Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm thinking I should have just gone with Verizon, but from what i'm reading around the internet, it honestly doesn't matter at the end of the day. Very few places in the U.S. have the coverage that these carriers claim to give you. The infrastructure from what i've seen is still very underdeveloped and can't keep up with the pace at which new people are getting smartphones.

Maybe in a couple years, but for now things like 4G are still a pipe dream no matter where you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
It really depends on where you live. If you live in a decently sized metro area, Sprint is usually just fine. I personally get LTE right outside my house, 20 down/10 up and I don't even live in a big city anymore.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I get poo poo signal everywhere but my house pretty much and that's because of my wifi. It's a real pain going anywhere where there's no wifi.

Jawtramp
Nov 27, 2010

by XyloJW

nate fisher posted:

I just got an 5S. I want to activate it now, and move it later tonight (and move 2 other phones). Can I do all of this online or do I have to call Sprint?

As of a few weeks ago the front line reps lost the ability to activate. They'll tell you to use sprint.com or go to a Sprint store. If you are calling in to do an activation and are having issues make sure you ask to be escalated ASAP, as supervisors can still do them, but if you have a past due you'll be told to make sure you are current or else the system won't let you activate. Same thing goes for swaps and flip-flops as well.

Also as of 09/26/2013 the Asurion repair fee for Sprint repair at a center is going up to $50 from $35.

Jawtramp fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 28, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sprint Megathread: It's a real pain going anywhere where there's no wifi

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why does anything but the most basic ASCII characters show up as an underscore? Is this a Sprint thing, Google voice thing, or Windows Phone 7 thing?
Edit: I was able to receive a message in the Cyrillic alphabet, so it's just outgoing that's a problem?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Jawtramp posted:

Also as of 09/26/2013 the Asurion repair fee for Sprint repair at a center is going up to $50 from $35.
The price for a repair without TEP went from $35 to $50 a long time ago, there's never been any other $35 charge. Th Asurion deductibles have been $50/$100/$150/$200 forever, and that's only for unrepairable damage.

Is there some market where it hadn't already been marked up?

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

FlyingCheese posted:

It really depends on where you live. If you live in a decently sized metro area, Sprint is usually just fine. I personally get LTE right outside my house, 20 down/10 up and I don't even live in a big city anymore.

Counterpoint: I work in downtown San Francisco and if my 3G is working at all I consider myself lucky.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I said usually. :(

Jawtramp
Nov 27, 2010

by XyloJW

TVs Ian posted:

The price for a repair without TEP went from $35 to $50 a long time ago, there's never been any other $35 charge. Th Asurion deductibles have been $50/$100/$150/$200 forever, and that's only for unrepairable damage.

Is there some market where it hadn't already been marked up?

From what I've read it's for ERP, I had failed to mention that part. I'm still a little shakey understanding all the details behind the insurances.

Jawtramp fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 28, 2013

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Jawtramp posted:

From what I've read it's for ERP, I had failed to mention that part. I'm still a little shakey understanding all the details behind the insurances.

ERP is the Asurion-only, doesn't cover in-store service version of the insurance (ESRP is the Sprint-only, doesn't cover damage/loss version). It's been $50 for in-store service on ERP, so I still have no idea what's changing, unless it's specific to one market.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Trip report after switching to the Galaxy S3 from the EVO 4G LTE for the past few days:

The difference in LTE connectivity is night and day. I've been holding on to 4G signals longer and getting them back quicker than my EVO LTE ever did. Buildings that I would go in to with my EVO LTE would cause it to drop to 3G, well the GS3 stays on 4G and when it does drop to 3G it pops right back to 4G once I go outside or get near a window.

I drove through some areas that were known dead spots for my EVO. In the past, if I drove through these spots (usually around big forest preserves), my EVO would drop to 3G or 1X and stay there for quite some time even after leaving the dead zone. With the GS3, I did still drop to 3G during these stretches of road, but it went right back to 4G without me having to do airplane mode or reset the data. Multitasking seems a little better as well, with apps not closing seemingly immediately after you go back to the home screen. So I can open a webpage, find some information, switch to the phone app to make a call, then go back to my internet page and be right where I left off. With the EVO, the moment you left the browser and came back to it the page would reload from scratch and you'd lose your place. This was also a problem with the Awful app where you'd lose your place in the thread.

This is probably beating a dead horse at this point, but if you're having problems connecting to 4G with the EVO LTE, you will really notice a big difference by switching to the GS3.

tehDiceman
Jan 10, 2013

RBX posted:

I get poo poo signal everywhere but my house pretty much and that's because of my wifi. It's a real pain going anywhere where there's no wifi.

This. I just moved major markets, had garbage service the entire drive across country, it's the same here and where I was. Think I'm pulling the trigger on my ETF today because the phone is unusable for anything data.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

tehDiceman posted:

This. I just moved major markets, had garbage service the entire drive across country, it's the same here and where I was. Think I'm pulling the trigger on my ETF today because the phone is unusable for anything data.

Are you keeping your phone and switching to someone else with it? If someone goes the ETF route but wants to keep their phone, what are their options?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

I said come in! posted:

What sort of service do you guys not get? Texting and phone calls are perfect for me, but mobile data is non-existent even though the coverage map guarantees I get it.

I have to go outside my house to make calls and texts take 2 or 3 attempts to go through usually.

I also get no data at work and very little service so even my Note 2 ends up with a 30%-40% battery by the end of the day.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

Are you keeping your phone and switching to someone else with it? If someone goes the ETF route but wants to keep their phone, what are their options?

If you leave Sprint, you can take your phone with you to Ting (a Sprint MVNO), reflash it for a different Sprint MVNO (maybe), sell it, or throw it away. This is true whether you complete your contract or pay an ETF.

Jawtramp
Nov 27, 2010

by XyloJW

TVs Ian posted:

ERP is the Asurion-only, doesn't cover in-store service version of the insurance (ESRP is the Sprint-only, doesn't cover damage/loss version). It's been $50 for in-store service on ERP, so I still have no idea what's changing, unless it's specific to one market.

Then I'm not really sure then, the online training docs said this was a Asurion change going in on the 26th of September. :shrug:

As for getting bad reception/service, if you call about it they can check the Network Event Board to see any ongoing outages or network vision upgrades that are scheduled in your area. They can also refresh your service elements which can also help sometimes, which is basically like rebooting the connection links to all services from tower to phone the way I understand it.

Edit: Found out it WAS changed in some markets since July, sorry!

Jawtramp fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 29, 2013

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I don't know why Sprint doesn't have the ability to just notify people in their billing zipcodes about upgrades in their areas.

My dad wants me to tell him as soon as the new nexus comes out, because he is ready to jump ship off of Sprint, after I embarrassed him on a speed test with Net10. The first speed test we ran, his phone disconnected half way through!

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I've seen them send text messages to people connected to a certain tower that's getting worked on saying they will be experiencing service issues for the next few days but, yeah, their notification system sucks.

tehDiceman
Jan 10, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Pretty much nill. Verizon won't activate a sprint phone and vice versa. Although, verizon gives credits if you trade your phone in, as does sprint and probably others. It all depends on who you want to switch to.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

My mom upgraded to a gs3 in april of this year. She's been having a lot of problems with it disconnecting from the internet, bad service, and white screens. She's thinking about trying to turn her phone in and get a new iphone. What's the best way to do this? Is there a way to do this without paying full price on a new iphone?

We have a sprint family plan if that matters.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
I change phones quite often. I have an HTC One right now, but I was looking at the upcoming LG G2 with its half inch bigger screen. The problem on the LG G2 (for me) is that even though the screen is half an inch bigger, a portion of the screen is being used by the on-screen navigation buttons, so there's not really an extra half inch of usable space. Add the dock on top of the buttons, and it looks as though there it has less usable space than the HTC One when the dock is visible. I guess that I will have to look at the Note 3 if I want a decent increase in screen size.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013
Does Sprint still sell the iPhone 5 at the Sprint Stores?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Anonomono posted:

Does Sprint still sell the iPhone 5 at the Sprint Stores?

If they have any left. It's been discontinued, the remaining stock has been marked down $100 from the old prices. The warehouse was out of 16GB as of yesterday, so your only shot is to call a local store and see if they still have some (unless you want a 32 or 64GB). Or get an iPhone 5C, same thing but plastic.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

http://swappa.com/devices/sprint

You can sell there with almost no hassle. Decent phones from this gen get 300-500 and from last gen 180-250. They take a flat $10 fee and the transaction is protected for both people through paypal buyer and seller protection (for good or ill).

This generation is HTC One, GS4
Last gerenation is GS3, EVO LTE, Optimus G

I bought a Sprint GS3 a couple weeks after the GS4 came out for $250.

Galaxy Note 2 is between. iPhones sell for silly prices 350-900 as they always do. Sell it don't keep it if you aren't using it.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I've googled it, but has anyone here had the duplicate text issue and gotten rid of it? I sent a friend of mine a text (I'm on AT&T) and she said last night her phone kept on getting messages all night.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was wondering if someone could explain Sprint's phone upgrade policy. My understanding is that you get the option to upgrade a phone that has been on a phone number of yours for one year. Are there discounts or do you just pay the full price of the phone?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

I said come in! posted:

I was wondering if someone could explain Sprint's phone upgrade policy. My understanding is that you get the option to upgrade a phone that has been on a phone number of yours for one year. Are there discounts or do you just pay the full price of the phone?

Sprint upgrades are at 22 months of your contract. At that time you can upgrade a phone and pay new customer pricing (all the rebates and what not).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ninmeister posted:

Sprint upgrades are at 22 months of your contract. At that time you can upgrade a phone and pay new customer pricing (all the rebates and what not).

Bleh at 22 months! :v: But the phone I have right now is really great and it'll last me that long for what i'm using it for.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Actually, let me correct myself. Sprint changed it to 20 months. So hey, 2 months better.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

ninmeister posted:

Actually, let me correct myself. Sprint changed it to 20 months. So hey, 2 months better.

Is that retroed? I bought my phone in Jan 2012, and it says my upgrade is ready on Nov 1st, which would be exactly 22 months. Can I call and get that reduced?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Is that retroed? I bought my phone in Jan 2012, and it says my upgrade is ready on Nov 1st, which would be exactly 22 months. Can I call and get that reduced?

Not retroactive, but that change happened on 10/2/2011, so something doesn't add up.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

WoG posted:

Not retroactive, but that change happened on 10/2/2011, so something doesn't add up.

I'm going to call...Sprint clearly says 11/1/13 for upgrade, and I can see the email on Jan 2012 with shipping status...I did have to upgrade my SERO to the premium SERO version, could that have done something?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

LorneReams posted:

I did have to upgrade my SERO to the premium SERO version, could that have done something?
It shouldn't -- I made that change with my s3 last november, and I show a 20 month difference in contract and upgrade months. Does the website show your contract as 1/12-1/14? (as soon as you login, down in the 'About my devices' section, there's a 'See my contract details' link next to each phone)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I bought the iPhone 4S in Nov of '11 and was eligible on July 1st of this year.

tehDiceman
Jan 10, 2013
One other thing you can try, if you don't mind trading in your old phone and it has any value, you could break the contract, trade the phone in to pay the ETF, then buy the phone on a new contract. Might not be ok with special plans you don't want to lose but under general circumstances it has worked for me before.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Looking to add a line with an iPhone to my account, and Sprint's website says the 5s won't ship for 4-6 weeks, and the 5c for 1 week and 2 weeks for the yellow. Can a retail salesperson tell me if the corporate and third party Sprint-branded stores have the same inventory problems? Should I call around with the hope that they receive a few items in inventory intermittently?

I have a Everything Plus Referral Plan. Are these still not able to be serviced at authorized retailers like Shack, Best Buy, Apple Store, etc?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

ninmeister posted:

They changed it back to 22 months this year.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

goku chewbacca posted:

Looking to add a line with an iPhone to my account, and Sprint's website says the 5s won't ship for 4-6 weeks, and the 5c for 1 week and 2 weeks for the yellow. Can a retail salesperson tell me if the corporate and third party Sprint-branded stores have the same inventory problems? Should I call around with the hope that they receive a few items in inventory intermittently?

I have a Everything Plus Referral Plan. Are these still not able to be serviced at authorized retailers like Shack, Best Buy, Apple Store, etc?

Some 3rd party/indirect stores still have white 5cs in stock. Everything else is on back order though and suffers from the same issues as direct-ship sales channels. No idea on the Everythin Plus plan, as my store does not really work with those all that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

goku chewbacca posted:

I know we can't handle EPRP at our retailer store, either. Our sales system gives us an error trying to pull up those accounts. Other retailers may be able to, definitely mention it if you're calling to check stock.

Since the launch, our store has received 3 16GB and 2 32 GB iPhone 5S (all gray), about 4 white 16GB 5Cs and 2 of each other color (except Yellow, only one of those), and 4 white, 1 blue 32 GB. We've had invoices in the system for a few more 5Cs, but they haven't actually shown up yet.

The warehouse that we, and I believe all other Sprint stores order from, has been consistently out of stock of 16 GB phones since day 2. There have been gray 32 and 64GB 5Ss from time to time, and 32GB 5Cs in all colors fairly regularly. I've seen white and a very small number of yellow 16GB 5Cs in there, but last I checked it was only 32GB. The iPhone 5 was also gone pretty quick, there may be a handful of 32 or 64GBs left.

Unless you desperately need the line right now, your best bet would be to order online and wait. We've got a waiting list at our store, and based on the slow shipments it may be weeks before we even get through that.

The supply problems for this launch really feel worse than any other iPhone launch.