Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
He brain pushes corpses out the door. Hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Brainamp posted:

Well the game is balanced for the most part I think. The only examples of imbalance are the ghost armor and squadsight, though that's more cause snapshot is so bad and all the highest tier armor is better for different playstyles.

Yeah sorry for misleading you, my post wasn't really about xcom so much as it was about how loving kickass Ananda Gupta is at designing games. They should have done for this what they do for those hacks American McGee, Chris Roberts or Tom Clancy and plastered Ananda's name all over the promotional material.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Just went on another XCOM bender after hearing that EW is in the pipe. Given that they seem to be mostly beefing up the lategame I'm not sure what to think about it, there's something cathartic about that lategame stage right as you get plasmas and firestorms when everything avalanches in your favour. It's not terribly challenging in the late game, but that's kind of the point -- you can still get your poo poo pushed in if you do something stupid, but the pressure of not enough satellites, not enough money, not enough engineers, not enough scientists, not enough time isn't there any more.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

On the final mission

I don't seem to have anywhere to go, there are three shimmering style doors ahead of me. One on the main bridge I am on, then one on a lower elevation either side. It's quite near the start where you face some floaters. The doors aren't opening for me and I can't move past them. Glitch or am I just thick as heck?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

On the final mission

I don't seem to have anywhere to go, there are three shimmering style doors ahead of me. One on the main bridge I am on, then one on a lower elevation either side. It's quite near the start where you face some floaters. The doors aren't opening for me and I can't move past them. Glitch or am I just thick as heck?

There's probably one alien left hiding somewhere that you need to kill.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hrm I have been up and down the area, I will restart just to be safe. Just for clarity, there is no special trick to that area? I have been walking my Psi person up to everything like a total lemon

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

EmmyOk posted:

Hrm I have been up and down the area, I will restart just to be safe. Just for clarity, there is no special trick to that area? I have been walking my Psi person up to everything like a total lemon

Nope. The only thing you have to do with the Volunteer is keep him alive and throw rifts at everything.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Specifically, there is a sectoid spawn by one of the lower doors in the first room that is really easy to miss.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Pass through all 3 doors leading into that room, and explore both lower elevations on either side. Should reveal more aliens with a voiceover. It's really stupid design. Once killed the 3 doors leading out will open/become interactive

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I'm trying to install Long War. In the interminable readme they say to verify that soldier hp is 4. It is 5. Everything else seems to match up though (3 shots on the AR, 3 hp on the sectoids). Did they maybe just change the starting hp and forget to update the stupid readme?

I thought I was very careful about the install. Also I still have have the "XComGame\CookedPCConsole\XcomGame.upk.uncompressed_size" file. I think maybe this is because I had toolboks installed before, even though I did verify gamecache before starting this whole ordeal.

Any ideas?

I get that it's just a very modding unfriendly game but I hate how you can't even tell if the loving thing installed or not. They really should just have their own checksum verifier in the installer or some poo poo.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Umm, it's right there when you start a new game. "Select Long War Difficulty." If it doesn't say "Long War" there it ain't installed.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
No that part works. The whole problem is that you can have some parts of the mod working but not others and it's pita to check all of them.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Do your rookies have 4 or 5 hp to begin with? e: in LW 2.1

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Mr. Wynand posted:

No that part works. The whole problem is that you can have some parts of the mod working but not others and it's pita to check all of them.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Do your rookies have 4 or 5 hp to begin with? e: in LW 2.1

Starting rookies in Long War should have 3hp with +2 from the basic armour. If you've got that it's working fine.

E: Oh wait it looks like that got changed again from 2.0 to 2.1, so they should be 4+1. Either way, 5 total health.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Darox posted:

Starting rookies in Long War should have 3hp with +2 from the basic armour. If you've got that it's working fine.

E: Oh wait it looks like that got changed again from 2.0 to 2.1, so they should be 4+1. Either way, 5 total health.

I want to stab whoever wrote the readme for not perhaps mentioning that they meant base hp. Seriously.

I just wiped and redownloaded the whole thing. Grrr.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Zigmidge posted:

Holy poo poo! That's where I recognized that name from!

Yeah, if Ananda designed Enemy Within this is probably going to be the single most balanced video game ever. I'm certainly going to eat those words later

If you're into board games and you haven't played Twilight Struggle you're pretty much just a poser. Get on that asap.

:monocle: Holy poo poo

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Mr. Wynand posted:

:monocle: Holy poo poo

Fingers crossed.

Just had my happiest :xcom: moment in my most recent playthrough. One mission before the Temple Ship, I get an asset recovery. So I take my A-team of Psi Colonels for kicks. Many Thinmen died. Spamming grenades at shadows, walls, anywhere I think I thought one of those jerks might be hiding. Threw battle scanners and wiped whole patrols from around corners with the blaster launcher. Hilarious. They didn't even know what the hell hit them.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/xcom-enemy-within-hands-on-meet-earths-new-defenders/

another preview up of EW. Still no real new info, but there's confirmation that teleportation and flanking bugs have been fixed at least.

It does contain mention of the player being able to give soldiers medals for specific accomplishments, as well as cause of death being listed on the memorial now. Couldn't remember if those had been confirmed already.

There's also more stonewalling by the devs when questioned about base invasions and human antagonists.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Beat the last mission finally, thoroughly enjoyable overall. The spawn point of sectoids went off no problem this time even though I used the same approach as previously. The two sectopods almost killed my volunteer and best soldier(a sniper I had from the first mission). The final room was beautiful, I ran my two assaults ahead in cloaking revealing the enemies. Then my nearly dead sniper just double tapped the 'boss' from a monster distance and that auto killed the other enemies which was nice.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

That's pretty close to how my first victory happened...the only difference was that my sniper from the beginning of the game who took the final shot was also my Volunteer. Jose "Narc" Rodriguez saved the world. Twice!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

jng2058 posted:

That's pretty close to how my first victory happened...the only difference was that my sniper from the beginning of the game who took the final shot was also my Volunteer. Jose "Narc" Rodriguez saved the world. Twice!

Somehow Eduardo 'Ghost' Vasquez returned negative from Psi testing. I can only assume because the game decided, "That guy is too rad already, give the aliens a chance!

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I didn't see it in the OP or first couple of pages: Does anyone know how critical hits are calculated relative to hit chance?

Are hit and crit rolled independently, or does it only roll the crit after the hit roll has succeeded? As an example, if a sniper (presumably using Headshot) has 90% hit chance but 100% crit chance, is that shot guaranteed to crit no matter what, or is it only a 90% chance to crit because of the hit roll?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
You have a 90% chance to hit. That hit has a 100% chance to be a critical.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

gannyGrabber posted:

You have a 90% chance to hit. That hit has a 100% chance to be a critical.

Good to know. Thanks.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Slashrat posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/xcom-enemy-within-hands-on-meet-earths-new-defenders/

another preview up of EW. Still no real new info, but there's confirmation that teleportation and flanking bugs have been fixed at least.

It does contain mention of the player being able to give soldiers medals for specific accomplishments, as well as cause of death being listed on the memorial now. Couldn't remember if those had been confirmed already.

There's also more stonewalling by the devs when questioned about base invasions and human antagonists.

There's a bunch of new Steam achievements depicting enemy human snipers and medics, and kills scored by "XCOM base defense" personnel. It's kind of confirmed at this point.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

There's a bunch of new Steam achievements depicting enemy human snipers and medics, and kills scored by "XCOM base defense" personnel. It's kind of confirmed at this point.

Oh WE know that. The various interviewers who are getting stonewalled on those matters know that. And the developers, or at least some intern, surely browse boards like this one and they know that we know.

However, the masters of PR decree that "thou shalt not vary from thy talking points" and since these guys like staying employed, it's all "we're not talking about that yet" and "right now we're talking about THIS." Which is why the most interesting parts of Gupta's appearance on Three Moves Ahead was when they moved away from Enemy Unknown and talked Twilight Struggle.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The first time I played the final mission, I thought you could actually get by without fighting the Ethereals in some weird peaceful resolution. It didn't help that the mutons in the last room didn't have their weapons render for whatever reason.

It was a nasty surprise when they started throwing psychic attacks at me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SlothfulCobra posted:

The first time I played the final mission, I thought you could actually get by without fighting the Ethereals in some weird peaceful resolution. It didn't help that the mutons in the last room didn't have their weapons render for whatever reason.

It was a nasty surprise when they started throwing psychic attacks at me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPMmC0UAnj0

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

jng2058 posted:

However, the masters of PR decree that "thou shalt not vary from thy talking points" and since these guys like staying employed, it's all "we're not talking about that yet" and "right now we're talking about THIS." Which is why the most interesting parts of Gupta's appearance on Three Moves Ahead was when they moved away from Enemy Unknown and talked Twilight Struggle.

I'm sure they said they'd be talking about the new strategic stuff before the end of the month, but everything recent has been the same old. Time's ticking!

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I haven't played this game in a few weeks now because of school, work and politics (real nerd), but I've just entered the Mothership. How much longer do I have, relatively speaking, until I finish the game?

I would also like to thank this entire thread for helping me through the game, and coolguye for convincing me to play on classic difficulty. I played about 20 hours on normal and thought it was hard, then came across his arguments for classic difficulty and started a new game. Then I started a new game. Then I started a new game... I'm glad I did though, even if I hated him for 3 or 4 days. The dynamics of the game really were fundamentally better and it wasn't that it was harder, it was that it was just that much more brutal. It really made the game more personal.

I do have a question, once you have mind controlled an alien, can you kill them? Sure you can toss grenades and rockets at them, but is there a simpler and less expensive option?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Pohl posted:

I do have a question, once you have mind controlled an alien, can you kill them? Sure you can toss grenades and rockets at them, but is there a simpler and less expensive option?

Not directly. I tend to use mind controlled units as meat shields, so they usually get killed by other aliens (note that if they die like this, you get their weapon at the end of the mission, which is a good way to get plasma, and heavy plasma weapons if you're not already swimming in them).

You can also just set him in an area with no cover, make sure his grenades are spent, and just have everyone overwatch him from high cover on the turn he flips back.
As long as he doesn't have a flanking shot on anybody, or has someone close by in low cover, he should just take no action.
This can still be a bit annoying, but is reliable.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Pohl posted:

I haven't played this game in a few weeks now because of school, work and politics (real nerd), but I've just entered the Mothership. How much longer do I have, relatively speaking, until I finish the game?

If by mothership you mean templeship then that is the last mission.

There is no easy way to kill a MC enemy, other than surround him with everyone on overwatch.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Yeah, that is what I meant. Sometimes I use them as scouts and they get so far ahead of my team that I can't surround them though. Then, when they turn, they don't have to activate so they pop up with a grenade out of nowhere and cause mass havoc. I'll have to rethink my strategy. Thanks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pohl posted:

Sure you can toss grenades and rockets at them, but is there a simpler and less expensive option?

Wait, you consider options that don't involve large quantities of explosives? What a strange concept.
(Although the ability to shoot at mc'd enemies would be nice given that you can do it to mc'd troopers)

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Pohl posted:

Then, when they turn, they don't have to activate so they pop up with a grenade out of nowhere and cause mass havoc.

If you make them throw their own grenade at their feet, they won't have it to throw at you :)
Same for cooldown abilities, but the only remotely relevant one is probably thin man spit, which is basically a non-issue at the point where you have mind control.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Gamespot has a article talking to Ananda Gupta about the design of the MECs and the pilots for them. Wow they look creepy. :stare:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Just saying, I actually really like how in-human they look. Makes their change a lot more dramatic.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
eeh, it doesn't sit right with me. "Hey, check it out, new tech from the guys in the lab, we're gonna give you genetic enhancements/brain superpowers" is a lot more nifty than "Sup we're gonna hack your arms and legs off so you can fight better. No you don't have a choice in the matter."

Nevermind the "narrative" aspect of this totally not being the sort of thing Shen or Vahlen would ever go for, the entire thing that this guy was going for is to make you build an emotional attachment to your imaginary GI Joe dudes, how does asking you to rip their limbs off for The Greater Good fit into that?

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 2, 2013

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Mr Dog posted:

eeh, it doesn't sit right with me. "Hey, check it out, new tech from the guys in the lab, we're gonna give you genetic enhancements/brain superpowers" is a lot more nifty than "Sup we're gonna hack your arms and legs off so you can fight better. No you don't have a choice in the matter."

I dunno, it definitely fits in with the "he who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster"-style tone they seem to be striving for. It should be a little unnerving, it'd be like the Federation saying "You know, the Borg do have some worthwhile tech we should look at", or the Doctor saying "The only way we can defeat the Cybermen is to become partially cybernetic ourselves". That sort of thing.

I do remember reading something with Gupta (I think?) where he said you can choose to go down either path solely (i.e., all genetic enhancements, or all cybernetic augmentation), or both paths simultaneously, though you may lose out on some things if you try to do both at the same time. So if nothing else, it gives us a ready-made reason to replay and try different strategies with the different upgrade options. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a lot easier to take away your soldier's robot arms when they retire than their genetically engineered laser eyes.

I still maintain that Vahlen should easily have the technology to properly store the soldier's human limbs when not in use and then reattach them when the soldier is retired/sent back home for a funeral.

• Locked thread