Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
After I bought the sextillion fingers upgrade, Cookie Monster stopped showing bonus income. All buildings and upgrades are yellow and all it displays for income and cost per income is NaN (not a number?). Anyone else have else have this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

So dungeons aren't in this update?

...so, I'm guessing I got in the dungeon by exporting my save from the beta? Because I can totally get into the dungeon on my game.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
After doing all the pre-patch stuff without help and getting bored, I've decided to break down and join the filthy soulless cheaters and get this cookie monster thing. Does anyone know exactly what is broken about it? Just that high end 240 cursor thing, or other stuff?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Cookie Monster mostly just does helpful math and displays the results inline. It can actually be misleading about what you should buy next if you don't know what you're doing.

The only vaguely cheaty thing it does is show the hidden timer before the next golden cookie spawn.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Sindai posted:

Cookie Monster mostly just does helpful math and displays the results inline. It can actually be misleading about what you should buy next if you don't know what you're doing.

The only vaguely cheaty thing it does is show the hidden timer before the next golden cookie spawn.

I was being kinda sarcastic about the cheating thing, and more interested in just how functional is it right now.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
moist cookies

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
OH GOD. Here I was clicking sure some nice goon has answered my question and.....OH GOD.

Worm

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Oblivion4568238 posted:

EDIT: Also Ortiel linked a thing on the blog, figured it was decent enough to bring up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG0_olXLkKg

Whatever Razer, I've had a 10ms toggled autoclick bound to my keyboard's useless play/pause button for like eight months now through the MS Mouse/Keyboard panel. :smugdog:

Thea Dolorosa
May 13, 2007
Let's Not.
Long post but I did the math for fun so whatever.

OK, so according to the wiki cookie chains EDIT: are claimed to be unlimited but let's cap them at say 666,666,666,666,666,666. The way it worked in the past was that the first five cookies in the chain were guaranteed with each successive cookie having a 90% chance to show up. Given this, our Expected Cookie Value of a golden cookie that starts a cookie chain is, assuming we have enough banked:

66,666 + 0.9*666,666 + (0.9)^2*6,666,666 + ... + (0.9)^13*666,666,666,666,666,666

which is roughly 190,000,000,000,000,000. If you make roughly 270 billion cookies per second like I do currently, this is roughly 190 hours of production.

Now, the wiki gives

For the Golden Cookie:

49.00417% chance of a Frenzy, the gain of 924 seconds of production
49.00417% chance of a Lucky!, the gain of 20 minutes of production
1.6625% chance of a Clicking Frenzy
0.32916% chance of a Cookie Chain

Let's simplify that to a 0.33% chance of a Cookie Chain, and look at the ECV we would get per golden cookie click restricted to the Cookie Chains:

0.33%*190 hours = ~ 0.63 hours of production

Since my thesis is that Red Cookies are now superior, let's assume that everything else gives us a Frenzied Lucky. Calculating it exactly is a bit impossible since I don't know if the "20% chance of same outcome" means in terms of conditional probability. I also don't know if the distribution of when the golden cookie pops up in its timing window is constant or normal or what.

So we have: 99.67%*140 minutes = 139.538 minutes < 2.33 hours

Hence the ECV of a Golden Cookie is no more than 2.96 hours, and in reality less than half as much.

Now, the wiki gives, for the Red Cookie,

28.65% chance of Ruin!, the loss of 10 minutes of production
28.65% chance of Clot, the loss of 792 seconds of production
28.65% chance of Lucky!, the gain of 20 minutes of production
5.9% chance of Cookie Chain
5.9% chance of Elder Frenzy, the gain of 133 minutes of production
2.25% chance of Clicking Frenzy

Looking at just Cookie Chains:

5.9%*190 hours = 11.21 hours

It is clear that one Lucky! happening for each Ruin and Clot is enough to be a net positive, and the Clicking Frenzy and Elder Frenzy add to that positive, but even ignoring this and counting only the cookies from Cookie Chains, the Red Cookie gets more than four times (and in reality likely nine to ten times) the cookie that Golden Cookies get.

I assumed a certain CPS at the beginning, but this strategy scales for smaller CPSes, and if chains are truly unlimited now, for larger CPSes as well. But there are downsides of this strategy. You have to bank a lot of cookies. If the cutoff for the cookie chain breaking is 25% of your bank, your bank needs to be 30% of your target cookie chain maximum to be able to gain it (you need to have 4 times the next lowest cookie chain number, or 40% of your target, but you gain 10% of your target from that cookie). For my example situation I have to bank 200 quadrillion cookies, or 200 hours of production.

Another downside is that the reward structure is far different. Before the cookie chain extension, on Golden Cookies you would have a Frenzied Lucky once every four to six cookies that you clicked, good for two and a third hours of production at once. Every once in a while (one in a hundred cookies?) you'd get a Frenzied Click Frenzy, which if you click at 10 cps got you about fourteen hours of production. Now, on Red Cookies, once every about sixteen cookies you have an Elder Frenzy giving roughly two hours of production, and once every about sixteen cookies you get a Cookie Chain. Each cookie chain gets you on average 190 quadrillion, but the bulk of that number comes from the one-in-four cookie chains that get you 740 quadrillion cookies.

But isn't it better this way? Before, reaching the endgame where it takes more than your entire Frenzied Lucky cookie bank to buy the next round of buildings didn't take very long. Then the game just becomes a countdown of 11 Frenzied Lucky clicks for the next round. Then 12 for the round after that. Then 14 then 16, et cetera. You might as well be a rock or a slug, collecting cookies in pathetic dribs and drabs.

Or you could click the Red Cookie. Most of the time gaining or losing dribs and drabs. But in your heart you will know that one Red Cookie out of seventy will give you a bounty that nears a quintillion cookies. An amount that will make all the hours spent keeping one eye on your Cookie Clicker window worth it all at once in a rush of exhilarating joy.

Click the Red Cookie. If you are so blessed, click it eighteen times in one chain. Forever and ever. Amen.

Thea Dolorosa fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 2, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was being kinda sarcastic about the cheating thing, and more interested in just how functional is it right now.

I haven't noticed any problems at all using Cookie Monster. Aside from the apparent problems from the new cursor upgrade, it's fine.

redstormpopcorn posted:

Whatever Razer, I've had a 10ms toggled autoclick bound to my keyboard's useless play/pause button for like eight months now through the MS Mouse/Keyboard panel. :smugdog:

If you're going to autoclick the cookie, you may as well just get javascript to do it for you.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 2, 2013

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Thea Dolorosa posted:

Now, the wiki gives, for the Red Cookie,

28.65% chance of Ruin!, the loss of 10 minutes of production
28.65% chance of Clot, the loss of 792 seconds of production
28.65% chance of Lucky!, the gain of 20 minutes of production
5.9% chance of Cookie Chain
5.9% chance of Elder Frenzy, the gain of 133 minutes of production
2.25% chance of Clicking Frenzy

Looking at just Cookie Chains:

5.9%*190 hours = 11.21 hours

It is clear that one Lucky! happening for each Ruin and Clot is enough to be a net positive, and the Clicking Frenzy and Elder Frenzy add to that positive, but even ignoring this and counting only the cookies from Cookie Chains, the Red Cookie gets more than four times (and in reality likely nine to ten times) the cookie that Golden Cookies get.

I don't get the bolded bit. If a Ruin! and a Clot are 23 minutes of production, how is a Lucky!, which is 20 minutes of production, a positive? That's still -3 minutes of production.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Noticed the 'new version!' popup at the bottom, didn't refresh. Glad I didn't after reading up here. :smugdog:

(Maybe after I get 100 condensers, Kitten Overseers and reset)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PureRok posted:

I don't get the bolded bit. If a Ruin! and a Clot are 23 minutes of production, how is a Lucky!, which is 20 minutes of production, a positive? That's still -3 minutes of production.

I think he mistyped the effect of clot. With "Get Lucky", it halves your CpS for 132 seconds, which is a loss of 66 seconds, not 792.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Thea Dolorosa posted:

Long post but I did the math for fun so whatever.

OK, so according to the wiki cookie chains EDIT: are claimed to be unlimited but let's cap them at say 666,666,666,666,666,666. The way it worked in the past was that the first five cookies in the chain were guaranteed with each successive cookie having a 90% chance to show up. Given this, our Expected Cookie Value of a golden cookie that starts a cookie chain is, assuming we have enough banked:

66,666 + 0.9*666,666 + (0.9)^2*6,666,666 + ... + (0.9)^13*666,666,666,666,666,666

From the wiki:
-Every cookie past the 5th has a 13% chance to not appear.

-Clicking a cookie past the 5th one that awards more than one quarter of the amount you had when you clicked it will end the chain. You still get the payout for that cookie, but no more will appear for that chain. (As of v1.033 this feature actually works.)

You seem to be missing these in your calculations. using 0.87 instead of 0.9 in your calculations might improve the accuracy of your figures a little, and your numbers also make the assumption of a banked cooke figure of more than 4x66.666 quadrillion. I feel that you really need to incorporate both of these things to definiteively state when red cookies overtake golden ones as better value.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 2, 2013

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I think you guys need to get back to clicking the loving cookie already.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I can't, I'm too busy clicking the button telling me there's new posts in this thread.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
FWIW, cookie clicker has been showing up in the PYF weird fanart thread recently and some of it is excellent. Japan (and by extension pixiv) has discovered clicking the cookie.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

NickRoweFillea posted:

Those aren't red velvet homie

Yes they are, despite what the tumblrite claims.

Blood turns black when it's cooked :pseudo:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Thea Dolorosa posted:

Just made 66 quadrillion cookies with the cookie chain, which is about 100 hours' worth of production. That was interesting. It might make red cookies better than golden ones during the endgame.

You say it like there's actually an endgame. This is Cookie Clicker. It never ends.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

One could also save before clicking a red cookie and then reload if it is a bad result. Not that any upstanding cookie-clickers in this thread would ever do that, of course.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

I can't, I'm too busy clicking the button telling me there's new posts in this thread.

I think we have our next game.

Someone make the game quick.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Pretty sure a cookie chain that ends at 66,666 is the saddest thing in the cookieverse. :smith:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Blasmeister posted:

From the wiki:
-Every cookie past the 5th has a 13% chance to not appear.

-Clicking a cookie past the 5th one that awards more than one quarter of the amount you had when you clicked it will end the chain. You still get the payout for that cookie, but no more will appear for that chain. (As of v1.033 this feature actually works.)

Oh, more than one quarter will end it! I thought it ended it when you're awarded more than what you currently have. I was wondering why I couldn't manage to reach any more than the piddling 666 trillion stage. Well, I've been saving up, so I do actually have enough now; hopefully I can get a 6.66 quadrillion cookie soon. :unsmigghh:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

RyokoTK posted:

Tried to update to the new version, and paid the price for my insolence. The cookie won't load, math won't happen.

(warning: big)

Tried ctrl-F5, tried clearing the cache, I'm not really sure what else to do. :cry:

Update: Disabling the Chrome extension SmoothScroll fixed this. Unfortunately, I miss having it, but there are cookies to click!!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Pretty sure a cookie chain that ends at 66,666 is the saddest thing in the cookieverse. :smith:

6,666 :smith::respek::smith:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Gilg posted:

One could also save before clicking a red cookie and then reload if it is a bad result. Not that any upstanding cookie-clickers in this thread would ever do that, of course.

Orteil was smart and knew you would try this, so the game autosaves as part of the clicking on red/golden cookie process.

Kinetic Tools
May 6, 2009
However, you can save and reload the page to get rid of clots.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Eldercain posted:

Orteil was smart and knew you would try this, so the game autosaves as part of the clicking on red/golden cookie process.

If you were really determined to get around a minor penalty, you could export your save, copy the string, click the cookie, and import old save if needed.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Assuming it didn't change this update, the first 5 cookies (6 66 666 6,666 and 66,666) are guaranteed to show up. Sorry to tell ya, but this was your own fault. You missed a cookie.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(
I really like how the screen 'feels' now that there is a a soothing orange pool instead of a harsh red.

It's actually kinda pleasing to the eye.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Klayboxx posted:

I really like how the screen 'feels' now that there is a a soothing orange pool instead of a harsh red.

It's actually kinda pleasing to the eye.

What if...

What if he tried cookies in orange juice and it's actually really good?

What if he's trying to show us the way with a game about clicking cookies to true cookie enlightenment?

The cookie gospel :pray:

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

Eldercain posted:

What if...

What if he's trying to show us the way with a game about clicking cookies to true cookie enlightenment?

Orteil is loving nuts

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Eldercain posted:

What if...

Based on the image, the orange juice is semi-transparent. So is it actually orange Kool-aid? OJ is opaque, and in some instances pulpy. This is an important distinctionthis is not important

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
The last time I donated blood I was given cookies and OJ. Not terrible not great.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The only cookie OJ goes well with is Oatmeal Raisin and Oatmeal Raisin is a loving crime against nature so there.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Maybe he just wants everyone to give blood? Maybe that's what the grandmas eat.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
You're not supposed to eat the cookies, you're supposed to sell them, you're all terrible cookie dealers. The orange juice though, that's your reward.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Cool that the "game" has less load now, it would screw up my pc if i let it run long.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I hate the change to cookie chains. While they may be mathematically the best way to gain cookies they just don't have that Skinner box constant positive feedback like lucky frenzies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
I suspect the chains will get patched at some point/soon because as it is they create exponential cookie growth and make chips/buildings/cps/everything irrelevant except Lucky day and Serendipity.

• Locked thread