Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
I always leaned toward the morbid side. Looked at the maps, looked at the blast radiuses and consulted with my pop "Hey Dad, do you think the Goodyear facilities in Akron would get a nuke? Are we far enough from Cleveland, if the winds are right?"

Honestly always sort of figured "we" would win, if it jumped off. Even if we ended up short a few cities, I didn't really think I was going to get annihilated in nuclear fire, just that I'd have to have my boyscout poo poo together for a little mad-max before things got settled down again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I was always more interested with what the hell was going on with the East Germans and how the gently caress did the Nazis move from being the bad guys to this bizarre Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde thing where half of them ended up being awesome great bulwarks of democracy and the other half ended up being evil commies.

Plus I was really into aerospace as a kid and thought it puzzling to say the least how the same people who were hucking V2s at London were also the heroes who put the US on the moon.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

Plus I was really into aerospace as a kid and thought it puzzling to say the least how the same people who were hucking V2s at London were also the heroes who put the US on the moon.

Not news to you, but still...
http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ube.9LLPXyShnPY

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Living in Juneau, Alaska in the 1980s meant that every Friday at 1pm, the city would kick off the only air raid siren in town. Both for testing purposes and as a sort of time chime. It was loud and scary to wee little me!

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Mandatory follow-up video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDEsGZLbio

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SyHopeful posted:

Living in Juneau, Alaska in the 1980s meant that every Friday at 1pm, the city would kick off the only air raid siren in town. Both for testing purposes and as a sort of time chime. It was loud and scary to wee little me!

The air raid siren in my hometown was on a tower directly outside my kindergarten. It never went off while school was in session, but I do remember hearing it being tested when I was a wee barin and I felt the same way.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What a pussy. Oklahoma City tests the tornado sirens every Wednesday at noon, and they actually go off for real several times per year. As a kid I was on a USAFE base that actually stored nukes and somehow didn't witness any of the rampant paranoia...I guess I'm just that unobservant.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

What a pussy. Oklahoma City tests the tornado sirens every Wednesday at noon, and they actually go off for real several times per year. As a kid I was on a USAFE base that actually stored nukes and somehow didn't witness any of the rampant paranoia...I guess I'm just that unobservant.

Nah, you were just too busy staring at these:

(Think I got that tail flash right)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Watching BT F-15's scramble at full burner was the highpoint of my childhood time in Germany.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Godholio posted:

We also had a flood warning siren for the reservoir NE of this location, but I never heard it go off. I'm not even sure if they test it, but it looks like it's been replaced since I last lived there.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Have some '80s/early '90s AF pictures (click for huge with all of them):

Cold_War_USAFE.jpg

Safety rules were a little...different.

Because when I think what will scare the poo poo out of a Kiev, I think air to air fighters.

BUFF simulating laying mines in Jinhae Bay during a Team Spirit

See comment about safety rules

:lol: compressor stall

White t-shirt is a nice touch

This is an official picture that was taken by a DOD photographer. It is also one of the greatest pictures I have ever seen. These are two dudes bad enough to rescue the president.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Nah, you were just too busy staring at these:

(Think I got that tail flash right)

You did indeed. :) I hate the "new" paint scheme.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

I can't help it:

iyaayas01 posted:

This is an official picture that was taken by a DOD photographer. It is also one of the greatest pictures I have ever seen. These are two dudes bad enough to rescue the president.

I need to loving wear a headband next time I'm playing hunter force for a SERE course. I NEED TO.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

iyaayas01 posted:

Cold_War_USAFE.jpg

Safety rules were a little...different.

Because when I think what will scare the poo poo out of a Kiev, I think air to air fighters.

BUFF simulating laying mines in Jinhae Bay during a Team Spirit

:lol: compressor stall

White t-shirt is a nice touch

Unf. This is the USAF of my childhood.

You have no goddamned idea how huge a hardon I had for Gulf War era and earlier F16s as a kid. There was a point in my life where I couldn't think of anything more beautiful than one of those. Well, at least nothing being actively flown.* It was (at least in my mind) everything a jet fighter should be: sleek, maneuverable, relatively small, and dedicated to shooting at other flying poo poo. My bedroom? Man, gently caress the Blue Angels, Thunderbirds posters were where it was at.

*I was completely and remain unapologetically :swoon: over the P-47D; the P-51 could sit and spin for all I cared.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

What's the plane at the veeeeeery back there? I was kind of random guessing an F-5 but the canopy line is all wrong. Is it a loving F-105?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cyrano4747 posted:

I was completely and remain unapologetically :swoon: over the P-47D; the P-51 could sit and spin for all I cared.

For what it's worth, a relative of my girlfriend flew razorback P-47Ds and P-51Ds in combat in the PTO, and agrees with you.

His ultimate preference was the P-47N, but he didn't fly that until postwar.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Alaan posted:

What's the plane at the veeeeeery back there? I was kind of random guessing an F-5 but the canopy line is all wrong. Is it a loving F-105?
Believe that's an F-20 Tigershark.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Found a ginormo version here and I'd buy that. The dark spot in the small one made it look like the canopy had a much flatter front face.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
/\ If you click through to the imgur page and then click on the picture you'll get the huge one. I suppose I could timg them but effort /\

Alaan posted:

It's a F-5E from the 527th AS at RAF Alconbury (they eventually moved to Bentwaters and got F-16s)...back in the Cold War the USAF had enough Aggressor squadrons that not only did we have a bunch at Nellis but we had one each in USAFE and PACAF.

:sigh:

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 1, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
What do the WR (Warner Robins?) and HR codes stand for?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Koesj posted:

What do the WR (Warner Robins?) and HR codes stand for?

Tail flashes...WR was RAF Bentwaters back in the day (now worn by the E-8s at Robins) while HR was Hahn AB.

For the rest...LN is RAF Lakenheath, BT was Bitburg AB, and SP is Spangdahlem AB.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

WR was actually Woodbridge. It belonged to one of the squadrons that operated primarily there, before the code was blanketed over the entire wing, which was actually headquartered at Bentwaters.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Thanks! Bitburg, Lakenheath and Spang I was able to guess correctly but the remaining two had me stumped.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

iyaayas01 posted:

I watched the poo poo out of this show.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The one with the F15s and the Kiev, what country is the F4 from, Iran?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Throatwarbler posted:

The one with the F15s and the Kiev, what country is the F4 from, Iran?

They're all from Kadena AB on Okinawa. It looks like it was taken when the wing was transitioning to F-15's in the 70's. The ZZ tail flash on the F-4 isn't as noticeable but it's there.

Jesus I'm pretty sure I worked on the 8475 when I was there.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Just looking at that B1 photo again, it's not....practicing that bomb-lobbing maneuver, is it? Tearing rear end at maximum low altitude, breaking sharply up and lobbing the bomb out with centrifugal force on the way round and then screaming out of range?

You know what, if it isn't, don't tell me, because I want to keep at least this dream alive.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
CNN is reporting that Tom Clancy has died.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Entertainment Weekly reporting dads across the nation donning black jeans in mourning

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
oh god just look at it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Ryan_%28Tom_Clancy_character%29

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Oh god it's the headline on a national newspaper's site right now :gonk:

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Koesj posted:

Oh god it's the headline on a national newspaper's site right now :gonk:

I feel vindicated in my student house having a Volkskrant subscription.

The only "Tom Clancy" book I've actually read is Line of Control, as a kid because it was lying around for some reason.
Are there any actually worth reading?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It not until this moment, that I realize, I've read most of his books... and that I'm sorry Tom Clancy is gone...
God Speed, You! Rising Red Storm

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It not until this moment, that I realize, I've read most of his books... and that I'm sorry Tom Clancy is gone...
God Speed, You! Rising Red Storm

Let's also not forget the influence he had on video games.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

AlexanderCA posted:

I feel vindicated in my student house having a Volkskrant subscription.

The only "Tom Clancy" book I've actually read is Line of Control, as a kid because it was lying around for some reason.
Are there any actually worth reading?

I remember enjoying Red Storm Rising quite a bit. It's not literature, but it's loaded with spectacular set-pieces. Just try to block out the incredibly creepy sub-plot involving a pregnant Icelandic civilian who gets rescued by the good guys after being raped by Russian soldiers.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Hunt for Red October is at the very least a cult classic and IMO a decent Cold War novel.

Red Storm Rising is sometimes good, oftentimes meh, and kinda falls short of some of the worthier efforts in the 'genre'.

Cardinal was surprisingly fun when I read it at 26 instead of 16 like the others :wth:

The rest kinda tapered off, quality-wise.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koesj posted:

Hunt for Red October is at the very least a cult classic and IMO a decent Cold War novel.

Red Storm Rising is sometimes good, oftentimes meh, and kinda falls short of some of the worthier efforts in the 'genre'.

Cardinal was surprisingly fun when I read it at 26 instead of 16 like the others :wth:

Yeah, in a sense it's not so much WHAT he wrote, but the movies and video games...and hell genre that came from it.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Koesj posted:

Cardinal of the Kremlin is probably one of my favorite books ever. Without Remorse was also excellent.

I've read Red Storm Rising far too many times and even if it's not totally "accurate" (e.g. F-117s have no air to air weapons) that's okay, it's still a lot of fun. I liked the Iceland plot; even with the rape part, well, rape happens in war and it's not like it's being glorified.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 2, 2013

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

gfanikf posted:

Yeah, in a sense it's not so much WHAT he wrote, but the movies and video games...and hell genre that came from it.

Wish I said it myself. Bad man and OK books (before the CCCP imploded, along with his sanity).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Please tell me the newspaper articles included the manufacturer and model number of each piece of lifesaving equipment employed to attempt rescue, along with esoteric facts on their origin and any slangy names for them used by their operators