Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

I think the new Tomb Raider follows the Metroidvania archetype pretty well.
Seconding this. It's a beautiful game besides, and I'm sure you'll love how much there is to collect :v:

Also check out the indie game Aquaria. Even if you haven't played it yet, chances are you've gotten it in one bundle or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Looking for visual novel PC games of a decent length that are similar to http://dysfunctionalsystems.com/ nothing overtly eroge.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cantorsdust posted:

I think the new Tomb Raider follows the Metroidvania archetype pretty well.

Really? No one seemed to have mentioned it anywhere else, but Wikipedia seems to confirm as much. I'll have to look into it.
metroidmetroidmetroidmetroidmetroidmetroidmetroidmetroidMETROID!!!

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

Really? No one seemed to have mentioned it anywhere else, but Wikipedia seems to confirm as much. I'll have to look into it.
Yup, insofar as it features exploration and occasional backtracking through areas that require upgrades gained elsewhere. It's a fine game, all told.

My recent go-to games with Metroidvania elements are 'The Swapper' and 'Waking Mars.' They're both sci-fi puzzle games; the former an atmospheric, claymation animated game concerned with swapping your consciousness between multiple copies of your blindly following bodies in order to progress through a derelict space station; the latter about restoring an underground Martian ecosystem by finding and planting different kinds of alien life forms, and discovering the secrets of the life on Mars.

Quite recently there's also been 'Rogue Legacy' and 'Guacamelee,' games focused more on combat. I would argue that while its map is more obtuse, 'Fez' also fits the Metroidvania bill well enough.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of Diablo 3, is there much out there in the way of popular online games in that style of 'murder loot pinatas of varying difficulty (preferably not too easy)' besides Diablo 3 itself? I enjoyed that to a point, though no where near as much as D2--I don't think anything's hitting that combination of 'addictive' and 'I'm not an adult' ever again, never mind the various problems D3 had/has. :v:

Yes, Diablo 2.5 I mean Path of Exile, you should check that out.

Sonseray
Apr 15, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Metroidvanias.

GIMME GIMME GIMME.

Ghoul School for the NES, Demon's Crest for the SNES, Aria of Sorrow for the GBA, Tomba/Tombi one and two and Symphony of the Night for the PSX, Eternal Daughter, An Untitled Story, Bunny Must Die, and Guacamelee for the PC, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia for the DS), and finally Okami for the Wii.

Hope this helps.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

It's less of a pure Metroidvania than other titles, but it still kind of fits.

Seconding Aquaria, also check out Eternal Daughter, a freeware Metroidvania made by one of the same guys as Aquaria.

Dark Souls also fits the Metroidvania mold remarkably well.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
You probably have heard of this already, but nonetheless, Cave Story. It's fantastic and has been ported over to the Wii I think, but the original PC version should still be free. A great game and pretty fun.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
If we're stretching Metroidvania to include third-person games, it is worth noting that Darksiders and Darksiders 2 are basically big Metroidvania games, at least as much as Tomb Raider - big worlds, interconnected thematic areas, equipment/skill upgrades/unlocks to enable progression through previously inaccessible areas.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sonseray posted:

Ghoul School for the NES, Demon's Crest for the SNES, Aria of Sorrow for the GBA, Tomba/Tombi one and two and Symphony of the Night for the PSX, Eternal Daughter, An Untitled Story, Bunny Must Die, and Guacamelee for the PC, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia for the DS), and finally Okami for the Wii.

Hope this helps.

Everyone interested in platforming/Metroidvania style games should do themselves a favour and play Demon's Crest. What a loving great game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Trees and Squids posted:

Everyone interested in platforming/Metroidvania style games should do themselves a favour and play Demon's Crest. What a loving great game.

Yeah, that's a top shelf metroidvania for sure. It's hard as gently caress, too.

Can we list games that are very much like Metroidvanias but don't necessarily include power-up based progression? If so, I throw Legacy of the Wizard and Maze of Galious into the mix.

One you'll really like, and actually fits your description well enough, is Clash At Demonhead.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Oops. Meant to post this in this thread.

quote:

Looking for good couch co-op type games to play with my six year old daughter. She loves loves loves Battleblock Theater, and we had a lot of fun with Castle Crashers. She didn't take to Minecraft quite as well as I thought she might, but she likes it well enough. Happy Wars was a hit, but we've only got the one Xbox, so that doesn't quite cut it. Oddly enough, despite her love of LEGOs and superheroes, the LEGO games never really clicked for the two of us. She also liked The Simpsons arcade game, but man does that get dull in a hurry.

Violence is okay, as long as it's more the silly, cartoonish, and relatively bloodless variety. Someone suggested Viva Pinata, but I hear it might be a bit complicated for a little kid.

And I mean, the kid REALLY loves Battleblock. She asked for a freaking Hatty Hattington cake for her birthday.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DangerDummy! posted:

Sonic All-Stars Racing: Transformed has full co-op for the campaign mode and racing cups. Rayman Legends is also good simple cartoony platforming fun.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sonseray posted:

Okami for the Wii.

Hope this helps.

Cuntpunch posted:

If we're stretching Metroidvania to include third-person games, it is worth noting that Darksiders and Darksiders 2 are basically big Metroidvania games, at least as much as Tomb Raider - big worlds, interconnected thematic areas, equipment/skill upgrades/unlocks to enable progression through previously inaccessible areas.

I think you guys are crossing your Nintendo game wires, Metroid and Zelda were different games :v:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Got about $10 steambucks to play around with, someone recommend me something (or somethings) decent.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

DangerDummy! posted:

Kind of hard, but let's see.

Gaucamelee, though I'm not sure if that's PS only. It's a beat em up metroidvania where you're a luchador who needs to save the girl.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, not sure on the appropriateness of this, but if she liked Castle Crashers, she might like more beat em ups.

Could always give Terraria a try. The graphics might appeal to her more than Minecraft.

RickVoid posted:

Got about $10 steambucks to play around with, someone recommend me something (or somethings) decent.

Anything more specific than $10? Cause you can buy two copies of Bad Rats for that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think you guys are crossing your Nintendo game wires, Metroid and Zelda were different games :v:

Everyone should play Okami :colbert:.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Everyone should play Okami :colbert:.

Okami was pretty awesome. I wanna play the HD version on PS3 but I'm waiting in case it goes free.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of Diablo 3, is there much out there in the way of popular online games in that style of 'murder loot pinatas of varying difficulty (preferably not too easy)' besides Diablo 3 itself? I enjoyed that to a point, though no where near as much as D2--I don't think anything's hitting that combination of 'addictive' and 'I'm not an adult' ever again, never mind the various problems D3 had/has. :v:

Path of Exile is a great F2P Diablo-style game. There's also Marvel Heroes if you like comics.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yeah, that's a top shelf metroidvania for sure. It's hard as gently caress, too.

Not nearly as hard as the main Ghouls'n Ghosts series though.

God I thought I was the only one who liked Demon's Crest, or the old Gargoyle's Quest games.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Not as far as I'm concerned. Zeldalikes are cool too. Power-up based progression is all I care about. It's all I want. my personal heaven would be an infinite number of Metroidvania games as good as, but distinct from, Super Metroid.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Valdis Story is a Metroidvania with really excellent combat that just came out recently. It's been Greenlit if you're a Steam diehard. There's a thread about it here.

Laughing_Stock
Jun 19, 2008

ShadowMoo posted:

Looking for visual novel PC games of a decent length that are similar to http://dysfunctionalsystems.com/ nothing overtly eroge.

Have you given "Analogue: A Hate Story" a try? The sequel Hate Plus is out now too, though I haven't played it yet.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
What's a game that's brutally realistic nation strategy like the paradox games, but which you can play from a 'blank slate' where all the nations start off the same and inequality develops from there (alt. where positions start slanted but it's entirely realistic to go from the weakest to one of the strongest, if excruciatingly difficult.)

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Look to play an RPG that has online coop. Not really looking for an MMO, something more like Neverwinter Nights is what I'm thinking.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Any recommendations for online coop ps3 games? I got a friend I'd like to play games with but most games I think of when I think "Online" is call of duty and she isn't really into shooters. She's more into RPGs, isn't interested in FF14 though cause an MMO would be too much of a time investment.

I'm thinking of Peace Walker just cause of all the cheesiness you expect from a Kojima game, but other then that I'm kinda stumped. She isn't too interested in the Dynasty Warriors games which is really the only other PS3 online coop game I got.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

DoctorWhat posted:

Metroidvanias. Give me a big loving list of Metroidvanias. Don't bother asking me what ones I've played or haven't played give me them all.

NOTE: Wii/WiiU/3DS/DS/GBA/GBC/PC only thanks in advance, but if it can be emulated on one of those systems one way or another then go hog wild.

This INCLUDES Banjo-Kazooie type collect-a-thons. ANY GAME with power-up-based progression. It can be linear as all hell "under the hood" as long it has a completion percentage and the illusion (if not reality) of choice. Sequence breaking is a plus.

GIMME GIMME GIMME.

For the PC, La-Mulana and Knytt Stories/Within a Deep Forest. I've also played a bit of Treasure Adventure Game although I think I got a bit stuck and gave up on it.

I also played (don't laugh) Daniel X: The Ultimate Power when I was on a Metroidvania kick, which was surprisingly solid if a little easy.

I'm also looking for Metroidvanias. This is extremely specific, but I'd really like a 2D fantasy themed (like Zelda) Metroidvania with a good mix of puzzles and combat. I'm going to try Demon's Crest as that sounds promising, but any other ideas are very welcome.

Edit: Ys Origins is also a pretty good kind-of Metroidvania although it's less backtracky than most of them.

Aston fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 2, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
EDIT: /\ Maybe Ittle Dew? It's not terribly long but quite good with a focus on puzzles. It seems to be going in bundles lately so you should be able to find it cheap.

Leal posted:

Any recommendations for online coop ps3 games? I got a friend I'd like to play games with but most games I think of when I think "Online" is call of duty and she isn't really into shooters.

Diablo 3, maybe? It has both couch and online co-op.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
For collect-a-thons/metroidvanias, I'd like to recommend two series that I love to death: Jak series and the Ratchet and Clank series, both for PS2.

Both are like Banjo Kazooie in that you travel around, platforming and collecting poo poo, going from one elemental-themed locale to the next. Jak is more story oriented, Ratchet is more "shoot 50 guns that all do crazy bullshit" combat oriented.

The Jak series (Jak and Daxter, Jak 2, Jak 3) gets better over the series, starting as a cutesy platformer, going 2000's grimdark shooter/brawler/GTA in the sequel, and being a balanced excellent game in the third.

The Rachet series gets better at first but peaks at the third (Going Commando, I believe?) and is run into the ground from there. I believe it fits your criteria better, since you tend to collect more progression powerups than Jak (who still has some, but not as many).

VVV Well I was right that Commando was the good one anyway :shobon:. The PS3 games weren't *bad*, but the first few set a high bar that the later ones failed to match.

E: which one had the arena mode with 100 rounds and no health/ammo pickups? That was the best

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 2, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Evilreaver posted:

The Rachet series gets better at first but peaks at the third (Going Commando, I believe?) and is run into the ground from there.

I must disagree. Deadlocked is terrible but I liked the two (disc) PS3 games. There's two download titles that are shorter but decent as well.

Also the third is Up Your Arsenal and I thought Going Commando (part 2) was the better of the two.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

DoctorWhat posted:

Metroidvanias. Give me a big loving list of Metroidvanias. Don't bother asking me what ones I've played or haven't played give me them all.

NOTE: Wii/WiiU/3DS/DS/GBA/GBC/PC only thanks in advance, but if it can be emulated on one of those systems one way or another then go hog wild.

This INCLUDES Banjo-Kazooie type collect-a-thons. ANY GAME with power-up-based progression. It can be linear as all hell "under the hood" as long it has a completion percentage and the illusion (if not reality) of choice. Sequence breaking is a plus.

GIMME GIMME GIMME.

I'm with you here. I'd like to see this list as well!

As for your Banjo-Kazooie type games, as well as mentioned above with Jak and Ratchet, I'd also highly recommend the first three Spyro games on the PS1. I never grew up with them as a kid, so having played them only recently while not blinded by nostalgia, I'd say they're pretty solid.

On the PS2 and Dreamcast, there's an obscure game called Fur Fighters that's basically Banjo-Kazooie with guns. The game is massive with its level design and will leave you exploring and shooting up the place for hours. Where Banjo-Kazooie has "worlds", in Fur Fighters, these are just mere "levels" to them, they're that huge. There's 100 tokens to find in each level as well as a bunch of babies (Jiggies) to find and solve puzzles for.

It's worth it to just get a used PS2 somewhere.

Yoshi Jjang fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 3, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

UnEpic is very close to the Symphony of the Night formula. You play a D&D player sucked into a fantasy world.

Laughing_Stock
Jun 19, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

GIMME GIMME GIMME.

I think this pretty much covers most notable Metroidvanias:

http://www.2-dimensions.com/toastywiki/index.php/Games/Metroidvania

Also, Abuse is similar in gameplay to Super Metroid and is generally considered abandonware. You'll need Dosbox to run it though. He also doesn't mention Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

Both Chasm and Pixeljunk Inc should be releasing soon and might fit what you're looking for.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
First off, this thread is great and every time I post in it I get great recommendations from y'all.

This time, I'm looking for strategy games(turn-based or RTS) that are, or have scenarios that are, last-stand/Alamo type situations. I like trying to survive as long as you can before your poo poo gets broken and the enemy makes you sad. Preferably single-player. I know a lot of games have this in their campaigns at one point or another, but are there any based heavily around this idea?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Contest Winner posted:

First off, this thread is great and every time I post in it I get great recommendations from y'all.

This time, I'm looking for strategy games(turn-based or RTS) that are, or have scenarios that are, last-stand/Alamo type situations. I like trying to survive as long as you can before your poo poo gets broken and the enemy makes you sad. Preferably single-player. I know a lot of games have this in their campaigns at one point or another, but are there any based heavily around this idea?

Play Western Rome in Barbarian Invasion, an expansion of Rome Total War. You might even win!

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
I'm looking for games with a weird-rear end story. Think Killer7

khy
Aug 15, 2005

A friend of mine loves games like zelda - good art style, platformer, etc.

She also enjoys watching me stream games to her via my PC - she claims she has no time but I think she gets frustrated at losing and likes to make fun of me when I miss a jump or get killed, etc.

I'm wondering if there are any good platformer games similar to Zelda (Or at least with a nice colorful art style) for the PC.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Darksiders?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'd love some sort of subsistence/survival based game. Sort of like the farming aspect of minecraft but way more in depth. There was an old ascii or text game we played in primary school twenty years ago where you had to survive while trying to build a raft to escape an island which is sort of the idea I'm going for. Is there anything like that around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'd love some sort of subsistence/survival based game. Sort of like the farming aspect of minecraft but way more in depth. There was an old ascii or text game we played in primary school twenty years ago where you had to survive while trying to build a raft to escape an island which is sort of the idea I'm going for. Is there anything like that around?

If you don't mind the interface, Unreal World is a great game about surviving in the wilderness of Finland. Try not to freeze to death!