Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I'm pretty sure you need to adjust your pledge BEFORE the survey goes out, i.e. BEFORE the campaign ends.

I think in Bones I it was still possible to add money to your pledge when the survey went out.

But you shouldn't do that because that added money doesn't help us to reach higher stretch goals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Right, definitely that. On that note, those of you that have a few stretch goals you know you'll want but haven't added them? You should up your pledge now rather than later. If you do it NOW, it'll help push the total higher, which will reveal more goals, which will draw more people in, which will get you more stuff. If you wait till the very end, it'll hinder that self-reinforcing effect.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
To be honest, I don't think it'll affect things much, but even though I added up $78 in add-ons I now want, I changed my pledge to $200, just in anticipation.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Anyone know anything about their Master Series Paints? $18 for 12 pots sounds like a good value, but I don't know much about them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The problem is when in a year from now, she comes home to another dining table full of plastic crack. And yeah, it's not like I don't have my own bank accounts, I could do it, but I value my relationship, you know, and some things are not conducive to its health.

So instead, I shall bother her until she relents. Score.

TBF, we're getting married next august, so we probably can't afford it.

To be a bit more on-topic, yeah, if you know you want something, bump that pledge. It can only help to do it early.

Also, hooooly poo poo, it took what, three weeks to get to this stage last year? I'm assuming most of this is simply people re-upping from last year, rather than new business.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think reaper paints in general get pretty good reviews. I got all the paints from the last campaign and have no complaints. Although I think I've heard that other brands of washes may be better, I can't really say, my paint library is pretty limited at the moment.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Reaper paints are excellent including the HD series. They are my favorite paints out of the major manufacturers, but that is just personal preference. The dropper bottles aren't the best though and they are prone to clogging more than say Vallejo in my experience.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I've heard it's best to store them upside down. Confirm/deny?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Well it's probably not worse than right side up. It's not really a hassle either way, just shove a needle down there.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I have to say, the major thing that's really bugging me is will international backers get the shaft this time or not?

The shipping waves certainly imply they won't (i.e.even if you're international, wave 1 still ships before any of wave 2), but it's a major concern on my part still.

radlum
May 13, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

I have to say, the major thing that's really bugging me is will international backers get the shaft this time or not?

The shipping waves certainly imply they won't (i.e.even if you're international, wave 1 still ships before any of wave 2), but it's a major concern on my part still.

What happenned to international backers last time?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

I think you can safely assume that the "actual cost of shipping" a big heavy box of Bones, plus customs fees, from the US, is going to be somewhere between "really expensive" and "outrageously expensive." I'd budget at least like $50 for it.

radlum posted:

What happenned to international backers last time?

Reaper saved almost all the international shipments for last, and then trickled them out very slowly, without giving good updates about when they were finally going out. A lot of rest-of-worlders also got surprise customs duties on their packages, sometimes having to pay them before the packages would be released for delivery.

Meanwhile, Reaper claims they got pretty badly hosed by unexpected shipping costs, to the point that shipping some international orders cost more than they made (gross) on the pledge.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

They got punted to the very end of the line and were hit with surprise import costs. In all fairness, the end of the line stuff was due to the surprise costs stuff, because reaper wanted to go through every ROW order and make sure NOTHING was wrong so there wouldn't have to be any overseas corrections.

Anyhow, this time around, I'm pretty sure the only shaft ROW orders will be getting is the "pay actual shipping" costs thing, which is both nebulous and growing every time a stretch goal is hit. Which is understandably unavoidable.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Leperflesh posted:

I think you can safely assume that the "actual cost of shipping" a big heavy box of Bones, plus customs fees, from the US, is going to be somewhere between "really expensive" and "outrageously expensive." I'd budget at least like $50 for it.

I officially declare that a problem for future neon to deal with. Missed Bones I, in on wave 4 now.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

I'd budget at least like $50 for it.

I think you mean 50 pennywithers or farloothings or whatever they use over there.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Reaper will be paying for shipping from the US, so yeah it will be $50 or so.

thespaceinvader posted:

The only thing that's concerning is the 'actual shipping cost' part, but I've had heavy boxes sent to me from Texas before (books, food, etc.), and they're between $30-40 or so, so I think $50 is a good amount to expect for something the weight of the Bones 1 box.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 1, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

The only thing that's concerning is the 'actual shipping cost' part, but I've had heavy boxes sent to me from Texas before (books, food, etc.), and they're between $30-40 or so, so I think $50 is a good amount to expect for something the weight of the Bones 1 box.

Books often get a cheaper rate than other stuff, though, and you probably shouldn't assume Reaper is going to always pick the cheapest shipper for each target country. So it's really going to depend on the target country, I think.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The prices I know are from my mom sending me stuff from San Antonio (most recently a few weeks ago), and she never used media mail because it was all mixed stuff (not just books).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm definitely buying an extra set of Swamp Things once they let me. Turtles and frogs. :3:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

thespaceinvader posted:

Also, hooooly poo poo, it took what, three weeks to get to this stage last year? I'm assuming most of this is simply people re-upping from last year, rather than new business.

Yeah, with the first campaign it didn't really explode until it hit a critical mass with stretch goals that shifted it from ok or good deal to amazing deal. This time around, everyone expects it to be an amazing deal from the start so everyone's jumping in right away. I suspect it'll have the usual KS slump in the middle of the campaign rather than the steady growth and last week explosion like last time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, printed papers get special rates. Actual shipping costs have really stuck out to me as worrying; $25 was cheap for what they shipped over. I'm not convinced I'd actually go for the whole hog this time, but conversely, the main bulk is going to be the expensive bit.

There's some lovely stuff I'd love to get, but it's at the point where I can afford to be a lot more choosy about getting things which will actually be useful, rather than just getting things.

What I really hope is that, like last time, we'll have the opportunity to buy individual parts of the core set - I'd like the beastmen, but not a huge amount of the rest, for instance - to the point where I'd be more than willing to get in with a fellow UK good on an extra set of those, even if nothing else.

E: cashflow-wise, I'm expecting it to plateau extremely quickly; the vast majority of it will be return business, and that will be hopping on board mostly in the first few days.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Reaper has confirmed that you can add more core sets by increasing your pledge by $100 per set:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/reaper-miniatures-bones-ii-the-return-of-mr-bones/comments?cursor=4481246#comment-4481245

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sefer posted:

Yeah, with the first campaign it didn't really explode until it hit a critical mass with stretch goals that shifted it from ok or good deal to amazing deal. This time around, everyone expects it to be an amazing deal from the start so everyone's jumping in right away. I suspect it'll have the usual KS slump in the middle of the campaign rather than the steady growth and last week explosion like last time.

I think this is what's going on today, for sure. On the other hand, there were over 17,000 backers of Bones I; if 50% of them come back for Bones 2, we've still got a few thousand of those left to pledge, and then I'd expect this to attract a lot more new people as well.

It's going to be very interesting to watch.

One thing that is very smart: first day of the KS is the first day of the month, when a lot of people get paid.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just noticed that one of my favorite models is in the core set: http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/Dark%20Heaven%20Legends/latest/03614

It's mostly resin with some metal bits, so I'm really interested in seeing how it makes the transition to bonesium.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What's this now:

OK, so first, this is the next step up from $858k, so it's a HUGE step; second, you have to pay $50, but you get basically another tier they're adding more stuff to, but only when we get well into the millions of dollars.

I uh, I'm not sure I like this.

quote:

Alright, Kickstarters! You’ve gotten us pretty far, and it’s time throw out a completely NEW idea! This is our new Expansion Set - It's kind of like a Core Set, but it's got a different selection, and a greater emphasis on larger monsters. Instead of getting them all at $10 each, or per pair, we're giving you the whole bundle for $50 - and if there's not enough cool things in there right now, there will be other stretch goals that add more things to it, so the deal just gets better!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I assume there are other stretch goals between those, but they're getting a little too complicated.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I like the dragon turtle and the cave troll, but not enough to get the rest of the set.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, I'm wondering what this is but I'll wait until the pledging has been going for a day to see what this strategy is. Any ideas how they're playing this, anyone? I'm sure they've sat down with some analysts, or at least people who think they know how KS campaigns work, to see how they can avoid this slump everyone seems to think the pledging will go through.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
The expansion is listed as option #1 too. So I guess they have plans for more expansion sets? I'm sure calling it an option will be confusing to people though. Would be easy to assume you can only pick a single expansion with that wording.

That said, hope we don't see too many of them. The cost will rack up pretty quickly.

Personally I don't like the idea of bulk expansion packs. There are only a couple of minis from this that I like and would have prefered to just drop $10 on them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think this is a way to get a lot of $100 pledgers to go up to $150, if some of the later stretch goals enhance the $50 tier enough to make it desirable (I don't love it at $50 right now) instead of putting a lot more free stretch goals into the base $100 tier. The idea being, instead of someone deciding their budget is $140, and adding on four things, which they have to individually pick-and-pack, they can get someone to do a flat $150, and just mail them two standardized boxes at the end of the KS.

Or something, I dunno.

I could see this backfiring. If too many people who pledged today are pledging on the assumption that the $100 level will be massive (e.g., comparable to Vampire), but then later they get the strong feeling a lot of the good stuff is winding up in the +$50 packages, they may just look over at all their unpainted Bones I figures, and then cancel out of the whole thing.

Like, OK, I'm in for $100, plus some add ons up to $170 or so, but if I want the Big Pile like last time, I have to throw in two or three more +$50 options? Nope.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 1, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What I the most don't like about this is that it's labeled Expansion #1.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I guess the "core set expansion" wording implies that you will need to have bought into the $100 core set first?

If so, that's disappointing since if there's an expansion I like I'd enjoy being able to just tack $50 to my $1 pledge tier. I don't see why they can't do that if it's to keep things standardized into box sets like Leperflesh hypothesized.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm guessing that - I'm assuming that they got a decent number of responses that said 'I loved Vampire and wanted more like it; big blocks of options so I didn't have to pick'.

I'm also assuming that Vampire-style stuff is a lot easier to manage, because they came shipped, I believe, already packed from China, which saves a shitload on labour costs compared to manually picking the orders. If they can get people to buy two prepacked boxes rather than a prepacked box and half a dozen loose minis, that's probably massively beneficial.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Leperflesh posted:

I could see this backfiring. If too many people who pledged today are pledging on the assumption that the $100 level will be massive (e.g., comparable to Vampire), but then later they get the strong feeling a lot of the good stuff is winding up in the +$50 packages, they may just look over at all their unpainted Bones I figures, and then cancel out of the whole thing.

Like, OK, I'm in for $100, plus some add ons up to $170 or so, but if I want the Big Pile like last time, I have to throw in two or three more +$50 options? Nope.

Thing is though, do we know how cost effective the first kickstarter was, if at all? We did get an absurd amount of minis for our $100, considering what the eventual retail price for that stuff ended up being, can we even assume they broke even on the Kickstarter itself? I'm sure the marketing potential that it represented worked wonders, but I doubt this is going to have the same effect.

Just thinking outloud. I got the feeling that they started to go balls to the wall insane with adding minis to the vampire package once the ball started rolling. What that package represented on day 1 wasn't that amazing all said and done.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
So they are doing some weird +0.5 Bones buy-in with these expansions. What an odd concept. It's a pity it starts out at (relatively) poor value, but then so did base Bones itself.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Out of interest, is there a way to get (spammed with) updates without pledging? Otherwise, I might chuck in a buck just to stay informed.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Baby Sathanas posted:

Thing is though, do we know how cost effective the first kickstarter was, if at all? We did get an absurd amount of minis for our $100, considering what the eventual retail price for that stuff ended up being, can we even assume they broke even on the Kickstarter itself? I'm sure the marketing potential that it represented worked wonders, but I doubt this is going to have the same effect.

Just thinking outloud. I got the feeling that they started to go balls to the wall insane with adding minis to the vampire package once the ball started rolling. What that package represented on day 1 wasn't that amazing all said and done.

Well, they bought their injection moulding machine, so it must have done something right.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Someone in the comments brought up an excellent point, which is that the expansions would be a great way to do the scifi models that were inexplicably hated by so many people last time. As it stands it's a great way to save $50, and pick up the Derro warband when I see it at my LGS.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Out of interest, is there a way to get (spammed with) updates without pledging? Otherwise, I might chuck in a buck just to stay informed.

Pretty sure you have to pledge to get updates, just jump in at $1 and cancel before it ends if you're not going to get any models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

moths posted:

Someone in the comments brought up an excellent point, which is that the expansions would be a great way to do the scifi models that were inexplicably hated by so many people last time. As it stands it's a great way to save $50, and pick up the Derro warband when I see it at my LGS.

That would be ideal. I'd love to see the non-fantasy stuff split out like that - some modern minis, some steampunky and chronoscope stuff, some scifi, etc. Similarly, things like scenery would be great to split out - I like the scenery, but I'm reasonably unlikely to actually use it.

• Locked thread