Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah, extremely similar to advanced launcher. I have it hooked up for NES, SNES, GBA, PS1, PS2, Dolphin, MAME, some old DOSBOX games and Steam games (which annoyingly force Steam to start up). With XPadder or other controller remappers you can set up custom profiles so that it switches button mappings depending on the active window, so I mapped the buttons to each emulator using the extra buttons for savestates and fast-forward where possible, and made holding start or select for a couple seconds do Alt+F4 or whatever to quit back to XBMC. It's conventient to go from any of those consoles to play 10 years of mario in 10 minutes without changing the 360 controller, then go start an episode of something for dinner.

It's also fun as a VG museum for people my age to look at. I don't have a huge collection but in that second image that's a video of the game that plays rather than a screenshot so it's a fun thing to browse for a few minutes if you grew up playing video games.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

What did you do for this? Or which Viewtype is it?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

crm posted:

What's everybody's favorite Frodo/12.2 skin?

The 3.2 Openelec update (to 12.2) broke a lot of skins for me, need something other than Confluence :(

I waffle between Ace and Rapier. Ace looks better but I like Rapiers simple presentation and implementation of watch/random lists.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

kri kri posted:

We don't have a harmony thread (rip) but the web-based interface is much better than the older software. Plus everything is updated via wifi so you don't even need to plug in your remote. I can't say enough good things about my smart control, I would like backlight, but I feel the trade off is more than worth it. The biggest thing is since it doesn't have an LCD it can last over a year on a little battery.

I have an Harmony remote and never heard of this web-based interface? What are you talking about? I always use the stand alone app.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Metropolis is still nice, but I've been using and enjoying Ace since it was brought up in the thread a few months ago.

I've been using Ace as well it's pretty ... ace :rimshot:

I wanted to ask something, I've been using XBMC for years but I still don't have a proper solution to handle fanarts. How do you guys manage/get them? I have on my NAS, sickbeard/couchpotato + sabnzbd that does the download to my library but after that? Can I just let XBMC scrap the fanart? This is something really not clear for me.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Le0 posted:

I wanted to ask something, I've been using XBMC for years but I still don't have a proper solution to handle fanarts. How do you guys manage/get them? I have on my NAS, sickbeard/couchpotato + sabnzbd that does the download to my library but after that? Can I just let XBMC scrap the fanart? This is something really not clear for me.

I just point XBMC at my files and let it scrape show info, fanart and episode thumbnails. Does it have to be more complicated than that?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Le0 posted:

I have an Harmony remote and never heard of this web-based interface? What are you talking about? I always use the stand alone app.

myharmony.com got redone awhile ago and it's actually ok now. Of course it's built in Silverlight instead of HTML5 so who knows how long it will last. They still don't give you enough fine grained control over timing for my taste but oh well.

quote:

As long as stuff is named correctly you can just have XBMC scrape everything if you want. I personally have Sickbeard do its thing because it shortens down library updates a bit but other than I let XBMC scrape everything else.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Aeon Nox, everything else looks janky.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Keito posted:

I just point XBMC at my files and let it scrape show info, fanart and episode thumbnails. Does it have to be more complicated than that?

Oh okay I guess it was automatic so I never noticed it do its job, I wanted a bit more variety so I'm tried using Artwork Downloader and it downloaded a bunch of stuff. Anyone use this addon? I noticed now when browsing it started loading new pictures and slowing down the browsing. I hope once stuff is cached everything is back to normal

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I use Ace, the glass list is a nice way to show off the fan art and it's easy to customize.

Unfortunately I've been having problems with subtitles. Anytime I watch something with subtitles or I download them I can no longer bring up the controls.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Le0 posted:

Oh okay I guess it was automatic so I never noticed it do its job, I wanted a bit more variety so I'm tried using Artwork Downloader and it downloaded a bunch of stuff. Anyone use this addon? I noticed now when browsing it started loading new pictures and slowing down the browsing. I hope once stuff is cached everything is back to normal

Artwork Downloader works fine, yeah, but I wouldn't be surprised if it slows things down. I made it fetch everything by mistake once when I just wanted logos and clearart so I have extrafanart downloaded all over the place. Changing backgrounds stress me out and make it harder to recognize the shows I'm looking for so I turned it immediately. :blush:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Make sure to enable "use local files" in the artwork downloader settings.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Tedronai66 posted:

What did you do for this? Or which Viewtype is it?

The Viewtype is a modification of the built-in Multiplex view. I had never done any XBMC skinning/customization before but the files are XML format buried in Program Files/XBMC/addons/skin/aeonmq.4/720p. The author did a pretty horrible job for code formatting and readability but I eventually adjusted the zoom and tilt on posters to make them huge for across the room, changed spacing and info tags and such. Probably took an hour or so to mess with that and the built-in RCB skin, I edited ViewsMultiplex.xml and script-Rom_Collection_Browser-main.xml.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Is it a bad idea to upgrade my XBMCBuntu box to Ubuntu 13.04?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I have an AD12 and just got a 7.1 capable receiver. Is OE running on the AD12 capable of sending 7.1 to my receiver? I'm new to the world of 7.1, I'm old and used to 5.1.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wolfbiker posted:

I have an AD12 and just got a 7.1 capable receiver. Is OE running on the AD12 capable of sending 7.1 to my receiver? I'm new to the world of 7.1, I'm old and used to 5.1.

Yes. System --> system --> audio output. Bump it up to 7.1 and turn on all the audio types.

Even people with 5.1 receivers should be using the 7.1 option.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

jonathan posted:

Why is this?

During the recent reconstruction of my house, I managed to run wire under the floor and setup jacks for a 7.1 system around the living room. I don't really have a lot of content that will make use of it, but I have a 7.1 receiver so I figured why not, right?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have two speakers.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm trying to get RCB going and I can't add any games because when I got to find the path, it only shows my DVD Drive on my computer even though I have 5 hard drives hooked up.

EDIT: Nevermind. Had to go to File Manager and add my hard drives as paths.

89 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 28, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EC posted:

Why is this?

During the recent reconstruction of my house, I managed to run wire under the floor and setup jacks for a 7.1 system around the living room. I don't really have a lot of content that will make use of it, but I have a 7.1 receiver so I figured why not, right?

Because your receiver does a better job of down mixing than xbmc does. At the very least, your receiver knows how to downmix properly. Who knows if the guys who took until 2013 to get 7.1/HD audio support really know exactly how functions like that are supposed to be implemented.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
For those with an emulator setup, I'm curious if you have multiple displays to worry about? Basically, I have a 3 monitor setup with my 2 monitors for my computer, and then a long cable running to my living room HDTV for XBMC. Works great, except when it comes to emulators. Nothing wants to launch on my 3rd display (HDTV). Anybody have the same troubles?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
It's happening!
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3335/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Once this gets rolled into an openelec fork, I'm gonna be in heaven.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm waiting for the Boxee Box port to be stable. Weeee!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Finally fixed my problems with XBMC and Airplay and the phone remote program. It was Windows Firewall after all. Reset it to default settings, added in an exception for XBMC and boom. I also made sure I my network to a "Home" network instead of a "Public" network when I set up my new settings at my house (new WIFI SSID, etc).

So now that everything is finally working again, I was just wondering what everyone uses for music visualizers. There's nothing in the official repository, so I'm stuck with Milkdrop in the meantime.

Unrelated, but all the music scrapers suck as well. I wish if they didn't have anything, they would steal the info from Last.FM or something.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Did you try universal music scraper? It seemed to work fine before I switch my music library to google all access.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

jonathan posted:

Yes. System --> system --> audio output. Bump it up to 7.1 and turn on all the audio types.

No, this is wrong. The AD12 uses an AMD chipset, and the AMD linux drivers do not support HD audio. See here and here.

It really sucks, because openelec is really nice, but if you want to hear 7.1 audio on your AD12, you'll need to run windows. Or convince AMD to write fully functional linux drivers. Whichever's easier for you, I guess.

Of course unless you're ripping your own blu-rays, odds are you won't be seeing HD audio much. The average video file you'll come across will only have ac3 or dts 5.1 at most, which will work fine on the AD12 with openelec.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
That's what I thought but was looking for confirmation of, so thank you.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Does anyone uses a logitech harmony remote to command an AD10 Zbox?

Currently my setup of the harmony is the following:

Zotac AD10 device
MCE Remote device
MCE keyboard device

I did that because the only way, that I found, to power on the AD10 with the remote is to use the proper remote or learn the command but that didn't seem to work. Then the MCE remote to browse etc... on XBMC and I wanted to add the keyboard to add special command like W to set to watched, a button to update library etc...

However the MCE Keyboard device does not seem to work for some reason.

Inputs would be great if anyone has the same setup

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Don't you have to create custom actions in advancedsettings.xml for XBMC to do certain things? You can assign clean library, update library, etc. to certain keys on the keyboard that way. That's what I've done.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
If you are running all this on Windows, you can probably use Eventghost to do whatever you need. But that might be overkill for what you are trying to do. Try Wolfbiker's advice first.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Le0 posted:

Currently my setup of the harmony is the following:

Zotac AD10 device
MCE Remote device
MCE keyboard device

I did that because the only way, that I found, to power on the AD10 with the remote is to use the proper remote or learn the command but that didn't seem to work. Then the MCE remote to browse etc... on XBMC and I wanted to add the keyboard to add special command like W to set to watched, a button to update library etc...

However the MCE Keyboard device does not seem to work for some reason.

Inputs would be great if anyone has the same setup

The IR codes the ad10 accepts change depending on if you have the zotac IR drivers installed or not.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Le0 posted:

Yes. I have it set up as an "ad10" in myharmony. It works perfectly in openelec and it worked on windows when I installed the IR drivers from zotac.com

Like the other people said you need to customize xbmc or use evenghost for more advanced poo poo.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I just updated OpenElec and now I'm getting an empty main menu. That is, there is no background, there are no menu items, but the stripe associated with the menu items is there, as is the weather and time bar. All the web services I'm running are still working, SickBeard et al., plus ssh. Any ideas on something I can do with SSH? I did enable the setting "wait for network connection to load XBMC" but if that's the problem then that setting is broken since It's clearly online.

E: weird, I tried to see if I could play something through the http interface, it worked, then I stopped it and the main menu came back up.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 1, 2013

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

SurgicalOntologist posted:

E: weird, I tried to see if I could play something through the http interface, it worked, then I stopped it and the main menu came back up.
Maybe it had loaded the skin midway through the process of updating it? Or just some weird glitch you hit?

The other day I couldn't get the playtime OSD thing to go away during video playing no matter what I tried until I finally did a restart and had everything back to normal.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I don't think that's it since it persisted after a reboot. It turns out pressing 'esc' on my BT keyboard brings the menu up, so I'll just have to reprogram one of the buttons on my flirc remote to 'esc' until I figure out what's going on.

In an unrelated issue, I was playing with the library views and chose one with infinite wrap. Usually I would press 'left' (on the left-most item) to bring up the views menu, but now when I press left it wraps around to the last item. I can't figure out how to change the view. There must be another hotkey for this. Anyone know it?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

I don't think that's it since it persisted after a reboot. It turns out pressing 'esc' on my BT keyboard brings the menu up, so I'll just have to reprogram one of the buttons on my flirc remote to 'esc' until I figure out what's going on.
Just a hunch, but go check what it says under settings -> skin -> startup window.

In an unrelated issue, I was playing with the library views and chose one with infinite wrap. Usually I would press 'left' (on the left-most item) to bring up the views menu, but now when I press left it wraps around to the last item. I can't figure out how to change the view. There must be another hotkey for this. Anyone know it?
That sounded like a very inconvenient way to access the menu anyway. It depends on the skin and viewtype, but you probably just have to tap up twice (at least this is how you do it on Aron).

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

It appears it's either left or up, depending on whether your view is scrolling horizontally or vertically. :doh:

E: My startup window was set to TV shows, I changed it to Home then changed the Aeon Nox startup choice (previously unset) to TV. We'll see.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

g0del posted:

No, this is wrong. The AD12 uses an AMD chipset, and the AMD linux drivers do not support HD audio. See here and here.

It really sucks, because openelec is really nice, but if you want to hear 7.1 audio on your AD12, you'll need to run windows. Or convince AMD to write fully functional linux drivers. Whichever's easier for you, I guess.

Of course unless you're ripping your own blu-rays, odds are you won't be seeing HD audio much. The average video file you'll come across will only have ac3 or dts 5.1 at most, which will work fine on the AD12 with openelec.

My bad. I still stand by my answer for OS's that support lossless/HD codecs. Good to know about the OpenElec drivers!

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Lowen SoDium posted:

If you are running all this on Windows, you can probably use Eventghost to do whatever you need. But that might be overkill for what you are trying to do. Try Wolfbiker's advice first.

I'm running OpenElec so Eventghost is not possible.

Don Lapre posted:

The IR codes the ad10 accepts change depending on if you have the zotac IR drivers installed or not.

I'm running OpenElec and it worked out of the box (much to my surprise) so I'm not sure what kind of drivers it is using.

kri kri posted:

Yes. I have it set up as an "ad10" in myharmony. It works perfectly in openelec and it worked on windows when I installed the IR drivers from zotac.com

Like the other people said you need to customize xbmc or use evenghost for more advanced poo poo.

Okay thanks guys I'll see about the advancedsettings.xml file then and map actions to specific keys of the ad10 remote. See how it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

My bad. I still stand by my answer for OS's that support lossless/HD codecs. Good to know about the OpenElec drivers!
Oh, absolutely. In general, if you have a receiver set XBMC to send 7.1 and let the receiver downmix as needed. He just happened to have the one situation where it doesn't apply (AMD audio on linux).