Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

That loving Sned posted:

You're right, it wouldn't be practical to integrate the current Wii U into a tablet, but it might have been possible if they had designed it that way in the first place, instead of making it half tablet half console.

They could use a dual-OS like the Xbox One has, where one runs Wii U games natively, and the other runs something like Android, so it's actually compatible with some games. They almost certainly wouldn't though, because that would compromise security, and they wouldn't be able to make money off the games like that. They'd also be pitting their own full price games against free/$1 apps, unless they changed their pricing models. I don't want to live in a world where Pokemon has gone free to play, because it will be anything but free.

Dual OS is not necessary. It's a waste of resources to even implement, especially in a machine that most people will buy for games that are significant step above the garbage that people like to pretend will REPLACE TRADITIONAL GAME SYSTEMS FOREVER. The Android and iOS markets are a thing, they exist and people can't stop fellating their cute mobile devices over how fun it is to awkwardly play anything with a pure touch interface (or a controller you can carry with you at all times) but gently caress 'em. The 3DS proves that Nintendo doesn't need to placate those folks specifically, and the Vita could have if Sony bothered to make use of the momentum the PSP actually did build up worldwide. Use one, efficient OS, that specializes in being easy to work with, and is fast and efficient, and give it plenty of memory to work with. Microsoft might be trying to make multiple-OS this a thing with the Xbone, but honestly? gently caress what Microsoft thinks.

Besides, after Nintendo's debacle with the Wii U's OS, I don't want them touching any type of OS setup more complicated than a toaster at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

No reason not to believe them. Ubisoft is completely in love with the Wii U, it's really weird to watch every other third party run away while Ubi walks up with flowers.

Ubisoft is going to quickly learn what kinds of games sell to Wii U owners, I'll be incredibly surprised if the Wii U version of Rayman Legends isn't the best seller by a extremely solid margin (2 times the nearest system). I'm more worried about the effort they're putting into Watch Dogs. I'd say I was worried about the performance of Splinter Cell, but seeing they've already "patched" the game and mutliplayer is still broken, and local multiplayer doesn't exist, I completely understand why people would skip it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Rorus Raz posted:

They're also removing the multiplayer from the newest Batman game and selling it for ten bucks cheaper on the Wii U. I dunno how good the multiplayer is supposed to be, but given the franchise's history as solely single-player, I imagine that will make the Wii U version ever so slightly more attractive.

i bought it on Amazon for $40 the other day, I will gladly pass up whatever lovely multiplayer mode is on the PS3 to save $20 on a launch game.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Like I said, Just Dance made Ubisoft roughly All The Money and that is 90% because of the Wii.

I just hope they put out some worthwhile exclusives for the system. Nintendo has still yet to fill the void that Rare left.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

WendigoJohnson posted:

I just hope they put out some worthwhile exclusives for the system. Nintendo has still yet to fill the void that Rare left.

Sure they have, between Retro and Monolith. And Rare left that void about three years before they got sold to Microsoft.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

WendigoJohnson posted:

Rare has still yet to fill the void that Rare occupies.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Rorus Raz posted:

They're also removing the multiplayer from the newest Batman game and selling it for ten bucks cheaper on the Wii U. I dunno how good the multiplayer is supposed to be, but given the franchise's history as solely single-player, I imagine that will make the Wii U version ever so slightly more attractive.

If it runs anything like Arkham City on the WiiU, I doubt it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

greatn posted:

Sure they have, between Retro and Monolith. And Rare left that void about three years before they got sold to Microsoft.

The three years where they released 7 games, plus two Gameboy ports, outpacing what Retro has released over the past decade? You can add Monolith's one game in there too, it just does not compare. And its not like those were crappy Rare games either, Conker, PD and Banjo Tooie were all put out during that time period.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

If it runs anything like Arkham City on the WiiU, I doubt it.

Why was wrong with it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

The three years where they released 7 games, plus two Gameboy ports, outpacing what Retro has released over the past decade? You can add Monolith's one game in there too, it just does not compare. And its not like those were crappy Rare games either, Conker, PD and Banjo Tooie were all put out during that time period.

Uh? Monolith Software alone has put out more games exclusively for Nintendo in that time frame.

Edit: Even if you just count the games after Nintendo got a major controlling share in Monolith (far more than they had in Rare) that's still 7 games, not counting them helping out on Brawl.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 30, 2013

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Astro7x posted:

Why was wrong with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDEKE-1EAss&t=1137s

Basically it ran like hot garbage in fights. You know, the bits you want it to be smooth and fluid.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Astro7x posted:

Why was wrong with it?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-batman-arkham-city-wii-u-face-off

e;fb

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDEKE-1EAss&t=1137s

Basically it ran like hot garbage in fights. You know, the bits you want it to be smooth and fluid.

Well I'll hold off on opening my $40 copy, and return it if its just as bad

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Did they not patch this to be much smoother? I recall a goon who played it on all three systems saying it was almost identical.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Uh? Monolith Software alone has put out more games exclusively for Nintendo in that time frame.

Edit: Even if you just count the games after Nintendo got a major controlling share in Monolith (far more than they had in Rare) that's still 7 games, not counting them helping out on Brawl.

During those three years Monolith released one game, the original Xenosaga, according to Wikipedia. Or do you mean the past three years, in which case they produced two games on their own, one in cooperation with a third party (Project X Zone, not sure how much control anyone had there) and two where they were working under Nintendo EAD leadership (note: I am being generous and counting the three years as 2010-2012, if I include 2013 but not 2010 they get their co-production of Pikmin but lose two of the games they went solo on.)

edit: Whoops, I misread your post. Yeah, they've done more than just one game but if you look at the stuff they did on their own the only thing that stands out is the Xenosaga/Xenoblade series.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 1, 2013

George Lazenby
Jan 12, 2007

I got Arkham City and didn't get any slowdown at all. I was worried because everyone always says its a terrible port, but it was cheap so I grabbed it. Didn't have any issues luckily!

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Forget competing with next gen. The system can't even compete with the PS3 and the 360.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Al Borland posted:

Forget competing with next gen. The system can't even compete with the PS3 and the 360.

Ubisoft seems to be saying otherwise with regards to the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs, so maybe a lazy launch port isn't the most optimal gauge here.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Supercar Gautier posted:

Ubisoft seems to be saying otherwise with regards to the Wii U version of Watch_Dogs, so maybe a lazy launch port isn't the most optimal gauge here.

Ubisoft have made it extremely clear that they don't really care about the Ps3 and 360 versions of Watch_Dogs, and considerth em to be afterthoughts.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Well, I thought we were talking about what was achievable on each platform in a technical sense. They've clearly developed the game to scale to different hardware, and I'm pretty sure they've recently described the Wii U version as close to but ahead of the PS3/360 versions.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Donkey Kong Country has been delayed to February, so in case you still had some insane hope that Nintendo wasn't going to completely squander the rest of their head start on Sony and Microsoft, now you know better.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Why?! What's even the reason for delaying it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Presumably they ran into production problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLOKVABfrzw

In related news, maybe the "3D World is just a port of 3D Land" stuff can stop now. Shame it's still not going to sell.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TaurusOxford posted:

Because Retro Studios has taken the place of Rareware and as such all their games from now will go over-time and over-budget! :shepicide:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

ImpAtom posted:

In related news, maybe the "3D World is just a port of 3D Land" stuff can stop now. Shame it's still not going to sell.

Hey this actually looks pretty fun! Also as a plus, my Gamecube is still hooked up to my TV so I won't even need to mess with wires.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

JordanKai posted:

Because Retro Studios has taken the place of Rareware and as such all their games from now will go over-time and over-budget! :shepicide:

Doesn't Retro have a lot of the old Rare talent working there? Or am I misinformed?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'm guessing the real reason is that November/December is a little too hot for Donkey Kong. Of course gamers are gonna get it because it's gonna be loving amazing, but everyone else won't pay attention in the face of the CoDs and third/fourth sequels, and even Mario 3D world filling up the holidays.

"Don't make your games compete with eachother" is pretty much publishing 101, and January is "Everyone is loving out of money after Christmas" month, so, Febuary it is.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 1, 2013

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
If that's the case its weird it took Nintendo this long to decide November/December was a bad idea. I'd imagine they took that kind of stuff into consideration before announcing a release date at all.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Atomicated posted:

If that's the case its weird it took Nintendo this long to decide November/December was a bad idea. I'd imagine they took that kind of stuff into consideration before announcing a release date at all.

Yeah but you see Nintendo any publisher ever makes mistakes like this all the time, Nintendo seems to be infamous for delays but most of the industry can't get their act together.

Besides, doing it this way gives them the option to release a Mario 3D World bundle or something like that just in time for the holidays, and pump all of their marketing focus into it. Imagine if they did that with Donkey Kong right around the corner? DK would sell like 10,000 copies.

I hate that I have to wait to play DK, but this shows Nintendo is fully aware that 3D World is their make-it-or-break-it for the WiiU. If it doesn't move systems, it'll be months before there's another HUGE title that does.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 1, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This is also a reason not to push all of your titles into the back half of the year.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Anyone remember if it ended up hurting Ubisoft when they released both Sands of Time and Beyond Good and Evil within a week and a half of each other way back in 2003?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Anyone remember if it ended up hurting Ubisoft when they released both Sands of Time and Beyond Good and Evil within a week and a half of each other way back in 2003?

God drat, Ubisoft really has been doing that poo poo for a while, haven't they?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Mercury_Storm posted:

Hey this actually looks pretty fun! Also as a plus, my Gamecube is still hooked up to my TV so I won't even need to mess with wires.

Tell me what it's like to be completely blind

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Spiffo posted:

Doesn't Retro have a lot of the old Rare talent working there? Or am I misinformed?

Misinformed. They do have a lot of old Vigil Games developers and pretty much anyone let go who has worked on a AAA game in Texas.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Ubisoft is known for sending out games to die, especially when it's designed by Michel Ancel.

As for Beyond Good and Evil, Ubisoft expected a big hit and produced a lot of copies. However, the game never got the same internal support and marketing campaign that Sands of Time received. PoP was a much easier concept to get behind. Beyond Good and Evil severely underperformed expectations and led to a surplus of copies. Eventually, Ubisoft realized the Beyond Good and Evil goes well with string cheese:

Spiffo posted:

Rare is a developer based in England. Most of the talent there went on to found new studios in England, such as Free Radical Design (now Crytek UK), or joined other English developers, such as Rocksteady and RockStar North.

Between their Linkedin accounts and the people I have talked to, Retro has had a lot of people in the Austin area (3D Realms/iD/Vigil/Junction Point), people based in California (especially from Santa Monica), and some legacy employees from Acclaim/Microprose (most of them are gone by now). The company has had a lot of turnover over the years, especially after each game release. Most of its current employees are people who were laid off by another developer in the Austin area addition to new hires from game development hotbeds in California.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sunning posted:

Beyond good and evil string cheese.

Holy gently caress. That's the most depressing gaming story I've ever read. Such an amazing gem of a game too.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The new DKC was pretty much the only other Wii U game I was planning to get, so my chances of deciding on getting the console have gone down even further.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Viewtiful Jew posted:

BG&E was like 20 bucks two months after release. I think I also got a free copy of Splinter Cell 1 with it, because that game did not sell at all.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I don't own a Wii U, but I was talking with someone that does and apparently they just released an update that allows you to play Wii games on the Tablet/gamepad.

This even works with Wii VC titles, oddly enough you still need a Wiimote to actually control them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
At least it's a good use of the built-in sensor bar on the gamepad? :shobon:

It's honestly a pretty nifty feature, I just wish I could use my gamepad as a classic controller for wii games.

• Locked thread