Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
I doubt their heuristic is tuned to distinguish between different masterings. There are so many "secret" remasterings out there, especially on popular pre- and early-CD-era stuff, that rejecting them due to mastering differences would make it look like the match algorithm was utterly worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I've had this problem for a while and am getting tired of it. My TV Shows list only shows episodes downloaded to my hard drive, where before it had a list of greyed-out previous purchases in iCloud that I could directly download or stream from there. For several months now, these no longer appear, and while there's supposed to be an option to enable iCloud downloads in the Store tab of Preferences, it's not there. I've closed and restarted several times and just updated as well, and still no sign. Is this something that Apple will ever fix?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I doubt their heuristic is tuned to distinguish between different masterings. There are so many "secret" remasterings out there, especially on popular pre- and early-CD-era stuff, that rejecting them due to mastering differences would make it look like the match algorithm was utterly worthless.

I dunno, it differentiated between the original Pretty Hate Machine and the 2010 remaster with no problem.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Sigma posted:

Also, it is pretty easy to see what is matched and what is uploaded by using smart playlists:

That works, but if you don't want to mess with playlists you can also display the "iCloud Status" column in Song view.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

withak posted:

Or $25 for your entire collection if you use iTunes Match, right? Shouldn't deleting your local copy and letting Match re-download it give you the DRM-free version?
This is an older post now and Match sounds like a better alternative, but I just wanted to mention the dirty way to get a DRM free version of something you bought on Itunes when they still had DRM songs: burn it to a CD (assuming your computer still has a CD burner :corsair:) then rip that CD back into Itunes. Oh the wonders of DRM :psyduck: It's kinda a pain in the rear end but another option to convert a small collection.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
The problem with that method is you're making the sound quality worse by doing a lossy transcode of a lossy transcode.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Unless you re-rip as ALAC or something.

Did this a few times a long time ago :shepface:

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
iTunes Match only works for music, right, and not TV Shows/Movies?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mentholmoose posted:

iTunes Match only works for music, right, and not TV Shows/Movies?

Yeah.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Now that I've up(?)graded to iOS7, iTunes crashes if I click the podcasts tab on my iPhone. The bar at the bottom is still showing a lot of audio even if I remove all my usual music playlists, but the Podcasts app (sigh) on the phone doesn't contain anything. I'm not using iCloud synching or any of that jazz. Any ideas?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there any way (yet) to consolidate purchases on iTunes?

I bought a much of music on Account A (back in DRM and no re-download days).

When I bought an iPhone in 2009 I made Account B, as my email had changed. Bought a bunch of Apps and basically made everything iCloud with it.

Is there a way to get Apple to transfers purchased music from my old to new account? I know it's not typically in their policy, but I've heard of some feats of customer service magic Apple has done over the years and wondered if someone had advice? Maybe a way to get them to delete the old account and credit the new one or something?

edit: I know about iTunes Match and such, I want it all on one account for simplicities sake (plus I have video content). This was all pre-iCloud, pre "AppleID linking for everything".

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Itunes just went berserk and deleted everything from my library, I spent many hours putting music in there and fixing everything.

:negative:

What would be the most painless method of putting it all back in and having it fix itself up?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
One of these days I'll have smart playlists with live updating working again. I have a few smart playlists but only one of them actually live updates. This has been going on since iOS 5 :(

Also, was hoping the new update would at least fix iTunes occasionally not reading my iphone, asking me to restore it. Nothing's wrong with the phone and reconnecting it gets it to work again.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I'm not sure if this is better asked in the OS X thread but does the new file tagging system that's coming in Mavericks work in iTunes? I have a feeling it doesn't, which is a pity because I'd use the hell out of it for smart playlists (I've been doing pretty clunky overkill stuff like adding countries to tracks using the Composer field for a while now). Play me all Scottish pop songs with a female singer from 1990 goddammit.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there any way (yet) to consolidate purchases on iTunes?

I bought a much of music on Account A (back in DRM and no re-download days).

When I bought an iPhone in 2009 I made Account B, as my email had changed. Bought a bunch of Apps and basically made everything iCloud with it.

Is there a way to get Apple to transfers purchased music from my old to new account? I know it's not typically in their policy, but I've heard of some feats of customer service magic Apple has done over the years and wondered if someone had advice? Maybe a way to get them to delete the old account and credit the new one or something?

edit: I know about iTunes Match and such, I want it all on one account for simplicities sake (plus I have video content). This was all pre-iCloud, pre "AppleID linking for everything".

Try the customer service approach, but they're probably going to ask why you created two accounts.

Other options:

Sign up for iTunes Match on Account A, delete all your DRM copies, redownload non-DRM copies, transfer those files over to Account B? Alternatively, burn the music you have on Account A to audio CDs, re-rip them into Account B, optionally buy iTunes Match for Account B, delete the ripped copies, download the iTunes store versions?

Beware of DRMed songs that aren't in Apple's library anymore; I still have a number of DRMed files I can't get a match of.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

bowmore posted:

Itunes just went berserk and deleted everything from my library, I spent many hours putting music in there and fixing everything.

:negative:

What would be the most painless method of putting it all back in and having it fix itself up?
If you had backups, restore your iTunes folder found in your Music folder. If not, welp.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

fordan posted:

Try the customer service approach, but they're probably going to ask why you created two accounts.

Other options:

Sign up for iTunes Match on Account A, delete all your DRM copies, redownload non-DRM copies, transfer those files over to Account B? Alternatively, burn the music you have on Account A to audio CDs, re-rip them into Account B, optionally buy iTunes Match for Account B, delete the ripped copies, download the iTunes store versions?

Beware of DRMed songs that aren't in Apple's library anymore; I still have a number of DRMed files I can't get a match of.
Does Match seriously keep DRM?

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 4, 2013

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
So, I've got a lot of audiobooks. Is there a way to move just my audiobooks to a different location, but to do this in bulk? Like, I want to move the audiobooks folder I have in my iTunes Music folder to an external drive, and then tell iTunes, "yo, all my audiobooks are here now."

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Mooktastical posted:

Does Match seriously keep DRM?

Match will match DRM files, and if it's in the store, you'll be able to delete your local copy and download a 256 kbps unprotected copy. But if the track isn't still in the store, it gets more interesting. It'll upload the 128kbps protected aac file to Match and that's what you'll download on to your other instances of iTunes and your devices.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Tenterhooks posted:

I'm not sure if this is better asked in the OS X thread but does the new file tagging system that's coming in Mavericks work in iTunes? I have a feeling it doesn't, which is a pity because I'd use the hell out of it for smart playlists (I've been doing pretty clunky overkill stuff like adding countries to tracks using the Composer field for a while now). Play me all Scottish pop songs with a female singer from 1990 goddammit.

iTunes knows nothing about tags.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Armitage posted:

One of these days I'll have smart playlists with live updating working again. I have a few smart playlists but only one of them actually live updates. This has been going on since iOS 5 :(

Also, was hoping the new update would at least fix iTunes occasionally not reading my iphone, asking me to restore it. Nothing's wrong with the phone and reconnecting it gets it to work again.

and I'm still getting stuck on "preparing to update" for a long time on occasion. :psyduck:

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I can't get new playlists I create on my desktop in iTunes to sync with my iphone. I'm using iTunes Match and everything is turned on. I've trying turning if off / on, but still same issue. It syncs new songs I add to my library just fine, but doesn't do playlists. Any ideas?

Edit: of course as soon as I post this I figure it out. For some reason my iTunes Match wasn't turned on my desktop. Feel like a dummy. Carry on folks!

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Hey guys - I'll try to make this short. I recently had to get a new PC since my old one died. I was able to salvage the hard drives, though, which are now connected as secondary drives alongside my new main drive.

I want to set up iTunes on the new drive, with all the music carried over from the iTunes folder on the old system - and preferably the old library/playlist data, too. Is there a way I can import both the library and the music at the same time, or do I have to start a new library and just copy my music over?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I believe what you want to do is to let it create a new library, quit iTunes, and then replace the contents of the iTunes folder that was just created with the contents of your old one. Assuming all your music and the iTunes library files are there, you should have everything back to the way it used to be.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Diabolik900 posted:

I believe what you want to do is to let it create a new library, quit iTunes, and then replace the contents of the iTunes folder that was just created with the contents of your old one. Assuming all your music and the iTunes library files are there, you should have everything back to the way it used to be.

Might it not freak out that the music isn't the exact same folders it used to be?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I was assuming you let iTunes manage the folder structure before, which might have been a bad assumption. If iTunes managed it, then the music should all be inside the iTunes folder and everything will work fine.

If you managed it manually, things get trickier. I've never done it this way so I can't be completely sure how it will work, but I believe all your library information will be there, but it won't be able to find any of the files when you try to play them. When it tells you it can't find a track, you could point it to the right place, but you'd have to do it for every single track. I think the best bet would be to make sure everything is in the same locations they were in on the old computer, in which case I think it will "just work".

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you move the libraries over it may "freak" when it can't find the music. And by that it will just ask you where that particular song is. Or you could go into the settings and tell it "my music library is now located here", and if the file structure is the same in that folder as it was in the old location it should just work again.

Then you could change the folder to where you want it to be if you wanted to move it, and then tell iTunes to "Organize Library" under the File menu (under Library).

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm probably super late on this but did 11.1 add growl style notifications to iTunes, or have those already been there?

Or are those part of Bowtie that I've had installed forever and I simply haven't noticed it until just now?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Yeah it added notifications.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hate iTunes so much.

1. The sort order for playlists is different on Mac and iOS. I use stars a poor man's way of updating playlists on iOS. On Mac, something like "★★★ (Good Stuff)" is at the top of the list because of the special characters. On iOS, leading special characters are ignored, and it is sorted with the Gs. I have to jump through all kinds of goddamn hoops to make my names such that playlists are in the same order on Mac an IOS.

2. iCloud will not sync smart playlists that reference other smart playlists. For the longest time, that would just silently fail. Then one day I got an error message explaining this to me. Now it looks like it's back to silently failing again.

3. iTunes Match replaced my music with "clean" versions of the same track, even though I'm pretty sure I enabled the "explicit" on all my devices. With two Macs, an iPhone, and an iPad, I'm sure I missed a setting somewhere though!

I don't so much have a question as I just want to bitch about iTunes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you have track names like "★★★ (Good Stuff)" then you deserve whatever problems iTunes throws at you.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

withak posted:

If you have track names like "★★★ (Good Stuff)" then you deserve whatever problems iTunes throws at you.

It looks like he was saying the playlists are called that.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

withak posted:

Those are the playlist names. I use stars because they seem to be the "easiest" way to manage songs on iOS devices. If you're curious, I use five stars for tracks that are most in my head at the moment, then I bump them down to four stars once they get stale. I use three stars for tracks I should listen to again. Every few months or so, I spend some time in iTunes sorting things into manual playlists. The stars help me keep things organized in the interim, though.

brains
May 12, 2004

can anyone talk me through how to setup itunes so that when it syncs my iphone it updates only selected playlists AND autofills empty space on the phone with extra songs AND reserves extra space? because jesus christ, just getting the settings for autofill to even loving appear at all is a goddamn nightmare.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

brains posted:

can anyone talk me through how to setup itunes so that when it syncs my iphone it updates only selected playlists AND autofills empty space on the phone with extra songs AND reserves extra space? because jesus christ, just getting the settings for autofill to even loving appear at all is a goddamn nightmare.

Could you make one extra playlist that is basically "select songs at random" and limit it to whatever extra amount of gigs you want? Maybe include perimeters that basically say "song is NOT in playlist x/y/z"?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Kobayashi posted:

Those are the playlist names. I use stars because they seem to be the "easiest" way to manage songs on iOS devices. If you're curious, I use five stars for tracks that are most in my head at the moment, then I bump them down to four stars once they get stale. I use three stars for tracks I should listen to again. Every few months or so, I spend some time in iTunes sorting things into manual playlists. The stars help me keep things organized in the interim, though.

Try "*** (Good Stuff)" instead.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
My Win7 iTunes installation seems to be hosed, and I've barely used it. I installed it several months ago when I got my new laptop, and added a few albums to the library so I could play them while using VLC for something else. Now it won't connect to the store, check for updates, or allow me to sign in to the store. I get different errors that all amount to "check your network settings."

I have a 5S coming Monday, so I decided today would be a good day to backup get my 4S synched with iTunes so I can backup/restore locally rather than having to wait on my lovely internet to do it via iCloud. I had to update iTunes, so I decided to uninstall/reinstall in the hope that it would fix the problems it has connecting to the internet. It didn't.

My 4S is backing up now, but I'm worried that since iTunes can't see the internet it won't let me activate and restore the backup onto my 5S. So far I've:

- Checked that iTunes and Bonjour service are allowed in the Windows firewall
- Checked the hosts file, even though I've never done any jailbreaking on this computer I figured I would check
- Uninstalled/reinstalled iTunes

What else can I try?

Edit: well it says it's backing up but it's been at "estimating time remaining..." for about 20 minutes now. :(

Edit2: This article fixed my connection issue, after I uninstalled every piece of Apple software and reinstalled iTunes again. Hopefully this will fix the backup stuff too.

EC fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 13, 2013

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is iTunes Match buggy for everyone, or just me? On my Mac, it just breaks regularly, like every month or so, and says I need to sign out and back in and reenable Match.

Maybe I just need to start over or something, since this library is from ages ago.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

brains posted:

You can't tell it to reserve extra space directly. The trick is smart playlists.

You just need a smart playlist with whatever criteria you pick (mine just randomly grabs stuff I've rated 5 stars) but cap it. 5 gigs? 4? Just be aware of how much space you have left.

Alternately, have a final smart playlist, which is the only playlist you actually sync from, which pulls from the aforementioned playlists. Cap that at whatever desired amount. This advice dumb, cause you don't get the playlists, just the songs.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've been using iTunes for a long time and have rated 1000s of songs and have everything organised nicely, but as my 4th iPod has died, and a replacement here in South America would be horrifically expensive, I'm picking up a Sansa Clip. What can I do to be able to use this library with my Sansa?