Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Not really, not for the combined/humanoid modes anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Dexie posted:

Go-busters?

Yeah, GoBusters all the way. They didn't even have a combined cockpit.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

I hope Trainrangers get real cockpits rather than this black void nonsense.

I honestly hate that the black void stuff has become default. The worst is that the actors are really just standing there trying to look engaged. It hit bottom on Gokaiger with them spinning their ship wheels like idiots.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

I honestly hate that the black void stuff has become default. The worst is that the actors are really just standing there trying to look engaged. It hit bottom on Gokaiger with them spinning their ship wheels like idiots.

I actually liked Gokaiger's silly wheel-spinning. v:downs:v
Better than standing around making vaguely-related motions on pedestals.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Gokaiger cockpits paid off with Gai having the bizarre multi-wheel setup.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Potsticker posted:

I actually liked Gokaiger's silly wheel-spinning. v:downs:v
Better than standing around making vaguely-related motions on pedestals.

I dunno, I can at least understand how 'vaguely-related motions' translates to the actual movements of the robots. With stuff like Go-Busters and Boukenger, you have simple movements of basic looking controls somehow turning into complex and fine movements for the mecha. It's less 'believable' to me so I'm okay with the black void (or the Shinkenger/Dairanger 'mental control' approach). Gokaiger's was terrible though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

DiscoJ posted:

I dunno, I can at least understand how 'vaguely-related motions' translates to the actual movements of the robots. With stuff like Go-Busters and Boukenger, you have simple movements of basic looking controls somehow turning into complex and fine movements for the mecha.

One could assume that the buddyroids help with the more complex manuvers.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DiscoJ posted:

I dunno, I can at least understand how 'vaguely-related motions' translates to the actual movements of the robots. With stuff like Go-Busters and Boukenger, you have simple movements of basic looking controls somehow turning into complex and fine movements for the mecha. It's less 'believable' to me so I'm okay with the black void (or the Shinkenger/Dairanger 'mental control' approach). Gokaiger's was terrible though.

Dairanger was fine because they were sitting down in a magical cockpit. If it were more things like that I would have no problem with it.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
KITsubs announced their new project

YES!

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
So Kyoryu Silver is most definitely Torin I think. He's even doing his snapping finger pose in the role call. Sorry Mr Daigo.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Scratchman Apoo posted:

So Kyoryu Silver is most definitely Torin I think. He's even doing his snapping finger pose in the role call. Sorry Mr Daigo.

Best theory I've seen is that he's Ian thought-to-be-dead buddy who used used to be Go-On Black

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Why aren't we expecting someone totally new like usual? Is it because no actor has been announced?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Mostly because they made it too obvious and this show hasn't exactly been subtle about anything.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

Why aren't we expecting someone totally new like usual? Is it because no actor has been announced?

His suit and revolver fit Torin's color scheme and apparently in the episode he premieres the gang fights Mad Torin, a monster Chaos creates that looks identical to Torin. Episode where a new ranger is going to have the spotlight + episode where Torin is going to have the spotlight, seems pretty conclusive to me.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
So something similar to Deka Master from Dekaranger?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Cliff Racer posted:

The only other candidate was Daigo's dad, and a pretty convincing one at that.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I wonder if Power Rangers to Japanese fan subs translate the jokes or localize them.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
I just watched Karate Robo Zaborgor on Netflix. It has Go-On Red getting hit in the face with tit tentacles. It's supposed to be based on the old '70s series but, uh, there's some liberties.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Parmesan Basil posted:

I just watched Karate Robo Zaborgor on Netflix. It has Go-On Red getting hit in the face with tit tentacles. It's supposed to be based on the old '70s series but, uh, there's some liberties.
I've been meaning to watch that one. It looks so wonderfully insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_emPOYRrleA

:allears:

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
It was directed by the guy who did Robo-Geisha, so that accounts for a lot of things.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Sometimes I think it was commentary on sexism in toku but then the climax happens and I just don't even know what to think.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Some street ads for Gaim have been posted on /m/, including this one.

It says "Ore, orenji?" or "Me, Orange?" Between Kyoryuger and this, we're going to have so much dancing and puns.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
The next back-catalog Rider series to get Blurays is Faiz, with the first box coming out January 10th. source

E/N :words: below:

This is the worst series for Toei to have picked. Here's why everything else is a better choice:

All of the Showa series, and the three '90s features (Shin, ZO, and J) were shot and edited on film with only two exceptions: the two Black specials. Aside from 50 minutes, all of that exists in HD quality, and they have 1080p masters made already.

Kuuga was shot in 1080i, but needs a TNG remastering job BADLY since it was edited in an SD letterbox.

Hibiki was shot and edited in 1080i, and Kabuto-Decade were shot and edited in 720p.

Four series (Agito, Ryuki, Faiz and Blade) were shot and edited in 480i. Of these, Faiz is the worst by far.

Now, Faiz on BD would be fine, and even an improvement ofer the DVDs if it weren't for one simple fact: nobody ever takes full advantage of Bluray supporting video that isn't 1920x1080.
The only modes anyone ever used for stuff that isn't bonus content are 1920x1080 at 24 frames per second, 50 fields per second, or 60 fields per second.

You have a fullscreen show? They use a 1920x1080 mode and give it pillar boxes, instead of using one of the 1440x1080 modes.
You have a show that was made at 720p, like most HD TV animation? It gets upscaled. The 1280x720 modes (available at 60, 50, and 24 f4rames per second, and 60 fields per second) get unused.
You have a show made in SD, be it digital or analog? Bluray supports SD at 720x480 at 60 fields per second, and 720x576 at 50 fields per second, both capable of displaying at 4:3 and 16:9, just like the interlaced modes on DVDs. This is great! You can fit everything from a 12-disc DVD release on one or two Blurays, and have better video quality thanks to having bluray's x264 compression instead of DVD's mpeg2. TOO BAD! 1080 upscales for everyone! And if you're unlucky, you get a QTEC upscale.

Anything that isn't upscaled on a Bluray is probably a bonus feature. And lots of times, those get upscaled. Even if the original source is a nth generation copy of a field-blended broadcast tape, they may just upscale it too. (I'm looking at you, SDF Macross and Macross 7 commercials collections, and you, original broadcast version of SDF Macross episode 11)

The one good thing about all this? We might get the Faiz musical Hyper Battle Video on something that's not VHS.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Latest episode of Kyoryuger: a Nobu episode where we learn a little more about his sister. She's as strong as her brother.
Also, don't skip the last dance during the credits sequence. :syoon:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Kyoryuger just keeps getting better and better. Nothing beats a Nossan-focused episode, especially one that has a fantastic not-so-stealth Gokaiger reference in it. And next week looks fantastic too. I wonder what those X and V batteries do

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
I did a double take during the roll call when it sounded like Nossan said "So try and stop [PENIS!]"

And next week looks like it has the potential to be as awesome as Dairanger Soccer or Dairanger Baseball.

toomanyninjas fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 1, 2013

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

toomanyninjas posted:

I did a double take during the roll call when it sounded like Nossan said "So try and stop [PENIS!]"
Thank god it wasn't just me.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Best part of the last Kyoryuger: King taking off his sunglasses under his helmet.

The joke lasted half a second, but I was cracking up for the rest of the fight.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!

Needs More Jazz posted:

Best part of the last Kyoryuger: King taking off his sunglasses under his helmet.

The joke lasted half a second, but I was cracking up for the rest of the fight.

I tried to come up with some kind of David Caruso joke, but they all ended up sounding like something Nossan would say.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

toomanyninjas posted:

I tried to come up with some kind of David Caruso joke, but they all ended up sounding like something Nossan would say.

And that doesn't make things even better... how?

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
i'm sorry i haven't updated the op in just about forever.

someone bug me and i swear i'll do it today. just not now.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chibs posted:

i'm sorry i haven't updated the op in just about forever.

someone bug me and i swear i'll do it today. just not now.

If/When you do, would it be too much trouble to include stuff like Danger Five or that French one (France Five I think it was)? Also, KITsubs are doing Akumaizer-3, so that might be worth a mention as well.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I'd say if the previous Wizard episode was Decade at its worst, this one was more like Decade at its best (that is to say, nothing but a huge CGI-laden fight).

It was kind of weird hearing some Riders speak, though, when half of their voice clips were recycled from their respective shows, while the other half were recorded by completely different-sounding actors. Except Momotaros, whose voice actor I'm pretty sure must live at Toei's studios by now.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Fred is on posted:

Except Momotaros, whose voice actor I'm pretty sure must live at Toei's studios by now.

Nah, he's going to be possessing a young girl this season for Studio Trigger.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat

Fred is on posted:

I'd say if the previous Wizard episode was Decade at its worst, this one was more like Decade at its best (that is to say, nothing but a huge CGI-laden fight).

It was kind of weird hearing some Riders speak, though, when half of their voice clips were recycled from their respective shows, while the other half were recorded by completely different-sounding actors. Except Momotaros, whose voice actor I'm pretty sure must live at Toei's studios by now.

Well, people who primarily work as VAs can be brought in to record a few lines on a short notice much easier than on-camera actors.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Looks like Power Rangers will run on Nickelodeon until at least 2016. I hope the negotiated more episodes and proper separate seasons.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

Liar Lyre posted:

Looks like Power Rangers will run on Nickelodeon until at least 2016. I hope the negotiated more episodes and proper separate seasons.

Go-Busters and Kyoryugers on Nick sounds like hilarious good time fun.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I just realized that we didn't have a "transitional" ending montage like we did for each series from W thru Wizard. I would have loved to see how they would have fit a dance battle in the middle of Wizard's world.

e: Or maybe they did have one, but that would require me to pay attention more to the series.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Am I a bad person for wanting a Kyoryuger jersey? I can always tell people it's some Euro basketball team, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

• Locked thread