Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

What is going to be my best bet for a ~$100 amp? Does this price point offer anything with two inputs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

mainks posted:

What is going to be my best bet for a ~$100 amp? Does this price point offer anything with two inputs?

just a head, my friend just picked up an old acoustic corp head for just over 100. clean tone, and can get loud. only problem is a grounding hum but that can be fixed for about $20.

quote:

t40 vs aria

not sure i mentioned but I do currently have a jazz bass, if that factors into anything. I have seen t40s usually go for about 300, bummer I didn't see that one going on. Was that on SAmart or on this forum?

I am trying to get a deal on this Aria, If I can't, I am going to pull the trigger on this Aria. (both should come with hard cases which is good cause I tour a lot)

thanks for the input

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

Smash it Smash hit posted:

just a head, my friend just picked up an old acoustic corp head for just over 100. clean tone, and can get loud. only problem is a grounding hum but that can be fixed for about $20.

not sure i mentioned but I do currently have a jazz bass, if that factors into anything. I have seen t40s usually go for about 300, bummer I didn't see that one going on. Was that on SAmart or on this forum?

I am trying to get a deal on this Aria, If I can't, I am going to pull the trigger on this Aria. (both should come with hard cases which is good cause I tour a lot)

thanks for the input

When I said "here" I meant Craigslist.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.

mainks posted:

$100 is a lovely price point. Ampeg BA-108 is your best bet and Fender Rumble 15 would work too. Both have aux inputs for jamming with your Zunes player and headphone outs. Both decent sounding bedroomers. You don't find a lot used around $100 :(

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

RetardedRobots posted:

$100 is a lovely price point. Ampeg BA-108 is your best bet and Fender Rumble 15 would work too. Both have aux inputs for jamming with your Zunes player and headphone outs. Both decent sounding bedroomers. You don't find a lot used around $100 :(

Peavey has a decent little amp in that pricepoint too, otherwise yeah, the Rumble and the Ampeg are probably your best bet. If you can save up another $200, there's always that one Roland that I think is mentioned in the OP (of course, if you wants to spend ~$300 on a practice amp, there's always this Carvin too).

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I would do everything in your power to scrounge up more money for an amp, personally.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have that Roland micro cube and it really is fantastic. I don't know what kind of wizardry they use but you get a great, full sound in a small package that also has a great selection of effects and rhythm tracks.

mainks
Jun 13, 2013

This would just be money for a practice amp to sit in my room. When I want to play with other people I have access to bigger and better amps.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'd probably do the Peavey Max II 158. Built in tuner, and I personally feel like it sounds better than the Ampeg. (I also still really, really like my Max II 112, btw.)

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'd probably do the Peavey Max II 158. Built in tuner, and I personally feel like it sounds better than the Ampeg. (I also still really, really like my Max II 112, btw.)
One day I'd like to test through all these $100-$300 bedroom amps. They start smelling interesting around $250-ish. But I'm so turned off by the bass combos currently being made :(. I just want a small, 50w tube bass combo.

Full disclosure: I'm using the Ampeg Micro-VR as my bedroomer, but the amp and cab run about $600 now so I can't really push it for a first amp / bedroomer. It is a hell of a bedroomer though; you really can't get a better small bass cab.

Since we're on amp chat: Has anyone tried the Ampeg V-4B yet? It's specs are scratching my itch...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RetardedRobots posted:

Since we're on amp chat: Has anyone tried the Ampeg V-4B yet? It's specs are scratching my itch...

Oh wow, they're reissuing the V-4b? That's pretty awesome.

Assuming they're like the vintage ones... they were like more studio/smaller-venue minded versions of the SVT.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHpaoeyYjOs Should be on shelves now. Probably.

Really all you could practically need in an amp unless you need a ton of clean headroom. If the DI is any good, you'd be set for any thing I'd think.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

RetardedRobots posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHpaoeyYjOs Should be on shelves now. Probably.

Really all you could practically need in an amp unless you need a ton of clean headroom. If the DI is any good, you'd be set for any thing I'd think.

I got to play an original one today in my GCs used section. $400. Reverb tank freaks the gently caress out when you move the head, distorts like mad with any serious volume run through it (with a brand new Ampeg 610 cab). Also it electrocuted me a little when I went to unplug the speaker cable.

When it sounded good oh god did it sound good. Makes me want to check out one of these, although yeah even on a full stack that might not be enough headroom.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Revvik posted:

I got to play an original one today in my GCs used section. $400. Reverb tank freaks the gently caress out when you move the head, distorts like mad with any serious volume run through it (with a brand new Ampeg 610 cab). Also it electrocuted me a little when I went to unplug the speaker cable.
I'd have bought it. For the underlined reasons. Call that "character".

EDIT: If it had a reverb tank, I believe that was a V4, which is actually a guitar amp, though quite usable for bass.

RetardedRobots fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 27, 2013

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Well it's still there, won't be 'available' until the 6th. Maybe I'll drag my cabs down there and A/B it with my current rig then (Portaflex 500 with Sansamp).

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I got to put in some real time between a few different Fenders today at a guitar shoppe next to where I was getting my brakes changed out. We had an American Deluxe P, an American P, a Mexican Cabronitas/Tele P and a Mexican J, all running into a Portaflex. I also got to diddle around with a Kala U-Bass, which was fun.

Funnily enough the Mexican J still sounds the best to me. It might have had something to do with the Portaflex being old and having a hell of a time handling low end, but the J just had a more pleasing sound. However, the one I got the most play out of was that Cabronitas/Tele because it had a big rear end wide maple neck. The fat neck was supposed to be typical of the P-bass but it seem a lot less common now? I mean I'm fine with the playability of the slimmer neck but I'd really love to fit my J with a fat rear end maple neck.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I got to put in some real time between a few different Fenders today at a guitar shoppe next to where I was getting my brakes changed out. We had an American Deluxe P, an American P, a Mexican Cabronitas/Tele P and a Mexican J, all running into a Portaflex. I also got to diddle around with a Kala U-Bass, which was fun.

Funnily enough the Mexican J still sounds the best to me. It might have had something to do with the Portaflex being old and having a hell of a time handling low end, but the J just had a more pleasing sound. However, the one I got the most play out of was that Cabronitas/Tele because it had a big rear end wide maple neck. The fat neck was supposed to be typical of the P-bass but it seem a lot less common now? I mean I'm fine with the playability of the slimmer neck but I'd really love to fit my J with a fat rear end maple neck.

I really like the look of the red Cabronita but there's nowhere nearby that has them. How did it feel/sound?

e: look at this loving bass

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 1, 2013

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

MancXVI posted:

I really like the look of the red Cabronita but there's nowhere nearby that has them. How did it feel/sound?

e: look at this loving bass

The sound was great, deeper and fuller than the other P's thanks to that Fidelitron, imho. I also love the Telecaster jack, as I've never been a fan of having a wire sticking out of my guitar's face. I didn't get to play it standing, but it felt about as light as any P-bass; and while I can't remember the back contour, it was comfortable enough to play sitting/laidback in spite of its boxy shape. The main selling point was as I described: the big, wide all-maple neck, it was exactly what all P's should be like. The edges were pretty crisp still, but they could always be worked in if necessary. There's just something about a huge rear end piece of wood in your hands that makes the bass stand apart.

The one I played was black, I think both the black and red ones look a little odd, but I'd love a white one.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Has anybody tried the squier vm telecaster bass with the neck humbucker? I've was originally thinking of getting some kind of pbass copy but it looks nice for the money.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Krustic posted:

Has anybody tried the squier vm telecaster bass with the neck humbucker?
Woah. Had to look it up. Shame they added the unnecessary single on the bridge. 32 inch scale. Interesting.

Squiers are a ridiculous value. Seriously I'm so in love with them right now.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
What are some good books for the electric bass? Could be instruction, history, reference or whatever.

I have the following:
Jaco Pastorius Modern Electric Bass
Standing in the Shadows of Motown: The Life and Music of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson
Hal Leonard Bass Method

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Pocket Billiards posted:

What are some good books for the electric bass? Could be instruction, history, reference or whatever.

I have the following:
Standing in the Shadows of Motown: The Life and Music of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson
Hal Leonard Bass Method

Bass Grooves is a really great complete work through of like 99% of the core of bass playing. Every page has something to learn and incorporate into your playing. It's a very useful book to have around.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Rufus Reid's "The Evolving Bassist" is good, as is John Goldsby's Jazz Bass book. The "Essential Styles" books are pretty useful as well.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RetardedRobots posted:

Woah. Had to look it up. Shame they added the unnecessary single on the bridge. 32 inch scale. Interesting.

Squiers are a ridiculous value. Seriously I'm so in love with them right now.

That's the newer version. This is the old one:

Not sure why they stopped making it. I personally really dislike the look of the tele-guitar body on a bass.

but yeah, Squier's VM and CV series are great for the price point.

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I have the following:
Hal Leonard Bass Method

Honestly if you work through those cover to cover there's nothing else you need, except to just play as much as you can. Even if you just master the second one (and fully understand the harmonic content), you know 95% of everything a bass player needs to know. Some will disagree - but not many. ;)

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I have the following:
Hal Leonard Bass Method

Sorry to hijack your question, but are these good books for someone just starting to learn bass? I'm in the final stages of learning the major scales, and am ready to move onto whatever comes next. I recall using some Hal Leonard books in piano lessons as a kid.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Blakkout posted:

Sorry to hijack your question, but are these good books for someone just starting to learn bass? I'm in the final stages of learning the major scales, and am ready to move onto whatever comes next. I recall using some Hal Leonard books in piano lessons as a kid.

They're not really suited for beginners, but if you push through them it'll put some steroids into your chops. You'll need to be able to read music, though.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Blakkout posted:

The Hal Leonard book in the op is about as beginner as it gets

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

I started taking lessons recently after playing for 7 years, the Hal Leonard Bass Method book is what I've been working through to learn the notation. I would say it's a good book to start with and to couple with the other helpful suggestions in the past page.

Paying for lessons has definitely been the most worthwhile thing I've done with music for quite a while though, that's for sure!

Doomy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 1, 2013

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Blakkout posted:

The Hal Leonard book is fantastic, it is intended for a complete beginner and it's the best resource for that that I have even seen.

The James Jamerson book has a lot to offer a beginner. There's a lot of full transcriptions for Motown classics and quite a few of them are not technically difficult, like 'Ain't Too Proud to Beg', 'I Can't Help Myself' and 'My Guy' (I think).

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Scarf posted:

That's the newer version. This is the old one:

Not sure why they stopped making it. I personally really dislike the look of the tele-guitar body on a bass.
The tele look on a bass isn't really my favorite either, that older version looks pretty great. That said, the pickup placement right at the end of the fretboard (on both models) is a poor choice as any pickup in that position will produce poor note definition; by adding the single in the bridge of the new version, I guess they get past the definition problem just like Gibson did by adding the mini-bucker to the EB-0 to make the EB-3.

If I were designing it I'd have taken that old model, moved the pup into the middle position, added the standard bent plate Fender four barrel bridge and called it a day.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

RetardedRobots posted:

The tele look on a bass isn't really my favorite either, that older version looks pretty great. That said, the pickup placement right at the end of the fretboard (on both models) is a poor choice as any pickup in that position will produce poor note definition; by adding the single in the bridge of the new version, I guess they get past the definition problem just like Gibson did by adding the mini-bucker to the EB-0 to make the EB-3.

If I were designing it I'd have taken that old model, moved the pup into the middle position, added the standard bent plate Fender four barrel bridge and called it a day.

Well it's the "Vintage Modified" series, so they based it after the 70s telecaster basses with the mudbucker up against the neck. But yeah, I guess that could have been the "modification." but then, it'd pretty much just be a p-bass at that point.

Fender now makes a version that has both the mudbucker at the neck and one all the way back at the bridge too. (And it doesn't cost loving $5k like the drat Lotto-bass or whatever it was a few years ago)

http://www.fender.com/basses/telecaster-bass/modern-player-telecaster-bass-maple-fingerboard-2-color-sunburst/

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?

Scarf posted:

but then, it'd pretty much just be a p-bass at that point.
P-Bass with a different look, a player friendly 32" scale and slightly a different sound. I'm not dumping on it too much and I kind of regret thinking that the bridge pickup was unnecessary; if I was looking for something unique for the stable, I don't think there are many neck + single bridge combinations out there.

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.
I just found my old bass hidden in my parents house, I haven't played it in about 10+ years.

It is a crappy old bass (I think it is a Falcon?) and I'm enjoying getting back into it but the action is way too high. If I compare it to a bass in the music shop my action is at least double the height of any other bass.

I tried slowly adjusting the truss rod but after a few days of 1/4 turns I started to get some fret buzz. Is there anything I can do to get a lower action without fret buzz? Or is the bass a lost cause?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Xarb posted:

I just found my old bass hidden in my parents house, I haven't played it in about 10+ years.

It is a crappy old bass (I think it is a Falcon?) and I'm enjoying getting back into it but the action is way too high. If I compare it to a bass in the music shop my action is at least double the height of any other bass.

I tried slowly adjusting the truss rod but after a few days of 1/4 turns I started to get some fret buzz. Is there anything I can do to get a lower action without fret buzz? Or is the bass a lost cause?

Any good music shops around? A good guitar tech will set it up super smooth for cheap. $25 around here.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Xarb posted:

If it's a bolt on neck you can shim it.
A piece of paper or card stock folded over a couple of times right at the base of the heel will tilt the neck back a bit and lower the action. How much it needs is trial and error, but it's cheap.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Seventh Arrow posted:

You'll need to be able to read music, though.

Ericadia posted:

The Hal Leonard book in the op is about as beginner as it gets

Pocket Billiards posted:

The Hal Leonard book is fantastic, it is intended for a complete beginner and it's the best resource for that that I have even seen.

The James Jamerson book has a lot to offer a beginner. There's a lot of full transcriptions for Motown classics and quite a few of them are not technically difficult, like 'Ain't Too Proud to Beg', 'I Can't Help Myself' and 'My Guy' (I think).

Awesome, thanks. I have some background in reading music from playing piano and trumpet, so I think I'm pretty well positioned to pick it up on the bass. That being said, formal lessons aren't really in the budget right now, so I appreciate the recommendations as far as good, cheap, reference material.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Blakkout posted:

Awesome, thanks. I have some background in reading music from playing piano and trumpet, so I think I'm pretty well positioned to pick it up on the bass. That being said, formal lessons aren't really in the budget right now, so I appreciate the recommendations as far as good, cheap, reference material.

I followed the first two books and I really, really enjoyed it - the songs are varied and interesting and I felt relatively proficient at sight-reading the bass-clef towards the middle of the second volume. At that point it moves away from 'this note on the staff is this note at this fret' and becomes more about positional playing, patterns and such - it's great.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
What I love about the Hal Leonard Bass book is that it is all playing.

There's maybe (going from memory) one page on the what the parts of the bass are called, a page on how to hold the guitar and rest position and maybe one page in big font of how the stave works. Then straight into playing little songs on the open E string in semibreves and minims.

Seems like every other beginner book for bass or guitar I've ever looked at just vomits a 30 pages wall of text at you with some notated scales and intervals in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silverhawk79
Jan 18, 2012
What are some good effects pedals for bass? I've currently got a Sansamp Para Driver DI box and a Bass Big Muff Pi, but is there something else that's "essential"? I'm interested in a compression pedal too.