Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I don't know. I just really don't want to see any Breaking Bad spoilers but I still want to be able to talk to people.

Actually there's an app for that
http://spoilershield.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thoughts on Transit App vs. HopStop? I see Apple bought HopStop recently, but there seems to be extra IAP for certain local transit systems. I'm not sure what the IAP does though, since I just tried a test route with one of those systems and it seemed to map out the whole thing just fine. I'm not far from NYC, so I'd definitely get coverage in both apps.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Well I also don't want to be tempted to log in on a PC either. Guess I'll just do it and not talk to people. The only people I really text are my family and my girlfriend. Snapchat takes care of the rest of my friends I speak with regularly. Yeah, actually, the more I think about it, the more I don't really need to use facebook messenger either.

I honestly have nightmares about how Steve Jobs wanted to integrate Facebook on the iPhone. It would've changed this side of the tech world for the worse. I'm so glad the Twitter integration is gone.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Minidust posted:

Thoughts on Transit App vs. HopStop? I see Apple bought HopStop recently, but there seems to be extra IAP for certain local transit systems. I'm not sure what the IAP does though, since I just tried a test route with one of those systems and it seemed to map out the whole thing just fine. I'm not far from NYC, so I'd definitely get coverage in both apps.

Have you tried Citymapper? I don't know how their NYC coverage is, but it's fantastic in London.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

I honestly have nightmares about how Steve Jobs wanted to integrate Facebook on the iPhone. It would've changed this side of the tech world for the worse. I'm so glad the Twitter integration is gone.
Well they made Ping before that so I'm not sure how much they really wanted third parties as much as just a little concession to reality.

And both Twitter and Facebook are still integrated :v: (just not in Notification Center)

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Wadjamaloo posted:

I need a new Calendar app, but I am extremely picky and anal about them. There are a few things that are complete deal breakers for me.
I use Month view 99% of the time. The calnedar needs to default to month view and be month view oriented. Details of specific days and events need to viewable in a pop up or bar without leaving month view.
Events absolutely have to be able to be color coded.
Month view needs to display the name of events in each days pane, and also show relative times when a day has multiple events.
Must syn with google, though this usually is not an issue.
The biggest deal breaker of them all is that event creation needs to be quick and painless and use 10 key input, no scroll wheels.

I have tried tons of calendar apps and hated almost all of them. Up until recently I was using CCal and it was perfect. I loved it, best calendar app ever. Then I decided to update it for some unknown reason and 10 key is no longer the default. Every time I have to use that awful scroll wheel I want to throw my phone at a wall. Someone help me so I don't break my phone.

I'm pretty positive that Calendars 5 by Readdle does literally everything on your list.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
In the Apple "Remote" app on my ipad, there's bar at the bottom for browsing by artist, album, song, etc. None of those buttons are clickable unless I click in the search box and bring up a keyboard first. Once I click and change the browsing view, I can dismiss the keyboard and browse how I want.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I was looking for a new scanner app and see that Scanner Pro is 50% off at the moment. (72 hours for the launch of iOS 7 so it must end soon)

https://itunes.apple.com/app/scanner-pro-by-readdle/id333710667?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

In the Apple "Remote" app on my ipad, there's bar at the bottom for browsing by artist, album, song, etc. None of those buttons are clickable unless I click in the search box and bring up a keyboard first. Once I click and change the browsing view, I can dismiss the keyboard and browse how I want.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
Probably a bug, it hasn't been updated for iOS 7 yet. On iPad it won't even rotate to landscape view.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013
Are there any good LoL apps for iOS like LoL Memento?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

PaganGoatPants posted:

I was looking for a new scanner app and see that Scanner Pro is 50% off at the moment. (72 hours for the launch of iOS 7 so it must end soon)

https://itunes.apple.com/app/scanner-pro-by-readdle/id333710667?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

How does it compare to CamScanner?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

ijyt posted:

How does it compare to CamScanner?

Never tried CamScanner, I switched from TurboScan.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a reason the makers of WhatsApp don't port it over to the PC as well? It's a little bit annoying/inconvenient if I'm on my computer and get a whatsapp message and have to actually use my phone to respond whereas with iMessage I can just tab over to the Messages app and type it up there.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a reason the makers of WhatsApp don't port it over to the PC as well? It's a little bit annoying/inconvenient if I'm on my computer and get a whatsapp message and have to actually use my phone to respond whereas with iMessage I can just tab over to the Messages app and type it up there.

There's an iMessage program for PC?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Twitter integration is not gone. They just removed the tweet button from Notification Center.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Kheldarn posted:

There's an iMessage program for PC?

No, it's on the Mac, you can use iMessages there, it's just a chat app but it does push messages if you want to both your iphone or Mac.

Lexicon posted:

Twitter integration is not gone. They just removed the tweet button from Notification Center.

At least it's not front and center like it used to be... I don't use Twitter but it's fine with me, unlike Facebook which is an unadulterated piece of crap.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for an app which would let me keep a categorized list of different beers I have tried, and notes about them. Preferably with some sort of form input where I could put things like ABV as well.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for an app which would let me keep a categorized list of different beers I have tried, and notes about them. Preferably with some sort of form input where I could put things like ABV as well.

I've been looking for this for awhile too. Considered just making it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

PRADA SLUT posted:

Have you tried Untappd?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

PRADA SLUT posted:

The previously mentioned Untappd is a very slick app, and if you aren't super anal about the way you rate and track beers it's probably your best bet. I use an app called Brew Vault because it offers many more ways to categorize and rate your beers, has an insane amount of beers in it's database ( I would venture to say it easily has double the amount in Untappd, down to the smallest foreign breweries). You can of course add entries (to Untappd as well IIRC). I also prefer to take my own pictures of beers I taste, and this was probably the biggest deal-breaker for me when I tried Untappd. The downside is it's not nearly as slick and doesn't have the cool UPC-code reader Untappd has.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Don Tacorleone posted:

No, it's on the Mac, you can use iMessages there, it's just a chat app but it does push messages if you want to both your iphone or Mac.

Aw, nuts. Thank you for the info, though.

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

I use TinyScan and it's served me well.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

petewhitley posted:

The previously mentioned Untappd is a very slick app, and if you aren't super anal about the way you rate and track beers it's probably your best bet. I use an app called Brew Vault because it offers many more ways to categorize and rate your beers, has an insane amount of beers in it's database ( I would venture to say it easily has double the amount in Untappd, down to the smallest foreign breweries). You can of course add entries (to Untappd as well IIRC). I also prefer to take my own pictures of beers I taste, and this was probably the biggest deal-breaker for me when I tried Untappd. The downside is it's not nearly as slick and doesn't have the cool UPC-code reader Untappd has.

Untappd lets you take pictures of beers you drink. It's not a native app, though, so it kinda sucks. I still use it, though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

I use Untappd. It may be close enough to what you're looking for. You can assign a rating and it has a text box to type stuff in.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Untappd lets you take pictures of beers you drink. It's not a native app, though, so it kinda sucks. I still use it, though.

I just posted a link to a native app for Untappd. It was released Oct 1st, 2011.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kaizoku posted:

I just posted a link to a native app for Untappd. It was released Oct 1st, 2011.

It's a web app wrapped in a native app, I promise you. Navigating the program is sluggish, it doesn't remember where you were at while scrolling when switching between sections, and it reloads almost everything between each area of the app.

If it's truly a native app, it's the worst native app I've ever used.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I just got engaged and would like to find some kind of scrapbook or journal app that will let my fiancé and myself snap pictures, import pictures, and other cool stuff, and then have it printed out as a nice scrapbook that we can keep as a record of our wedding planning process.

Does anyone know of an app that offers this kind of functionality?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Porkchop Express posted:

I just got engaged and would like to find some kind of scrapbook or journal app that will let my fiancé and myself snap pictures, import pictures, and other cool stuff, and then have it printed out as a nice scrapbook that we can keep as a record of our wedding planning process.

My best guess would be the Shutterfly app. I don't know how well it works but the Shutterfly website has the functionality you're looking for, my mom orders scrapbook type photo albums all the time from them. They look great.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Porkchop Express posted:

We used Evernote for our entire wedding, and it was awesome.

It won't do the scrapbook/print thing, but I'd also probably do that in a desktop package, like InDesign.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If you have a Mac there's the iPhoto books. Could be convenient (as far as desktop solutions) if you have Photo Stream turned on, photos will automagically show up in iPhoto (and save to your library if you have the option turned on).

tojarg
Mar 27, 2010

Oh hey. What's up.
Hey everyone. I'm looking for a budging app that allows me to have two different balances (my checking account and my girlfriends), the ability to categorize spending with custom labels and to keep track of spending within those categories, and allow me to specify which account the money came from.

If anyone has recommendations i would love to hear them. If I'm not exalt enough on what features I want just ask and I'll try to clarify.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If it is actually two separate bank accounts then Mint will do most of that stuff automatically.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

tojarg posted:

Hey everyone. I'm looking for a budging app that allows me to have two different balances (my checking account and my girlfriends), the ability to categorize spending with custom labels and to keep track of spending within those categories, and allow me to specify which account the money came from.

If anyone has recommendations i would love to hear them. If I'm not exalt enough on what features I want just ask and I'll try to clarify.

YNAB is a pretty boss budgeting app/methodology(desktop software) and has a free app component.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

tojarg posted:

Head on over to the budgeting thread in BFC: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549291

The apps I use are Mint.com and You Need A Budget. Mint for big-picture monthly income tracking, and YNAB for actual budgeting. Mint's budgeting is awful in my experience but I love how it imports all of my accounts into one place. YNAB is manual-entry, which I find is useful for keeping me honest and not going hogwild and ignoring my budget for a month.

edit: I'm a business guy so maybe my solution is a little too much, you might try Mint and see how it works for you, it's low-effort.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hey everyone: for the first time in it's life on the App Store, TC-11 is going on sale this Thursday!

http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-11/

If you've wanted this synth but been scared by the pricetag, this Thursday is your chance to grab it. Please help me spread the word (I'm sure I'll spam you all a bit more in the coming days :ohdear:)!

tojarg
Mar 27, 2010

Oh hey. What's up.
Thanks guys. I'm gonna try YNAB out. I don't quite like Mint because I don't like how I have to manually go back in and chance what category purchases from the same place are. I might get some food from Target at the same time I buy a video game. I like the manual entry into specific categories and it seems to handle two accounts well enough.

It may be more then I need, though. I feel like I'm going to be using it on a very basic level that another app could do for much less than $60, so I'm still open to more suggestions.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tojarg posted:

Thanks guys. I'm gonna try YNAB out. I don't quite like Mint because I don't like how I have to manually go back in and chance what category purchases from the same place are. I might get some food from Target at the same time I buy a video game. I like the manual entry into specific categories and it seems to handle two accounts well enough.

It may be more then I need, though. I feel like I'm going to be using it on a very basic level that another app could do for much less than $60, so I'm still open to more suggestions.
Well you can use YNAB for 35 days free of charge to try it out, and you can take the web classes they do for a chance to win a free copy (the ones taught by actual people).

It also occasionally goes on sale on Steam, I got it for $15.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Porkchop Express posted:

I used Mosaic to get a nice little book of all of our pictures from Italy recently. I've never used anything else, so don't know how it stacks up against the other stuff, but it was fun to use.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Can anyone recommend a good app for tracking a DVD/Bluray/game collection? Needs to at least have barcode scanning and the ability to flag whether that film/game has been lent out to someone. iCloud syncing between iPhone and iPad versions would be a big plus.

The only ones I've found so far are hideously overpriced so what they are and how ugly they look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

tojarg posted:

Actually, I kind of like YNAB because it's easy to deal with and other apps and programs are too annoying to deal with and already start off being more than I need. Anyway, you can just watch their videos to get a sense of how it works, and that'd help a lot anyway because you don't really need the software necessarily.

• Locked thread