Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

JazzFlight posted:

Maybe it's due to a way that iOS 7.0 handles data management.
Which means we're screwed cause the dev can't update.

My iPad mini hasn't been updated to iOS 7 yet. I'm hoping it was some one-off thing because it'd be nice to play some RPGs while traveling since it's not really feasible to carry a SNES on a plane. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JDM3
Jun 26, 2013

Best $10 bux I ever spent on a total stranger.. who happens to be a fucking douchetube.

marshmonkey posted:

The first law of thermodynamics is don't talk about thermodynamics.

The second law? Don't talk about the first law, motherfucker.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
How on earth do people plan to play iOS games with a controller? Are you gonna post up at a desk or your dining room table or something? All of my iPad/phone game playing is done on the couch or in bed and it seems totally impractical to prop it up somehow and use a controller. Putting a phone into a some kind of housing makes more sense, I guess.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

That's exactly it, the device fits around the phone making it look more like a PSP than an iPhone.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

kaptainkaffeine posted:

How on earth do people plan to play iOS games with a controller? Are you gonna post up at a desk or your dining room table or something? All of my iPad/phone game playing is done on the couch or in bed and it seems totally impractical to prop it up somehow and use a controller. Putting a phone into a some kind of housing makes more sense, I guess.
AirPlay is really good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ascension is free again. :toot:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Al Baron posted:

Seems like Marvel Puzzle Quest will be dropping this Thursday in the US, probably world-wide too.

I know the writing is spotty, but how does it hold up compared to Puzzle Quest and Galactrix? I loved me some Puzzle Quest on the Xbox :shobon:

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

That's exactly it, the device fits around the phone making it look more like a PSP than an iPhone.

So that they need to make separate controllers for every device?

Seems like the wrong business choice, so that's surprising. Although maybe they expect phone+tablet owners to double down? I'd much rather have a regular old controller over some snap-on monstrosity, but hey that's me. I guess if you play on the move it'll be cool.

Edit

That's the one?

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 1, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
A few rambling thoughts about the controller and what it means to me:

I'm torn because I can't stop complaining about how pathetic gaming on iOS is and a controller* would be just the thing to turn that around and get more attention to it as a gaming platform.

Problem is it's yet another console system except massively underpowered and horrendously unsupported (appstore, anyone?) compared to the competition.

Nevermind that, I don't want even more people designing controller-based games for iOS. There are already enough of those (virtual d-pad) and we don't even have a controller yet.

Why can't app designers buckle down and start building a library of good games designed around touch that you can't digest in a 5 minute poo poo? Every kid these days are birthed with an iPhone wrapped in their umbilical cord, all you need to do is make one good AAA blockbuster and you have a license to print money. I guess the business end is that all the AAA publishers are waiting to see what the formula will be before making their move.

* e: When I say controller I mean first party controller with full support, something akin to Microsoft's Games For Windows standards. Anything less and you'll just have the PC peripheral market from the 90s: nothing but bullshit and logitech wingmen.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Oh god I accidentally chose the "Corn. Actual Corn" option on Cletus' farm in The Simpsons Tapped Out. AND there's a 'Harvest Perfection' quest.

I do some incredibly silly things sometimes.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Zero Star posted:

Oh god I accidentally chose the "Corn. Actual Corn" option on Cletus' farm in The Simpsons Tapped Out. AND there's a 'Harvest Perfection' quest.

I do some incredibly silly things sometimes.

There's some way you can cancel that. Putting the farm into your inventory and putting it back I think?

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

McDragon posted:

There's some way you can cancel that. Putting the farm into your inventory and putting it back I think?
As tempting as cancelling it sounds, I think I'll leave it. If nothing else, it'll stand as a reminder that I need to pay attention to this sort of thing. Besides, 45,000 dollars and 3,000 XP is nothing to be sniffed at. :v:

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

I'm torn because I can't stop complaining about how pathetic gaming on iOS is and a controller* would be just the thing to turn that around and get more attention to it as a gaming platform.

Problem is it's yet another console system except massively underpowered and horrendously unsupported (appstore, anyone?) compared to the competition.

Nevermind that, I don't want even more people designing controller-based games for iOS. There are already enough of those (virtual d-pad) and we don't even have a controller yet.

Why can't app designers buckle down and start building a library of good games designed around touch that you can't digest in a 5 minute poo poo? Every kid these days are birthed with an iPhone wrapped in their umbilical cord, all you need to do is make one good AAA blockbuster and you have a license to print money. I guess the business end is that all the AAA publishers are waiting to see what the formula will be before making their move.

* e: When I say controller I mean first party controller with full support, something akin to Microsoft's Games For Windows standards. Anything less and you'll just have the PC peripheral market from the 90s: nothing but bullshit and logitech wingmen.

The iPhone is not underpowered or horrendously unsupported dude

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
iOS is so unsupported, it doesn't even have Halo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

deadly_pudding posted:

I know the writing is spotty, but how does it hold up compared to Puzzle Quest and Galactrix? I loved me some Puzzle Quest on the Xbox :shobon:
I'm enjoying it more than Puzzle Quest, but it has some variety issues in that (at this point anyway) basically every team will have Iron Man because the first three mission hubs only ever reward comic books of the four 'starter' heroes (Iron Man, Storm, Hawkeye, Black Widow) and Iron Man has twice the base health of every other starter hero as well as the only direct damage 'spell'. Even if you spend premium currency on 3-star comic books who come with more base health, your hero's level is tied directly to your skill levels and because those premium currency heroes aren't doled out as mission rewards you have to dump increasing levels of regular currency into training their one skill just so they can just level up enough to be on par with king Iron Man who will be getting free skill levels from the tonnes of Iron Man comic books thrown your way.

This is a real bottleneck for strategy since different heroes do different damage with different gems and that scales with level, and whoever deals damage first is the one who takes damage from the other team that round - I'm at the point where Iron Man has so outleveled the rest of my heroes that he has higher attack values in every gem colour than almost everyone else except Storm, who is also significantly higher level than everyone else. He has double her HP, but he takes basically every enemy attack until he dies, at which point I'm left with two characters whose only ability and role is to support shoving as many gems into Iron Man as possible.
(Although I imagine this changes somewhat if you're not playing for free and actually have the premium currency to spend on a whole bunch of 3-star comic books)

I've only hit the play-limit (health carries over and regenerates over time, with 6 instant heal med kits refreshing on a timer) a few times and it's been during hour+ sessions where I'm losing badly.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Apple has an MFi controller licensing spec now, so maybe just wait and see what comes out of that.

Also, the iPhone 5s scores almost as high in browser benchmarks as my 2007 MacBook that I used to play TF2 on at minimum settings. 90% of the score. So there's that.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

Sorry iOS isn't the HARDCORE GAMING PLATFORM you require on your phone.
(By the way, iOS 7 implemented an Apple-specified controller standard, so controllers will be coming and will all (likely) function the same. Apple won't make a controller because they don't want developers to lean on traditional controls any more than they already do.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I played a bit more of that Reaper game and I still don't like it. The story makes no sense with your character bounces between allegiances with no explanation, no choice whatsoever, and the lack of healing in battles makes things extremely frustrating. Especially with nine million different ways to take damage from the environment, from spikey plants and spikey barricades that blanket the area so you always have something damaging to land, campfires and sconces that you take damage for simply walking past, helicopter rotors that you will inevitably bounce around on because of how terrible the air combat is, heavy enemies with tall pikes that serve zero purpose beyond giving you one more spikey thing to take damage from, and and I could go on.

The controls are better once I got the hang of them but the combat is hosed and there is so much actively trying to prevent me from having a good time.

"We've built up the framework for a good game, now how can we make it aggressively unfun to play?"

E: Ugh appshopper link is on the fritz

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reaper-tale-pale-swordsman/id698299228?mt=8

Bummey fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 1, 2013

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

(By the way, iOS 7 implemented an Apple-specified controller standard, so controllers will be coming and will all (likely) function the same. Apple won't make a controller because they don't want developers to lean on traditional controls any more than they already do.

A surprisingly laissez-faire attitude given their general structure of the App Store. Games I haven't heard mentioned:

Pro Strategy Football 2013: Recent release, pretty good American football simulator that really focuses on play by play strategy instead of player stats. Would think twice if you already own PSF2012 though, it's pretty much the same exact game without a whole lot of notable additions.

Boson X: "endless" runner with 6 stages. You play a dude running from one end of a long tube/tunnel to another, and you need to rotate around the inside to avoid obstacles and run on colored platforms in order to charge up a meter to 100%, unlocking the next stage (you keep running after you hit 100% though, thus the 'endless'). Stages escalate in difficulty (you begin each stage at a different speed) but they also feature wildly different design (Stage one features simple holes you can fall into, later ones introduce platforms that move into place, forcing you to recognize patterns and make snap descisions). Pretty challenging, very much a "endless runner" take on Super Hexagon.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

Leaked photos of an upcoming controller:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What if the game plays in a verticle orientation

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

What if the game plays in a verticle orientation

Then it ain't made for that controller

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

ChocNitty posted:

.and I thought the 3DS XL was huge. How the poo poo are you supposed to pocket that? :stare:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

ChocNitty posted:

Those kinds of contour-fitted controller cases annoy me because they'll only fit that particular model of iPhone and you can't have a case on it.

I'd rather have a smaller Bluetooth controller and prop up my device (which could be any iOS model then).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That's the first of literally hundreds of designs you're about to be seeing, calm down.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bummey posted:

.and I thought the 3DS XL was huge. How the poo poo are you supposed to pocket that? :stare:
I can pocket a Vita, and that doesn't seem nearly as large. Besides, I don't think it's something you'd leave on 24/7.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I feel poorly characterised by the thread title <:mad:>

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Man so much for Shantae: Risky's Revenge. I've been enjoying it but the game seems to have hosed itself to the point where launching it just makes it crash back to iOS and then...sometimes re-open itself only to crash again? I've never seen an app do that and if I look at the screenshot in the app tray it's where I left off but I can't actually see anything on screen save for a logo and blackness before it eventually crashes. Weird as hell.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bummey posted:

Have you seen what people who carry gaming systems wear? Wide-leg "comfort fit" cargo jorts and orthopedic New Balance shoes all the way down.

Wake me when Dior starts making iOS-compatible pants.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Finally broke and I'm getting in on some Clash of Clans action. Do I have to get X trophies first or can someone invite me to the goon clan?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Kjermzs posted:

Finally broke and I'm getting in on some Clash of Clans action. Do I have to get X trophies first or can someone invite me to the goon clan?

Someone mentioned a goon clan and it looked like poo poo. I'd set one up if there was that much interest in one.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Attention people who may or may not have played and given up on Battle Camp. There's a PvP event going on and it is the poo poo. The rest of the game is still an IAP-infested morass, but PvP is legitimately a ton of fun and, if you're a PAD addict like me, you can crush whales endlessly because of your ~super gosu matching skills~

We're in the game as GoonCamp (use the same capitalization and full name to find us). We're united by our mutual dislike of the game.

If you are interested (don't do it) sign up using a fake facebook and use a referral code to get a free Ultimate Grab which will probably be total poo poo. For completely altruistic reasons not related to getting parts of monsters at all, my referral code is "wmtbcs"

e: I guess I should do some tips on starting the game out. If you're fresh to the game don't worry about the event and just focus on building your team. While battle random monsters you'll occasionally get monster pieces, which will have a passive level (1 to 3 stars) and a zodiac sign. Immediately sell any pieces that have a 1* passive, then keep the rest. As you get the other pieces you'll unlock the monsters and be able to use them on your team. At the beginning it's not really a big deal to match zodiac signs but eventually you'll want to pick a sign or two and focus on building a team around them. This means selling monster pieces that don't match the sign since it takes 2-6 pieces to complete a monster, but the sign and passive level is shown once you get the first piece. Since the best passives (3*) only unlock if you have at least 3 other monsters with the same zodiac sign it means you'll eventually want to field a team of just one sign.

Unlike PAD, the xp fusion monsters (which look like cactus dudes) can be levelled up with hilarious results. Feed them trash until they hit level 11-12 and then feed one to a monster on your team to boost them to level 25 in one go.

If you already have a team and want to give PvP a try, focus on mass attacks. One or two mass attacks can instantly wipe the enemy team or at least weed out the weaker dudes so it becomes a lot easier to pick them off.

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 3, 2013

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

FlashBangBob posted:

Someone mentioned a goon clan and it looked like poo poo. I'd set one up if there was that much interest in one.

I just came in here to post looking for something like that, or a thread, or something..

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

uh zip zoom posted:

I just came in here to post looking for something like that, or a thread, or something..

Here's a thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3573117

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Has anyone played Dead Man's Draw, Stardock's new iOS game? Looks like a cool concept and you can never have enough pirate themed games.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm surprised I haven't heard more about Might and Magic: Duel of Champions. I just discovered it recently and having played Cabals, Shadow Era, and Solforge, in my opinion it's much more mature and better designed than those games, especially the latter. A new set just came out so a new meta hasn't been established yet, but prior to that, the meta seemed pretty sophisticated with a dozen or so different deck themes competing for dominance. They will actually nerf horribly busted cards which is kind of cool, surprisingly. Has a pretty generous free to play system, too, where you can grind out booster packs and boxes.

Solforge has all the hype, but DoC seems to actually deliver what people were looking for from Solforge.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 3, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
What the gently caress is a meta

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

What the gently caress is a meta

The metagame is the game that emerges when you repeatedly play a game. In this case, strategies can change not due to any change in the game itself, but due to a change in the community that plays the game.

If a Magic player crushes a tournament with a Squirrel deck, you'd be smart to bring anti-Squirrel countermeasures to the next tournament even though Squirrels aren't any more powerful than before.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Is there a game like Pocket Trains that I only need to check on a few times per day instead of every 3 minutes? I like Pocket Trains, but I'd like it more if the trips took hours instead of minutes. I know most people would hate that, but I'm just looking for something to fill a few minutes here and there, and I like the idea of things happening when I'm not playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I wanna play Duels of Champions really badly but I don't have a tablet. Do any current players know if they have plans for expanding to iPhones eventually, or are they sticking with iPad for the foreseeable future?

• Locked thread