Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Leelee posted:

A question for people- who would you *want* to see returning to DAI as either a party member or cameo? Choose out of prior party members from the last two games, so no cheating and saying Sandal. Or do you already have your choice confirmed?

I'd like to see my Warden and my Hawke make a cameo, but I expect that to be drat near impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm not gonna say poo poo about Sten because I thought he was the best companion in Origins even if he didn't have a specialization until 14. I imagine the Qunari government is upwardly mobile and him canonically helping the Warden end the Fifth Blight is definitely a resume landmark. I just think it's weird that they had to make him not have horns.

Despite Bioware's tendency to do as little as possible and the pure amount of work they would have to do to accommodate for all the race/class/plot choices I really want to have the Warden be a companion (even temporarily) in Inquisition.

steakmancer fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 1, 2013

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

HenessyHero posted:

I'd like to see my Warden and my Hawke make a cameo, but I expect that to be drat near impossible.

Hawke I imagine would be pretty easy to have make a reappearance, but anyone expecting to see their Warden again, it's either never happening or there will be liberties taken.

Story wise: With Hawke, no matter what ending you gets he/she's alive and probably still on Thedas, the Warden though, you could be dead, alive but missing, queen of fereldan, wherever the eluvian Morrigan went into goes... among other possible fates I'm sure.

Then there's the technical hurdles, like elves looking completely different since DA:O, the customization options changing between games, there being at least different 5 voice options for your Warden...

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 1, 2013

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still, it's not like the proud warrior archetype who becomes the leader of his nation hasn't been done before. Except for Wrex, and Canderous (that one is Obsidian, but it still counts considering that Canderous was a Bioware creation). I mean, I thought that the Qunari were supposed to be sorted into their societal roles based on aptitude tests. How the hell does a Sten who was part of the Baresaad suddenly get promoted to one of the triumvirate that control the Qunari nation? Isn't he fixed to his position as Sten?

Don't think to hard about the internal consistency of the Qunari. You'll give yourself an aneurysm.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Penakoto posted:

Hawke I imagine would be pretty easy to have make a reappearance, but anyone expecting to see their Warden again, it's either never happening or there will be liberties taken.

Story wise: With Hawke, no matter what ending you gets he/she's alive and probably still on Thedas, the Warden though, you could be dead, alive but missing, queen of fereldan, wherever the eluvian Morrigan went into goes... among other possible fates I'm sure.

Then there's the technical hurdles, like elves looking completely different since DA:O, the customization options changing between games, there being at least different 5 voice options for your Warden...

If they bring Hawke back, I don't think the Keep save import tool will be able to handle anything but the default Hawke; maybe they'd allow PC users to directly port their Hawke over, but I'm not one to hold my breath.

Still, it would be kind of interesting in a secret cameo super-character kind of way, like with McDohl's return in Suikoden 2.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

steakmancer posted:

Yeah that's Bioware official canon, where Varris, Isabella and Alistair the king of loving Ferelden form the Justice League of Thedas and rescue Cailan Theirin's dad and ughghghghhgghghhg

No it isn't, it's a hypothetical outcome, as they've said. There's no "official" warden or Hawke anywhere. It's not not a thing. You're as bad as the people who argue whether the "canon" Shepard is male or female.

The only canon is the things that happen or are true in every playthrough (e.g. Petrice is killed by Qunari).

Penakoto posted:

Your Warden will have taken a vow of silence and be dressed in a thick, enveloping suit of armor. Also s/he is asleep the entire time.

Pick fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 1, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Boy I hope Laidlaw makes good on that threat to go explore other places unconnected to this current plotline by exploring Tevinter or something. I think their self-imposed burden of callbacks is going to kill us/them if it keeps up. Can you imagine being six or seven games in and importing a save that imports a save that imports a save that imports a save that imports a save?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Lotish posted:

Boy I hope Laidlaw makes good on that threat to go explore other places unconnected to this current plotline by exploring Tevinter or something. I think their self-imposed burden of callbacks is going to kill us/them if it keeps up. Can you imagine being six or seven games in and importing a save that imports a save that imports a save that imports a save that imports a save?

Imagine four player characters on the edge of a cliff.... Bioware works the same way.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pick posted:

No it isn't, it's a hypothetical outcome, as they've said. There's no "official" warden or Hawke anywhere. It's not not a thing. You're as bad as the people who argue whether the "canon" Shepard is male or female.

The only canon is the things that happen or are true in every playthrough (e.g. Petrice is killed by Qunari).

Like when I chopped a certain someones head off and that certain someone was pretty much alright after that?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
As far as warden cameos go, I'm not picky. During the inevitable big, sprawling battle sequence, I would be satisfied with a silhouette of figure leading a charge on the other side of the map, if for example you chose to remain with the greys and were a warrior/rogue, while the game does its best to wiggle its eyebrows at you. Just so I know my guy is still out there and tackling the big issues as always.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

It's bad enough Gaider wrote this incredibly rote comic-plot arc and thought it was clever enough to put the Dragon Age Bioware seal of authenticity to any degree, whether or not he actually considers this specific storyline that directs the most important player choices in Origins 'canon' is irrelevant.

That's some wild extrapolation if are trying to compare what I said to the binary gender of a character who was never developed in out of game media and the playable protagonist of a trilogy that is already over in relation to the actions and standings of nearly a dozen characters in an ongoing, multimedia series but clearly you're just trying to pick a fight over a loving video game series where phrases like 'Tranquil Solution' are uttered without a hint of irony and the comic relief character is the guy who blows up a church and starts a war.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Pick posted:

That's actually choice related, she can live

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still, it's not like the proud warrior archetype who becomes the leader of his nation hasn't been done before. Except for Wrex, and Canderous (that one is Obsidian, but it still counts considering that Canderous was a Bioware creation). I mean, I thought that the Qunari were supposed to be sorted into their societal roles based on aptitude tests. How the hell does a Sten who was part of the Baresaad suddenly get promoted to one of the triumvirate that control the Qunari nation? Isn't he fixed to his position as Sten?

Apparently Sten is a high rank for Qunari and this particular one just got back from ending the shortest Blight on record (a threat most Qunari barely understood before). Given that they suddenly need a new Arishok, it's not too big a stretch to say that they'd look to somebody who showed that amount of skill for a promotion if they thought he was up to the job. Qunari are stuck in one profession for life, not one rank. If they have an opening, they'll look for the best candidate to fill it.

If anything, their society would make their military (probably everything else as well, really) being a strict meritocracy more rational than any other military attempting the same.

Not to say that it wasn't lazy for the writers to make the one Qunari we know the closest thing there is to a leader of his people, but it's not that illogical. The comic is dumb for a lot of reasons, that that one detail isn't any worse than, say, Wrex killing his way to being the most important krogan leader alive.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
As logical as it sounds, personally, it comes off more as self-plagiarizing of known "cool BioWare moments" than finding a nice thematic way to use the character - despite how nice it would be to see Sten on the Qunari throne. Like I can see their writers thinking more of how people reacted to Wrex in ME2 than "So, where would old Sten be now".

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Crabtree posted:

As logical as it sounds, personally, it comes off more as self-plagiarizing of known "cool BioWare moments" than finding a nice thematic way to use the character - despite how nice it would be to see Sten on the Qunari throne. Like I can see their writers thinking more of how people reacted to Wrex in ME2 than "So, where would old Sten be now".

It's like renegade vigilante Garrus suddenly being a high-ranked military advisor in ME3.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

sassassin posted:

It's like renegade vigilante Garrus suddenly being a high-ranked military advisor in ME3.

It was more like "Oh God, we are getting our charred asses handed to us on a silver platter, we have no idea what we are doing. Hey, didn't that Garrus guy actually fight these things? On dozens of occasions? And SURVIVED? I wanted his rear end in here yesterday!"

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Doublehex posted:

It was more like "Oh God, we are getting our charred asses handed to us on a silver platter, we have no idea what we are doing. Hey, didn't that Garrus guy actually fight these things? On dozens of occasions? And SURVIVED? I wanted his rear end in here yesterday!"

Yeah, I'm assuming "taking down collectors and having previous galaxy saving experience also my dad knows the primarch" gets you boosted up the meritocracy pretty fast.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Blue Raider posted:

Has there been any mention of Kal-Sharok in the marketing? That's one of the few things I still find interesting about the setting, and it'd be (conceptually) cool to visit the place or get a bit more information on it.

Nothing about Kal-Sharok, but I'm dying to hear more about it as well. The only things I read about it were in the World of Thedas book. I really hope they delve into it though- c'mon another Dwarven thaig that isn't Orzammar?

I'd really prefer Nathaniel over Stroud as well. It's really lazy that they used the same voice actor for Riordan and Stroud. I guess all Orleasian Wardens sound the same.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well Sten fought all kinds of poo poo next to the Warden and came out on top, so why is it unrealistic for him to get that treatment but okay for all the bros in the ME games :colbert:

Anyway, even if Sten being an Arishok is canon now, he's still just one of 3 leaders of the Qunari.

quote:

The Triumvirate, or "Salasari" in the Qunlat language, is the governing body of all of Qunari society. They are three individuals that represent a perfect trinity, a whole that the three complete. Arishok the body, Arigena the mind, and Ariqun the soul, are the three pillars of Qunari society.

Three individuals that are the head of their respective paths, they divide and govern all Qunari under the "nation that must be". Since the Triumvirate represents the whole of the Qunari, they govern those who have also been assigned to their respective paths. The Arishok governs the soldiers, the Arigena governs the craftsmen, and the Ariqun governs the priesthood.

This difference of government to that of nobility backed monarchies (the norm in Thedas) would be fairly striking to a human, elf, and dwarf. However, as it can be said that the brain governs the body (in the case of monarchies) the Qunari believe that other parts of the body do so as well, such as the heart and the lungs governing their respective spheres. They are simply part of the whole.

Now maybe we can interact with Sten and his triumvirate to recruit their warmachine for the inevitable big Bioware battle at the end of the game

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 1, 2013

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ekusukariba posted:

That's actually choice related, she can live

Wow, I didn't know that! In all my playthroughs, I've never done that because she's a loving jerk :v:.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Lotish posted:

If they bring Hawke back, I don't think the Keep save import tool will be able to handle anything but the default Hawke; maybe they'd allow PC users to directly port their Hawke over, but I'm not one to hold my breath.

Why would you think the Keep couldn't handle anything besides default Hawke? Do we know more about it other than it exists and is cross platform yet? From what I understand it's gonna be an official version of Gibbed's save editor, maybe mixed with the comic thing they made for Mass Effect. I don't know how that would limit you to default Hawke.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Pick posted:

Wow, I didn't know that! In all my playthroughs, I've never done that because she's a loving jerk :v:.

You have to be an aggressive Hawke to save her, otherwise she's a goner.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Doublehex posted:

It was the most pointless way to reinsert Garrus back into Shepard crew imaginable. You can justify it by jumping through hoops that make the universe look tiny, but a) his character arc wasn't leading him to rejoin the military b) he knew no more about 'fighting' reapers than anyone in the citadel fleet or who had studied Sovereign's remains and c) he did gently caress all in that position.

It affected the story in literally no way. At least Tali's return to the Flotilla served a purpose.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sassassin posted:

It affected the story in literally no way. At least Tali's return to the Flotilla served a purpose.

Yeah but women thought he was cool and guys thought he was sexy, that's how it goes.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

sassassin posted:

It was the most pointless way to reinsert Garrus back into Shepard crew imaginable. You can justify it by jumping through hoops that make the universe look tiny, but a) his character arc wasn't leading him to rejoin the military b) he knew no more about 'fighting' reapers than anyone in the citadel fleet or who had studied Sovereign's remains and c) he did gently caress all in that position.

To Bioware's credit Garrus actually talks about this. He was given a task force just to shut him up and keep the dude quiet - when the actual Reaper invasion happened, welp.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Why would you think the Keep couldn't handle anything besides default Hawke? Do we know more about it other than it exists and is cross platform yet? From what I understand it's gonna be an official version of Gibbed's save editor, maybe mixed with the comic thing they made for Mass Effect. I don't know how that would limit you to default Hawke.

By default Hawke I mean I don't expect them to put a character creator in the thing, especially for what may only be a cameo.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I dunno, I liked the story of how Garrus ended up there.

"Daaaaaaaaad, we need an anti-reaper task fooooooooooorce!"
"Ugh, yeah, fine. Whatever. Here is a hundred space bucks, kid. Shut up."
~months pass, suddenly reapers~
"GARRUS GARRUS GARRUS GARRUS HELP HELP HELP"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

I still think "I guess this tranquil solution wasn't the holocaust you imagined" is the worst piece of writing I've ever seen from Bioware. Maybe I was just hallucinating and that line isn't real since I can't believe they could put something so loving stupid in their game.

I just have to chime in and confirm this exists. Also I have to confirm the context. Remember how that one Templar was able to Tranquil a load of mages just to rape them and nobody cared at all except Anders? This is what follows that:

* Sebastian: So your "Tranquil Solution" was hardly the holocaust you imagined.
* Anders: You've been seeking revenge for the death of one family for as long as I've known you.
* Anders: Are you honestly judging me for trying to save the lives of every mage in Thedas?
* Sebastian: But they were never threatened. It was a single man's lunacy.
* Sebastian: The Chantry would never follow through with such a thing.
* Anders: Yet.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
I thought it was Fenris who said it but I'm probably wrong.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I was going to say that I had no memory of that line happening, but that fits very well to it being Sebastian who said it, since I never played with that DLC.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

I thought it was Fenris who said it but I'm probably wrong.

I'm pretty sure Fenris says something similar.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

* Sebastian: So your "Tranquil Solution" was hardly the holocaust you imagined.

I had to Google that to be sure you weren't making that up. Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's also extra-terrible that they gloated about there being no Mage genocide that particular day because you'd just gotten finished killing a few dozen Templar running some kind of sexual abuse and intimidation ring. "Hah! See? No genocide! Just imprisonment and institutionalized abuse! Bet you feel pretty silly now, with your overreactions."

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
Calling it now:

Iron Bull is that Qunari mercenary you meet in DA2 act 1 who doesn't want to be a Tal-Vashoth anymore.

Aveline shows up as a knight somewhere in Orlais.

There will be a subplot involving Merill, Morrigan, and eluvians.

The source of the fade rifts is the blood sluice machine/blood lake beneath Kirkwall channeling all the suffering and death in what was a pretty obvious attempt by the Tevinters to tear a hole in the veil... for reasons. Final mission sees the Inquisitor travel to Kirkwall to shut that poo poo down and repair the veil.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Calling it now:

Iron Bull is that Qunari mercenary you meet in DA2 act 1 who doesn't want to be a Tal-Vashoth anymore.

Aveline shows up as a knight somewhere in Orlais.

There will be a subplot involving Merill, Morrigan, and eluvians.

The source of the fade rifts is the blood sluice machine/blood lake beneath Kirkwall channeling all the suffering and death in what was a pretty obvious attempt by the Tevinters to tear a hole in the veil... for reasons. Final mission sees the Inquisitor travel to Kirkwall to shut that poo poo down and repair the veil.

I think you are very wrong about Morrigan and the Eluvian. That Morrigan would return was one of the very first things we heard about DA:I, and considering the possible impact of DemonBaby, as well as the connection to the Fade that the Eluvian are said to have, I would be hugely surprised if they were not part of the main plot.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

the blood sluice machine/blood lake beneath Kirkwall

Is that an actual thing? I don't remember that.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Is that an actual thing? I don't remember that.
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Codex_entry:_The_Enigma_of_Kirkwall

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Oh, I know about killing lots of slaves to thin the veil, but I don't get the impression there's a literal lake of blood below Kirkwall, just that a lot of blood was shed there in the past.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Darkrenown posted:

Oh, I know about killing lots of slaves to thin the veil, but I don't get the impression there's a literal lake of blood below Kirkwall, just that a lot of blood was shed there in the past.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. They could just be going a little over the top with imagery but:

"Whole buildings were built upon lakes of blood. The sewers have grooves where blood would flow, all leading down. The scale is hard to fathom."

Makes it sound like they were literally building giant storage pools of blood, big enough to be considered lakes; as some sort of giant mage power bank in preparation for a ridiculous super spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The sewers of Kirkwall were literally built to channel the blood of thousands and, over time, hundreds of thosuands of slaves to fuel ungodly experiments deep beneath the City.

None of that poo poo has been operational for centuries but the Enigma of Kirkwall strongly implies that something from beyond the Veil is lurking down there still.

• Locked thread