Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Randarkman posted:

What's that first one supposed to be? Immigrants getting into Austria through Greece and living the high life on government handouts?

Something like that. The red text translates to: "Our money for our people!"

Emden posted:

This owns. As it turns out people don't want to live with others who aren't like them nor do they want cheap labor entering their country. WHO KNEW???? (not the left)

gently caress off you goddamn Nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Randarkman posted:

What's that first one supposed to be? Immigrants getting into Austria through Greece and living the high life on government handouts?
"Our money for our own."

The second one is "Vienna cannot become Istanbul" and "He says what Vienna thinks."

:barf:

EDIT: what the hell is wrong with Istanbul?

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 30, 2013

Emden
Oct 5, 2012

by angerbeet

Captain_Maclaine posted:

gently caress off you goddamn Nazi.

Go tell 1/5th of Austria to gently caress off, eh? :smug:

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
Skin colour and culture are not serious obstacles to business partnerships, friendships, romance and peaceful co-existence, why do you think they are, what loving planet are you from. :psyduck:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

In all frankness, Austria really got off easy at the end of the war, particularly with the unasked-for and undeserved favor of being treated as Hitler's first victim, rather than as his first collaborator. Austrians in the 30s were by and large thrilled with the Anschluss (they'd have done it in 1918 if Versailles hadn't forbidden it) and Nazification.
They still kind of are, honestly- the way Germany views its Nazi past and the way Austria does is night and day. Don't forget how the Austrian public didn't give a poo poo about Kurt Waldheim's Nazi sympathies. Austria needed de-Nazification just as much as Germany did.

QUILT_MONSTER_420 posted:

Worse, the Christian center-right ÖVP says it is keeping the option open to form a government with the "Freedom Party" and the Euroskeptic flat-tax "reform" party of billionaire Frank Stronach. It may be a bluff but its something to worry about because the FPÖ is shall we say, highly unpleasant.
They should look to Hungary to see how a mainstream right-wing political party allying with actual fascists is a terrible loving idea. Greece is lucky that it's in a position to do something about Golden Dawn- Viktor Orban doesn't want to do anything to Jobbik because it could cost him votes in the next election, and combined with the awful new constitution, you have the country in Europe that is closest to fascism.

Emden posted:

Go tell 1/5th of Austria to gently caress off, eh? :smug:
I already outlined why Austria is horrible with regards to Nazis, so I'll gladly do this to them as well as to you.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 30, 2013

Emden
Oct 5, 2012

by angerbeet

weavernaut posted:

Skin colour and culture are not serious obstacles to business partnerships, friendships, romance and peaceful co-existence, why do you think they are, what loving planet are you from. :psyduck:

Hold up, hold up. Where are you from? I need context so that I can bash you over the head with it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Enjoy posted:

That they were could not "roam the streets with impunity" and were not "allowed to openly operate". They were murdered.

So this is you right here admitting that you know nothing of Weimar Germany. Because the KPD and Rotfrontkämpferbund continued to operate right up until Hitler himself finally got around to banning them.

Essentially, you're arguing on the basis that Germany skipped directly from 1919 to 1933.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 30, 2013

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

I'm a Russian immigrant, of Slavic/Tatar descent, living in Germany, previously having lived in Ireland for a decade. I'm also converting to Judaism, but I'm not ethnically Jewish by descent (as far as I know, one side of the family's history is forever lost, since nobody talked about anything and then died).

You're still Nazi scum.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Emden posted:

Hold up, hold up. Where are you from? I need context so that I can bash you over the head with it.

Can you explain why facism and incompetence go together so well? Is it because of the overconfidence that Facism instills in its followers due to the unscientific gibberish they make up to justify their nutty racial theories, which leads to thinks like them getting stomped over and over again by Russians outsmarting them on the battlefield using maskirovka?

I mean, obviously the Russians were great at it, but the Nazis fell for it over and over and over and over again, so I'm assuming there's something systemic and I'm guessing it's that the racist idiots couldn't bring themselves to admit that those dirty Slavs were actually a hell of a lot smarter than them when it came to adopting to the new era of warfare, while the Nazis had a ton of fuckups who had licked the right jackboots in positions they never should have been.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It has (used to?) a much better nightlife than Vienna? Maybe he isn't a fan of traffic?

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Istanbul is full of SCARY BROWN PEOPLE, guys. Keep up. :rolleyes:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

weavernaut posted:

Istanbul is full of SCARY BROWN PEOPLE, guys. Keep up. :rolleyes:

Probably chock full of Roman ghosts, too.

Emden
Oct 5, 2012

by angerbeet

weavernaut posted:

I'm a Russian immigrant, of Slavic/Tatar descent, living in Germany, previously having lived in Ireland for a decade. I'm also converting to Judaism, but I'm not ethnically Jewish by descent (as far as I know, one side of the family's history is forever lost, since nobody talked about anything and then died).

You're still Nazi scum.

Okay so you've lived in fairly white countries. Russia, Germany, Ireland. All good places. So you've probably never had to interact with a non-white person before. So let's talk about culture.

weavernaut posted:

culture [is] not serious obstacles to business partnerships, friendships, romance and peaceful co-existence

Russia: conflict between Soviets and minority groups, conflict with Muslims, Chechens

Ireland: conflicts between catholics and protestants

Germany: catholics/protestants, Jews

There are multiple groups in societies and one has to dominant. It doesn't have to be about skin color; it can be as simple as a slight difference in religion. I live in the United States, a country famous for institutionalized racism and genocide. We essentially killed all the natives that lived here. We literally had African slaves for centuries and we still do in some ways. Our cities are segregated on racial lines and there is a crazy undercurrent of racial strife in everything that happens here.

Culture and race matter in everything. In fact those are the most important things.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Emden posted:

Okay so you've lived in fairly white countries. Russia, Germany, Ireland. All good places. So you've probably never had to interact with a non-white person before. So let's talk about culture.

Russia: conflict between Soviets and minority groups, conflict with Muslims, Chechens

Ireland: conflicts between catholics and protestants

Germany: catholics/protestants, Jews

There are multiple groups in societies and one has to dominant. It doesn't have to be about skin color; it can be as simple as a slight difference in religion. I live in the United States, a country famous for institutionalized racism and genocide. We essentially killed all the natives that lived here. We literally had African slaves for centuries and we still do in some ways. Our cities are segregated on racial lines and there is a crazy undercurrent of racial strife in everything that happens here.

Culture and race matter in everything. In fact those are the most important things.

Basically, killing the off the Native American tribes and slavery was understandable because one "group" has to be dominate. Also culture and race don't matter much at all in reality, race is an artificial creation and culture many times is also merely invented.

Also, that is one drat accurate custom title.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Emden posted:

Dude, I just said I was part Tatar. I'm white, but my grandfather and his family aren't. They're also about as Muslim as my other set of grandparents are Orthodox Christian, which is to say kind of, if something is really wrong or there's a funeral/wake.

A good portion of people in school that I hung out with were other immigrant children (mostly from the Philippines, but also Pakistan, India and various parts of the Middle East). My partner's younger brother was adopted from India, as were a couple of his cousins.

Ireland actually had a fairly good amount of immigrants when I was still in middle and high school equivalents. My partner and I currently live in a college town in an area heavy on Turkish and FSU immigrants. Where the gently caress did you get the assumption I've only ever interacted with white people?

If your solution to intolerance is segregation, you're a moron. Segregation doesn't increase tolerance. Also, apparently you know poo poo-all about European demographics.

weavernaut fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 30, 2013

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

weavernaut posted:

Dude, I just said I was part Tatar. I'm white, but my grandfather and his family aren't. They're also about as Muslim as my other set of grandparents are Orthodox Christian, which is to say kind of, if something is really wrong or there's a funeral/wake.

A good portion of people in school that I hung out with were other immigrant children (mostly from the Philippines, but also Pakistan, India and various parts of the Middle East). My partner's younger brother was adopted from India, as were a couple of his cousins.

Ireland actually had a fairly good amount of immigrants when I was still in middle and high school equivalents. My partner and I currently live in a college town in an area heavy on Turkish and FSU immigrants. Where the gently caress did you get the assumption I've only ever interacted with white people?

If your solution to intolerance is segregation, you're a moron. Segregation doesn't increase tolerance. Also, apparently you know poo poo-all about European demographics.

He's a Nazi, he knows poo poo-all about everything dude.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Without talking about what 'ought' to be, the persistence of racism, bigotry, and religious violence in societies across the globe seems like a fairly strong demonstration that cultural differences frequently are an impediment to peaceful coexistence. It can be accomplished, but it ain't easy.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

He's a Nazi, he knows poo poo-all about everything dude.

How can he not loving know about the large Middle Eastern immigrant presence in the EU, though? Jesus gently caress, aren't all right wingers pointing to Europe as being taken over Islamofascism? :psyduck: Why does he think Russia is entirely white, did he miss the huge chunk of Russia that's in Asia? Has he not ever looked at a map?

Strudel Man posted:

Without talking about what 'ought' to be, the persistence of racism, bigotry, and religious violence in societies across the globe seems like a fairly strong demonstration that cultural differences frequently are an impediment to peaceful coexistence. It can be accomplished, but it ain't easy.

And yet NYC hasn't imploded.

(Humans, unfortunately, tend toward an us-vs-them mentality, but as seen the world over, that mentality is harmful and usually leads to bad things. So our goal should be to find ways to overcome such mindsets and work towards peaceful coexisting with others without stomping out anyone's culture.)

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Strudel Man posted:

The solution, however, is not and cannot be to gas them/bomb them/build fuckoff huge walls between you and them/stop their boats (not as a response to you specifically, but as a general rule).

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

weavernaut posted:

How can he not loving know about the large Middle Eastern immigrant presence in the EU, though? Jesus gently caress, aren't all right wingers pointing to Europe as being taken over Islamofascism? :psyduck: Why does he think Russia is entirely white, did he miss the huge chunk of Russia that's in Asia? Has he not ever looked at a map?

What part of "he's a dumb Nazi" don't you understand?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

weavernaut posted:

(Humans, unfortunately, tend toward an us-vs-them mentality, but as seen the world over, that mentality is harmful and usually leads to bad things. So our goal should be to find ways to overcome such mindsets and work towards peaceful coexisting with others without stomping out anyone's culture.)
Oh, indeed. 'Culture is not a serious obstacle to peaceful coexistence' just seems a wee bit optimistic, as it's essentially the obstacle to peaceful coexistence.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

I've honestly never encountered anyone both so ignorant and so certain that they were in the right. Not even online.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

weavernaut posted:

It's not a solution, it's just a way to manage the fundamentally unchangable nature of the human creature. Like keeping lab rats in separate cages so they don't claw and bite each other to death.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

THC posted:

It's not a solution, it's just a way to manage the fundamentally unchangable nature of the human creature. Like keeping lab rats in separate cages so they don't claw and bite each other to death.

This presumes cultural/racial differences are a fundamentally unchangeable aspect of human nature, and that people are unthinking, instinct-driven animals like rats in a cage. Both of which are lazy :biotruths: presumptions at absolute best, and much more frequently thin wallpaper lain over scientific racism. Not that I'm accusing you personally of either, in the instance where you were trying to explain why someone might make that argument.

Emden
Oct 5, 2012

by angerbeet

weavernaut posted:

Where the gently caress did you get the assumption I've only ever interacted with white people?

Because you've lived in overwhelmingly white countries? It's not hard to make this leap of logic, come on.

weavernaut posted:

The point of segregation is... segregation. If we separate groups then there cannot be conflict in the first place. Autonomy for different groups will make everyone happy.

weavernaut posted:

I actually mentioned it in my post??? I never said "entirely white"? Instead of having a panic attack read my posts. Thanks.

weavernaut posted:

Are you sure?

(Harlem race riots, 1964)

Also it's funny how you were just saying that mentality doesn't exist, but now you say it is real. So which is it? And why do you think it's something that we choose to do? It's biology, mate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This presumes cultural/racial differences are a fundamentally unchangeable aspect of human nature, and that people are unthinking, instinct-driven animals like rats in a cage. Both of which are lazy :biotruths: presumptions at absolute best, and much more frequently thin wallpaper lain over scientific racism.
That's the joke.

Emden posted:

It's biology, mate.
:haw:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I guess he plays to the old rivalry with the Ottoman Turks, when their armies nearly conquered Vienna and besieged the city several times? Being German I don't know if the old Habsburg-Ottoman enmity is still relevant or remembered in Austria. Or it is just a general revulsion to a majority Islamic city.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Emden posted:

The point of segregation is... segregation. If we separate groups then there cannot be conflict in the first place. Autonomy for different groups will make everyone happy.

So basically once every group of differing phenotypes gets a homeland everyone lives happily ever after? What if, we just taught/convinced everyone not hate another person for reasons completely beyond their control? If anything that's far more plausible than your segregation will make everyone happy idea.

quote:

It's biology, mate.

[Citation needed]

QUILT_MONSTER_420
Aug 22, 2013
nm

QUILT_MONSTER_420 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 28, 2013

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Install Windows posted:

So this is you right here admitting that you know nothing of Weimar Germany. Because the KPD and Rotfrontkämpferbund continued to operate right up until Hitler himself finally got around to banning them.

Essentially, you're arguing on the basis that Germany skipped directly from 1919 to 1933.

The repression of the genuine left continued throughout the Weimar period.

"But what mattered about the behaviour of the judges was the message it sent to the public, a message bolstered by numerous prosecutions of pacifists, Communists and other people on the left for treason throughout the Weimar years. According to Gumbel, while only 32 people had been condemned for treason in the last three peacetime decades of the Bismarckian Reich, over 10,000 warrants were issued for treason in the four - also relatively peaceful - years from the beginning of 1924 to the end of 1927, resulting in 1,071 convictions."

Additionally, the Fascist murderers of the leaders of the Spartacus league were forgiven by the SPD in 1922 ("Law for the Protection of the Republic").

The above is for the benefit of other readers. I'm guessing you're just trolling me so I'm ignoring you now.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Well everyone knows that separate but equal worked out. Also, racism isn't some primordial thing that just is, it was created, the modern concept of race is very different than anything early the medieval into early modern period. If anything it is a outgrowth of slavery and colonialism, both largely economic processes. The solution to racism is through economics.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Emden posted:

Because you've lived in overwhelmingly white countries? It's not hard to make this leap of logic, come on.

What makes Ireland white? 120 years ago there was open debate as to whether the Irish and Spanish could even be considered white. Should Irish and Spanish immigrants to america have been committed to ghettos and kept there?

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
Seems to ME like the problem is you and your kind, whitey. By your kind, I mean Nazis. Perhaps you should get out?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Also, racism isn't some primordial thing that just is, it was created, the modern concept of race is very different than anything early the medieval into early modern period. If anything it is a outgrowth of slavery and colonialism, both largely economic processes. The solution to racism is through economics.
This is certainly a thing that people say, but different tribes were murdering each other at the dawn of humanity. While the specific character of modern racism may well be a product of our history, it's utopian to imagine that the underlying tensions can easily be swept away.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Emanuel Collective posted:

What makes Ireland white? 120 years ago there was open debate as to whether the Irish and Spanish could even be considered white. Should Irish and Spanish immigrants to america have been committed to ghettos and kept there?

Hell, ditto Slavs. And Italians. And Greeks. I can go on.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Enjoy posted:

The repression of the genuine left continued throughout the Weimar period.

"But what mattered about the behaviour of the judges was the message it sent to the public, a message bolstered by numerous prosecutions of pacifists, Communists and other people on the left for treason throughout the Weimar years. According to Gumbel, while only 32 people had been condemned for treason in the last three peacetime decades of the Bismarckian Reich, over 10,000 warrants were issued for treason in the four - also relatively peaceful - years from the beginning of 1924 to the end of 1927, resulting in 1,071 convictions."

Additionally, the Fascist murderers of the leaders of the Spartacus league were forgiven by the SPD in 1922 ("Law for the Protection of the Republic").

The above is for the benefit of other readers. I'm guessing you're just trolling me so I'm ignoring you now.

I'm not trolling you, I'm just pointing out that the Communists didn't suddenly stop existing when some of the leaders were killed, and in fact remained a viable and quite numerous group throughout the Weimar period. It is straight up counterfactual to act like they weren't.

And of course you're pulling the "if you weren't KPD you weren't a REAL leftist card" which really should have died decades ago, since it's the dolchstoßlegende of the ineffectual modern day "leftist".

QUILT_MONSTER_420
Aug 22, 2013
nm

QUILT_MONSTER_420 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 28, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Strudel Man posted:

This is certainly a thing that people say, but different tribes were murdering each other at the dawn of humanity. While the specific character of modern racism may well be a product of our history, it's utopian to imagine that the underlying tensions can easily be swept away.

The fact that Northumbrians no longer feel emnity towards Mercians shows that these tribal conflicts are not inherent, they can and have stopped being an issue. Heck the French and the English had been at war on and off for over a thousand years but Wilhelm II's fuckups over the space of a few years made them into solid allies to the present day.

Groups that previously had enmity learning to live together isn't just something people say, it is a historical fact over and over again.

Also given the fascists ITT are claiming to be talking about "facts":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTfbBvIEbfA&t=1112s

EDIT: Also, if different cultures lead to conflict why have the two largest conflicts in human history been fought between Anglo-Saxon empires?

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 30, 2013

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Emden posted:

Are you sure?

(Harlem race riots, 1964)

Are you American? Do you not understand why Harlem (and most other major American cities) saw race riots over the past century? Because they were (and mostly still are) totally segregated. Segregation led to the violence you're showing us. Am I missing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Emanuel Collective posted:

Are you American? Do you not understand why Harlem (and most other major American cities) saw race riots over the past century? Because they were (and mostly still are) totally segregated. Segregation led to the violence you're showing us. Am I missing something?

You're missing that Emden is, quite literally, a loving nazi.

Install Windows posted:

I'm not trolling you, I'm just pointing out that the Communists didn't suddenly stop existing when some of the leaders were killed, and in fact remained a viable and quite numerous group throughout the Weimar period. It is straight up counterfactual to act like they weren't.

The Rotfrontkämpferbund was banned in 1929, FYI. Your entire line of argument so far has been built on some dumb equivalency argument between the left and the fash in Weimar Germany, and that leftist groups like the RFB could "roam with impunity". All this is more or less ahistorical horseshit that completely glosses over the overt repression against leftist groups in Weimar Germany by both government action and non-government organizations, and is generally a kinda assholish kind of victim blaming.

Install Windows posted:

And of course you're pulling the "if you weren't KPD you weren't a REAL leftist card" which really should have died decades ago, since it's the dolchstoßlegende of the ineffectual modern day "leftist".

It's a bit rich to talk about some dolchstoßlegende among the people who were, quite literally, stabbed straight in the back. Could we just stop the victim blaming here, yes?

• Locked thread