Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Huxley posted:

Swung by Best Buy to handle the Nex line a bit. Based off holding the 3n, I'm probably going way cheapo with a used C3 so I can afford a couple of extra lenses. But drat did the 6 feel nice. I can't justify spending $300 extra on it when I could spend that money on a second lens, but with a $1k budget instead of my $400, I would be on it in a heartbeat.

E: What's a good second lens in this line beyond the kit? I know the best advice for mirrored DSLRs is a 50, but the 16 is the prime they had in the store, and the 55-210 is also pretty inexpensive (relatively). The 50 is pretty new, right?

Is there a second manufacturer for the E mount?

Ebay? Amazon?

You can get the 2 sigma NEX lens together for under 300.

Thats all the cheap NEX AF lens you are going to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

You can get the 2 sigma NEX lens together for under 300.

Thats all the cheap NEX AF lens you are going to get.

The Sony 16mm can also be had pretty cheap, but everyone's got a hate-on for it.

Personally I'd recommend an old MF 50mm prime on an adapter if you're on a tight budget, although the 50mm OSS is supposed to be quite nice.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The Sony 16mm can also be had pretty cheap, but everyone's got a hate-on for it.

Personally I'd recommend an old MF 50mm prime on an adapter if you're on a tight budget, although the 50mm OSS is supposed to be quite nice.

Something like

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839141-REG/vello_la_nex_cef_vello_lens_mount_adapter.html

Attached to

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Manual-Focus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-CA060104001970?r=FE

Is what you mean?

The sigma 30 looks sweet. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Close, but for that lens you'd want http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImaging-Canon-mount-Camera-Adapter/dp/B003XY6HYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380501504&sr=8-1&keywords=fd+to+nex

Old canon lenes are FD mount, not EF mount. Pentax and fuji make good old 50's, as do a bunch of other manufacturers.

The takumar 35/3.5 is also amazing.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I sold that POS 16mm toy lens for 152 and the ECU1 for 90, I wouldn't call them cheap. You can use an old school DP1 for about 150.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I have actually had some decent luck on Amazon for Emount lenses, used ones tend to go for $150-$200, which isn't completely terrible.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Lensrentals has an interesting post about these adapters we all love so well.
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

RustedChrome posted:

Lensrentals has an interesting post about these adapters we all love so well.
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters

TLDR: Wont matter to a lot of folks who are using lenses made for FF sensor area on a Crop-sensor camera type of body.

I imagine this adapter post plays more towards people who adapt Full Frame coverage on Full Frame sensors, or are going to go out and buy babbys first FF Nex.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The GX7 body is now $900 (previously $1000) at B&H, Adorama, and Amazon.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Musket posted:

TLDR: Wont matter to a lot of folks who are using lenses made for FF sensor area on a Crop-sensor camera type of body.

I imagine this adapter post plays more towards people who adapt Full Frame coverage on Full Frame sensors, or are going to go out and buy babbys first FF Nex.

You imagination has failed you. The examples are FF film lenses used on a NEX. Edge falloff is still pretty bad.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Is there a way to force the wide-angle mode on the xpros ovf? Somehow it got set into wide mode while i had the 35mm on last nigjt, and i really liked it, but i cant for the life of me figure out how to repeat it.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Is there a way to force the wide-angle mode on the xpros ovf? Somehow it got set into wide mode while i had the 35mm on last nigjt, and i really liked it, but i cant for the life of me figure out how to repeat it.

Hold the switch down on the front of the camera that switches the OVF to the EVF.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

krackmonkey posted:

The quick answer for Sony owners, and likely others is that if your camera came with a charger in the box, new, then it does not support USB charging. Sony has been very stingy about adding in an external charger with their USB charging models, even for something as premium as the RX1. My guess is that applies across the board with most manufacturers, since the margin on new bodies is so thin.

The K-01 actually does, I accidentally left it plugged into my laptop and it was charged when I got back.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Adorama has the Fuji 55-200 for 699 with 4% reward; ordered with Discover to get 5% credit back; ship it to my cousin's place to weasel out NYS tax. That's all the remaining camera budget I have this year.

TinyHooker2600
Mar 24, 2011
A vendor i've used a fair bit had a really decent special on Nikon 1's so i bit the bullet and ordered one with a 10-30 kit lens last weekend. 3 days later i get an email saying they are out of stock with no definite ETA on replacement with offers of refund/credit/wait around twiddling thumbs.

I guess i won't be joining the ranks of mirrorless users (at least as soon as i thought i would be) after all.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
YMMV but my local target has that Nikon 1 kit for $200 on clearance. They had a shelf full of em.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Startyde posted:

YMMV but my local target has that Nikon 1 kit for $200 on clearance. They had a shelf full of em.

I kinda want that waterproof one since I'm pretty sure it's the only waterproof digicam that shoots RAW... I don't $800 want it though :negative:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I kinda want that waterproof one since I'm pretty sure it's the only waterproof digicam that shoots RAW... I don't $800 want it though :negative:

It has consistently stunned me that the Olympus Tough TG1 and TG2 don't shoot RAW.

TinyHooker2600
Mar 24, 2011

Startyde posted:

Thanks for the heads-up, i'll definitely check a few local stores this week - it's around what i paid online as well.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Assuming you mean cheap, buy yourself a Canon P+S and a dive housing and run CHDK. It's not free but it's under like $200 of equipment. For some reason Canon's in-house dive cases are absurdly cheap in comparison to Ikelite's or whoever, but they don't make them for DSLRs, only up through their bridge camera series.

If you mean high end there's lots of dive cases out there if you're willing to shell out a grand or so. You'd probably be better off buying a case for a real camera instead.

e: I am pretty sure this is the warmest recommendation of Canon gear I've seen on here in a while.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 2, 2013

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK, so I've posted in several threads over the past few months trying to figure out what I want and what everything means, so thanks for answering my questions on basically all options in entry-level non-PAS cameras. I appreciate your knowledge and patience.

So I've narrowed down to two options, I think, and I want to make sure I have all my facts straight before I dive in. I'm comparing a NEX-3 (or C3, if I can find one in budget) to probably an Olympus EPL-3 (or E3, if I get lucky).

Hopefully it'll also be a decent block of info for anybody else in my position.

Nex line
  • DSLR-sized APS-C sensor, which is good
  • Limited lens range under $300, leaving basically a 16 nobody likes, two kit lenses that are kit lenses, and a mid-range zoom I'm not sure I've ever read a word about. Also a Sigma 30 that people enjoy and a 19 that also exists. Basically starting out you get the kit and one or both Sigmas and go straight into converters. Some new stuff has came out recently (a 50) but I think those might be VERY new, and are still at a premium/not reviewed.
  • Apparently converters look better on APS-C because of crop reasons I don't fully understand. Also hurt by the IS being in the Sony lenses vs the body. But has focus peaking, which people really enjoy and is supposed to help with legacy glass.
  • Dumb UI.

4/3 line
  • Smaller sensor than the Nex, which hurts IQ but may or may not matter a ton to normals like myself.
  • Much larger range of lenses under $300, with much better quality overall than basically anything you can put on a Sony.
  • Poking around it looks like your best (starter, budget) options are the Olympus 40-150, the Panasonic 14/2.5 (or Olympus 17/2.8), and a number of other good options in the 30-80 range. It looks like Sigma also makes their 30 and 19 for the 4/3.
  • Worse performance from converters for, again, reasons. On-body IS but no visual focus indicator on-screen like Nex.

I just want to double check I have the differences right in my head before I start spending money. Thanks!

Solo Bentley
Dec 4, 2006
talk done
Having owned both a Nex 5 (same sensor as Nex 3) and the EPL-3, the sensor of the Nex 3 will blow the EPL-3 out of the water as it's quite terrible above 800 iso. So the Nex is the camera I'd go with.

I think you really have to move up to the EPM2/EPL5/OMD sensor to get the best out of the M43 line. If you can afford to do that, I'd easily recommend the M43 over the Nex line. I went on to own both a Nex 5N and an OMD, and the lack of affordable primes really bothered me. The sigma 19 and 30s are fantastic for the money though, but that's about it.

Focus peaking with the Nex is great, but you really have to magnify to nail the focus and was often frustrating. I rather just be in a system that had a developed lens line, without having to compensate with MF lenses and for me that was M43. But if you're now starting off, then the Nex is great with a cheap sigma prime.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Huxley posted:

OK, so I've posted in several threads over the past few months trying to figure out what I want and what everything means, so thanks for answering my questions on basically all options in entry-level non-PAS cameras. I appreciate your knowledge and patience.

So I've narrowed down to two options, I think, and I want to make sure I have all my facts straight before I dive in. I'm comparing a NEX-3 (or C3, if I can find one in budget) to probably an Olympus EPL-3 (or E3, if I get lucky).

Would you be interested in a white C3 body in great condition in an orange leather half case for say $250 shipped?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Huxley posted:

Hopefully it'll also be a decent block of info for anybody else in my position.

Nex line
  • DSLR-sized APS-C sensor, which is good
  • Limited lens range under $300, leaving basically a 16 nobody likes, two kit lenses that are kit lenses, and a mid-range zoom I'm not sure I've ever read a word about. Also a Sigma 30 that people enjoy and a 19 that also exists. Basically starting out you get the kit and one or both Sigmas and go straight into converters. Some new stuff has came out recently (a 50) but I think those might be VERY new, and are still at a premium/not reviewed.
  • Apparently converters look better on APS-C because of crop reasons I don't fully understand. Also hurt by the IS being in the Sony lenses vs the body. But has focus peaking, which people really enjoy and is supposed to help with legacy glass.
  • Dumb UI.

4/3 line
  • Smaller sensor than the Nex, which hurts IQ but may or may not matter a ton to normals like myself.
  • Much larger range of lenses under $300, with much better quality overall than basically anything you can put on a Sony.
  • Poking around it looks like your best (starter, budget) options are the Olympus 40-150, the Panasonic 14/2.5 (or Olympus 17/2.8), and a number of other good options in the 30-80 range. It looks like Sigma also makes their 30 and 19 for the 4/3.
  • Worse performance from converters for, again, reasons. On-body IS but no visual focus indicator on-screen like Nex.

I just want to double check I have the differences right in my head before I start spending money. Thanks!

I typed a rather long post and Chrome loving lost it.

So I will be brief:

m43: faster AF, more family friendly, easier to get a "complete" set of AF lens
NEX: better IQ, require more tinkering, more MF friendly
For art students, IMO Canon DSLR system still offer the best price to performance ratio to learners

For very low budget starter super special (if you actually have a lot of time to learn photography): I recommend getting a used NEX3/c3/5/5n + 18-55mm on ebay. You should get one between 150-200. Get a cheap NEX to AIS adapter for $10, get some cheap MF lens, a 50/2.0, 50/1.4 or 55/1.4 lens. Thats it. That's all you need to start shooting.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I would never post this but if that was a post for a new shooter I would include the J1 or whatever the gently caress it is that Nikon has. Deep discounts that bring the system into PaS pricing.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

whatever7 posted:

For very low budget starter super special (if you actually have a lot of time to learn photography): I recommend getting a used NEX3/c3/5/5n + 18-55mm on ebay. You should get one between 150-200. Get a cheap NEX to AIS adapter for $10, get some cheap MF lens, a 50/2.0, 50/1.4 or 55/1.4 lens. Thats it. That's all you need to start shooting.

I would shoot for at least a 5n. There's a pretty significant drop in high-ISO noise between the 5 and 5n's generations. Also, the Sigma 30/2.8 is a must-have if you can find it for the old price of $100. It's not thrillingly fast but it's a nice cheap normal AF prime.

Amazon has NEX-5Rs for a pretty good price now if you want to buy new. Bear in mind that Sony is releasing a bunch of poo poo this month, so the old stuff is probably being phased out and the new stuff is around the corner, if that affects your decision.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the input, sounds like NEX is the direction for me, just whichever one I find in a comfortable range sounds about as good as another (not counting the 6/7).

rexelation posted:

Would you be interested in a white C3 body in great condition in an orange leather half case for say $250 shipped?

I'm probably going to find a kit on KEH/ebay/Amazon just for convenience.

whatever7 posted:

Get a cheap NEX to AIS adapter for $10, get some cheap MF lens, a 50/2.0, 50/1.4 or 55/1.4 lens. Thats it. That's all you need to start shooting.

I was planning on doing Canon FD, basically because I have a mental handle on that gear better (was researching Canons for a while). Everything about Nikon lenses confuses me, to be honest. The Canon lens wiki has like, two things to know. The Nikon wiki has a list of a million, and even the OP here for their modern DSLRs confused me over what would and wouldn't AF.

rio posted:

I would never post this but if that was a post for a new shooter I would include the J1 or whatever the gently caress it is that Nikon has. Deep discounts that bring the system into PaS pricing.

I've read some pretty poor impressions of those Nikons (places other than here), especially compared to the NEX. I'm being budget-conscious, but I've read you guys take that thing apart too much to go that way. I'm a new shooter to large sensors and interchangeable lenses, but I know enough to want something that's a bigger step up from my S90 that it looks like those Nikons are.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 3, 2013

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think any of the things that are complicated about Nikon lenses are complicated if you're adapting MF glass to NEX. Not that there's anything wrong with FD glass.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Huxley posted:

Thanks for all the input, sounds like NEX is the direction for me, just whichever one I find in a comfortable range sounds about as good as another (not counting the 6/7).

I'm probably going to find a kit on KEH/ebay/Amazon just for convenience.

I was planning on doing Canon FD, basically because I have a mental handle on that gear better (was researching Canons for a while). Everything about Nikon lenses confuses me, to be honest. The Canon lens wiki has like, two things to know. The Nikon wiki has a list of a million, and even the OP here for their modern DSLRs confused me over what would and wouldn't AF. Nikon lens are easy if you only focus on AI/AIS lens (they are the same to modern cameras)

I've read some pretty poor impressions of those Nikons (places other than here), especially compared to the NEX. I'm being budget-conscious, but I've read you guys take that thing apart too much to go that way. I'm a new shooter to large sensors and interchangeable lenses, but I know enough to want something that's a bigger step up from my S90 that it looks like those Nikons are.

For adapting cheap MF lens, the 3 best old mounts IMO are Nikon AIS, Canon FD and Konica AR. Going FD is not going cost you more money just to be warmed the mounting mechanism is more complicated and cumbersome.

Don't waste time with Nikon 1 system. Its worthless if you want to learn photography. I wouldn't even recommend it if its $120. V1 is only good for bird shooters (who already own a large Nikon lens collection) J1 is useless. Also the adapter is more than 300 bux. What a joke.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 3, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
There isnt any complicated thing about Nikkor glass compared to FD/Konica/M39/any other lens type other than their stupid extra letters and acronyms. They wont AF when not on Nikon bodies so that rules out any problems with AF. You can skip every G lens Nikon has ever made or will ever make because they lack aperture rings and paying extra for a G lens and the required adapter is a waste of money to some folks.

AF-D and older glass is going to be the only Nikkor glass you would ever want to use anyways. Older, Cheaper on the used market and pretty drat good. I only really go after AI-S and AI Nikkor glass to adapt and I leave the newer AF-D/AF-S/G alone.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AI or AIS is what I'd do for adapting. Generally, the screw drive AF-D lenses are reeeeally loose and not that nice for manual focusing.

edit: Nikon glass will adapter to a wider variety of cameras than FD, but that probably doesn't matter if you plan on sticking with Nex.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
He could get a FD to nex adapter and later on get a nikon to fd, so you could have both.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

powderific posted:

I don't think any of the things that are complicated about Nikon lenses are complicated if you're adapting MF glass to NEX. Not that there's anything wrong with FD glass.

Precisely. The only complex thing about putting Nikon glass on a NEX is if it's brand new G-series glass that doesn't have an aperture ring, in which case you need to shell out an extra $40 or something for the fancier adapter with the electro aperture control.

There's two things you need to worry about : is the register distance longer than the NEX register distance (almost every lens is except for weird poo poo like CCTV maybe), and whether there's protrusions on the back of the lens that could hit the sensor or something (a notorious problem with Canon 5Ds, never heard it's a problem with NEX but some non-retrofocus stuff might not mount).

I guess there's also the issue that the rabbit ears could scratch up your screen. Ask me how I know this :smith:. That's the one thing I really miss about Canon, their LCDs were made of gorilla glass or something.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

teraflame posted:

He could get a FD to nex adapter and later on get a nikon to fd, so you could have both.

It's kind of a bad idea. There's twice as much chance for something to be non-straight or out of register. I'm not going to say I don't do it to get to the 6x7 to Pentax K adapter I got cheap, but it's optically a bad idea.

Unless it's something truly weird just buy the right Fotodiox adapter and be done with it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all your help. Newegg had refurb Nex-3N full kits last night, so I jumped on that.

What is the Nikon equivalent of the FD? Like, if I want 30-year-old, manual focus prime lenses, what should I be searching KEH for? Which adapter is correct? Do all those acronyms just use the F mount a la this adapter?

http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImagin...f+mount+adapter

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 4, 2013

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Yeah its all f-mount. AI and AIS are the manual focus ones.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Huxley posted:

Thanks for all your help. Newegg had refurb Nex-3N full kits last night, so I jumped on that.

What is the Nikon equivalent of the FD? Like, if I want 30-year-old, manual focus prime lenses, what should I be searching KEH for? Which adapter is correct? Do all those acronyms just use the F mount a la this adapter?

http://www.amazon.com/RainbowImagin...f+mount+adapter

If you're adventurous, you can also buy non-AI or pre-AI lenses, and then file off a few bits to get them working. The glass itself tends not to be that remarkable, because it's so old. Even so, a friend of mine got an ancient Nikon non-AI 35mm f/1.4 for peanuts.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Not sure how many of you follow Sony Alpha Rumors so this post may be quite redundant, but it looks like there are going to be 2 NEX FF cameras announced in the next two weeks or so. One of them is going to be 24MP and sell for "less than competing low-end FF DSLRs" like the 6D, was estimating 1600-1700 for just the body, ~$2000 for it with the 24-70 kit. The higher end was going to be 36MP and "over $2000". Both are supposed to have an NEX-7 style grip, EVF in the middle (like the OMD) and roughly the size of the one on the RX-1. Higher end one is supposed to have some different kind of AF. Body will be ~20% bigger than an NEX-7.

Per an update earlier this week, neither is going to have IBIS :negative: They are supposed to be weather sealed, at least. I've also not seen anything mentioned about that sensor-plane focusing, which makes me think it's probably still in development, and may only be for A-mount.

Keeping with Sony tradition the lens selection is pretty uninspiring, with a rather yawn-inducing selection of initial offerings from Zeiss being put forward: 35mm f/2.8, 55mm f/1.8, and a 24-70 f/4 zoom. (Seriously, is this 1965 or something?) There's also the aforementioned 24-70 kit zoom from Sony, which hopefully won't suck.

So yeah, IDK how excited I'm going to be for whatever they do release. I'm pleasantly surprised by the pricing on the lower end model, but I don't know if I really want to deal with the hassle of manual focusing (because Sony adamantly refuses to release compelling lenses for their mirrorless lineup, because reasons) on a day-to-day basis. Perhaps Sigma will step up to the plate and release some dope lenses, although they've had a huge opportunity with the NEX's lovely lens selection and didn't do much to capitalize on it, so can't say I'm holding my breath. Of course, you can use the A-mount stuff with that adapter, but at that point it's probably getting pretty unwieldy.

I still very well may buy it; I've been thinking of getting back into doing part-time pro work next year, and I suspect that it'll mesh well with the A-mount DSLR's/SLT's (which I don't have, but could how see having the mirrorless for personal stuff/a secondary body and using the bigger one as a primary on paid gigs might work well). Size/handling (if it's approaching the size of a DSLR, who gives a poo poo if you can put tiny rangefinder lenses on it?) and image quality (whether it's a big enough jump to justify the extra size and crap native lens selection) will probably be the big deciding factors for me.

On the other hand there is Fuji, which although their lens prices make me wince ("The value for this quality of a lens [23mm f/1.4] at $900 is fair, maybe even good”), at least they exist and Fuji seems to actually be making cameras/lenses for photographers, instead of whatever the gently caress Sony thinks it's doing with the E-mount. The lack of optical stabilization on the primes doesn't make me too happy though, and I rather doubt we'd see anything FF (or otherwise offer a big leap in sensor performance) from Fuji anytime soon. Still, I could see myself being pretty happy with an XE-2, 18-55mm, and a 35mm 1.4, at least for personal stuff.

There's always the OMD; has a great native lens selection, IBIS, etc... but even with the improvements they've made, good high ISO performance is really important to me, and I don't think they're ever going to be leading the pack there.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I'm loving glad fuji's lenses don't have IS built into them because I can't even imagine how completely worthless that would make the already horrible battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sensor shift make no one lick of sense because it will make the body super thick like the K01. This is testament of sonyalpharumor will print any make-up poo poo.

Out of curious I checked out the site. Dear god Sony is going to put the fake prism on the FF NEX?