Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I put my username on the "oath complete" group shot, do I need them in every single picture of the models? My reading comprehension is at an all-time low with this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Complete!

Didn't really have scope to do the Jurnal this month, but would like to claim Box Art;

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Daaamn, end of the month... hurrah, looking forward to getting an October oath on the go :)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Oath Complete because who needs sleep

Complete with red and green port and starboard front and back, for that tricky night time navigation

Claiming Detectuv's Jurnal with this Yme-Loc crraftworld rune

This is my conversion, the best photo I can get because horrible Chinese ebayers mean my battery clip for internal lighting still hasn't arrived a month later, that's my half avenger half guardian crew chief you can almost see

I'm too tired to remember if I should be claiming anything else

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

counterspin posted:

I think I may have gotten cut off by a new page. How a bout it Leperflesh, am I good?

There's an easy way to check! Yes, I credited your post.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I put my username on the "oath complete" group shot, do I need them in every single picture of the models? My reading comprehension is at an all-time low with this thread.

It's not strictly required. I think when Krushgroove makes the slideshow for the judges, he starts your subset with one with your username and then follows it with any that don't have it. Adding your username to all the photos probably makes things a little easier for him and/or for the judges, though, so it doesn't hurt.

NTRabbit posted:

Oath Complete because who needs sleep

This is my conversion, the best photo I can get because horrible Chinese ebayers mean my battery clip for internal lighting still hasn't arrived a month later, that's my half avenger half guardian crew chief you can almost see

I'm too tired to remember if I should be claiming anything else

Your glow-in-the-dark thing is really cool, but I definitely don't have a valid before/after set of photos of your conversion here. For Before I need to see the specific model (or parts) before it's converted, and then for "after" I need to see the model after the conversion work is done (and this can be before or after you've painted it, although before you paint it may be easier for me to see the exact modifications you've made). In this case, I have your oath photo (a big pile of plastic) and then this glow in the dark patchwork of glowy bits. I can't really even guess at what conversion work you've done.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Oath complete!

Trying out a color scheme on some menoth guys. Had a lot of fun with these.

Jurnal is the writing on the choirboy's scroll.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
OK, I edited my name into my pics. Any further things I missed, I give up and am willing to face the wrath of the judges!

Germ
May 7, 2013

Arlaharen posted:

Oath complete!

Trying out a color scheme on some menoth guys. Had a lot of fun with these.

Wow! Looks great. I'd say that color scheme trial was a success. I love that with the red and blue there is a lot of color in there, but it's not too busy or bright. Everything is subdued. Nice, clean painting, too! Great color choices.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dr. Clockwork posted:

OK, I edited my name into my pics. Any further things I missed, I give up and am willing to face the wrath of the judges!

It's OK, I know there's a lot of stuff that can throw you off or put people off, I know it took me a while to do my first oath in the last thread. Like Leperflesh said, putting your name in your 'main' or first picture helps me choose that as the first picture in your set of photos that go into the slideshow. Then I pick a selection of photos (if you have a ton of follow-up photos) or use your close-up photos to go into the slideshow. Having your name in at least one picture helps my sanity (so I don't have to edit 400+ photos) and helps the judges when picking a winner. Giving a point for the name is just incentive and for people going for a grand prize it's pretty much required because of that point :)

That said, here's my oath! Which I failed. I finished up my Blood Bowl team and am super proud of them...but then I realized I didn't actually paint the 3 metal figures I have. I thought they might be star players but never got around to researching them, so oh well.

I still want to share the pics, so there goes:

(The Jurnal is/would have been the striping on the shoulder pieces and numbers on the back)

And yeah, drat, there's tons of great pictures coming through! We're less than 2 hours away from this month's deadline, so let's have 'em!

(October's theme and Detecktuv's Jurnal will be posted tomorrow morning, UK time, so in about 9-10 hours).

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 30, 2013

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Journal for the month is Raptors symbol on all the Land Raiders:

As well as a detail on the interior of Saladin's cloak:

I found a fragment of Ayubbid textiles that had a pattern I liked, but it didn't seem like a good fit for the type of surface I'm painting. I found another (roughly contemporaneous) piece that had a similar design, and used that for inspiration. Overall I'm pretty happy with Saladin, especially how bright his armor is.

Ninja Edit: The base is in the first photo, is that enough to get my the based points? I realized just now that I don't actually have a good shot of the top of it.

Real Edit: Picture atop a base!

Signal fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 30, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Signal posted:

Ninja Edit: The base is in the first photo, is that enough to get my the based points? I realized just now that I don't actually have a good shot of the top of it.

We had this come up earlier in the thread, unfortunately no it can't count for basing, sorry.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

You did a really good job on that patterning.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Iris of Ether posted:

You did a really good job on that patterning.

Thanks! It took a fair amount of work, but it was pretty satisfying.

krushgroove posted:

We had this come up earlier in the thread, unfortunately no it can't count for basing, sorry.

Yeah, that was me, I've been painting up extra bases for Sedition Wars to place with my Infinity models. I just realized that I hadn't shown a good picture with him atop the base, other than where it's visible in my first oath complete pic. Here's another picture of him atop the separate base I painted this month:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

God loving drat that's good.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Signal posted:

Thanks! It took a fair amount of work, but it was pretty satisfying.

Yeah, that was me, I've been painting up extra bases for Sedition Wars to place with my Infinity models. I just realized that I hadn't shown a good picture with him atop the base, other than where it's visible in my first oath complete pic. Here's another picture of him atop the separate base I painted this month:

Ah right! Yeah well if you painted that during the month then you're good for the point. Edit that pic in to your Oath Complete post.

...and yeah I try not to say anything about anyone's entry but drat! That is amazing. There's some really, really good stuff this month, and yours is right up there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, we explicitly ruled in June, for Signal, that a clear base on top of a painted base is acceptable for basing points. I made a note in the June spreadsheet on the cell for Signal's basing point, just so we'd remember.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
:siren: OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Jurnal is the attempt at a slannesh symbol on his back, I haven't done freehand in a long time and it was a lot harder than I remembered it being hahaha.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

thespaceinvader posted:

God loving drat that's good.

krushgroove posted:

...and yeah I try not to say anything about anyone's entry but drat! That is amazing. There's some really, really good stuff this month, and yours is right up there.

Thanks guys. This Oath thread has been great motivation to try and step up my painting. With some of the amazing stuff that shows up in here, it's easy to see how much room I have left to improve.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Oath Complete! 3x Ork Deffkoptas

Jurnal is the missile decorations

I really didn't enjoy painting these as much as I thought I would. It just didn't seem to be working for me. Until I got to the final bits of highlighting, and did the reflections in the goggles, and suddenly it all came together when I saw their big toothy grins smiling back at me :)
So many amazing entries this month. Everyone should be proud!

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010
:radcat: Oath Complete! :radcat:

Jurnal for freehand is the banner and the symbol on the shoulder-pad. - Disregard, I'll do Flag Flying another month.

For reference, the image of Horus is based on this painting by John Blanche;

p.s, was anyone at UK Games Day this Sunday gone? I had a lot of fun working customer service!

Namenlos fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 1, 2013

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

One High Elf Skycutter-

The Jurnal Entry is the woodgrain on the body of the boat- it's not on the model.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete

Jurnal Entry is the checker patterns on the sergeant's gun and on some of the shoulder pads.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Namenlos posted:

p.s, was anyone at UK Games Day this Sunday gone? I had a lot of fun working customer service!

I think quite a lot of hamgoons were. Probably should have organised a thing.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Namenlos posted:

Goddamn. Goddamn.

This has been one pro-as-gently caress month.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Namenlos posted:

Jurnal for freehand is the banner and the symbol on the shoulder-pad. I forget how it was decided regarding Fly Your Flag so if I can be judged for freehand based on the banner and still count for the Flag Flying, then that would be rad.

I also forget! I credited you, and also Mmtheblue, but Krushgroove if you could remind me what the ruling was, I'd appreciate it.

Derlix
Dec 9, 2005
Smug, Pantsless Bastard
Oaf Complete!

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Jurnal Entry: Design on the shield was my freehand try.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Namenlos posted:

Jurnal for freehand is the banner and the symbol on the shoulder-pad. I forget how it was decided regarding Fly Your Flag so if I can be judged for freehand based on the banner and still count for the Flag Flying, then that would be rad.

Leperflesh posted:

Krushgroove if you could remind me what the ruling was, I'd appreciate it.

Yes this was cleared up and explained here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3547161&pagenumber=66&perpage=40#post419466749

(Leperflesh correctly interpreting what I was saying - bolding is mine)

Leperflesh posted:

You can either freehand paint your flag to claim the Fly your Flag bonus, OR you can freehand paint your flag to claim the September Detektuv's Jurnal points, but not both.

If you want to claim both bonuses this month, you must freehand something else in addition to freehanding the flag.

Namenlos: So the way I'm reading this is you want that amazing banner to count for the Jurnal, which is fine, but it cannot count for the Fly Your Flag bonus as well as the Jurnal, as we explained together previously (which is why I provided the link and quote above).

If you wanted to get the flag and jurnal bonuses at the same time, we'd have to make sure the judges only count the shoulder pad (which is really very good) for the Jurnal and Leperflesh would count the flag as the 1-point bonus - the Jurnal and the various one-time bonuses are separate things, which we've said to others earlier this month (like in this post and in this post). It's the same thing if someone freehanded numbers on a turn marker or something - you can't get 2 points for the Jurnal and 1 point for the I rolled a 6! one-time bonus, they're two separate bonuses. You're not intended to do one thing and have it count for two bonuses. I think we've been pretty good so far to keep these things separate during the thread (although this month was a strange one because of the freehand Jurnal points) and it seems you went away from the explanation thinking you could still get both bonuses for one item (that fabulous banner), which again is not the intent of the rules.

It seems you're going all-out for the top ten points, so I would suggest NOT claiming the Fly Your Flag bonus this time. There's many moons left still, we only just completed month 5, so plenty of time to paint a banner to get you the 1 point for the Fly Your Flag bonus.

I'm sure you won't like this decision, but we have to be consistent with what we've said and decided in the past (and Leperflesh is doing a great job keeping me consistent - my IRL friends and coworkers have a hard enough time without being on the other side of the world).

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 1, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah yeah, I remember now.

Provisionally, I'm removing Fly your Flag from Namenlos and Mmtheblue; however, either of you can post at any time, including after the oath deadline, if you want me to give you Fly your Flag (and not have your banner considered by the judges for their "best theme" category of judging).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yes I meant to edit in that even after the oath deadling (ten minutes!!!) let us know what you want to do and we'll honor that.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
OATH COMPLETE!

Gonna claim Aww its a Baby! since this is my first post. I won't take the Jurnal since the only freehand I did was a little NCO stripe on the back of the helmet for 2 of my GIs. I will take Box Art, though.

This was the first time I've painted a complete unit from start-to-finish. It was a very educational experience and I learned a ton from it. The models themselves are decent for tabletop gaming, and I'm pleased with how they came out. I was thinking of oathing my Cryx Battlebox for October, but I'm not sure if I want to do something with another green and brown paint scheme. :toot:

Box Art reference:

(I hope I posted everything right. :ohdear:)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Jesus Christ you cut it tight!

The October theme is coming up...very soon! Why not, I'm up anyway :P

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Leperflesh posted:

Your glow-in-the-dark thing is really cool, but I definitely don't have a valid before/after set of photos of your conversion here. For Before I need to see the specific model (or parts) before it's converted, and then for "after" I need to see the model after the conversion work is done (and this can be before or after you've painted it, although before you paint it may be easier for me to see the exact modifications you've made). In this case, I have your oath photo (a big pile of plastic) and then this glow in the dark patchwork of glowy bits. I can't really even guess at what conversion work you've done.

I wish someone had pointed that out when I asked if I'd done it right in my oath photo, but ok! I'll remember that for my next Serpent.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oxford Comma posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

(I hope I posted everything right. :ohdear:)

Welp, I'd be showing favoritism if I didn't ask: are you missing a guy? I count 24, the oath was for 25... or did the box set only come with 24?

NTRabbit posted:

I wish someone had pointed that out when I asked if I'd done it right in my oath photo, but ok! I'll remember that for my next Serpent.

I'm sorry. It might be because there's no requirement that the before/after photos of a conversion be in the original Oath post; you can post them whenever, including in your final oath complete post (and some people have done that).

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Leperflesh posted:

Same to you: put your username in your oath complete photos, and you get a point! Also, did you do this month's Detektuv's Jurnal? (It's OK if you didn't, but if you did, you need to point out what you did to me.)

drat, got home 15 minutes too late to swap in user name pics. I didn't do any free hand on these guys. Maybe I'll swing both next month.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Zzzzzzap!

No sooner 'ad I approached da goffy lady I wus s’pozed ta talk to, dan I was blasted with funny pink lightnin'. It crackled and sparkled all over me for a minute an' oi felt all tingly.

"Now where were we, Miss Green. You have the password and NOW you have the necessary...modifications."

Modifi- wot?! Oh. OH.

Wot ‘av we gots ourselfs intah?

This month’s theme: Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Get your pinks (or just red and white) ready, because all you need to do is figure out a way to clearly incorporate pink into any model you do this month! Something, somewhere, must be pink. And not just a single dot either: a piece of armor (like an elbow pad or shoulder piece), a weapon, an article of clothing, etc., needs to be clearly PINK. If we’re forced to be exact, let’s go with a 3mm x 3mm (about ⅛” square) area on a 28mm model (all other scales can be scaled down or up as appropriate) of PINK has to be on your model. The pink has to be somewhere it is clearly visible in your final photo (e.g., not the bottom of your space tank), to get the points for the Detektuv’s Jurnal this month.

ALTERNATIVELY, you can paint the ‘pink ribbon’ somewhere on your model in whatever size, as long as it fits the scale (2-3mm high on a 28mm model is about right).

And remember, the judges will be giving 1 point EACH for the best creative use of pink, or the pink ribbon, done this month!

If you don’t want to do this Detektuv’s Jurnal or you just can’t see a way to do it on your chosen model(s), you can do any previous Jurnal to earn 1 point this month (instead of the 2 for doing the October Jurnal), but your Jurnal entry won’t be eligible for points from the judges.

We've also got a sweet extra bonus prize for anyone painting anything from Wyrd Miniatures, from goon Slimnoid! So get those Malifaux models out! We'll be announcing details in the next 24 hours.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Leperflesh posted:

I'm sorry. It might be because there's no requirement that the before/after photos of a conversion be in the original Oath post; you can post them whenever, including in your final oath complete post (and some people have done that).

No worries, can't even see my stupid little space elf in the back of the tank anyway, next time I'll wait for China air mail to arrive before oathing something.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Leperflesh posted:

Welp, I'd be showing favoritism if I didn't ask: are you missing a guy? I count 24, the oath was for 25... or did the box set only come with 24?

Uggggh....after asking my kids and wife, my 5 year old confessed to taking one, breaking it, and then hiding it because he was afraid he'd be in trouble for breaking it. So I guess this oath is failed but I'm not mad at all because I learned a ton about mini painting.

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
Did my oath get skipped? I posted the requisite Oath Complete photo but didn't see my name mentioned. I guess that's why other people use the :siren:? Oh dear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...

Leperflesh posted:

Ah yeah, I remember now.

Provisionally, I'm removing Fly your Flag from Namenlos and Mmtheblue; however, either of you can post at any time, including after the oath deadline, if you want me to give you Fly your Flag (and not have your banner considered by the judges for their "best theme" category of judging).

Oh well, I guess I'll go for the Jurnal and not get the Fly your Flag bonus. 'Cause drat Namenlos, that's gorgeous.

Edited my Oath Complete post.

Mmtheblue fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 1, 2013

• Locked thread