Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If you pre-ordered Wrack they finally released the closed beta, you should be getting an e-mail about how to access it. I haven't tried it yet, but it's the first update in almost a year, so I assume it's pretty big.

Downloading it now. Apparently the beta release got delayed somewhat as the artist was recovering from surgery on their doodlin' arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

supergayboy posted:

I've been messing around with Unreal Tournament lately, specifically with Nali Weapons 3. If you haven't heard of it, it's a very rad, very high quality weapons mod that's been in development for some time now. It's totally worth playing, but that's not why I'm bringing it up here. Apparently the developer has been working on new super weapons, such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwlb0tK9JFA

Apparently there's a new weapon for the redeemer slot that lets you sacrifice a weapon and turn it into an absurdly powerful one-off that wipes out everything. The new version with this stuff hasn't been released yet, but I'm already feeling pretty pumped about it.

Yeah, Nali Weapons 2 and 3 are really fun mods that push the limits on weapon design in that particular engine--even more than a lot of the stuff in UT4E. My only problem with it is that the weapon textures, while well done, feel really similar, flat, and sterile. I wish there was some more color and "texture" to the weapons. Definitely one of the better UT99 weapon mods, though. I mean, the ice-themed gun will actually create floating blocks of ice if you shoot it into water!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

supergayboy posted:

I've been messing around with Unreal Tournament lately, specifically with Nali Weapons 3. If you haven't heard of it, it's a very rad, very high quality weapons mod that's been in development for some time now. It's totally worth playing, but that's not why I'm bringing it up here. Apparently the developer has been working on new super weapons, such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwlb0tK9JFA

Apparently there's a new weapon for the redeemer slot that lets you sacrifice a weapon and turn it into an absurdly powerful one-off that wipes out everything. The new version with this stuff hasn't been released yet, but I'm already feeling pretty pumped about it.

Jesus Christ this guy is a talented effects artist, and even the models look great in NW3. If you like totally over-the-top firepower, this is THE thing to download.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Talk to me when they mod the Turok energy weapons in UT or Q3 :colbert:

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, Nali Weapons 2 and 3 are really fun mods that push the limits on weapon design in that particular engine--even more than a lot of the stuff in UT4E. My only problem with it is that the weapon textures, while well done, feel really similar, flat, and sterile. I wish there was some more color and "texture" to the weapons. Definitely one of the better UT99 weapon mods, though. I mean, the ice-themed gun will actually create floating blocks of ice if you shoot it into water!

I think that's more UT99's engine, sadly. This makes me annoyed there isn't a UT2K4 port (the Chaos weapons pack is kinda flimsy, to me, and Ballistic Weapons is halted. The worst bit is that one of the modellers for the cooler-looking guns apparently likes flouncing pretty often over minor poo poo.)

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Daikatana showed up today on Steam, and of course someone bought it for me as a joke within minutes. :cry:

The sad thing is I already looked up how to hexedit in widescreen support, since if I'll end up having to play it...

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Tecman posted:

Daikatana showed up today on Steam, and of course someone bought it for me as a joke within minutes. :cry:

The sad thing is I already looked up how to hexedit in widescreen support, since if I'll end up having to play it...

You can speed up the annoying click sound in load screens by forcing v-sync off in your graphics card control panel. I know, I know.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Holy poo poo, do I buy it? What do I doooo?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Holy poo poo, do I buy it? What do I doooo?
These handy instructions for this situation should hopefully suffice.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
The best part about the Daikatana page on the Steam store is that the publisher is listed as "Daikatana." Nobody wants to fess up to being a part of this.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Daikatana: For Daikatana, by Daikatana.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i played through daikatana many moons ago, except i cheated and started a coop game by myself so i didn't have to deal with the companions.

the experience that for me sums up the entirety of the game is when I was in the ancient greece segment and I had finally levelled up the daikatana to maximum power so I finally had a good weapon. then i went through an area transition and it lost its level for no apparent reason.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This clip from Proteus's wonderful Let's Play I think encapsulates the experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsLEh3lQ5dQ

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Sooooo... does it actually work?

Because last time I installed it, the game crashed on every second level, and the patcher probably corrupted some of my system files...

Sadly, the links to the videos are all dead...

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Bholder posted:

Sooooo... does it actually work?

Because last time I installed it, the game crashed on every second level, and the patcher probably corrupted some of my system files...

Sadly, the links to the videos are all dead...

Archive.org to the rescue!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Proteus is really goddamn annoying at times and Suspicious is the hero of the LP for actually taking the time to find a lot of the secrets in the game that weren't even documented online due to no one wanting to play the drat game. The LP is a great watch in any case, since the game is pretty much an example of what happens if you have creativity but no sense of how the gently caress to program something. At least Quake 2 was solid, something that Daikatana can't lay the same claim to. I think Suspicious has also done other LPs if I remember correctly, all of things like Quake and poo poo. Should be on the archive.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Suspicious did a whole bunch of really good LPs of heretic, hexen and hexen 2 and similar games where he went to the trouble of finding all the secrets like he did in daikatana. I hope they're still up somewhere.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've still got a sealed big box Daikatana. :smuggo:

Not really sure why. I guess because it was like $4.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Proteus is really goddamn annoying at times and Suspicious is the hero of the LP for actually taking the time to find a lot of the secrets in the game that weren't even documented online due to no one wanting to play the drat game. The LP is a great watch in any case, since the game is pretty much an example of what happens if you have creativity but no sense of how the gently caress to program something. At least Quake 2 was solid, something that Daikatana can't lay the same claim to. I think Suspicious has also done other LPs if I remember correctly, all of things like Quake and poo poo. Should be on the archive.

I liked how Proteus genuinely sounded more miserable as the LP went on. It wasn't some faked outrage or anger you'd see a Youtube superstar do; he honestly did not want to keep playing.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Part of me wants to play it just to see how bad it is. Part of me doesn't want to.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Daikatana is like that song, the house of the rising sun.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Zaphod42 posted:

I've still got a sealed big box Daikatana. :smuggo:

Not really sure why. I guess because it was like $4.

That's the same reason why I have a copy of The Matrix Online, only it was something like 2 for a $1. I still got the worse deal.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Daikatana is going to see a massive surge of sales in the form of joke sales, and then someone somewhere is going to take this as an indication that people liked Daikatana. Probably like how the Bad Rats guy has absolutely no idea why so many people buy his game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Which will cause Digital Devolver to go after the Daikatana IP instead of Blood and I cry myself to sleep another night.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

Part of me wants to play it just to see how bad it is. Part of me doesn't want to.

Daikatana should be experienced at least one in order to play a game where everything goes wrong. The weapons are poo poo, enemies are annoying and obnoxious for all the wrong reasons, the art looks awful, and the maps are atrocious slogs at their worst.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the plot, writing, and voice acting are all pure poo poo.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 2, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Daikatana's sequel will continue the tradition of enraging Japanophiles everywhere by being titled "Daikatana Pea" ("pea" actually turning out to mean "pair", not "two"). It will cause confusion as to the exact role of peas in the game. Unlike the original, the sequel will be rushed out in 17 months, flat--although it will use a lot of repurposed resources from Serious Sam: BFE. For this reason, a lot of the game will conveniently take place in the desert, although the Arabic graffiti will be replaced with some futuristic tech language that is really just a straightforward 1:1 English letter replacement of John Romero threatening and insulting the player in various ways.

The advertising campaign for the game will maintain that "John Romero will make you his bitch (again)" and will be accompanied by snippets of an "interview" with Romero where he maintains that, due to the fact that they sold enough copies to cover the costs of making the game, the original Daikatana was actually really successful and the community has been pining for a sequel. Romero's quotes will be in a font called "Shogun Clan". Forbes will publish an article asking the reader, "Will this man (Romero) rescue the entire video games industry from itself? (Yes.)"

David Hayter will provide over 7 straight hours of dialogue by voicing the square-jawed, brown-eyed brunette, Hiro Miyamoto. A lot of this dialogue will consist of Hiro ruminating over whether or not he should even bother helping people who don't help themselves. Fans of Atlas Shrugged will celebrate the game's deep message. In a last-minute decision, Hayter will also voice some of the throwaway NPCs, including several homeless characters. As a result, it will not be unusual for entire scenes to be voiced solely by Hayter. When questioned on the reasons behind this, a developer will impatiently explain that it's supposed to show the complexities of time travel and how the player is actually confronting shadows of himself. Superfly Johnson's original VA will be replaced with celebrity Tom Lister Jr.--a fact that will be prominently displayed on the box. A lot of people will Google his name and say, "Oh, that guy!" Lister, however, will clearly be uncomfortable with the script, and will often erroneously call himself Superman Johnson.

Also, in addition to a boilerplate player skins DLC, a very special preorder DLC will be released that will change a mandatory driving sequence vehicle into a "fire engine red" Ferrari.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 2, 2013

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Imagine that the world we lived in was better than it is. Not hugely better, but slightly better. Cars get better mileage. Food is just a little more plentiful. Everyone is a little happier.

Daikatana was still made, but was made more in the tradition of Quake. No terrible AI sidekicks. No awful story and racist characters. No restricted save gems. Just regular old shooting from level start to level end. Daikatana free of the traits that really damned it, the traits that all the reviews focus on.

Through the magic of coop mode, I am going to take you to that kinder world in a series of informative posts that explain exactly why even with all those improvements, Daikatana is still terrible. I'm splitting it up into different posts because I want to go through all the enemies, weapons, and level designs, which change episode to episode so one big post would be waaaay too long.

EPISODE 1: THE EFFICIENT USE OF SPACE IN FUTURE JAPAN

The game opens with you, Hiro Miyamoto, standing amongst some coffins in the neon-green coffin swamps of future japan. Your mission? Kill Kage Mishima: Time Hitler (unlike regular Hitler, whose involvement with time travel is limited mostly to hypothetical child murders). He did something bad to you, some kind of japanese vengenace trope like killing your father, taking your magic time sword, burning down your dojo, or all three. But that's about as important as the Quake story, there are no cutscenes in coop mode so we dont have to learn about intricate betrayals and whatnot.

There are two types of enemy in this episode: the monsters and your weapons. Out of the two groups, your weapons are the most likely to kill you. Four of the six weapons in this episode (4 out of 5 ranged weapons) can and will kill you. Let's run through them all:

1. The Punchy Robot Hand: this is called the disruptor glove, what it disrupts I don't know, but it looks pretty sweet apart from the animations being terrible, his punches look like he is the lady from Trespasser limply flailing his hand about at the wrist.

2. The Ion Blaster: the ion blaster is the first of our weapons That Will Kill You. It's the basic sort of pistolly equivalent gun, you get it right off the bat, so it's a weird choice of gun to introduce a weird risk/reward self killing factor into. It's also what you will mostly be using for this entire episode as all the other guns are terrible. It shoots out green bouncy bolts that bounce off the wall and can hit you and hurt you. This happens forever because mostly you will be using it to shoot down corridors where it'll hit the back wall and bounce back and hit you. In a feature stolen from the lightning gun from Quake, it will also kill you if you try to fire it underwater. Unlike the lightning gun, it is not powerful enough to justify this.

3. The C4 Vitzerago: named after boner pills, this gun will kill you. Just don't use it, it will kill you. It shoots out brown squares that are bombs, they have a 30 foot blast radius (aka bigger than any room in this episode) that will kill you, they have weird hit detection so they dont hit where you think they will, they'll stick onto the empty air where a door opened and kill you, gently caress you says the C4 Vitzerago, you wanted a boner; I give you the grave.

4. The Shotcycler: aka the best gun in the game. Its totally useless, but it owns in a 90s way. Its a shotgun that shoots out 6 shells every time you fire. Not at once though, like the shotgun from Shadow Warrior, in a row like an uncontrollable machinegun. They didnt balance this at all against the health of the enemies, so usually you fire it and kill the guards in 2 shots then fire 4 more into empty space. Unless you're really good at dividing your ammo total by 6 its really hard to keep track of how many shots you have left. Bonus though, it doesn't kill you and you can use it to crappily rocket jump.

5. The Rocket Launcher: like all good rocket launchers, it can kill you and you can rocket jump with it. Like all bad rocket launchers, it uses 2 rockets per shot.

6. The Shockwave: given the name you'd think it fires shockwaves, but it doesn't. This is the bfg equivalent, and you will only use it once. It shoots out a bouncy ball that emit shockwaves that are huge and can kill you, it bounces unpredictably, then when it settles it emits huger shockwaves that last for like 10 seconds and also kill you. After you try and use it once you will not try again.

Compared to those jerkoffs the regular enemies are nothing. Kage Mishima took his ideas for minions from the esteemed Doctor I. Robotnik. Most of them are robot animals. The first level brings robot dragonflies that the game things are mosquitos but aren't, robot frogs that spit poison on you (poison is an extremely fun game mechanic imo), robot alligators who abandon the real alligators ambush tactics and instead swim at you and such, a giant boss dragonfly who will kill you, and gun turrets who you have to blow up a box on the wall nearby to kill, but it takes like 5 shots to blow up the power supply and there is no feedback to indicate it isnt just part of the wall, so you'll probably not know what to do and just shoot the turret itself, which is immortal. RIP. The dragonflies hatch from eggs for some reason, I guess they are the future version of ipod charging docks. What all of these enemies have in common is they are small, hard to see and hard to shoot and usually hide under opaque green water.

Later levels introduce a variety of humanoid robots, that evil torture robot ball from Star Wars, regular guards, more turret types, hilarious robot rats who fire tiny poison rockets, boars with tank treads who fire more rockets, and some sort of hippy drugs-weasel who serves as the final boss of the episode. What I like best is that the robots become progressively less deadly as you get closer to kage mishima's inner sanctum. The sewer maintenance bots fire rapid fire poop rockets (not joking) which gently caress you up fast. The jail robots are less deadly and fire puny lasers. The next set of robots just punch you, and you will never ever get hit by one. That's some pro enemy progression right there. The deadliest thing in the episode are the regular human guards cause they have super fast reactions and you can't really tell which direction you're being shot from.

My favourite thing about this episode is how much the evil Kage Mishima cares about using his space efficiently. Most evil villains go for sprawling architecture, full of empty, high ceiling-ed halls with giant pictures of them in. Not Kage. His combination coffin-swamp-and-sewer leads into his evil superjail (which houses like 6 prisoners and 100 guards) which leads into his evil lab which leads into his evil funeral home (which weirdly doesn't have a street entrance, just the entrance from the secret jail and then a loading dock, where do the customers come in?) which leads into his secret burger making facility which leads into his ice computer lab which then leads into his secret sword chamber. They're all crammed above, below and between eachother which makes no sense at all. I know Japan is crowded and all but jeez.

The level design is really bad. Some games have gently caress-You traps, which I have wittered on at length about before. Daikatana calls these 'doors'. You open a door and there are 100 enemies behind it who lock onto you and shoot you instantly. The human guards are the worst for this. They lock on and rapid fire hitscan pistols at you. It's horrible. If you don't know what is coming you will get killed a lot. The turrets are drat near impossible to see and placed really high up too. I don't know how you would handle all this poo poo when you are restricted with save gems. I guess by replaying each level a lot.

The levels force you to take falling damage at certain points, which is really really bad design, and some of these falls really look like they should be instant death but they aren't. You also take some really loving weird routes through the levels. What looks like a path to a secret is often the path to progress, while what looks like the path to progress often turns out to be a secret. At one point you literally have to climb on the top edge of a brass wall nameplate above someones desk to progress. Complaining about crazy unrealistic stuff in an old FPS might be stupid, but IMO that is a really terrible design choice.

There's no clear button/control panel/computer to door connection. What is a background decoration control panel in one part is the key button in another part. Half the time its in a different room down the hall to the door it opens. It's terrible and confusing. These are all supposed to be working facilities too, they aren't mysterious eldritch castles or hell dimensions like in Quake. Dudes have to work here (incidentally there are a lot of civilians who you have to kill often to get to the button you need to press, which I don't really like). "Oh hey Bob, sorry I'm late to work today, it took me a while to solve the valve puzzle in the sewers, then I got my shoelace caught when I was crawling through the vents underneath the murder fan to get to the button to open the front door.". Normally you can justify the weird path the protagonist has to take by having a bunch of perma-locked doors that you can assume the bad guys get around the base through. Not here. Literally every door in the first episode opens, and there is always only one path to open it which always defies all reason.

Aside from that spergy detail, the levels just aren't fun. The enemy placement is really screwed up. At one point you load into an area with 2 boar tanks and 3 minions shooting you the second the loading screen is done. There is no way to react to that. You just get killed over and over and over till you get lucky one time. The secrets are irritating to find. 50% of them are super obvious 'go around this corner to pick up an armour', the rest require some kind of idiot-savant dedication to locate. Most of the save-gems in the normal game are located in these secrets too, which is a real gently caress-you.

The level ideas are dumb and bad. A lab full of cutting-edge dude-cooled computers. A torture jail that plays a looping soundtrack of 'A MADHOUSE, A MAAADHOUSE, AAAAAAH, A MADHOUSE' etc over the PA and houses 6 prisoners. Kage Mishima using his entrance-less funeral home as a cover for turning human bodies into McMishima burgers. You get to see the corpse-grinder in action, and the bodies get hit by a hammer that smashes them into multiple gibs, each much larger than the body they came from, which all fly off the conveyor belt so nothing actually goes in to the hopper at the end. It's like a rip-off of that level from Quake 2 where the marines are getting stroggified, only more terrible.

That corpse-grinder pretty much sums up the episode as a whole. An idea someone thought would be really cool and badass, but wasn't really willing to put any effort in to make sure it worked or made sense or was fun or just anything other than really, really stupid.

NEXT TIME: EPISODE 2: DEATH TAKES A DISC TO THE FACE

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

closeted republican posted:

I liked how Proteus genuinely sounded more miserable as the LP went on. It wasn't some faked outrage or anger you'd see a Youtube superstar do; he honestly did not want to keep playing.

My favorite moment in the entire LP was when during a Greek level (can't remember the specifics), Proteus gets fragged by a closing door and he just straight up gets loving pissed while Suspicious and a guest laugh at his plight. I lost my poo poo at him going something like "JOHN ROMERO'S lovely PROGRAMMING IS RUINING MY loving LP".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Daikatana :words:

NEXT TIME: EPISODE 2: DEATH TAKES A DISC TO THE FACE

:golfclap: This was super entertaining. I'd read more.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
That Daikatana LP had a role in me learning about SA and it's really loving good.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I feel more and more like I need to experience Daikatana for myself.

Also everyone should make sure to read Knee Deep in a Dream, a fantastic retrospective on Daikatana's development that has sadly almost fallen through the cracks of the internet: http://web.archive.org/web/20000619175618/http://www.gamespot.com/features/btg-daikatana/p9_01.html

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Yodzilla posted:

I feel more and more like I need to experience Daikatana for myself.

I've never felt that Daikatana was all that bad. I mean, it's no way near good, but it's better than the rap it's given. The worst thing about it was the bugginess at launch, and most of the worst of that got fixed eventually. The second worst thing about it was the hype and the drama about its development all of which is a fair point against Ion Storm, but that's all outside the game.

The story was bad, but better than most straight FPS stuff that was out at the time (the original Half-Life was where story actually started to become a thing, and most straight FPSs up till then didn't have an in-game story.) It gets called ugly a lot, but that improves as it goes on, most people just didn't play it far enough to find out. The first level is a sewer level, and so yeah, that level's ugly, but then sewers generally are. The save system was a problem, just like it is in the RoTT remake, but in practice it doesn't gently caress you over.

Then there's the difficulty level which is just a matter of taste. It's hard compared to other games that age that start easy and ramp up, but you know you get bored of every game you play wasting the first few levels teaching you to run, jump and fire.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

There's definitely been some hyperbole in the past used to refer to the game, but it really is legendary in how it manages to be a buggy piece of poo poo. I'm actually curious if there was any fixing-up done on it before it was put up for sale on Steam.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HauntedRobot posted:

I've never felt that Daikatana was all that bad. I mean, it's no way near good, but it's better than the rap it's given. The worst thing about it was the bugginess at launch, and most of the worst of that got fixed eventually. The second worst thing about it was the hype and the drama about its development all of which is a fair point against Ion Storm, but that's all outside the game.

The story was bad, but better than most straight FPS stuff that was out at the time (the original Half-Life was where story actually started to become a thing, and most straight FPSs up till then didn't have an in-game story.) It gets called ugly a lot, but that improves as it goes on, most people just didn't play it far enough to find out. The first level is a sewer level, and so yeah, that level's ugly, but then sewers generally are. The save system was a problem, just like it is in the RoTT remake, but in practice it doesn't gently caress you over.

Then there's the difficulty level which is just a matter of taste. It's hard compared to other games that age that start easy and ramp up, but you know you get bored of every game you play wasting the first few levels teaching you to run, jump and fire.

Its definitely not "worst game ever" or anything, can't hold a candle to Superman 64 or E.T. on Atari. (its playable)

But it really is frustrating to play. Its mostly just a victim of its own marketing, you can't ignore that. You can't live down that level of massive hype with such a huge failure. The story is horrible and the weapons and enemies suck, but yeah, it is playable.

Honestly games like Aliens: Colonial Marines are probably just as bad as Daikatana, but they didn't tell us they were going to make us their bitch.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

What is important about Daikatana to me is the type of failure it is. There are ten thousand worse FPS games than Daikatana, but they're lovely because nobody cares, because they were on a tight budget, because they were a cynical, boring cash-in.

Daikatana is a beautiful failure. It is born of the care, of the vision, of the passion of a team that had the budget, had the advertising, had the fame. It didn't fail because nobody really cared about it. It's not merely bad or mediocre. It's perfectly flawed in so many ways. There's nothing cynical or half-assed about it.

Someone used their whole rear end to make this game and it is terrible.

Daikatana isn't Transformers 2. Daikatana isn't Diehard 4. Daikatana is The Room, and John Romero is it's Tommy Wiseau. And for that reason I love it more than all the mediocre CODs and Halos in the world.

edit: i punched the chair out from under this fat man

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 2, 2013

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
To me, one of Daikatana's biggest problems is that Romero completely refused to remove features that weren't working or seemed like they were too much of a drain on resources. The AI partners should've been removed as early as 1998, but he kept on trucking with them, despite having two teams in total leave the project. The cutscene system he envisioned should've been wiped as well because it was a complete waste in the end. Hell, I would've taken out Episode 3 as well, because the whole thing feels like filter. The engine change was dumb as poo poo, and Romero should've actually evaluated how long it would've taken by doing some test ports before going full-steam ahead with the Q2 engine. Sticking with the Q1 engine would've gotten a few points docked from reviews back in the day, but I think the game would've been been seen as better down the line by continuing development with the engine he wanted to use as the start instead of switching to what is essentially a completely different engine. Hell, if he wanted, he could've hacked in colored lighting, like Valve did with HL1, so that the game wouldn't look that obsolete when it was released.

I've read several design docs from Daikatana, and it's interesting how close they are to the final game. From around October 1997, the game is essentially the same as it is in the final game. The biggest things that were removed were the last part of Episode 2 and secret levels. I think that worked against Daikatana in the end. The ideas look good, but there was no way Romero could get all of them in one package and make a solid game. A lot of the time spent implanting far-out ideas in the design docs would've been much better spent polishing up the levels, stamping out the usual AI and gameplay bugs, and making sure the level and art teams played nice.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Hey, Daikatana isn't all bad, the music in E3M2 was awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-3cgBDtW6w

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
By the way, just in case someone here hasn't seen this yet, this is a full page ad that you may have seen if you read PC Gamer or any other such magazine during the hype of Daikatana:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The repeatedly delayed final version of Brutal Doom is now officially releasing on Halloween.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBBs18HUZik

Not sure why the video is in a dinky window like that, but it's a cool enough trailer.

Having played a test build a while back, my main hope is that they greatly reduce the chance of Revenants being able to split in two and for the torso to crawl around shooting at you. The hitbox for the torso is annoyingly small, and they do full damage despite being a smaller target.

It'd be interesting if it happened maybe one in ten kills, but it's about 50/50 right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nice use of "Invaders Must Die", though.