Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

blackswordca posted:

It took some effort to be honest. But I was trying to remain professional. Didn't want to give them something to cling on to if this gets ugly.

If there is anything I have learned about business working for a small company, it's that other businesses are NOT your friend, and will gently caress you over without lube as hard and as long as possible without a second thought at a moments notice if they can get away with it.

Do not let them do that. Always start your prices at 20% over what you think is reasonable, CYA with a paper trail a mile long, and at the first sign of hesitance to pay you, shut down whatever it is that you gave them.

Also add water marks to anything you make until final payment is done, that way if they already a program you made, they have to deal with the water mark. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

blackswordca posted:

Thats pretty much the situation. With my luck, he will call during my interview.

If he calls you, during the interview or not, don't answer. Let him leave a message. Right now he still has some power over you because you are sitting thinking about what will happen when he calls you. Decide that when he calls, you will let it go to voicemail, and then depending on his message, call him back or not. You need to have control. If his message is just insults don't bother replying. Do you really want to continue to work with the guy if he is just calling you up to yell at you? Send him an email or certified letter asking him not to contact you and be done with it.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

A different planet, jesus christ

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

Caged posted:

"MY CONTACTS!!!"

Am I right in thinking these days are over now we're on Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010?

If so, thank gently caress.

I had a user in a strop with me over that once, "you didn't tell us we're not supposed to use that as an address book, how was I supposed to know, it's your job to tell us these things"
It was my mistake to think of it as a common sense kind of thing, sort of along the lines of having to tell someone "don't try to open a word document with the recycle bin, it won't work", but given how often it comes up with everyone I guess it never was.

GargleBlaster fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 1, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've been getting tickets every few days from the org founder's wife recently, who unfortunately is an affiliated scientist, so we have to pay attention to her.

:siren: follow links at own risk.

quote:

I know this person, but is this a safe link?
-------------------
To: M-----------
Subject: Fwd: top news

hey. how are you? top news http://emyce.com/oh/
I replied that it was probably sketchy, and to try responding to the email since she thought it was someone she knew, and ask them if they intended to send her the link.

A couple days later

quote:

This is a long-lost cousin of mine. I saw him once in 30 years about two years ago. I'd like to get in touch with him.

--------------
To: --------------
Subject: Fwd: great news

HEY!
news website http://pennsylvaniasportsman.com/grp/
Well congratulations on having a cousin.. Again, I replied to contact him and find out herself.

The following week...

quote:

Is this okay to open? Again, it is from my cousin, with whom I have had no contact with in 50 years, but if it's safe to open, I'd love to. However, I've been told it's better to be safe than . . .
-----------------
-----Original Message-----
Subject: Homeowners alert - HARP, 2.0, is Now Ready (learn more here)

It would be a Big-shame to uproot your family from where you currently live due to a foreclosure.
What if you could do something about that today? Well, you can.

Refinance to this low-2.75% rate to shave your monthly mortgage payments directly in half:
http://smtp2.companyenquiry.com/accept-lower.rates2143101nit4119694384/37185902846default.html

A revamped HARP helps every single homeowner in this country out of water. Learn more at:
http://smtp2.companyenquiry.com/accept-lower.rates3286204nit4119694384/37185902846default.html

Securing this rate today is imperative.

It is subject to rise at any moment. Lock it up now:
http://smtp2.companyenquiry.com/accept-lower.rates2143103nit4119694384/37185902846default.html

The bottom line is you can save $ 12,000 a year by refinancing with HARP!
It's a no-brainer.

:ughh:

I do like how she apparently was in a time-space vortex for 20 years, between one week and the next!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

GargleBlaster posted:

Am I right in thinking these days are over now we're on Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010?

If so, thank gently caress.

I had a user in a strop with me over that once, "you didn't tell us we're not supposed to use that as an address book, how was I supposed to know, it's your job to tell us these things"
It was my mistake to think of it as a common sense kind of thing, sort of along the lines of having to tell someone "don't try to open a word document with the recycle bin, it won't work", but given how often it comes up with everyone I guess it never was.
Does modern Outlook finally do the Thunderbird/Google Apps thing of having a separate address book of automatically picked up contacts?

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I think Exchange 2010 integrates the N1K file with your profile, finally.

When we migrated there were a few issues with it however.

Also ask me about migrating ~500 PST files *shoots self*

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

A task came in: Anyone know if I can look at a metric fuckton of computers in a domain and figure out who the primary user of each is? I don't mean just seeing who's logged in, I mean like saying reasonably "Machine 48572 is mostly used by John Frogout"

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Paladine_PSoT posted:

A task came in: Anyone know if I can look at a metric fuckton of computers in a domain and figure out who the primary user of each is? I don't mean just seeing who's logged in, I mean like saying reasonably "Machine 48572 is mostly used by John Frogout"

Youd have to either use last user or compile something from logon events I think

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I once migrated a 19Gb PST file. iirc I had to split it down into multiple PST files because you can't import a PST file bigger than 2Gb or something. It was like six years of every email he had ever received.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd be in favour of having email expire after 6 months or so, as long as waking up a message 'thread' meant that the entire thread stayed alive for at least that time. You'd hope it would encourage people to archive things that they really wanted to keep, or import them into some sort of documentation system.

What you'd actually end up with is a bunch of people crying that they can't keep every email they were ever sent, and the other half deciding that everything was important and needed to be shoved in with relevant documentation. Or just ignoring the retention limit and getting upset when their messages disappeared.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Yay for you, blackswordca!

Inspector_71 posted:

Funnily enough, the only real big issues with AutoCAD I ever had to deal with was how it handled printers!

That was because Windows' printer drivers had hard coded margins back then, and AutoCad wanted to write closer to the edge of the paper.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It's been a while, but I believe Spiceworks can show you users by profile-size.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Today I found out that there are still people in the world who use MS Publisher.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I had to pry FrontPage 2003 from my last company's web designer's cold old hands in 2012.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

Caged posted:

Today I found out that there are still people in the world who use MS Publisher.

There's a coach at work that has a bunch of ancient Microsoft Picture It! files from his long-dead windows 2000 home desktop he keeps trying to get me to help him open on his (win7) work laptop. They're for his off-season graphic design business.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Do you have SCCM in your environment?

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Remember that Asus I had to wait for for over two months?

CDW guy worked some magic and found one in stock that a customer changed his or her mind on, it arrived.

Rly brogham????

Now today, barely two months after being in service the CPU fan header has eaten itself. Plugged CPU fan into the chassis fan header and I'm crossing my fingers. 5-7 day turnaround time which I just know will balloon into 2 months if I give them the opportunity.

NEVER.AGAIN.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

skipdogg posted:

Do you have SCCM in your environment?

Not this one.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

Youd have to either use last user or compile something from logon events I think

teethgrinder posted:

It's been a while, but I believe Spiceworks can show you users by profile-size.

Huh, it seems there'd be a more novel approach to this. I can't be the only one who needs to try to match machine to user.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

A consultant years ago packaged a vbs script into an exe file that changes the AD description of each computer to the last logged in user. The exe runs on each login. I have no idea how it works. Works well though.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed

drukqs posted:

Rly brogham????

What am I supposed to be gawking at here? That windows experience index bullshit is pretty useless as a performance metric.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

b0red posted:

I once migrated a 19Gb PST file. iirc I had to split it down into multiple PST files because you can't import a PST file bigger than 2Gb or something. It was like six years of every email he had ever received.

Pfft, Ask Me About migrating us from a binder full of CDs, full of PST files originally exported from an Exchange archive mailbox, to GFI MailArchiver. Pulling them all off the CDs (literally hundreds of them, going back 10+ years and over 150GB in total), copying them up to the server and importing them back into an archive mailbox with PowerShell so that MailArchiver could import them via EWS.

:suicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Asus and Acer are a couple of brands that you only ever deal with once, and that time is painful enough that you manage to maintain an incredibly vivid memory of just how much hassle it was so that you never deal with them again.

Samsung are sort of the same for everything more complicated than a TV.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Caged posted:

Asus and Acer are a couple of brands that you only ever deal with once, and that time is painful enough that you manage to maintain an incredibly vivid memory of just how much hassle it was so that you never deal with them again.

Samsung are sort of the same for everything more complicated than a TV.

We contract warranty and printer work out to a 3rd party, and a few months back they literally dropped support of Acers due to how bad they were to work with/on. We had Acer laptops but we moved to HP after the completely boneheaded wireless switch on the most recent models we bought were getting hit accidentally and causing no end of support calls from people saying the wireless was down.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

GreenNight posted:

A consultant years ago packaged a vbs script into an exe file that changes the AD description of each computer to the last logged in user. The exe runs on each login. I have no idea how it works. Works well though.

What I actually did for this is create a folder called %logonserver%\netlogon\logons, shared it as logons$, gave Domain Users write/delete access to it, made a small login script with the commands:

code:
del /q \\%logonserver%\logons$\%username%_%computername%
ipconfig >\\%logonserver%\logons$\%username%_%computername%
Then I made a batch file on my machine called who.bat that just says:

code:
@dir/a-d/od %logonserver%\netlogon\logons\*%1*
So now I can type something like "who jdoe" and see all the machines jdoe logged into, or "who workstation55" and see all the users that logged into workstation55, sorted with most recent at the bottom, with ip info in the file. If you wanted to track ALL logins and not just the latest one for a given user/machine combo, you could remove the del line and modify the ipconfig one so it puts it in a subfolder by workstation, and add the date & time to the filename, and add a /s to the dir in who.bat. Of course that'd get really big really quick.

I guess you could put the share anywhere really, the DC netlogon share just seemed like an appropriate place for it to me.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 1, 2013

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

hihifellow posted:

We contract warranty and printer work out to a 3rd party, and a few months back they literally dropped support of Acers due to how bad they were to work with/on. We had Acer laptops but we moved to HP after the completely boneheaded wireless switch on the most recent models we bought were getting hit accidentally and causing no end of support calls from people saying the wireless was down.

Did they not have a way to disable that in the BIOS? We've been doing that on our Dell Latitude E5510's because the Anesthesiologists keep hitting the switch, then complain they can't connect to the network. This normally isn't a big deal as it's just flipping the switch but this is in an OR, so you have to put on a bunny suit, bouffant cap and face mask just to flip that drat switch.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

GargleBlaster posted:

Nothing has moved yet. This was about 4 months ago.

A company I worked at once hired some outside company to make a WordPress blog. That's literally all we wanted them to do, set up Wordpress on a server and make a simple little blog. Hell, I could have done it in an afternoon. They proceeded to do god knows what for months, then finally sent our team a request demanding that we install a bunch of crazy software on the Linux server they were using, including some weird remote desktop server software I've never heard of (the system in question didn't even have a desktop environment installed, because Unix servers don't need a goddamn desktop). We told them "No, you don't need all this, you're just installing Wordpress. You have Apache, you have PHP, you have MySQL, you have an FTP account. Now get to it."

They sat on their asses for another few months and did nothing. Then we fired them. :v:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

dennyk posted:

A company I worked at once hired some outside company to make a WordPress blog. That's literally all we wanted them to do, set up Wordpress on a server and make a simple little blog. Hell, I could have done it in an afternoon. They proceeded to do god knows what for months, then finally sent our team a request demanding that we install a bunch of crazy software on the Linux server they were using, including some weird remote desktop server software I've never heard of (the system in question didn't even have a desktop environment installed, because Unix servers don't need a goddamn desktop). We told them "No, you don't need all this, you're just installing Wordpress. You have Apache, you have PHP, you have MySQL, you have an FTP account. Now get to it."

They sat on their asses for another few months and did nothing. Then we fired them. :v:

Was it NX? (no machine). I did something like that a few years ago, pissed me off too. I'm a Windows guy, but I can do the basics in linux at the command line. I had to manage a squid box for a couple years, so I can get around OK without a GUI.

I setup a Cent 5 LAMP box for someone that needed one and sent the IP and u/p details. They send me an email saying they can't get in. I got confused, told them to SSH to to the box. They get confused, want to use their NX client. I just sighed and set it up for them.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
Dealing with Wordpress theme vendors can be a nightmare, especially if you were in my shoes having to push IE7 compatibility (for intranet) and they send you something decked out in HTML5/CSS3, or zip up an entire Wordpress installation.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I think you've got that backwards. The real travesty is still having to push ie7 compatibility in late 2013.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
A good reference image for adjusting rgb values between 2 displays?

We have some 55" LCDs on the walls to display stats, they each are driven by a PC in a wiring closet and some VGA over twisted pair boxes made by extron, they work great. Needed another LCD up there but found out we can't buy extron anymore, had to get some geffen brand. I didn't notice when I set it up but a user of it pointed out to me the "Christmas red and green" of his app looked pea green and pink. These new boxes have rgb adjustment screws, I'll display the same image on a good old extron one and the new lovely geffen one and twist poo poo till it looks right. Or is there a more methodical geeky way of going about this? The TV settings themselves are correct if you plug PC in directly or watch cable.

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Here's a quick and dirty. You'll need to give users permission to modify their Computers AD object description but I don't see that as being a massive security issue. Any optimizations or constructive criticism is welcome.

code:
on error resume next
Set WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")
Set objWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\.\root\cimv2")

' get service tag and computer manufacturer
For Each objSMBIOS in objWMI.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_SystemEnclosure")
serviceTag = replace(objSMBIOS.SerialNumber, ",", ".")
manufacturer = replace(objSMBIOS.Manufacturer, ",", ".")
Next

' get computer model
For Each objComputer in objWMI.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_ComputerSystem")
model = trim(replace(objComputer.Model, ",", "."))
Next

' get computer object in AD
Set objSysInfo = CreateObject("ADSystemInfo")
Set objComputer = GetObject("LDAP://" & objSysInfo.ComputerName)

' build up description field data and save into computer object
objComputer.Description = WshNetwork.UserName & " (" & serviceTag & " - " & manufacturer & " " & model & ")"
objComputer.SetInfo

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We've been rolling out new Cisco C-series and SX-20 video units for a bit, and recently they've shipped with version 6 on the firmware. This apparently added a neat feature that breaks the address book if you don't have a call manager/gatekeeper on your network, which I'm sure Cisco would be more then happy to sell to us. So far no one has noticed this is broke yet, so I really hope a case I have open with Cisco will answer some questions, because I'm sure stumped.

Also today I broke my 7 year old iPod trying to replace the battery, I ordered some cheap kit off of Amazon, the spudgers to open it were soft plastic which wasn't up to the task of prying open a ipod and one broke off. Trying to get that part out broke the other spudger. Using a small screw driver to help pry it open somehow nailed the screen. I went to send it back to Amazon and the response, no worries we'll just refund your money, you're cool. At least they are good to work with.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Vin BioEthanol posted:

A good reference image for adjusting rgb values between 2 displays?

We have some 55" LCDs on the walls to display stats, they each are driven by a PC in a wiring closet and some VGA over twisted pair boxes made by extron, they work great. Needed another LCD up there but found out we can't buy extron anymore, had to get some geffen brand. I didn't notice when I set it up but a user of it pointed out to me the "Christmas red and green" of his app looked pea green and pink. These new boxes have rgb adjustment screws, I'll display the same image on a good old extron one and the new lovely geffen one and twist poo poo till it looks right. Or is there a more methodical geeky way of going about this? The TV settings themselves are correct if you plug PC in directly or watch cable.

Twist the things until it looks right. People are going to judge whether it works based on how it looks, not the voltage level on the colour channels.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Huh, it seems there'd be a more novel approach to this. I can't be the only one who needs to try to match machine to user.

Login script that writes username and PCName to a csv file. Let it run for a month.

Open the csv in Excel and look at the users who logged into the same PCName the most.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Gonna start an inventory where you don't have one? That happened to me once. I like the suggestions here better than what I did to get my rough draft but I don't have enough ad rights to do what these suggestions say.

My way was a cli util called netusers.exe, will show you logged in user of whatever IP or name you give as a %1 to it. I made a .bat that did this app in a do/for loop of every IP in our old site's 2 subnets and >>'ed the output to a file. Ran the .bat a few times a day for a few days and I had 99% of what I needed minus people travelling or on PTO.

Edit I cleaned up/compiled all the output files with unixutils for windows grep then excel.

Edit again: my inspiration to do this was a (hypothetical) .bat I made thought of making years earlier to scan every ip's c$ for mp3z for me to copy.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 2, 2013

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
So I got in a "fight" recently with the guy in charge of our big rear end company's entire hardware line. He overheard me telling a customer about 10/100/1000 stuff (I'm setting up a big rear end network over the phone mind you) and how it all works and felt the need to call me out in front of everyone for being wrong. Without going into all kinds of stupid rear end detail, this is how the argument ended. Keep in mind he's not my direct boss so I'm actually in a position to call him out without instantly loving myself over.

me: "OK, so for example you're saying if I plug a laptop only capable of 10/100 into the network jack at my desk, it's going to bring every computer in this entire facility down to 10/100 speeds?"

boss: "Yes." He then calls over to one of our head IT guys (who knows his poo poo) and says "Hey Mike, if I plug a 10/100 box into my desk it's going to bring the whole network down to 10/100 right right?????"

Mike: (has 0 balls and doesn't want to confront boss) "Yeah as far as I know"

me: *very very politely and professional* (I am blown away at this point and not sure how to respond) "I don't mean to sound like an rear end but I'm 100% confident that's wrong. I'd even be willing to go home, get an old non-gigabit capable laptop, plug it in, and show you that I'm right."

boss: "I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that's how I've always understood it and how it's going to always be. I've been doing this a long time, call me old school."

me: "Nothing is wrong with being old school I've still got a 486 kicking in my garage so I'm not exactly fresh out of school myself. We're all on the same team here and I just want to make sure we're all on the same page with this stuff and represent ourselves to our customers correctly."

boss: "Believe what you want to believe I know what's correct."

me: "Ok cool it's all good" (I know this is a losing battle and just give up and say whatever, not worth the drama bomb)

I get home that evening and after all of this I'm starting to second guess myself because how can I know more than a guy in charge of millions of dollars of hardware and one our head IT guys? I call a couple of my buddies and they laugh and totally agree with me making me feel better and chills me the gently caress out. The next morning I have an email from said boss which is the closest thing to an apology it gets.

head hardware boss posted:

I have been thinking about our conversation and felt the need to do some fact checking. I called a couple of network gurus and ran your scenario past them and they agree with you. I've done some searching online and found information backing up both of our claims so I can agree to disagree. With modern switching what you say is true but I come from the school of old school and that's what I learned originally when working with gigabit Pentium II networks and I admit old habits die hard. I fully agree we're all on the same team. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention I'm glad to see you are so passionate about your beliefs, I like that, we need more of that here at [Company name].

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Tyson Tomko posted:

call me old school

I love how people don't realize how terrible this phrase is. Essentially, these four words in this situation communicate "I have been doing this longer than you, despite the fact that I have not bothered to update my understanding on any of the fundamental principles on which my job is based. My performance will ultimately reflect this and lead to decay in my department. No one will be allowed to dispute this, because I am OLD SCHOOL."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh hey my old boss was adamant about the same thing!

• Locked thread