Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

AndyElusive posted:

There kind of already is, but I guess that's more for crew requests.

Which would mean there's going to be three GTA5 threads going at once. On the upside that will probably really piss off that one off his rocker goon who's trading this game in for Saints Row 4. So I vehemently support the creation of a third GTA thread.

The request thread is in PGS, so it'd only be 2 threads still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Kid Gloves posted:

Honestly the game's been open for like 12 hours at this point? It'll probably be fine by this weekend and for the next several years after that, so y'know, just deal with it until then. It's like this with all huge games.

This hasn't really been the case in a long time, a lot of recent MMO launches (aside from the FFXIV relaunch) have been really smooth. SWTOR had over a million players logging in at release, and their launch was practically pristine.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

SplitSoul posted:

It should probably go at the top of the OP that :siren: you should make a manual save or three before attempting to play Online, perhaps even before accepting the patch :siren:, or you might lose or gain unwanted progress in single-player because Rockstar.

Seriously, the game allows you to make as many saves as you want and does so pretty quickly why the gently caress aren't people doing this anyway?!?

I am amused that R* is pretty much :dice:'ey at the moment.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Oh man, that was pretty fun. Hooked up with a random person who had voice chat because I haven't got a crew yet and none of my friends that have been playing GTAV have managed to get past the server troubles I guess.

We were terrorizing the city, robbing and running from the cops, shooting up players now and then. I got disconnected from the session(host quit or something, probably) and lost him. I can't find him in my Recently Met friends list on Xbox Live either because GTAV just poisons the poo poo out of that list, filling it up with everyone who joins and leaves/quits/crashes immediately.

Anyone that can join GTA Online and want to screw around for awhile, friend me up. Same name as the forums.

edit: Oh yeah, Passive Mode is completely worthless. You can still get shot, run over, whatever. It does absolutely nothing but put a cross through your name. It might gently caress up people's rep for killing you though, that's all I can think of.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Getting a very mixed result trying online at the moment. 360 Euro goon here. At first my session was freezing at the very start. Then I got in and was able to do two missions with some pubs. But when I attempted to join the first deathmatch it froze out and disconnected from live. I had to restart my Xbox to be able to connect again. Gonna try hosting it this time, see if that makes a difference.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think I almost got in to the race, but then it sat at launching sessions for like 10 minutes.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I don't think this stupid race bullshit would even bother me so much if I didn't have to drop all the way back to the dashboard to get out of it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
So for anyone who's actually gotten into GTA:O in say the last eight hours, did you have more success with the "restart 10000 times" approach or the "let it sit on Launching Session for 6 years" approach

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Psion posted:

So for anyone who's gotten into GTA:O in say the last eight hours, did you have more success with the "restart 10000 times" approach or the "let it sit on Launching Session for 6 years" approach

I sat on "waiting for players" for at least an hour to no avail.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I made a badass bro to rep Goon Street then lost him. RIP.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Had some fun earlier, then some random person decided that loving off to the top of the mountain with the objective because gently caress you was the way to play Crooked Cops, lovely.

Need to figure out how to make a game friends + crew only.

And so far there is so much poo poo that should be in the single player, god drat.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
Whoever makes the GTA:O thread, please make this the title (I forget which goon originally posted it)

GTA Online: You Ain't Gotta Like It 'Cuz You Can't Log On

:allears:

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

Same here.

Also,

lady blue shanghai posted:

Whoever makes the GTA:O thread, please make this the title (I forget which goon originally posted it)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hace posted:

So I got the online end working for a few hours, and it was working pretty well for a good while (I was on 360 for what it's worth). The game
2. Everybody has auto-aim and it's a nightmare. I'm pretty sure I don't need to tell you about how hosed up the balancing is because of that. You can pretty much lock onto people who aren't even on your screen at all and that are like a full block away no problem, which is fine for singleplayer obviously but duuuuuuuuuuuude it doesn't work here.

As a result, deathmatches and the like are hilariously broken and you'll be lucky if you last 10 seconds after you spawn, since anyone with a pistol basically becomes a sniping god.
I'm pretty sure the aiming mode is up to the host, I've joined games where it prompts you like "you have an incompatible aiming mode with this session, would you like to change Y/N?".

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Psion posted:

So for anyone who's actually gotten into GTA:O in say the last eight hours, did you have more success with the "restart 10000 times" approach or the "let it sit on Launching Session for 6 years" approach

Reset twice, have been playing uninterrupted for a few hours now. Euro 360.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Loading Online ....

TEN HOURS LATER

... Loading Online...

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Well now, instead of Waiting on Other Players, I've got Launching session, so maybe that's progress.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

Psion posted:

Waited on Launching Session.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

SpazmasterX posted:

Don't bother with Jobs at all. The servers that manage them are totally overwhelmed(this isn't just auth poo poo now because I can get into sessions just fine). Just find a partner or 3 and team up and rob and steal, do tricks, party, etc. Just don't do instance stuff.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

lady blue shanghai posted:

GTA Online: •Occasional "Rockstar Cloud Servers Unavailable" error message

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

When I was playing I didn't have a problem with the aim. It's like Call of Duty/Halo aim assist where it snaps a bit if you are close when you aim and slows down if you scroll across them. It has a gravity well type effect, I thought it was well done.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Psion posted:

Restarting a ton of times.

Effect
Jul 31, 2003
I got into the online part about 40 minutes after it came on. Set the world record in the first race because it was just me and Lamar :cool: If you set a world record for a race you get 800 bonus rep points!

The only weird thing I encountered was not losing my actual cash when getting wasted. I only got to level 5, am I wrong in assuming it's not turned on until level 10 to keep early griefing down?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Well now, instead of Waiting on Other Players, I've got Launching session, so maybe that's progress.

It's not. :(

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.
I just want to logon and find my Scooter Brothers.

Also, the launching session would be more bearable if I could play the radio and not loop this music.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Effect posted:

I got into the online part about 40 minutes after it came on. Set the world record in the first race because it was just me and Lamar :cool: If you set a world record for a race you get 800 bonus rep points!

The only weird thing I encountered was not losing my actual cash when getting wasted. I only got to level 5, am I wrong in assuming it's not turned on until level 10 to keep early griefing down?

I set the world record 1 hour after launch with 7 other players racing me :smug:.

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013
Serious question- why does Rockstar have such G rated word censors in place? I wouldn't care at all if this were another game, but why does a game that features explicit nudity and graphic torture draw the line at me using the word "butt" in character creation?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
^^^ It's not really a good look if half of your community's group names are "CuNTFuCKERZ6969" or terrible something like that.

homeless snail posted:

I'm pretty sure the aiming mode is up to the host, I've joined games where it prompts you like "you have an incompatible aiming mode with this session, would you like to change Y/N?".

Oh for real? I hadn't run across that in the 5 or so games I played, so I just assumed it was just always auto-aim all the time.

Still, most games are probably going to have auto-aim regardless, since that's the default as far as I can tell.

Hace fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 2, 2013

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Haha, I ran out of money because I can't do job,s and now I'm out of bullets. That's the flaw to free-mode all day, I guess (since I can't join jobs very often).

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Rob convenience stores, get cash, gently caress bitches

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW

Darko posted:

Haha, I ran out of money because I can't do job,s and now I'm out of bullets. That's the flaw to free-mode all day, I guess (since I can't join jobs very often).

You could always buy some GTA$

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I understand rep points, they let you unlock things. What do job points get me?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Darko posted:

Pretty sure pointing any gun at a shopkeeper will make them give you money.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hace posted:

Oh for real? I hadn't run across that in the 5 or so games I played, so I just assumed it was just always auto-aim all the time.

Still, most games are probably going to have auto-aim regardless, since that's the default as far as I can tell.
Yeah its a pain, the solution for GTA4/RDR was to make sure you or a buddy were always the ones hosting so everyone else would be playing on your terms and I guess that's how it'll end up here. Seems like something they should have thought about.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So once GTO actually works, can I just go private and gently caress around? Don't wanna deal with pubbies.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I understand rep points, they let you unlock things. What do job points get me?

You can do multiple jobs/matches in a session with the same group. JP breaks ties for the leaderboard.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Alteisen posted:

So once GTO actually works, can I just go private and gently caress around? Don't wanna deal with pubbies.

Yeah. And you're right, you don't. You really don't.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

Stux posted:

Pretty sure pointing any gun at a shopkeeper will make them give you money.

Usually. They sometimes tell you to gently caress off. So they get a shotgun to the face.

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.

Darko posted:

Do a race. It works better if you try and host a race/job rather than join one. I've been playing for the last 2 hours and all I notice is some lag during races when there are 5 cars trying to pass each other.

I'm trying to figure out if you can talk to everyone in your free-roam without having to call them or invite them to a Xbox chat party. Does anyone know if I see another player and I am within x distance can we talk without having to call?

Otherwise, I'm having a blast. The jobs (outside of the "story" driven ones) are a bit limited. Deathmatch, racing or "missions" which are death match, though Crooked Cops is a really good time.

So far I've tried to get matched with people from Goon Street and got in with one dude. I guess when more people can log in we can have 16 Goon Street players together.

Just a warning, the races are BS. If you crash once, you have no hope of catching up, even if you turn the enigmatic "Catchup" option on. Death Matches were much more fun when I realized cover actually does something and you shouldn't immediately run straight at the other team. If anyone has questions about online I'm happy to answer. It seems when you first start you don't have a safe house or anything? I'm at rank 7 and about 10k cash and I'm thinking about buying some GTA$ just to buy a safehouse since it seems they are all unlocked to begin with, the only thing stopping me from buying the 10 car garage is my lack of funds.

All in all, this poo poo is pretty fun though it took me way too long to figure out how to let someone else into my car/split up the money from a liquor store robbery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Alteisen posted:

So you mean like single player? Yea, the game has that.

• Locked thread