Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ReindeerF posted:

I've heard that, but I mean in what form is it common enough to influence Google's predictive search results? That's what I can't figure out.

Usually taking the form of "Obama's not really black, so he's tricking all of them into voting for him" or some other racist drivel. The more virulent variety uses it to "explain" how he got so far...its a nasty rabbit hole you do not want to investigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BrotherAdso posted:

I know that a lot can happen in 6-8 months, but is there indication that the shutdown and other problems may change the prospects of any lean-R/lean-D districts for the 2014 midterms?

The most recent generic ballot (generally the only good cost-effective way to poll congress) had Generic Democrat with a +9 lead. That's in the range where the Democrats could actually win back the House.

It is, of course, more than a tiny bit absurd they need to be winning the generic ballot by that much to even have a shot.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

I've heard that, but I mean in what form is it common enough to influence Google's predictive search results? That's what I can't figure out.

Lots of people are in love with the idea that "Obama's not really black, his mother is white!" But they are too stupid to remember how it goes, so they have to keep Googling it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ReindeerF posted:

Wingnuts have this real obsession with Obama being half-white - Limbaugh in particular loves to hammer at the "halfrican" - and I don't know why. Obviously it's racism of the mask-comes-off variety we've seen so much of since 2008, I just think it's weird that they focus on this particular aspect of Obama. Playing on disgust of miscegenation? The ability to say "I'm not racist - the President's white as much as he's black, so how can I be racist towards him"? Telling liberals "Your precious Black Messiah isn't even a real black, ha ha you've been tricked!"? It's just weird.

I remember back in the 1990s, Limbaugh and his droogs were similarly obsessed with Toni Morrison's description of Bill Clinton as "America's first black president".

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Perhaps it's because if you believe that Obama won the election because he's black, and so a beneficiary of affirmative action and reverse racism, then showing that he's not really black delegitimises his presidency. It means he was elected on false pretenses.

Of course 50/50 mixtures have been black ever since white people were invented, but that's not going to stop the sort of people who manage to convince themselves in matters in the first place.

Peel fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 2, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
For me it's a matter of semantic content. Google's predictive text is presumed to be based largely on what people actually type - so this means that among the top four phrases people are typing is one that starts with something similar to, "Barack Obama is not black" and I can't figure out what they're looking for as opposed to when obviously angry people type things like Barack Obama is a lair. Also, let's be fair, "is an alien" is pretty loving crazy too. IS AN ALIEN. We can all reason out the others, but what the gently caress is that one about?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
I have heard the argument that he's not "black" because he isn't descended from former slaves, that he hasn't experienced the "authentic" African American experience. Which is bullshit because it's not like racists care what a black man's background is, just that he's black.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

For me it's a matter of semantic content. Google's predictive text is presumed to be based largely on what people actually type - so this means that among the top four phrases people are typing is one that starts with something similar to, "Barack Obama is not black" and I can't figure out what they're looking for as opposed to when obviously angry people type things like Barack Obama is a lair. Also, let's be fair, "is an alien" is pretty loving crazy too. IS AN ALIEN. We can all reason out the others, but what the gently caress is that one about?

illegal alien

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ReindeerF posted:

Also, let's be fair, "is an alien" is pretty loving crazy too. IS AN ALIEN. We can all reason out the others, but what the gently caress is that one about?
As in an illegal one, because his birth certificate :words:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
"Excuse me, you need a cab?"

"Yeah."

"Were your ancestors slaves?"

"No."

"Okay, get in."

EDIT: Ahhhh alien, sorry, didn't think of that. Sounds like Google's brain jumping to conclusions. Thanks!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ReindeerF posted:

"Excuse me, you need a cab?"

"Yeah."

"Were your ancestors slaves?"

"No."

"Okay, get in."

EDIT: Ahhhh alien, sorry, didn't think of that. Sounds like Google's brain jumping to conclusions. Thanks!

Alternatively enough people researching Obama birth certificate conspiracies clicked on links to sites about Obama being an actual space alien that Google decided that was what they were really looking for. Hell I almost did that just now myself. "Obama is a what now? What the hell is this crazy person putting on the internet? Gotta click"

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

As in an illegal one, because his birth certificate :words:

The media only started moving on that story so when we heard Barack Obama was an alien we'd all think it meant undocumented :tinfoil:

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 2, 2013

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
So with a little over a year before the midterms, I want to get involved in the hopeless effort to turn NC-2 blue. I mean, gently caress it, I live in western Wake with the rest of the liberal yuppie college grad 30-somethings with 2.5 kids, but we got mushed in with Fort loving Bragg just to make sure we couldn't cause any problems. So marginalized. But I still want to do something.

Simple question - is there a volunteerism/Democratic organization thread-kinda thing I'm not aware of on the forums (apologies if this is off topic, but it seemed even more lame to throw it in with the PPACA or GOP rebuilding stuff)? I signed up for OFA last year, but it seemed like the party here was kinda disorganized, and I ended up not having the time I needed to do what I should have to get more involved. But I don't really know what that was anyway. Hoping some people on here have some info to share. D&D seems like the right place to ask?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
You'd be better off getting in touch with the Wake Democrats or Young Dems and focusing on Wake County (and more importantly) state issues. Renee Ellmers is a useless lump and there's little chance of getting rid of her unless Heritage/Club For Growth makes good on their primary challenge. And even then it just means someone even crazier will likely get into office. Kicking the Republicans out of state office is about the only way to fix NC-2.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

hhhat posted:

So with a little over a year before the midterms, I want to get involved in the hopeless effort to turn NC-2 blue. I mean, gently caress it, I live in western Wake with the rest of the liberal yuppie college grad 30-somethings with 2.5 kids, but we got mushed in with Fort loving Bragg just to make sure we couldn't cause any problems. So marginalized. But I still want to do something.

Simple question - is there a volunteerism/Democratic organization thread-kinda thing I'm not aware of on the forums (apologies if this is off topic, but it seemed even more lame to throw it in with the PPACA or GOP rebuilding stuff)? I signed up for OFA last year, but it seemed like the party here was kinda disorganized, and I ended up not having the time I needed to do what I should have to get more involved. But I don't really know what that was anyway. Hoping some people on here have some info to share. D&D seems like the right place to ask?

There used to be a campaign workers thread in Ask/Tell, not sure if there's a more current one.

This far in advance, there's no serious campaigning going on unless there's municipal elections happening in 2013 and then you'll see the incumbents/candidates for 2014 races helping out in 2013 races. Besides that, it is all fundraising. Your best bet is to just Google "[city or county you live in] Democrats" and ask how you can help out.

Besides US Senate, House, and Gubernatorial elections, some states will also have state wide elections for offices like Secretary of State, Attorney General, etc... as well as municipal elections.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 2, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Joe Lhota is New York (also, a Democrat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3IuS4EeCgk

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
So... was he stoned when he said he was gonna kill that kitten?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Montana Democrats land a good recruit for their Senate campaign: Lt. Gov. John Walsh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOWdv1LcCFo

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So all the chat about Google predictive search, and no one's gonna mention "Barack Obama is your bicycle" as the top one?

No?

Okay then.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Chokes McGee posted:

So all the chat about Google predictive search, and no one's gonna mention "Barack Obama is your bicycle" as the top one?

No?

Okay then.

Buy the book today!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

In the New York mayoral race so fast Bill deBlasio is destroying Joe Lohta in demographics across the city except for white people where it's merely a close race.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

KomradeX posted:

In the New York mayoral race so fast Bill deBlasio is destroying Joe Lohta in demographics across the city except for white people where it's merely a close race.

Destroying is an understatement

quote:

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) – A new poll shows Democrat Bill de Blasio leading Republican rival Joe Lhota with 71 percent of likely voters in the race for New York City mayor.

Lhota has 21 percent in the Quinnipiac University poll released Thursday. Independence Party candidate Adolfo Carrion has 2 percent.

“These numbers say Public Advocate Bill de Blasio’s kids can start arguing over who gets the best bedroom in Gracie Mansion,” Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, said in a statement. “The flurry of negative headlines about name changes, the Sandinista visit, the Cuban honeymoon don’t seem to have any effect.”

Five percent of voters remain undecided. But 11 percent of respondents who named a candidate say there’s still a “good chance” they’ll change their mind by Nov. 5.

Among white voters, the survey shows de Blasio ahead of Lhota 55 to 40 percent. Among black voters he leads 90 to 6 percent and 79 to 10 percent among Hispanics.

“It’s gratifying and it’s humbling,” de Blasio said. “I don’t take anything for granted. Even though this is a wonderful poll, we’ve over a month ahead and we’re going to work very hard.”

Lhota’s campaign issued a statement Thursday in response to the new poll numbers:

“Polls go up and polls go down. While Mr. de Blasio spends his time in hiding, ducking tough questions about his ill-conceived proposals, we will continue talking about Joe’s plans to create jobs, improve our schools and keep us safe. We are on TV with our first ad of the general election and we remain confident that once New Yorkers learn more, they will choose Joe Lhota, a proven leader with a real plan to move New York forward.”

The poll of 1,198 likely voters was conducted Sept. 25 to Oct. 1. The margin of error is plus or minus 2.8 percentage points.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Kittens are a political third rail (ironic since they were found beneath a literal one).

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Hey, if you know you're gonna get crushed without a Hail Mary, may as well go for the perpetually undercounted and underrepresented cat killer vote.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
"Polls go up and polls go down".

I wonder how long it'll be before Lhota hires Dean Chambers.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Alter Ego posted:

Never a miscommunication.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
Polls may go up and down, but I don't think they usually do so by 40 points. Maybe he can recoup some points if he makes an ad about cute puppies like that guy from Maryland.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alter Ego posted:

He would be better off hiring that Iraqi propaganda minister at this point

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

He would be better off hiring that Iraqi propaganda minister at this point

"Do not believe Bill de Blasio. He says he has moved into the mayor's office. It is a lie, don't believe him."

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

What in the world is this? Did some new meme take off when I wasn't looking? :raise:

Anyway enough about that derail, it's less exciting when there's an actual reason for it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

In case there was any doubt, Wendy Davis declared her campaign for governor tonight.

http://www.texastribune.org/2013/10/03/wendy-davis-finally-jumps-governors-race/

There should be video of her announcement up soon.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

evilweasel posted:

The most recent generic ballot (generally the only good cost-effective way to poll congress) had Generic Democrat with a +9 lead. That's in the range where the Democrats could actually win back the House.

It is, of course, more than a tiny bit absurd they need to be winning the generic ballot by that much to even have a shot.

Also, everyone loves Generic Candidates until they become real candidates.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Mooseontheloose posted:

That goes for both parties, though. The generic congressional ballot doesn't matter until at least until after the shutdown ends anyway because whichever side comes out ahead is going to get a huge bandwagon/base enthusiasm effect.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

"Do not believe Bill de Blasio. He says he has moved into the mayor's office. It is a lie, don't believe him."

"We have counted the ballots and de Blasio is losing on all fronts. Lhota shall be mayor, god willing." *shows massive de Blasio rally in the background* :mensch:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

That goes for both parties, though. The generic congressional ballot doesn't matter until at least until after the shutdown ends anyway because whichever side comes out ahead is going to get a huge bandwagon/base enthusiasm effect.

Sure. I am just saying is that generic ballots more heat checks more so than any actual indication if Ds can regain the house.

That being said, they literally can't do worse than where they are so they are bound to pick up a bunch of seats next year.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, most people hate Congress, think it needs a good cleansing, and that someone should throw all the bums out and do something about all that pork -- but they like their local Congressperson and think they do a good job and bring a lot of money to the district.

Congress can have an 8% approval rating and be ranked worse than HitlerAIDS, and still see 95%+ of its members re-elected every cycle.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TheGreyGhost posted:

Rick Scott is looking very vulnerable, and the proper candidate would certainly give him trouble. It remains to be seen if it'll be Crist running against him, but I have to imagine Crist would have some very good odds.

Don't you dare! :argh:

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Don't you dare! :argh:

Dude, I have to watch Kasich run against the shambles of the Ohio democratic party. You have a chance. I have to hope to God that Fitzgerald runs an Obama-level GOTV campaign for himself.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Alter Ego posted:

You can't explain that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

Chokes McGee posted:

What in the world is this? Did some new meme take off when I wasn't looking? :raise:
Yes, "Barack Obama is your new bicycle" popped up in 2008. Read the perpetrator's explanation. Copycats included "Hillary Clinton is your new bicycle" and "John McCain is your new jalopy".

• Locked thread