Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

VH1 are streaming Lorde's album early for some reason.

http://www.vh1.com/video/misc/958138/vh1-exclusive-album-premiere-pure-heroine-by-lorde.jhtml

edit: Still Sane and White Teeth Teens aren't up to much but everything else is pretty good.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Justin Timblerlake Part II has surfaced

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 24, 2013

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

And it is fantastic. There are way more dance/party tracks this time around. Very much like his first two albums.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

I didn't even know there was going to be a Part 2 until my friend just asked me if I knew about it just a few minutes ago. Can't wait to dive in and give it a listen. Never thought I'd say this about a JT album but I love Part 1 so this should be interesting.

EDIT: Hmm. I don't know. It's not bad at all at least. Some of my favorite bits of the first album were Suit & Tie, the last two minutes of Don't Hold The Wall, and the last two minutes of Let The Groove Get In, along with Spaceship Coupe and That Girl. This album kinda has a different flavor than what those usually went for. I'll definitely give it some time to sink in though.

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 24, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm almost done with my first listen and it's not really doing much for me at all :smith:

20 20 Experience really surprised me and remains one of my favorite albums of this year. This just sounds like a bunch of less than impressive b-sides to that album so far. Take Back The Night and Drink You Away are the only tracks I've really enjoyed.

e: The second half of Amnesia and all of Only When I Walk Away are really good and more like what I wanted to hear from this album.

All of Not A Bad Thing but especially the second half sounds like a new NSYNC song, so take that how you will.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 24, 2013

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Part II > Part I

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

nyquil hangover posted:

Part II > Part I

I would have to agree. Drink You Away is so good.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Murder is my favorite so far. Such a fun song to jam too.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

I cannot stand listening to the radio edit of Work Bitch. The song's fine, but the copy pasted vocal cover up of "Work Work" kills me for some reason.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

poo poo me there's a new Cut Copy album coming November 4th and it's called 'Free Your Mind'. I think 'Zonoscope' wasn't their best but whatever I'm pretty hyped here's two songs from 'Free Your Mind' they're pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-JgJhLyw-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99eH2iJHVEQ

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable

Leonid posted:

I cannot stand listening to the radio edit of Work Bitch. The song's fine, but the copy pasted vocal cover up of "Work Work" kills me for some reason.

That's how they did the radio edit? They couldn't rub two brain cells together and come up with "work it"?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

VH1 are streaming Lorde's album early for some reason.

http://www.vh1.com/video/misc/958138/vh1-exclusive-album-premiere-pure-heroine-by-lorde.jhtml

edit: Still Sane and White Teeth Teens aren't up to much but everything else is pretty good.

I think white teeth teens is great, but song of the album for me goes to 400Lux. Can't stop listening to the damned thing.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

allmusic.com posted:

Born to Die is meant to be appreciated as slippery, elusive pop; Pure Heroine seems to hint at the truth...but the truth is, Lorde is a pop invention as much as LDR and is not nearly as honest about her intentions.

What the gently caress are these secret intentions supposed to be? :psyduck:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

We will be hearing hopefully a lot of new Katy Perry today when she performs at iTunes festival

In the mean time a new single is out

Walking On Air

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

We will be hearing hopefully a lot of new Katy Perry today when she performs at iTunes festival

In the mean time a new single is out

Walking On Air

Walking On Air starts out so awesome, and the production is a perfect 90's pastiche. But the chorus is a big fat nothing. With a little luck it'll grow on me, but I'm a little bit disappointed.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So far she is doing her big songs but doing different takes on them. I was hoping it was going to be a Lady Gaga concernt in which all she does is perform new songs.

Walking On Air
California Girls
Teenage Dream
Kissed a Girl
Dark Horse
Part of Me
By The Grace of God
Wide Awake
Firework
Roar

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 30, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

What's the quality of her live vocals like these days? Ever since I first saw this video, I don't think I've ever quite been able to give her a completely fair shake (I guess it was a little out of her range).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 1, 2013

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

What's the quality of her live vocals like these days? Ever since I first saw this video, I don't think I've ever quite been able to give her a completely fair shake (I guess it was a little out of her range).

Not very good sadly, and if she has some choreo it goes to hell. She has always been the 'worst' of the big pop girls live, IMO.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Not very good sadly, and if she has some choreo it goes to hell. She has always been the 'worst' of the big pop girls live, IMO.

How would you rank them? As far as the big ones go, I think Lady Gaga and Adele are probably the most consistently good. Rihanna often seems to be somewhere in the middle but maybe I've not heard enough of her live performances to reach a fair conclusion. I've heard that Britney Spears is quite good when she's actually singing, and obviously Christina Aguilera used to be ranked at the very top, though she's not really as highly regarded of late (ignoring lazy fat jokes, can she even be called a "big" pop girl any more?).

Not sure about Taylor Swift. She seems pretty divisive in this regard; I've seen some incredibly poor live vocal performances from her but at the same time I've seen others that were very good. She seems much better when she's performing songs she's written herself (not an indictment on the quality of songs she's recorded that she didn't write, keep in mind).

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

How would you rank them? As far as the big ones go, I think Lady Gaga and Adele are probably the most consistently good. Rihanna often seems to be somewhere in the middle but maybe I've not heard enough of her live performances to reach a fair conclusion. I've heard that Britney Spears is quite good when she's actually singing, and obviously Christina Aguilera used to be ranked at the very top, though she's not really as highly regarded of late (ignoring lazy fat jokes, can she even be called a "big" pop girl any more?).

Not sure about Taylor Swift. She seems pretty divisive in this regard; I've seen some incredibly poor live vocal performances from her but at the same time I've seen others that were very good. She seems much better when she's performing songs she's written herself (not an indictment on the quality of songs she's recorded that she didn't write, keep in mind).

Hmm, I'd pretty much rate them the same. Adele is probably something of a 'voice of a decade' or whatever, we'll see how that goes. Gaga (sadly the only one I've personally seen live) is really good, oddly I know a lot of people who don't think she is (something to do with how on the radio you can't really tell?). Rihanna can be pretty good IF she feels like it, lately she doesn't seem to care, though. I think Britney is very much the same although with that Las Vegas thing she kinda needs to put out solid vocals. Christina (not fat at all) has apparently hurt her voice a bit, but like Mariah is still very good but both of them are more of the 'old guard' types (Britney has managed to escape that, I guess) - like "Hey remember when Christina went Yeeahayayahahahoohayahahayahahooooaahhhh and everyone was like …gently caress". I think Taylor is pretty good, she isn't a powerhouse obviously but everything I've seen/heard has been nice. It helps that, like you said, her songs are right for her, unlike Katy who has a surprisingly large amount of songs she really has trouble with because they didn't account for her abilities, which makes her seem worse than she probably is.

Obviously everyone can have lovely days and I can't claim to have seen every performance, best or worst or whatever (and I am also not totally unbiased regarding Taylor, which I think is also a considerable factor).

Oh and Beyonce is somewhere in there too, but I kinda forgot.

RIP Whitney, best of the best.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Oh and Beyonce is somewhere in there too, but I kinda forgot.

There's two big omissions I can't believe I forgot. As you mentioned, Beyoncé is one of them, and the other is Kelly Clarkson, both of whom regularly sing well in a live setting. I might mention Carrie Underwood as well.

As an aside, I think the worst vocalist I've ever actually seen live was probably Meat Loaf in 2010. It's kind of hard to explain what it sounded like; sort of like he was trying to mumble and bellow at the same time. Huge let down, because I was a big fan of Meat Loaf at the time (and I still am a fan of most of his music, as my username might attest) and his band were absolutely phenomenal (especially Patti Russo, his current duets partner).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 1, 2013

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

There's two big omissions I can't believe I forgot. As you mentioned, Beyoncé is one of them, and the other is Kelly Clarkson, both of whom regularly sing well in a live setting. I might mention Carrie Underwood as well.

As an aside, I think the worst vocalist I've ever actually seen live was probably Meat Loaf in 2010. It's kind of hard to explain what it sounded like; sort of like he was trying to mumble and bellow at the same time. Huge let down, because I was a big fan of Meat Loaf at the time (and I still am a fan of most of his music, as my username might attest) and his band were absolutely phenomenal (especially Patti Russo, his current duets partner).

I actually dread (and kinda avoid) live performances for this exact (admittedly silly) reason - what if it sucks? There isn't much worse that can happen, is there? Especially if it's someone you really like. 'Thankfully' we don't get a lot of action around here (Robbie Williams did pop up in August, that was pretty cool) but something on the TV or on Youtube will do it and then you just sit there, cringing.

OK maybe they have a sore throat or are drunk as hell or their technique just isn't that good, but is it selfish to watch/go to a concert to see/hear my favourite songs/singer and expect them to pull it off?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sprat Sandwich posted:

OK maybe they have a sore throat or are drunk as hell or their technique just isn't that good, but is it selfish to watch/go to a concert to see/hear my favourite songs/singer and expect them to pull it off?

That's a good question and I'm not really sure what the answer would be. I suppose if someone holds themself out as a professional singer you should be able to reasonably expect a certain degree of ability, but at the same time I wouldn't expect a singer to sound exactly like they do on record; I think there's certain allowances you can make for live performance.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

That's a good question and I'm not really sure what the answer would be. I suppose if someone holds themself out as a professional singer you should be able to reasonably expect a certain degree of ability, but at the same time I wouldn't expect a singer to sound exactly like they do on record; I think there's certain allowances you can make for live performance.

Oh by all means I'm not expecting opera, just… I don't know… mostly on-key and not totally out of breath during long notes.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Bangerz is streaming online. It's much better than I thought it would be!

4x4 is one of the weirdest pop songs I've heard in a while and includes the line "driving so fast, 'bout to piss on myself". Unironically loving it. The bonus tracks are also quite nice.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006

nyquil hangover posted:

Bangerz is streaming online. It's much better than I thought it would be!

4x4 is one of the weirdest pop songs I've heard in a while and includes the line "driving so fast, 'bout to piss on myself". Unironically loving it. The bonus tracks are also quite nice.

Keeping the twang in her voice on some of these tracks is one of the most inspired production decisions in a while.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I am underwhelmed by the Lorde record.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Britney teaching the lessers how to make a pop video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt8VYOfr8To

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

beergod posted:

I am underwhelmed by the Lorde record.

Any reason? Not what you were expecting or just bad? I may be biased as she's from my town but I still think there are some great tracks on there. 400lux and Buzzcut Season I can barely get enough of.

Edit: terrible iPhone typoes

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

somnambulist posted:

Yeah that's awesome. She looks incredible, and that video actually makes the song better.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I enjoyed the Britney video.

Bangerz is a loving mess. I like it.

E - Although it's weird how she was like "Every song is going to be a banger that's why it's Bangerz" and it really isn't.

Sprat Sandwich fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 2, 2013

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

somnambulist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt8VYOfr8To

That is a surprisingly good pop video, but that song is still horrible. I'm starting to think that song which she made for The Smurfs movie would actually be a far better choice for lead single :v:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Stalins Moustache posted:

That is a surprisingly good pop video, but that song is still horrible. I'm starting to think that song which she made for The Smurfs movie would actually be a far better choice for lead single :v:

Totally agreed. I hate the song. I hope the album is good, William Orbit has some tracks on it, I really like his touch on pop music.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I'm not sure if they're the correct genre, but I think they're pop enough:

I really like the The Naked and Famous' new album, In Rolling Waves. It's not as strong and packed with awesome hits as the previous album, but the songs Hearts like Ours and I Kill Giants are incredibly good. The music video for Hearts like Ours (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqUJdcCjUIA ) is pretty cool, too. Anyone else a fan of these guys? I think I'm gonna see them in november.

Oh, and here's a killer perfomance of Hearts like Ours https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1kjR4D6ghs.

If you hadn't noticed, Tegan and Sara recently released a new video for their song Goodbye, Goodbye (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjgDuImuD_4). I'm not sure if it was a good choice for a single, but it could be because I just love the song Drove me Wild from their newest album. Overall I'm impressed by their transition from somewhat pop-ish indie music to almost pure pop on Heartthrob. It's such an awesome album.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Oh poo poo, did Royals just #1? Fuckin' called it!

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

Oh poo poo, did Royals just #1? Fuckin' called it!

Yea youngest to do so since Tiffany back in the yesteryears

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spiteski posted:

Yea youngest to do so since Tiffany back in the yesteryears

The all-time youngest is Stevie Wonder, isn't it? Nobody's touching that any time soon, so it's still an impressive achievement.

I like the song a lot but I haven't heard anything else from Lorde yet.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
Public service announcement: Miley Cyrus is hosting SNL tomorrow.

I think she'll do well. She has really good comic timing. I hope she doesn't do We Can't Stop, I don't like that song. Maybe she'll perform SMS and Wrecking Ball? A girl can dream...

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

nyquil hangover posted:

Public service announcement: Miley Cyrus is hosting SNL tomorrow.

I think she'll do well. She has really good comic timing. I hope she doesn't do We Can't Stop, I don't like that song. Maybe she'll perform SMS and Wrecking Ball? A girl can dream...

In the continued bi-polar nature of Miley, she'll do Wrecking Ball first, then close out the show with her cover of Jolene...while Jay Pharoah and Bobby Moynihan do interpretive dance in the background. That seems the most likely.

For content, here's "Wrecking Ball" mashed up with Mumford's "Little Lion Man" to show that, really, Wrecking Ball is a pretty enjoyable song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gDlA_8k7n4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mogran
Jun 25, 2011
This track got the Mike Jack treatment and I like it.

Jhameel - Feisty (Blue Satellite Remix)