Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As an addendum, the Droid Mini does not have an OLED display. You can clearly see it's LCD in person.

Active notifications work differently on it as a result. It lights up the display on first receipt of the notification, but after that it blinks an LED rather than pulse the display. I can only assume the display will wake back up if you pick up the phone so that you can use the feature. It seems like a reasonable compromise on a non-oled device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

As an addendum, the Droid Mini does not have an OLED display. You can clearly see it's LCD in person.

Active notifications work differently on it as a result. It lights up the display on first receipt of the notification, but after that it blinks an LED rather than pulse the display. I can only assume the display will wake back up if you pick up the phone so that you can use the feature. It seems like a reasonable compromise on a non-oled device.

So in other words it's a useless incarnation of the feature. The whole thing I like about this on the Maxx is that I can leave my phone sitting there, come back an hour later, and see from what's pulsing on the screen that I've got a missed call, a SMS, and an email. An ambiguous LED blinking is pointless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kitten smoothie posted:

So in other words it's a useless incarnation of the feature. The whole thing I like about this on the Maxx is that I can leave my phone sitting there, come back an hour later, and see from what's pulsing on the screen that I've got a missed call, a SMS, and an email. An ambiguous LED blinking is pointless.

Yeah, the usefulness is dulled a bit. I think the screen would awake automatically though on being picked up so it has some slight advantages over the normal system. Also, it should wake on it's own and show the notifications when you pull it from your pocket.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

kitten smoothie posted:

I really love the feature too but I wish it dimmed a bit when it was dark. I'll admit I have put zero effort into looking into how to dim it so I'll check that out.

Another thing I dislike is that the capacitive buttons are blaring white even if I dim my screen the entire way.

I'm positive that there's probably some magic solution to both of these things that I just don't know about yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Reports are that unshipped orders are being canceled shipped ones are kinda in limbo, but people are going to have to watch when activating.

No word on what's going to happen to people who bought in store or ordered for in store pickup. Retroactively changing the terms of the contract are going to result in a lot of returned, used, phones.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

JP Money posted:

I really love the feature too but I wish it dimmed a bit when it was dark. I'll admit I have put zero effort into looking into how to dim it so I'll check that out.

Another thing I dislike is that the capacitive buttons are blaring white even if I dim my screen the entire way.

I'm positive that there's probably some magic solution to both of these things that I just don't know about yet.

You can set the notifications to inactive for a set period of time every day (or night). Right now I have mine set so that the screen doesn't light up for those notifications from 11 pm to 7 am.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Posted just a little bit ago. Hopefully all those who made it to shipped will be alright.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/30/verizon-will-honor/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Untagged posted:

Posted just a little bit ago. Hopefully all those who made it to shipped will be alright.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/30/verizon-will-honor/

Check the update :)

quote:

Update: We have the official word from Verizon and it’s a good one. They will honor orders placed this past weekend, allowing unlimited data users to receive discounted phones and continue to keep unlimited data.

Full statement.

quote:

Over the past weekend, there was a software issue involving some orders for customers seeking to upgrade their devices. A number of customers who were upgrading devices were able to maintain an unlimited monthly data feature while paying a subsidized price.

Verizon Wireless will honor those orders that were approved this past weekend, allowing those customers to retain their unlimited plans for the duration of their contract and receive their new device.

Verizon Wireless corrected this software issue today (9/30). The company no longer offers unlimited data plans and customers who want to retain existing unlimited data plans, must pay full retail price for a replacement phone.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 30, 2013

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

bull3964 posted:

...I really can't see why anyone would be for or against capacitance buttons unless they really need the front of their phone to be a completely black slate when off or cared about the icons rotating so they were face up in landscape mode.

I'm picky (I'm sure you can't blame me). I like the buttons to rotate around the screen. I don't want to have to think about which end of the phone I'm holding in either hand. And I like how the buttons rotate when the phone is held horizontally or vertically. This is just how I prefer my "user experience".

I just think it greatly improves the aesthetics of the phone. It gives it a cleaner look.

I'm pretentious :smuggo:

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 30, 2013

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Even though I don't have unlimited,this glitch explains why I was able to keep my existing plan vs share everything.

So,yeah I guess

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Roundboy posted:

Even though I don't have unlimited,this glitch explains why I was able to keep my existing plan vs share everything.

So,yeah I guess

That's not a glitch. You don't have to take share everything when you upgrade, you just have to get on some kind of plan that isn't unlimited, or be on one to start with.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
wait a sec, were people who did not already have unlimited able to sign up for unlimited during the glitch?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Fog Tripper posted:

wait a sec, were people who did not already have unlimited able to sign up for unlimited during the glitch?

No.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I cannot understand how Apple is producing these things and stocking retailers. I get that my gold 5s is going to be SOMETIME in november, but why would the estimate for the 64gb that is also estimated for november shipping estimated a week sooner than the 16gb? That far out you'd imagine they will be taking just as long to put a chip in one as another of the same color.

I just don't get it. What could they possibly be setting the estimates by?

edit: Verizon Wireless estimates.

Now I need to hit up a verizon store and have my Droid X reactivated, so I can attempt to sell my GNex.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 1, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Fog Tripper posted:

I cannot understand how Apple is producing these things and stocking retailers. I get that my gold 5s is going to be SOMETIME in november, but why would the estimate for the 64gb that is also estimated for november shipping estimated a week sooner than the 16gb? That far out you'd imagine they will be taking just as long to put a chip in one as another of the same color.

I just don't get it. What could they possibly be setting the estimates by?

Most likely, there is more demand for the cheaper 16GB model vs the 64GB. So if you order a 16GB, there are more people ahead of you in line for whatever inventory becomes available.

Is there an Apple Store near you? Maybe just start checking on the store pickup page rather than trying to order through Verizon. They started allowing in-store reservations of the 5S today.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

kitten smoothie posted:

That's not a glitch. You don't have to take share everything when you upgrade, you just have to get on some kind of plan that isn't unlimited, or be on one to start with.

I wish the worthless woman who worked at the store I went to had told me this/hadn't lied to me when I added a few people onto my plan 6 months ago. I was pretty pissed when I found that out!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

kitten smoothie posted:

Most likely, there is more demand for the cheaper 16GB model vs the 64GB. So if you order a 16GB, there are more people ahead of you in line for whatever inventory becomes available.

Is there an Apple Store near you? Maybe just start checking on the store pickup page rather than trying to order through Verizon. They started allowing in-store reservations of the 5S today.

Fog Tripper posted:

In Utah and Colorado, there appears to be only the silver 64gb in a single store. No other stores have any of the colors or sizes. :psyduck:
What the everliving gently caress, Apple?

I guess my point is why Apple doesn't look at what retailers have orders in for and manufacture based on that, rather than some other mystical way of fulfilment. I mean it's not like they cannot adjust production to better align with demand. ESPECIALLY given 2 months lead time.

Are the retailers at the mercy of whatever Apple chooses to bestow upon them?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
I had my plan restored to unlimited (because I purchased last Friday). I sure hope I stay lumped in with the rest of the glitched folks :).

As of right now, it's still on my account.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

big mean giraffe posted:

I wish the worthless woman who worked at the store I went to had told me this/hadn't lied to me when I added a few people onto my plan 6 months ago. I was pretty pissed when I found that out!

What plan were you on before?
How many lines did you have previously?
How many of them were smartphones?
How many lines did you add?
How many of them were smartphones?
Did you ask about keeping your old plan?
Why don't you just change your plan back? :frog:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

SeaborneClink posted:

Did you ask about keeping your old plan?
Why don't you just change your plan back? :frog:

This was over 6 months ago, and I was told I had to change to the share everything setup to change from a single line to a family plan.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

big mean giraffe posted:

This was over 6 months ago, and I was told I had to change to the share everything setup to change from a single line to a family plan.

This is true. If you are currently on an old plan on an individual line you can't convert to a family plan without switching to the Share Everything plan.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
You can actually. The family share plans with minute buckets never went away, they just don't advertise them anymore, and most reps think they are gone, but there are all there in the system for the choosing.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

kitten smoothie posted:

The other thing you can do, is once you get the iPhone, let it activate, and then put the dumbphone back on that line.

Then take out the SIM, from the new iPhone and wait 24 hours. After that, it cycles over in Verizon's system and becomes reusable.

Go online, visit the page on your Verizon account where you activate a phone. Pick your line. Enter the IMEI of your iPhone. Then enter the SIM number off the nano-SIM that shipped with the iPhone. Put it in the iPhone. Enjoy your iPhone with unlimited data.

I just went through this process on the release day of the iPhone 5S and I didn't have to wait for 24 hours. After the 5S was activated on my sister's line for about 2 hours, the activation went through the Verizon system and allowed me to swap her Galaxy S3 back to her line for activation. I was able to immediately activate the 5S on my line using the SIM that came with it (that was active on her line for 2 hours) and everything worked fine immediately.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

FordPRefectLL posted:

This is true. If you are currently on an old plan on an individual line you can't convert to a family plan without switching to the Share Everything plan.

You [should] know better than this. Especially since you use eroes/iconic. :frogout:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

SeaborneClink posted:

You [should] know better than this. Especially since you use eroes/iconic. :frogout:

I'm aware you can select them. My company at least does audit that and I've had sales charged back for activating account level stuff. Don't know how it works at the retail store.

I like my money more than I like you.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fiki posted:

I just went through this process on the release day of the iPhone 5S and I didn't have to wait for 24 hours. After the 5S was activated on my sister's line for about 2 hours, the activation went through the Verizon system and allowed me to swap her Galaxy S3 back to her line for activation. I was able to immediately activate the 5S on my line using the SIM that came with it (that was active on her line for 2 hours) and everything worked fine immediately.

I am assuming you bought it at an apple store?

Can anyone confirm that buying at an apple store for a line other than the unlimited one doesn't gently caress with the unlimited plan line?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 3, 2013

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
So, something just dawned on me. In a few days I'm going to be switching from a Note 2 to an iPhone 5, and I initially thought "great, I'll just swap the sim card!" Then, I remembered that the iPhone 5 uses a nano-sim while the Note 2 uses a micro-sim. In other words, I'll have to go by a carrier store for a new sim, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You could always just cut it. If you gently caress it up, you can then swing buy a store and get a new one.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

bull3964 posted:

You could always just cut it. If you gently caress it up, you can then swing buy a store and get a new one.

I thought about that, but given how little plastic is already on the micro-sim I just assumed any attempt would instantly gently caress it up. Does the sizing need to be perfect or would an approximation work (assuming the contacts aren't damaged)?

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Can anyone confirm that buying at an apple store for a line other than the unlimited one doesn't gently caress with the unlimited plan line?

I actually bought it at Walmart, because they opened at 7AM vs 8AM for Apple and surprise surprise, no one thought to go to Walmart so there was no line. And from the upgrades that've gone through on my family account the past few years, no and upgrade on a line other than the unlimited will not affect the unlimited line UNLESS you go with a Shared Data plan.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fiki posted:

I actually bought it at Walmart, because they opened at 7AM vs 8AM for Apple and surprise surprise, no one thought to go to Walmart so there was no line. And from the upgrades that've gone through on my family account the past few years, no and upgrade on a line other than the unlimited will not affect the unlimited line UNLESS you go with a Shared Data plan.

Just chatted with Apple CSR. She stated that if I order online to pick up in store (basically reserving what the store has in inventory currently) then it would mess with my unlimited because of family plan. However I could do what I need at the physical store (as long as the phone is still in stock when I get there) and keep unlimited intact on other line.

Funny thing is when I was at Walmart last week, they had the phone in stock, but said that they could not do an upgrade on any of the lines without loving up the unlimited line. They said only verizon directly could do it cleanly. THEN the people at the VZW local retailer said THEY couldnt do it but the corporate locations could. What a clusterfuck VZW has created for us long time customers.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Just chatted with Apple CSR. She stated that if I order online to pick up in store (basically reserving what the store has in inventory currently) then it would mess with my unlimited because of family plan. However I could do what I need at the physical store (as long as the phone is still in stock when I get there) and keep unlimited intact on other line.

Funny thing is when I was at Walmart last week, they had the phone in stock, but said that they could not do an upgrade on any of the lines without loving up the unlimited line. They said only verizon directly could do it cleanly. THEN the people at the VZW local retailer said THEY couldnt do it but the corporate locations could. What a clusterfuck VZW has created for us long time customers.

Well in both cases you got some incorrect information. You're under no obligation to go to a family data share if you're using an upgrade on any of the lines on your account. The last upgrade on my account was for my sister going from a dumbphone to a smartphone (after unlimited was already gone) and she was able to go with the 2GB/$30 plan on that line. Likewise, using the upgrade on her line to buy the 5S just maintained that same data plan without affecting two other lines that have unlimited data on the account. Good luck though!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fiki posted:

Well in both cases you got some incorrect information. You're under no obligation to go to a family data share if you're using an upgrade on any of the lines on your account. The last upgrade on my account was for my sister going from a dumbphone to a smartphone (after unlimited was already gone) and she was able to go with the 2GB/$30 plan on that line. Likewise, using the upgrade on her line to buy the 5S just maintained that same data plan without affecting two other lines that have unlimited data on the account. Good luck though!

Not talking about family data share, but rather a talk/text family plan.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you are out of the 30 day window to buy Asurion and decided you'd rather do it after all, they opened an open enrollment window and you can sign up until December 2.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

kitten smoothie posted:

If you are out of the 30 day window to buy Asurion and decided you'd rather do it after all, they opened an open enrollment window and you can sign up until December 2.

quote:

We apologize that we are not able to process your enrollment. Please call us at 1.800.430.9490
Thank you for visiting us and allowing us to serve you.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Fog Tripper posted:

I'm not exactly sure if I match up to your situation but I ordered a 5s from Apple online using an upgrade from my mom's line who has the 2GB data plan. When I received the phone, I activated it on my mom's line, then her old phone on mine, then switched the SIM cards to move the 5s to my line while keeping unlimited and her phone back to her line. Nothing in our plan changed. We have shared minutes/unlimited texting on our family plan.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Try this link. The landing page has the wrong dates but when you click through it says the window is 9/26 through 10/2. One of the blogs called Verizon/Asurion and confirmed it's legit.

http://shop.verizonwireless.com/?id=openenroll

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.
Okay, I just got my phone I ordered this weekend during the Verizon not losing unlimited thing. I want to make sure I keep my unlimited data and I've never switched smartphones before. Sorry for the dumb questions.

Just someone tell me if I have this right.

1. Verizon mailed me a sim card with the phone so it my understanding I can just pop that in and I don't have to activate it.
2. Go to activate/switch device on myverizon. Follow prompts because it will already have all the info for my order (IMEI/Phone sn etc)
3. Install battery/SIM/expandable memory.
4. Charge phone
5. Power on and follow prompts?
6. Redownload apps etc.

Some other questions:

I used the verizon backup assistant. Will that copy over text messages from the old phone or are these lost for all time?

If not, will I be able to access my old text messages and stuff even though i don't have active service for the old phone?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Krabkolash posted:

I used the verizon backup assistant. Will that copy over text messages from the old phone or are these lost for all time?

If not, will I be able to access my old text messages and stuff even though i don't have active service for the old phone?

I don't know about the other things but you said up-thread you got the Maxx, right? The Maxx's setup process offers to migrate your photos, texts, contacts, and call history from your old phone, assuming it was running Android 2.2 or later. Just follow the prompts on the Maxx and install this app on your old phone when they tell you to. You don't need service on the old phone, the two phones just need to be on the same wifi network.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.migrate&hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

kitten smoothie posted:

I don't know about the other things but you said up-thread you got the Maxx, right? The Maxx's setup process offers to migrate your photos, texts, contacts, and call history from your old phone, assuming it was running Android 2.2 or later. Just install this app on your old phone. You don't need service on the old phone, you just have to have wifi turned on.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.migrate&hl=en

I ended up getting the S4. The Maxx wouldn't let me keep unlimited for some reason. But thanks!

• Locked thread