP3, and in RDR the free aim lobby was a ghost town. It'd be better if free aim was the default, but the single player is based around lock on so that will never happen. Max Payne 3 should have never had lock on in it in the first place, but that's a whole differed story.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Ainsley McTree posted:

You could finish the whole mission by driving along the docks and staying off the roads avoiding every enemy patrol. There were some tough missions, but that really wasn't one of them. The enemy gang attacks from empire building were ridiculous but they stopped the moment you turned off the system and then turned it on again later.

IMO it was the best of the GTA3 era spin-offs for incorporating the best features of each, and was especially impressive for a portable game.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Pisswasser is now up to $12 on PS3 and just keeps rising. Apparently everyone has not pulled out yet.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Holy hell, this "parachute onto a moving truck" mission is such loving bullshit. The others at least had the decency to have some margin for error but not this one. Immediate mission failed for not landing perfectly on it is dumb as hell. How are you even meant to do this? It seems like either you fall too fast to land on it or you fall to slow to keep up with it. Am I missing something here?

I got this on the first try so I didn't have time to try different strategies but if it's like the Flight School training missions they don't seem to care if you divebomb onto the target and faceplant.

But the precision landing thing is definitely the best way otherwise, once you line up you can adjust your speed very precisely to glide into the landing.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Some nice infomation on GTA:O in the latest ep of GTA V O'clock. They had access to the Beta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EIMSVvJZl0

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Some nice infomation on GTA:O in the latest ep of GTA V O'clock. They had access to the Beta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EIMSVvJZl0
I think you mean the beeta

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

FallinInTheBlak posted:

*cough* skip time *cough* save game *cough* *cough*

Wait what? Is there another way of skipping time than advancing 6 hours by saving in your bed?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Falukorv posted:

Wait what? Is there another way of skipping time than advancing 6 hours by saving in your bed?

That's exactly what he's suggesting you do.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've played and finished almost every Rockstar open world game, but Vice City and 4 were way too frustrating and too boring respectively. I love this game - just wish I had more time to play rather than talk about playing on here while at work.

I was out of school and unemployed when San Andreas came out and did everything you can possibly do, but I can't imagine doing that this time with the lure of PS4 on its way.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

This, but also it's not exactly a reward as such as it's somewhat easily missable. Permanently so, too.

Are you kidding me? The mission starts with you loading fat bags of cash into the car they want you to drive, and then the VO is like "don't run away with that money now!". It practically begs you to escape with the cash, I am utterly baffled that people missed that cue.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Robawesome posted:

And as I said earlier, killing yourself repeatedly supposedly works and is much quicker. As others said as well, if you invest all your money in a stock (one with minimal movement ideally), you won't lose funds either.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Aurain posted:

And as I said earlier, killing yourself repeatedly supposedly works and is much quicker. As others said as well, if you invest all your money in a stock (one with minimal movement ideally), you won't lose funds either.
How is this the best/fastest choice? Does dying advance the clock by 48 hours or something? I generally just hit Save at my safehouse, then cancel before choosing a slot, and it it again a couple times, checking the price in between each.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
So is GTA Online going to begin at midnight, or is it starting sometime tomorrow? I enjoy desperately smashing buttons to get into failing online servers, and the ESO beta didn't scratch the itch enough.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Apparently there is a game type where 8 players are on dirt bikes and 8 have fighter jets, trying to stop them getting to a fixed point. Sounds great.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
So it is the first here in Oz. Is GTA Online available now? I'm at work.

Baron FU
Apr 3, 2009

Brinner posted:

So it is the first here in Oz. Is GTA Online available now? I'm at work.

No. And nobody but Rockstar knows when it will be turned on.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ahaha, holy poo poo, I just climbed on to one of those shacks with the orange ball on top and punched it off and it rolled down a mountain. Also Trevor has no idea how he got there and neither do I, because that's just where he ended up after huffing gas.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Broseph Brostar posted:

The three protagonists really enabled them to do a lot with this one and prevented them from having to make the main character just an errand boy like previous games.

This has been stated as a reason for the series' "return to form" for a while in these threads, but personally I struggle to see it. Rather, I don't just think that this does happen in the game, I think it's a deliberate running theme. I mean, (story pondering and ending spoilers) both the characters and the player really do want the FIB to give Michael, Franklin and Trevor their freedom and for Devin to give them their payout, but the audience will work out quite quickly that it isn't likely to happen on either front. The endings, for what I said about them above in comparison to IV's, allow the characters to see this for what just be the first proper time too. Even Option C kills off Devin without getting the money and Dave Norton merely leaves Michael with the message to "stay out of trouble" now that he's taken Haines' job. One wonders if it's even possible for a GTA protagonist to stay out of trouble...

Thinking back to the "pursuit of the almighty dollar" tagline that was touted before the game was released, I think they're being a little more... let's say snide, than it may initially seem.

I think all this works in the game's favour for the most part.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Furism posted:

That's, like, your opinion, man.

I find that the storytelling is lesser in GTA V precisely because there are three characters' stories woven together. I'd rather focus on Michael or Franklin than keep switching back and forth. And Trevor wouldn't work as the sole main character.

I think a degree the problem with the story is that the characters are too woven together in the story/missions -- I like considering GTAIV + TLaD + TBGT as one game since having the three characters all in the same city at the same time and ending up with their storylines interwoven but still separated was a great way of adding some life to the city and also give the player a chance to have three distinctly different experiences as one game, both in gameplay, atmosphere, and story delivery. Having the three characters in GTAV basically doing the exact same thing since they're almost always involved in whatever your current mission or situation is anyway does sap some of that depth to the city and story setting away.

But I think the other big problem with the story is it has weird pacing and these varying scopes, like one minute you're just doing Michael's family stuff and the next you're involved in corrupt FBI agents and a private army is chasing you and then one or two missions for another character that was just kind of there but now he's back but then you're right back to big time FBI missions and then you do one or two Michael family missions and then right back to private armies and then you have to deal with the past an d then right back to private army and FBI stuff. It just gets kind of exhausting after awhile and the stakes end up so big and crazy that it gets kind of hard to find exciting.

I feel like they did kind of miss an opportunity to have each character go their own separate ways but have a few missions and heists that connect them together, and to some degree the game has those (Franklin still has a few Lamar and Ballas missions, Michael still has some family stuff, Trevor goes back and kills Floyd and whatever) but they're so far and few in between and then you're right back to the big main driving part of the plot that takes over and takes away from the character moments.

On the other hand I did like the story and the characters were still pretty cool in their own right and they are still three distincitly different characters with their own characteristics, so it's not all complaining from me, just wish it was more like the GTAIV+DLC saga.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Apparently there is a game type where 8 players are on dirt bikes and 8 have fighter jets, trying to stop them getting to a fixed point. Sounds great.

They also said there was an ATV race that had power ups (speed boost, rockets, etc) like Mario Kart.

I'm so excited for Online to be released that I keep forgetting it's going to be unplayable for days because Rockstar servers melted.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Are we going to have a seperate GTA:O thread? This one is hard to keep up with as it is...

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Robawesome posted:

Yeah but i wrote it already in my original post so i thought he meant something else beyond that.

Still, that means i have to do it 40 times.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just when I thought properties couldn't get any worse, now they're sending those great "Oh well, I guess we'll just have to do X because you hosed up" texts without the actual missions for them even popping up. I just got one out of the blue when switching to a character I'd played on about 15 minutes earlier and there were no missions for him.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Are we going to have a seperate GTA:O thread? This one is hard to keep up with as it is...

If that happens, I suggest a PS3 thread and a 360 thread.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Chard posted:

Are you kidding me? The mission starts with you loading fat bags of cash into the car they want you to drive, and then the VO is like "don't run away with that money now!". It practically begs you to escape with the cash, I am utterly baffled that people missed that cue.

I got my tractor and I love my tractor, so bite me. :colbert: Kifflom!

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I spent like 350k buying and tuning a car and it is loving nowhere to be found now. It is not at impound or in any of the garages I own. This is so loving annoying considering you can't seem to get rid of the lovely cars you start the game with even though I tried everything from blowing them up to leaving them in the middle of nowhere.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

keyframe posted:

I spent like 350k buying and tuning a car and it is loving nowhere to be found now. It is not at impound or in any of the garages I own. This is so loving annoying considering you can't seem to get rid of the lovely cars you start the game with even though I tried everything from blowing them up to leaving them in the middle of nowhere.

I think the best solution now is to mod cars with Franklin for free and hand those cars to your other characters.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

keyframe posted:

By chance, did you put your car in a garage then do a mission? Rockstar said there was an issue with saved cars (in garages) being deleted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

El Hefe posted:

I think the best solution now is to mod cars with Franklin for free and hand those cars to your other characters.

Yeah, it was fun driving Franklin out to that Customs shop, then switching to Trevor to drive his truck over, then having Franklin get in and pimp it out while Trevor stood next to it, uselessly tugging at the door and hurling expletives at Franklin while he's being given free bulletproof tires.

• Locked thread