Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Well just straight away, based on the numbers it seems like it must have been worth it to 1/3 of your viewers. If you'd said something like 0.1% I might be with you, but 1/3 on each of them (rather than just the first one) is a significant fraction.

It will definitely depend on various things, though. What kind of game it is, what kind of numbers you're talking about (both number of items and time taken), how interesting the paths to them or the collectibles themselves are, whether it actually gets you anything, and so on. If there are a thousand non-descript collectibles just scattered in random-rear end places in a linear action game: probably not worth it. A hundred unique masks/idols/whatever hidden in interesting places in an open-world or puzzle game: almost certainly worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

In the end I really wonder if charging out and getting every little scrap like that is worth it to the viewer or if it sort of pads out the LP.

Personally I don't see the point - if someone wanted to 100% random collectibles I feel like they can play it themselves. My personal style is to aim for a fast, efficient, relatively comprehensive run without dragging out the LP. Tomb Raider has quite a few types of collectibles, so I would have shown a few eggs for instance just to point out they exist - but made sure the LP covered all the story-relevant ones like the relics and survivor dialogue.

There's where the planning comes in though - knowing where all those are and grabbing them in an optimal manner without slowing down the LP or backtracking (I only watched the Sandcastle videos for that though so I'm not sure how you handled it).

That's just my personal preference though, some people do love to watch every little thing being picked up in hundred episode long LPs. I remember someone wanted me to pick up all the higher value money items when LPing Dishonored, and I didn't do it because it didn't add value (there are a lot of them).

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'd say that an extra video which is literally just cutting to a bunch of different places to say "hey look, another [x]" is probably not particularly worth doing. Anything that actually adds to the experience and gives you something new and useful is probably worth showing off, but in a game like Tomb Raider I wouldn't bother with a lot of the collectibles. If it were something more linear then showing everything off world be okay, since you're passing it anyway, but entire videos of just "here's something, and here, and here" when it doesn't really add a lot to the experience is really only useful to the people who want achievements or whatever themselves. At least for me, it doesn't add anything.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

That brings up the matter of commentary and editing too. Someone just teleporting around a game world emptied of enemies and going "here...here...here" would be boring as poo poo, yeah. But you can't tell me that a video of running about finding poo poo and stabbing dudes while, say, RChimp and a couple others are being funny wouldn't be worth watching, or at least listening to.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
It also depends on what content you can bring to the video aside from the collection - I like to leave some collectathon videos running in the background just for noise when it's just the LPer talking about what's happening on screen (old ones mostly, like Psychonauts), but there's a real opportunity for some information that's largely off-topic for the content of the game itself, but relevant to the game's subject matter or history. As an example, in my Folklore LP, I spend the gameplay videos talking about how the actual game plays, and then have guests discuss the real world legends and events that inspired the game during the otherwise boring videos where I grind to make my attacks better. The grinding adds almost nothing to the experience, aside from a good idea of how much frustration is involved and how much I've learned about the game during the chapter, but the video has some interest for the educational value. Information about a game's development might work too - if you can get a game's developer to co-commentate, I think people would watch no matter how boring the actual video. Obviously, not every game will lend itself to that kind of material, but if you have some handy and are willing to record the raw video and edit appropriately, I think it can be a great addition to an LP - and of course, since it's in its own video, anyone who doesn't want to sit through it can skip it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

unfair posted:

Personally I don't see the point - if someone wanted to 100% random collectibles I feel like they can play it themselves. My personal style is to aim for a fast, efficient, relatively comprehensive run without dragging out the LP.
Remember that an LP is, by part of its nature, part walkthrough. Precisely how much of a walkthrough is up to debate and up to the LP, but if you are already making 8-12 hours of footage of you playing a game, and a thousand or more people are viewing all 8-12 hours, you have a pretty strong argument for having more than a handful of people who would be interested in the completion.

Not to mention all the drive-by viewers that might kill quite a few things to see an efficient and complete way to pick up easily missed collectibles.

Again though, it does matter quite a bit what you're doing. On one hand you have things like Resident Evil files or the audio logs Roboky and I need to pick up in Fall of Cybertron, which enhance the back story quite a bit. On the other extreme you have the aforementioned Riddler trophies in Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, which are nothing more than Dumb Human Tricks turned into a gameplay mechanic. Fun to play, sure, but colossally uninteresting to show off.

Essentially the more content the collectible adds, the more respect you should treat it with. In the case of something like Riddler Trophies I'd probably figure out something that completely ignores the fact that there's even video on the screen. There are dozens of ideas for a pure audio broadcast, from goofy as poo poo to interesting and thoughtful. If it's adding a fair bit of content you should probably treat it like any other piece of content.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I just finished up doing a bunch of collections for the open world game I'm LP'ing. One of the collected "items" is location viewers, so I'm including the panning shots they provide, and another provides backstory snippets, so ditto there. However, the third collectable just provides a passive bonus when you find enough, the fourth simply rewards you for making sweet jumps over specific bits here and there, and the fifth adds songs to the car radio, so I leave them out unless I happen across them while on a regular mission. I also don't feel particularly obligated to show off exactly where everything is, either, because the game has been out for a few years and the guide I'm using already has videos showing exactly where everything is.

That said, I have included a few nominally tedious events, such as killing X amount of wildlife and driving across the continent to reach the next mission, as an excuse to play an awesome metal song and show off the scenery which is definitely worth seeing. I've also included every racing mission for the latter reason.

Yggdrasil325
Jul 24, 2011

Capt. J. Linebeck posted:

So I'm planning to do a SSLP of the iOS game Layton Brothers Mystery Room.

Here's a test update: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15387

Please tell me how it looks and if there's anything wrong with it.

So far nothing glaringly obvious, though having played the game myself I would be interested in seeing how you pace the investigations. I remember the initial, timed investigations being completely redundant.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So I'm leaning more and more towards doing a good Tropico 4 LP. Now, Tropico 3's LP was just of one single standalone freeplay session with votes for every single new decision...since Tropico 4 has an actual campaign and stuff I don't think it'd be effecient to do it that way. Would I/Should I restrict the votes to scenario choices (of which there are a lot)? Scenario choices are stuff like, say, for the mining-based mission deciding which minerals to focus upon exporting; some of the stuff involves humorous and unforseen consequences.

Additionaly Tropico 4 has a sort of prestige system where all your customizable traits start off at a low level but get permanently enhanced for every mission you beat with them (for example, "Administrator" cuts the prices of buildings by 2% at level 1, and by 10% at level 5, "Flatulance" makes your palace guards cost more but makes rebels take longer and longer to dare attack your palace when they strike). Would an LP be better served by showing off a clean slate run where they're all zeroed out or do you think it'd be okay to grind a few of those?

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

Yggdrasil325 posted:

So far nothing glaringly obvious, though having played the game myself I would be interested in seeing how you pace the investigations. I remember the initial, timed investigations being completely redundant.

Yes what I plan to do in that aspect is to gather up all the evidence the game lets you during that time, then give everyone in the thread the choice to name the culprit based on that evidence.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

To be honest, the only reason I wasn't watching your collection videos at the end was because I like to watch them in the background while I'm playing another game or something and since they were subtitled there was no point.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Speedball posted:

So I'm leaning more and more towards doing a good Tropico 4 LP. Now, Tropico 3's LP was just of one single standalone freeplay session with votes for every single new decision...since Tropico 4 has an actual campaign and stuff I don't think it'd be effecient to do it that way. Would I/Should I restrict the votes to scenario choices (of which there are a lot)? Scenario choices are stuff like, say, for the mining-based mission deciding which minerals to focus upon exporting; some of the stuff involves humorous and unforseen consequences.

Additionaly Tropico 4 has a sort of prestige system where all your customizable traits start off at a low level but get permanently enhanced for every mission you beat with them (for example, "Administrator" cuts the prices of buildings by 2% at level 1, and by 10% at level 5, "Flatulance" makes your palace guards cost more but makes rebels take longer and longer to dare attack your palace when they strike). Would an LP be better served by showing off a clean slate run where they're all zeroed out or do you think it'd be okay to grind a few of those?

Tropico 4's campaign mode does have a sort of plotline progression to it, so I think it would be best if you went through them in order if you intend to go through them at all. As for the traits, it's hard for me to say what's best exactly, but if it were me, I'd offer them all up at the beginning, tell the readers to pick whatever they like regardless of what level it's at, and then stick with the three that win for continuity's sake.

Also, you should really get Modern Times if you haven't yet. It won't affect the main campaign, but it adds one of its own, plus all the extra buildings that unlock over time really help the game from dragging through the last couple decades. It's the kind of DLC that would've been an expansion pack ten years ago, and I really like what they've done with it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Tropico 4's campaign mode does have a sort of plotline progression to it, so I think it would be best if you went through them in order if you intend to go through them at all. As for the traits, it's hard for me to say what's best exactly, but if it were me, I'd offer them all up at the beginning, tell the readers to pick whatever they like regardless of what level it's at, and then stick with the three that win for continuity's sake.

Also, you should really get Modern Times if you haven't yet. It won't affect the main campaign, but it adds one of its own, plus all the extra buildings that unlock over time really help the game from dragging through the last couple decades. It's the kind of DLC that would've been an expansion pack ten years ago, and I really like what they've done with it.

Hah! No worries about playing the missions out of order, it'd just confuse the readers otherwise. Ditto with Modern Times, I love Modern Times. I think what I'd do is, I'd let the readers decide what traits to pick, but for each mission I'd personally pick a new background/rise to power for each mission since those have a more significant effect on mission parameters just so I'd not be too screwed over (like the miner background for the mining mission, etc.) El Presidente is so good at propaganda he can change his backstory to suit his whims!

Also I loved your Tropico 3 LP.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The largest thing you're going to run into with the Tropico 4 campaign is trying to get each island to have its own character. The temptation to stick with a known working setup is overwhelming, particularly as the maps in the campaign start to repeat themselves. When I played through, 90% of my islands looked the same since my approach to nation-building was almost formulaic:

1) Lots of mines, logging camps, and a few farms.
2) Lumber mill, plus a cement factory.
3) Enable Food for the People, drop the Aid Camp to provide said food.
4) Slingshot to a college in the first 2 years, start building banks.
5) Enable USSR development aid sometime in the next 2 years.
6) Shortly after the first elections, enable Building Permit and still be making GBS threads out $500 apartment blocks. Build them in a high-density loop with services in the middle, like so:

7) Win. Issue Free Housing to get the unemployed off the streets if you want. But you now have a way of housing ~1000 Tropicans in a highly efficient nerve center so they will never go without anything. Satisfaction is practically guaranteed to be over 60. Oh and by the way your Swiss Bank Account is also through the goddamn roof because the building permit goes off the building's original price, so you will get $500 to your Swiss Account for building a $500 apartment block.

Now granted the time between the Aid Camp running out and you completing the slingshot is an EXTREMELY dangerous time. You can potentially be in a position to lose an election or suffer a coup in that period. So that part is exciting. Too bad that's only about 10-15% of the whole island's life cycle.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 1, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat, dude. I'm not that good that I have a memorized build order like that. Wow. That's...okay, so the suggestion of each island having its own character probably won't be a problem either.

(What did you mean by "slingshot to college?")

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Speedball posted:

drat, dude. I'm not that good that I have a memorized build order like that. Wow. That's...okay, so the suggestion of each island having its own character probably won't be a problem either.

(What did you mean by "slingshot to college?")

Build a high school with your initial funds. Use the first year's foreign aid to build a college. The entire year's financial aid. You will usually have at least one college-educated male on the island. Fire him. He will become a professor. If not, hire one from abroad. Visit the place with Presidente. His first students will graduate within 6 months, tops (presuming Abysmal intelligence on the professor).

Congratulations. You're 18 months in to your presidency and you can produce college-educated workers. Now go build 3 banks.

I also forgot to mention that an Immigration Office with Open Doors is absolutely vital for the success of this strategy since producing a large surplus with a banana economy requires a lot of spare hands. So that goes into Step 1. :v:

But yeah, this lets you get your poo poo going very quickly. My screenshot there is 9 years after the start of that particular game (started in 1960). I made a bunch of mistakes on that particular game too, some of which you can clearly see on that one screenshot. The build order is pretty durable as long as you plan ahead on where your residential block is going to be. Which is exactly the problem with someone like me doing an LP of it - every one of my islands would be 'oh hey look Coolguy made a teeming hive of humanity near his palace again wow so interesting'

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 1, 2013

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Now I've gotten my feet wet with Papers, Please I'm setting my sights for when it's done. I won't put the prep work into it until I've finished this LP but I didn't think there would be any harm in asking now rather than later.

I'm planning on doing a VLP on an adventure games series, I've looked on the LP archives and have seen some LP's of some series done separately and some in separate posts. Would it be better covering the series in one thread or making a new one for each game?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Now I've gotten my feet wet with Papers, Please I'm setting my sights for when it's done. I won't put the prep work into it until I've finished this LP but I didn't think there would be any harm in asking now rather than later.

I'm planning on doing a VLP on an adventure games series, I've looked on the LP archives and have seen some LP's of some series done separately and some in separate posts. Would it be better covering the series in one thread or making a new one for each game?

It really depends on whether or not you foresee life getting in the way or not. If you know for sure, you don't have too busy a schedule, you can just start a series thread.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

That depends on how long each game is.

And what is it with people trying to be coy about what they're going to do? Are they afraid that the moment they mention a game's name, four other people will jump on it trying to LP it before them?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

That all comes down to personal preference. I did the Portal Games in the same thread because Portal 1 was short, sweet, and to the point, and most of it's design elements got incorporated into 2, meaning less explanation for when I got there. However I tend to do each Ratchet and Clank game in their own thread (except for Quest for Booty which was rolled into the Crack In Time thread), even though it's no secret that I want to do the other 2 games in the PS2 series. I simply feel that they are long and deep enough to constitute their own threads.

It's also a question of burnout. After doing two (and a half) Ratchet and Clank games in a row, I simply needed a break from cute, fuzzy things blowing everything up. Not having a Megathread helped a lot with that, since I didn't feel obligated to keep going with the series one right after another.

Felinoid posted:

And what is it with people trying to be coy about what they're going to do? Are they afraid that the moment they mention a game's name, four other people will jump on it trying to LP it before them?

Some people like the surprise factor. Me? I constantly blab what I'm planning on doing on my twitter feed, even if I don't say much here.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 1, 2013

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Felinoid posted:

I am reading it as don't mention the game so you don't get dinged for the "Interest Check = Ban" part of the thread title.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

There is also the fact that some folks don't want to promise you can do something before they're positive they can do it (integrity thing), and also that there's historically been some hurt feelings over people calling 'dibs' on an LP.

Now that said, the active crew here has changed a lot from even just a year ago. A year ago if you called someone out on being boring or not having enough attractiveness in their content or something of that nature you'd be parodied by a number of people for taking LP too seriously or something. Nowadays that's a pretty common (and, in my opinion, valuable) but of feedback that the Sandcastle gives. So let's not fool ourselves into thinking that everything is arcane and doesn't change.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Felinoid posted:

That depends on how long each game is.

Usually it's because they don't know themselves.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Thanks for the tips. I wasn't trying to be coy about anything, I was generalising mainly because adventure games spawned several sequels and I have seen a few peoples approaches to them. Frankomatic combined his King's Quest series into one, Son Of A Bug Jug posted the Space Quest series seperately. The Papers, Please LP is going to take a couple of weeks more so I was just putting out feelers on how to approach it. If people where in such a rush to cover a game they would of done it already. There's a ton of games I want to show off, if someone beats me too it then it's fair game. But if it MUST be known then it's a series of games about a sorcerer named Simon.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

But if it MUST be known then it's a series of games about a sorcerer named Simon.

Indeed, a series that was on my very long short list to do someday, even though I can't stand the third one and never got anywhere in it. I was mostly going to complain about how difficult some of the puzzles in the second one were and how much I missed Chris Barrie's voice - the first one pretty much stands on its own in most respects. The actual logistics of capturing it were likely going to be painful, though, so I never got around to it. Since I've got a few years of PS3 titles ahead of me at one video a week, it'll be a long time before I can think about doing something like Simon the Sorcerer.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nidoking posted:

Indeed, a series that was on my very long short list to do someday, even though I can't stand the third one and never got anywhere in it. I was mostly going to complain about how difficult some of the puzzles in the second one were and how much I missed Chris Barrie's voice - the first one pretty much stands on its own in most respects. The actual logistics of capturing it were likely going to be painful, though, so I never got around to it. Since I've got a few years of PS3 titles ahead of me at one video a week, it'll be a long time before I can think about doing something like Simon the Sorcerer.

The 3rd one... I was talking with a few Adventuresoft programmers before their change to 3D. I'd of much rather of seen an out-dated 2D adventure than what was made but their distributors were refusing to release anything 2D. That whole butterfly quest can go to hell, as well as the speed run quests. I love the fact Chris Barrie is the voice in the first game but I think the guy who took over did a decent job in the second. Both the first two have their strengths and weaknesses but they're pretty solid in their own ways. I did a test run with Camtasia, even though I have the first three games on CD's, I recently bought them from gog.com and they run like a dream on ScummVM. One and two are a definite plan, 3D... I had more fun with Swampy's Adventures but I will see how it goes.

But until then I'm very much going to complete my Papers, Please LP. So if anyone jumps on the Simon LP then feel free, after that I was thinking of the Discworld games including Noir.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Simon the Sorcerer?

Fun fact: I'm pretty sure it's the Amiga version where Simon is voiced by the main dev's son, who was almost as snarky as the wonderful Mr. Barrie. And yeah, since they run on ScummVM just fine, recording hasn't been an issue for a lil' while now.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

But if it MUST be known then it's a series of games about a sorcerer named Simon.

I'm still waiting on someone to show off a series of games about a sorcerer named Ernie.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

JamieTheD posted:

Fun fact: I'm pretty sure it's the Amiga version where Simon is voiced by the main dev's son, who was almost as snarky as the wonderful Mr. Barrie. And yeah, since they run on ScummVM just fine, recording hasn't been an issue for a lil' while now.

As far as I'm aware, the original release was a subtitle only release which was re-released in "talkie" only with no subtitles. The second and third release was voiced by Brian Bowles. I've never heard of any other releases but I'd love to know more info on other versions if they're around.

Chris Barrie originally voiced the original Simon, Adventure Soft went further into the Red Dwarf cast by employing Robert Llewllyn as the main character in The Feeble Files.

But as far as I know, Barrie was the first voice of Simon.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Right, I got no comments here, but going by "checked out part 1 of video" to "checked out part 2" ratio (<10%) I fail miserably at making 15 Days entertaining. At least, I didn't make 15 Days. Still, the winning move is not to play, so I dump that.

However SA LP area seems to be rather low on flight sims. That I can fix.

A good ground for some commentary on history, game and aircraft design, not to mention that usually more happens here in 10 minutes than in an hour of CoD. Which is pleasing, since it takes me 5 hours to upload 15 minutes of HD footage.
Here's a video, not really a pilot, as it claims to be, but more of an engine/recording demo. Fancy plane models. Stuff gets said. poo poo explodes.
http://youtu.be/tDtU-HJ4UIU
As the video says, I'm thinking of making it a hybrid LP with missions in video, briefings and debriefs in screenshots, along with some text comments and explanations.
Oh, and here's a partial preview of the LP map. The games have a ton of aircraft and campaigns, so I had to trim it down to "short, but varied and educational".

lick here for the full 2000x1113 image

So, aces, can it work?

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

So, aces, can it work?

Well, you most definitely need to duck your audio - obviously it's fine when you're paused, but flying I can barely hear you over the engine. Pacing wise, I don't understand why I was shown those planes at the beginning, or even why all those different models would be used in one squad. I also feel like you need a better hook to keep interest, right now you're just leisurely explaining game mechanics - and while that can be thrown in here and there it doesn't seem like something that will keep most people engaged on its own.

Part of it may actually be game choice - if I was doing a flight sim (from the few I've played) - I'd go with Wings Of Prey. It's a gorgeous game, and has an interesting campaign from what I've seen of it. It would allow you to get more into the actual character of a fighter pilot or bomber, which seems like it would be a lot more engaging.

Basically, I want to see what it's like to fly a plane and cool tactics related to that - not so much a mechanical overview of a game. That said, just my opinion and others might feel differently.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

unfair posted:

Basically, I want to see what it's like to fly a plane and cool tactics related to that - not so much a mechanical overview of a game. That said, just my opinion and others might feel differently.
Yes, that is the idea. Every plane's videos will cover their individual quirks, be it armament or flight characteristics. Or their enemies. There's a world of difference between flying some plane in the 60s and in 1979.
There's no point just showing the action... as I did in this video, where I assembled the squad of every plane generation in the game and threw them against one of the hardest targets.

As for the engine noise, I think, I'll mix the game audio lower for the P-51D episodes, because the ducking will sound like I'm wildly playing with the throttle lever. Once I switch to jets, the engine noise will be much more manageable.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

gatz posted:

I'm still waiting on someone to show off a series of games about a sorcerer named Ernie.

A search revealed there's a Youtube LP of the first game in that series, which makes no sense at all.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I hope it isn't an issue posting this here. During the Retsupurae (I can never spell that correctly on the first try!) on Harvester, there was a comment made about the geometry of the second floor of the Lodge. Based on Steve being six feet tall and using a ruler to determine the ratio between the width of the room and the height of Steve, I tried to estimate the size and layout of the rooms. This is what I have so far:

Their intuition was right. The "scythe room" directly overlaps the kitchen and the "last supper" room. I'll need to see what else is there.

I know, you don't typically use CAD as part of a Let's Play.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 3, 2013

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
friend of the family!Lore friendly Lizard Dongs: Let's play modded Skyrim!

I'll whip up a op tomorrow or something but so far what do you guys think?

Oh, and if that other guy still wants to do his 100% Skyrim lp, I'm pretty happy to just cover the modded stuff.friend of the family

Titty Warlord fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 18, 2014

Habermann
Nov 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Dongicus posted:

Lore friendly Lizard Dongs: Let's play modded Skyrim!

Oh, and if that other guy still wants to do his 100% Skyrim lp, I'm pretty happy to just cover the modded stuff.

You will not finish this LP either.

I don't understand the urge to SSLP Skyrim. The fact that you're the second person in a week to attempt doing so is sort of astounding to me. While you at least have a gimmick / base knowledge of the game going in (Unlike Stringbean), there's still zero advantages to choosing screenshots as your format. Especially if one of your aims is to show off "wacky mods," which video would be a hundred times better for.

Which, by the way: I realize that all you've shown off so far is the start of the prologue, but you've seriously only got the one visible mod running? You haven't replaced Alduin with Macho Man Randy Savage or anything like that? If your novelty is running a bunch of silly mods, you'd better be running a loving ton of silly mods. Unless, of course, your aim isn't to make the game "silly" / you're only using "gameplay-enhancing" mods, which would be stupid since half that poo poo won't even be visible in screenshots.

Aside than that, you've got all the same problems as Stringbean did: You've got a loving huge game ahead of you, textbooks worth of dialogue to transcribe, not particularly funny commentary, and a target audience which have mostly already all played the game (And probably played it with their own personal selection of mods, to boot). If you do decide to make a thread for this, your audience will quickly lose interest, followed shortly thereafter by you.

Habermann fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 3, 2013

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
hi kewpuh remember when you got ran out of fyad for being a fat retard and have now willingly modded the games forum for like a year and its still the same terrible poo poo.

this post is insanely gay tho, ill give u that

Habermann posted:

You will not finish this LP either.

I don't understand the urge to SSLP Skyrim. The fact that you're the second person in a week to attempt doing so is sort of astounding to me. While you at least have a gimmick / base knowledge of the game going in (Unlike Stringbean), there's still zero advantages to choosing screenshots as your format. Especially if one of your aims is to show off "wacky mods," which video would be a hundred times better for.

Which, by the way: I realize that all you've shown off so far is the start of the prologue, but you've seriously only got the one visible mod running? You haven't replaced Alduin with Macho Man Randy Savage or anything like that? If your novelty is running a bunch of silly mods, you'd better be running a loving ton of silly mods. Unless, of course, your aim isn't to make the game "silly" / you're only using "gameplay-enhancing" mods, which would be stupid since half that poo poo won't even be visible in screenshots.

Aside than that, you've got all the same problems as Stringbean did: You've got a loving huge game ahead of you, textbooks worth of dialogue to transcribe, not particularly funny commentary, and a target audience which have mostly already all played the game (And probably played it with their own personal selection of mods, to boot). If you do decide to make a thread for this, your audience will quickly lose interest, followed shortly thereafter by you.

Yup I can definitely try redoing it in video format, only reason I didn't was because of performance issues. I could probably find some way to make it run smoother by tweaking some graphics or something. But you're right, things like the combat overhaul I'm using would be a lot more easier to explain via video.

As far as my gimmick though? I do want to show off some of the ~wackier~ mods out there (I'm kicking myself for forgetting about macho dragons :negative:.) but I also want show off the cooler poo poo like the really good quests,dungeons,weapons,armors, and lighting mods out there.

A lot of the vanilla game's content has probably already been shown off before. So I'm probably going to ignore most of it in favor of the mods.

Titty Warlord fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 12, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
If any Skyrim LP gets off the ground I'd assume something like "let's LP Dawnguard" or "let's LP that Falksaar mod" - something with a defined scope - would be the only thing that works. Or at least, would serve as a starting point so nobody goes insane.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Psion posted:

If any Skyrim LP gets off the ground I'd assume something like "let's LP Dawnguard" or "let's LP that Falksaar mod" - something with a defined scope - would be the only thing that works. Or at least, would serve as a starting point so nobody goes insane.

You know, I would love to see a run through Skyrim done in the same tone as Bobbin Threadbare's "Free Man of the Wastes" Fallout 3 LP. He did the main story with a neat twist on the narrative and commentary. Namely that the main character isn't your average Vault Dweller, but Gordon Freeman sent to the future by the G-Man.

And it had a defined scope. The LP fit into 12 updates that showed off the main quest and because of the commentary and structure didn't drag the way some LPs can because of the scope and narrative of the LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

Dongicus posted:

Lore friendly Lizard Dongs: Let's play modded Skyrim!

Oh, and if that other guy still wants to do his 100% Skyrim lp, I'm pretty happy to just cover the modded stuff.

I don't see the allure of a Skyrim LP at all and I'm not the only one. For me, I would never consider playing a game that I couldn't finish with a clear goal, start, and end. Final Fantasy games are very long, and they have a lot of side quests, but they start and they end. I've never played Skyrim, but the other Elder Scrolls game simply do not end and I'm assuming from my google fu that Skyrim is no exception. I mention FF because the longest LP I've ever sat through was around 120 episodes, but even that ended.

LPs are hard enough work as it is without trying to find the bottom of the rabbit hole.

• Locked thread