Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RobTG
Sep 11, 2001

by T. Finninho
Crazy how APB is a better GTAO than GTAO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Haha there are people playing GTAIV online on the PS3 now.

E: This is pretty fun actually

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RobTG posted:

How is this possible? APB is terrible in pretty much every way.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I am mad that a service which was free that came with a game I have received hours of enjoyment from is not working.

On a SP note, two questions:

With Trevor and the cult missions-
I took the couple to the hotel and not the cult, is there a way to activate the quests again ?

And in regards to the "lets hang out" missions, do they provide anything aside from more background story ? I took a few days break from the game (just now getting to the FIB missions) and figure beating the story mode will tide me over until they get the launch issues fixed.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

fyi Xbox Live Gold will be free this weekend.
drat, I really am finding it hard to wait though. I wonder if I have a free month laying around somewhere.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I just walked into ammunation and bought a parachute. The guy walks off the side of the screen as if he's grabbing it off the wall... And never comes back. I'm completely stuck now.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

DrNutt posted:

Hmm yes a great explanation and at the same time it's a 'gently caress the consumer over for a few extra bucks' decision so it's great that so many in this thread are frothing at the mouth to chastise people for being frustrated that they can't play a huge portion of the game they paid 60 bucks for.

When those people have already played the game for 80 hours then the complaint loses its damning effect.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Aphrodite posted:

That's not accurate though. Buying more servers would solve the problem. It will just leave you with a lot of unnecessary servers afterwards,

Having more servers ahead of time might be helpful, but I'm talking about solutions right this moment. It's not like they can just walk to the server store, buy some servers and plug them into an ethernet cable and magically all of the problems are fixed like so many internet retards think.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

DrNutt posted:

How is this possible? APB is terrible in pretty much every way.

I think the joke here is that APB's service is currently more stable/reliable than GTA:O's :ssh:

Though as soon as Rockstar fixes the problems it'll be the other way around again. APB is still a heaping pile of poo poo.

MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Boy if only there were a company that had made over a billion dollars in a single day and had the money to spare for such a thing. If only.

Yes, how dare a company that has to pay its employees not needlessly throw away money to temporarily satisfy me, the whiny internet manchild.

Sondlar
Sep 9, 2004

MailboxFullOfBombs posted:

Yes, how dare a company that has to pay its employees not needlessly throw away money to temporarily satisfy me, the whiny internet manchild.

Something tells me a lot of Rockstar employees are going to be getting a nice hefty check of overtime pay. I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to be dealing with the colossal amount of poo poo they're diving into right now to get it working properly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't see this posted, but can you go to North Yankton outside of the story?

Also, holy hell GTA online is literally the most broken thing I've ever seen, not that it's really surprising but wow literally nothing seems to work and it looks like absolute poo poo.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
I managed to get in and play for an hour or so but crashed after finishing a multiplayer job and can't get back in. Im uploading a few videos of what I saw while I'm trying to get back in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krJj5LYXUIQ

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Can't they rent some servers from Amazon EC2 or some other cloud type servers for a while? (please don't yell at me if this is stupid :()

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Obsurveyor posted:

The assassination missions seem to be set up to make the player money, why would they nerf them?

I'm just scared since it's the only way to make enough money to buy properties.

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Can't they rent some servers from Amazon EC2 for a short while? (please don't yell at me if this is stupid :()

Yeah I feel like the Elastic Cloud could probably help them here, but also I have no idea what those words mean.

I'm probably just gonna hold off till everything is working well (a day or three from now). I don't think there's any way for a launch like this to go well, I mean you can do beta testing all you want but you can't really prepare for hundreds of thousands of real players slamming your poo poo at the same time.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

RobTG posted:

Man, there's cracking wise and there's fuckin' outright cruelty.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

JGBeagle posted:

I assumed "Quicksave" meant what it meant on older games, you quicksaved and quit to the main menu so you load right back up from your break which would delete said file. If this is not the case I'm pretty sure it's too late for me to give a drat and replay the torture mission for the fourth loving time.

When has "quicksave" ever meant this? Off the top of my head I can't think of a single game where quick saving exits to the main menu. At best, quick save is a button you press in many games that saves into a file that you can quick load later. Every time you quick save, it replaces the last one. That's not what it means in GTAV, but I've never heard of what you're talking about.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MailboxFullOfBombs posted:

That's hilarious. Yes, those poor R* devs would be out on the streets because the company spent a few extra dollars on servers. But yeah, you're right, I shouldn't expect products I spend money on to work as intended, and if I get frustrated as a result, I'm an idiot man child.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
If I try to go to the online tab it says I don't have permission to acces the Xbox LIVE functionality. What's up with that?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

When has "quicksave" ever meant this? Off the top of my head I can't think of a single game where quick saving exits to the main menu. At best, quick save is a button you press in many games that saves into a file that you can quick load later. Every time you quick save, it replaces the last one. That's not what it means in GTAV, but I've never heard of what you're talking about.

Almost every handheld game and a significant number of console games that have a "quicksave" feature use it to mean what he was referencing. It's designed to let you save the game when you have to turn it off real quick, not as a replacement for "normal" saves. In this game it functions like a normal save you can use anywhere, so it makes the normal save completely pointless.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Online is pretty fun but a little too chaotic. It took me like 15 minutes just to change my clothes so I could progress through the game. Seems like you die a little too fast. Whats the cheapest property you can buy?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Just to bring up my point again.

I created a character, server crashed trying to load the first race. When I reconnected I had a bald gently caress with headphones as my character.

How to I change it?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

JGBeagle posted:

I assumed "Quicksave" meant what it meant on older games, you quicksaved and quit to the main menu so you load right back up from your break which would delete said file. If this is not the case I'm pretty sure it's too late for me to give a drat and replay the torture mission for the fourth loving time.
I can't remember the last game that did something like this.

MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010

DrNutt posted:

That's hilarious. Yes, those poor R* devs would be out on the streets because the company spent a few extra dollars on servers. But yeah, you're right, I shouldn't expect products I spend money on to work as intended, and if I get frustrated as a result, I'm an idiot man child.

Have you not seen the dozens of posts that explain why buying extra servers just to meet launch demand is a stupid waste of money?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Sondlar posted:

Something tells me a lot of Rockstar employees are going to be getting a nice hefty check of overtime pay. I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to be dealing with the colossal amount of poo poo they're diving into right now to get it working properly.

They're actually not really doing anything, though, right? I mean, I know they say "we're working on it" but it seems like the commonly accepted theory is that they let this happen on purpose to save money on servers. The full extent of their efforts seems to be waiting for the player population to die down.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Adam Bowen posted:

Having more servers ahead of time might be helpful, but I'm talking about solutions right this moment. It's not like they can just walk to the server store, buy some servers and plug them into an ethernet cable and magically all of the problems are fixed like so many internet retards think.

If you built your platform with the idea of being able to virtualize it, why wouldn't you be able to just purchase more instances from your hosting provider? Like, that's the whole idea of cloud computing and the endless virtualization datacenter consolidation bullshit that's been happening since 2010.

"Hey Amazon / Rackspace, I just purchased 100 more VM instances and I plan to bring them online, thanks."

Thats about the extent of the work needed to buy 100 server instances. Also you aren't stuck with them because you can then call them up next month and go "Hey Amazon / Rackspace, I'm reducing the amount of VMs I rent from you this month from 500 to 400."

The last piece of the puzzle is making sure the clients / consoles are pointing to an updatable list of IPs rather than a hardcoded one, but that's a really, really easy problem to solve in a ton of ways, so you can pretty much pick your preference.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

James Woods posted:

I managed to get in and play for an hour or so but crashed after finishing a multiplayer job and can't get back in. Im uploading a few videos of what I saw while I'm trying to get back in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krJj5LYXUIQ

Sweet preview of the character creator bro

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Boz0r posted:

If I try to go to the online tab it says I don't have permission to acces the Xbox LIVE functionality. What's up with that?

Go here: https://live.xbox.com/en-US/Account/Settings

Set it to "Adult."

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Does anyone know how to get past the bit where lester tells you to catch that police van? Most of the time, the thing doesn't show up on the minimap for ages, so you're driving around, then it shows up and you've no idea how to get to it because the road system is spagetti, then random cars get in your way or crash into you on purpose and you shoot the drivers, and the mission's failed.

On the two occasions I actually managed to stop the truck, either the police shot me because I couldn't get into cover on time, or I spent twenty minutes driving round and round the city trying to evade the police before being caught, I couldn't find anywhere to evade them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So has anyone on PS3 gotten on? Or is it a 100% don't bother situation? Also, has Rockstar said anything about this? ETA?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

With Trevor and the cult missions-
I took the couple to the hotel and not the cult, is there a way to activate the quests again ?

I don't think random events repeat, unless it's a generic robbery or mugging. Fear not though, there's plenty of other hitchhiker random events for Trevor to sell to the Altruists. If you come across a hitchhiker as Michael or Franklin, simply drive away and come back as Trevor.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

If I want to replay the final mission to see how it would've gone if I didn't pick option C, can I do that without screwing up my completed single player save? How does that work

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

DrNutt posted:

You shouldn't expect massive online games to work on launch day. That's been a fact of life for as long as I've been gaming online (15 years) and it's never, ever going to change. If you don't know much about IT and don't understand why they don't just buy hundreds of extra servers that will only be used for 24 hours, that's fine. But if you're still angry about something that is an unavoidable fact of online gaming then you might just be an idiot man-child.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

DrNutt posted:

You're not even a man. Just a child. Go play yo-yo till it's fixed or something.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man this character creation is bad, I don't understand how they could of thought this was a good idea. Does anyone know if the lifestyles affect what kind of cloths or hairstyles your character can buy once you get past the tutorial?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

Naw you're an idiot manchild because you're complaining about something that's probably gonna be fine forever by Monday, something that is a bonus or addendum to a fully-fledged GTA game with more content than GTA4 and easily 50+ hours of singleplayer content just in missions and minigames and poo poo not counting the sandbox fuckery, something Rockstar said outright would not be day and date with the game.

You also aren't wrong that it's weird how defensive goons get when you say "maybe the corporation should spend some of the hundred billion cartoon dollars they made and are going to make on this to ensure their product works instead of shrugging and 'shifting the launch day burden to the consumer'".

It is possible for an argument to make everyone in it look petty, childish, and ugly.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

stuart scott irl posted:

If I want to replay the final mission to see how it would've gone if I didn't pick option C, can I do that without screwing up my completed single player save? How does that work

The game has multiple save file slots, how do you think it works?

Sondlar
Sep 9, 2004

Feenix posted:

So has anyone on PS3 gotten on? Or is it a 100% don't bother situation? Also, has Rockstar said anything about this? ETA?

I managed to get the apparent race started but couldn't even enter cars or have the race trigger show up on the map, so I shot a few NPCs and quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virginia Blend
Jan 5, 2010
What I find hilarious in all this is the ingame radio commercial making fun of cloud computing when cloud computing is part of the issue here....wait could all this be intentional? Could this be Rockstars ULTIMATE joke on us?

My God....it's....it's genius. :stare:

• Locked thread