Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eustachy
May 7, 2013
I read a story about this guy whose job was to take control over the situation during maritime disasters or something, he gets called any time, goes all over the world, fixes everything like a movie character. Does that sound familiar to anybody or did I dream that? I wanna know who it was and read that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
I'm changing cell phone plans, and this has led me to reconsider my internet service as well. I asked at Verizon (my cell phone place) and they said that they could get me Xfinity (which I believe is by Comcast) for about $10 a month more than what I have now (after the half-price introductory period) but with a significantly faster connection. Are they really likely to be that much faster? I just ran a speed test that reported 0.88Mbps download and 0.57Mbps upload with my current plan, but I've no idea if that's good or bad in the overall scheme of things. Also, if it turns out that Comcast is a company to avoid for some reason that would be good to know, too.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Eustachy posted:

I read a story about this guy whose job was to take control over the situation during maritime disasters or something, he gets called any time, goes all over the world, fixes everything like a movie character. Does that sound familiar to anybody or did I dream that? I wanna know who it was and read that again.

There's this wired article?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gobbeldygook posted:

Horrifying things

:stare: This is one of the most horrifyingly intriguing things I've read in a while. I would dread going to sleep every single night if this were the case for me. To me it sounds like your fears are actively coming to life in your own mind. I'd be interested in hearing more about this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Golden_Zucchini posted:

I'm changing cell phone plans, and this has led me to reconsider my internet service as well. I asked at Verizon (my cell phone place) and they said that they could get me Xfinity (which I believe is by Comcast) for about $10 a month more than what I have now (after the half-price introductory period) but with a significantly faster connection. Are they really likely to be that much faster? I just ran a speed test that reported 0.88Mbps download and 0.57Mbps upload with my current plan, but I've no idea if that's good or bad in the overall scheme of things. Also, if it turns out that Comcast is a company to avoid for some reason that would be good to know, too.

It sounds like you're currently using a low end DSL connection, so yes Comcast cable is going to be a whole lot faster.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

:stare: This is one of the most horrifyingly intriguing things I've read in a while. I would dread going to sleep every single night if this were the case for me. To me it sounds like your fears are actively coming to life in your own mind. I'd be interested in hearing more about this.

Do some reading on hypnogogia. It's pretty much the explanation for almost all alien abductions/incubi/succubi/etc.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I have a friend who has a crazy religious family, and he's been experiencing sleep paralysis a lot lately. They pretty much have him convinced demons are after him and he needs to repent or whatever. I tried explaining to him what it was, but he usually just says "But I was awake!" Well, yeah. Of course you feel/ are half-awake, that's what makes it scary. I don't want to go euphoric atheist on him, but I don't want him to be afraid of demons either.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Install Windows posted:

It sounds like you're currently using a low end DSL connection, so yes Comcast cable is going to be a whole lot faster.

That makes sense. I was significantly poorer when I signed up with my current ISP so I likely went for the cheaper option at the time. It's been several years so I don't really remember what I signed up at this point. Thanks!

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Xfinity is indeed Comcast, so it sounds like they have a claim on your area if Verizon is suggesting them. This is anecdotal, but I've heard that cable speeds depend on how many people are using the line. The more people living around you with Comcast, the less likely you are to get full speeds. I live in the middle of nowhere, I almost always get my full speed. If I'm wrong about this, someone please correct me!

Comcast has actually been pretty good, with a few missteps. When Comcast got rid of the internet plan we were on, they upgraded us to the next level for no additional cost. Woo, going from 25mbit to 50mbit! But when our Cable Modem was having problems, we found out that not only was it dying but that it was so old that the local office didn't even have the model number listed anymore. So you'll have to keep on top of that and make sure your stuff doesn't get End-of-Life'd without you realizing it.

In some areas, they have bandwidth caps, which will possibly be going everywhere in the next few years. They had them for everyone before at 250GB a month, but it was removed a yearish ago. So be wary about signing long term contracts if you use a load of bandwidth per month (Netflix and other streaming services, game downloads, etc...)

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

BlazinLow305 posted:

I have a friend who has a crazy religious family, and he's been experiencing sleep paralysis a lot lately. They pretty much have him convinced demons are after him and he needs to repent or whatever. I tried explaining to him what it was, but he usually just says "But I was awake!" Well, yeah. Of course you feel/ are half-awake, that's what makes it scary. I don't want to go euphoric atheist on him, but I don't want him to be afraid of demons either.

There is a film on netflix called come sleepwalk with me, or similar. It is kind of the opposite where this guy has these same nightmare but he is running around.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
To the dude with sleep paralysis, as a kid and well into adulthood I had mostly bad dreams (80%+) and would dream nearly every night.

They stopped as soon as I began doing yoga (or later meditation) a few years ago when I was 25.

It seems for me anxiety was the trigger. I have never had issues falling asleep or staying asleep FWIW.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
How do you re-download music from Bandcamp that you've already purchased?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm looking for an anti fog solution for my eyeglasses. I'm playing sports outside and getting rained on 70% of the time. I've tried a lot of the easy home ideas like soap, shaving cream and shampoo but nothing has worked particularly well. There's like 100 million sprays and wipes on the market, I was wondering if anybody knows of one that works?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

hooah posted:

When did morning radio shows become popular (the kind where you have 2-4 people talking about stupid poo poo between the songs), and why do they almost universally suck?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morning_zoo

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thanks, that's somewhat helpful, although it doesn't explain why there are so loving many of them on the radio nobody I know who's mentioned them (granted, not very many people) think they're entertaining at all. Hell, I usually listen to NPR in the morning specifically to avoid this kind of poo poo.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

hooah posted:

Thanks, that's somewhat helpful, although it doesn't explain why there are so loving many of them on the radio nobody I know who's mentioned them (granted, not very many people) think they're entertaining at all. Hell, I usually listen to NPR in the morning specifically to avoid this kind of poo poo.

Those shows are designed for idiots and most people are idiots.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Wolfy posted:

I'm looking for an anti fog solution for my eyeglasses. I'm playing sports outside and getting rained on 70% of the time. I've tried a lot of the easy home ideas like soap, shaving cream and shampoo but nothing has worked particularly well. There's like 100 million sprays and wipes on the market, I was wondering if anybody knows of one that works?

Try cat crap.
http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/623337/ek-ekcessories-cat-crap-anti-fog-lens-cleaner

EvilMayo fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 30, 2013

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

There is a film on netflix called come sleepwalk with me, or similar. It is kind of the opposite where this guy has these same nightmare but he is running around.

The guy who wrote and acts in the movie is Mike Birbiglia. He told the story on This American Life on how he nearly killed himself sleepwalking by jumping out of a second floor window.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/361/fear-of-sleep

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If I take a photo with my smartphone sideways, it appears like it's properly oriented, i.e. the floor is on the bottom. But, it actually saves the image sideways (i.e. floor is on the left side, people are sideways) along with some meta-info that says "btw rotate this image +90 degrees." That way, when I open it in some viewer, even though the image file is rotated wrong (floor on the left), the viewer knows to rotate it to the right spot and displays it right (floor on the bottom).
BTW I'm using Android, but I know other phone OSs do the same thing.

But not all image viewer programs know to rotate it. For example, if it's an email attachment and I'm on a computer, the gmail preview shows it properly oriented, but opening the image in the browser shows it all sideways.

Is there any way to automatically rotate the image properly, and delete the meta-info about rotation, when saving a new image? (Or some app that monitors for new pictures and automatically does that operation)
That way, every image viewer program will be happy.

Also, why do they do it this way? What is the advantage of storing it sideways+meta-info, rather than just rotating it and saving it thusly? I really can't imagine an advantage.

also also, I know you can manually remove the meta-info and rotate it yourself, but that's annoying to do every time

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

alnilam posted:

Also, why do they do it this way? What is the advantage of storing it sideways+meta-info, rather than just rotating it and saving it thusly? I really can't imagine an advantage.
Due to the way JPEGs are saved, rotating the image is lossy operation. Saving it with rotation metadata gives a more accurate representation, not that it really matters on lovely cell phone cameras.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

There is a way to losslessly rotate jpegs. At least, Irfanview claims to do it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Does business casual constitute a tie?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Johnny Truant posted:

Nope! That's pretty much the clearest dividing line I can think of, in fact.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

It really depends on the industry, but generally I would think no. Buttonup with an open collar and a sportcoat will generally work fine. Although around here, I see a lot of Khaki and polos at business casual events.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
When attending an interview for internal promotions, even in a small company in which everyone wears business casual at best, it'd still be wise to wear a suit to said interview, right?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

Experto Crede posted:

When attending an interview for internal promotions, even in a small company in which everyone wears business casual at best, it'd still be wise to wear a suit to said interview, right?

Yes. Dress for your bosses job or a suit and tie, whichever is fancier. Unless this is a <10 person business in which case wear what your boss wears.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Yes. Dress for your bosses job or a suit and tie, whichever is fancier. Unless this is a <10 person business in which case wear what your boss wears.

Yeah. The rule-of-thumb that I generally follow is "one step fancier than your interviewer." If you expect your fanciest interviewer will be wearing jeans and a t-shirt, nice jeans and a shirt with buttons is appropriate. If your interviewer is wearing business casual, make sure you've got a sport jacket and tie. If your interviewer is wearing a suit and tie... uh, you've probably topped out. Don't wear a tuxedo.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What about something like a career gallery (career fair)? I went to a resume workshop they other night and the guy said that the pre-gallery (focusing on internships and co-ops) will be business casual, which was a shirt and tie according to him. Other opinions?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

hooah posted:

What about something like a career gallery (career fair)? I went to a resume workshop they other night and the guy said that the pre-gallery (focusing on internships and co-ops) will be business casual, which was a shirt and tie according to him. Other opinions?

Listen to the guy who has done this.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there a program out there that can let me open and edit .docx files? I need to file an accident form with my job and they sent it as a .docx file, and they're off their loving nut if they think I'm going to throw down 100 bucks for something I'll never use outside of this situation.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Leal posted:

Is there a program out there that can let me open and edit .docx files? I need to file an accident form with my job and they sent it as a .docx file, and they're off their loving nut if they think I'm going to throw down 100 bucks for something I'll never use outside of this situation.

Wordpad if you're on Windows, OpenOffice on other platforms.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Leal posted:

With your job? I can't imagine that they wouldn't give you the resources for this. If nothing else they can send it as another document type or a hard copy to fax or mail. If you're an independent contractor send them an invoice for the program. If they're still assholes about it send a handwritten or typed and signed document. They will take it.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Leal posted:

Google Docs will import it. :)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

:psyduck: The gently caress? I swore I tried this and all it did was give me a pad full of a bunch of gibberish.

EDIT: Yeah its all good. So much trouble for pinching my fingers, a simple "No really. I just needed some ice" on the phone wasn't good enough

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 1, 2013

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

hooah posted:

Yeah, for a career fair you want to be dressed like you're prepared for an impromptu interview. And that includes a tie, a matching dress shirt, and some ironed slacks with a crease. That's pretty much the bare minimum you have to wear for an interview.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 1, 2013

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

These days it's LibreOffice :eng101:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
What's a good air filter/purifier to help with cat allergies? Do any of them help at all?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

moana posted:

What's a good air filter/purifier to help with cat allergies? Do any of them help at all?

Ask here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734407&pagenumber=213&perpage=40

How big is your house?
Rent or own?
Budget?

I use an AirBair filter that is merv11 and is 5 inches deep to allow enough surface area for no reduction in airflow. Without fail when my wife's allergies act up it is time to change the filter (6mo.)

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
When I was younger there was Vics medicated ointment. It looked exactly like Vics, but it was brown. GIS isn't helping me but I know it was a real product because we used it all the time. Nobody else remembers it but me. Am I crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

:psyduck: The gently caress? I swore I tried this and all it did was give me a pad full of a bunch of gibberish.

EDIT: Yeah its all good. So much trouble for pinching my fingers, a simple "No really. I just needed some ice" on the phone wasn't good enough

Is it possible you tried opening it in notepad the first time? That would probably result in something like what you described.