Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Could someone with a fairly healthy knowledge of the ships/upgrades available look through this document at their leisure? I'm making myself a cheat booklet to share with my friends and want to know if I'm missing anything so far.

http://docs.com/WEPI

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Couple things I caught.

1) Arvel Crynyd doesn't get an Elite Pilot Talent
2) Garven doesn't get an Elite Pilot Talent either
3) Wedge is listed as having a modification but none of the other X-wings do. All Xwing ships can take ship mods
4) Howlrunner is listed as having a modification but none of the other Ties do. All Tie ships can take ship mods
Rest looks ok.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

Couple things I caught.

1) Arvel Crynyd doesn't get an Elite Pilot Talent
2) Garven doesn't get an Elite Pilot Talent either
3) Wedge is listed as having a modification but none of the other X-wings do. All Xwing ships can take ship mods
4) Howlrunner is listed as having a modification but none of the other Ties do. All Tie ships can take ship mods
Rest looks ok.

Okay, thank you. Was building it off of the voidstate squad builder and got mixed around due to using one screen. Reading up on the rules for ship modifications (haven't picked up a Wave 2+ ship yet) can any/all ships take modifications by default?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yes, every ship in the game can take either a Stealth, Engine Upgrade or Shield if they want to.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Out of curiosity, is anyone here dying for extra of the all-crimson interceptor? I'm really excited for the TIE Interceptor 2 pack, but I think the all-red one looks kinda bad. I'd love to set up some manner of swap with a goon that doesn't want their red-stripe one.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

jivjov posted:

Out of curiosity, is anyone here dying for extra of the all-crimson interceptor? I'm really excited for the TIE Interceptor 2 pack, but I think the all-red one looks kinda bad. I'd love to set up some manner of swap with a goon that doesn't want their red-stripe one.

Have they said anything about certain pilots being required to be in certain paint jobs? I ask only out of concern of you being left with a useless pilot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

PJOmega posted:

Have they said anything about certain pilots being required to be in certain paint jobs? I ask only out of concern of you being left with a useless pilot.

Since it's tournament legal to repaint your minis, I can't imagine they'd make a restriction like that. Also, I'm pretty sure a couple of the pilot cards from the stock TIE Interceptor show red-striped ships and you can use them with the all-grey ship just fine.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Man do I wish the regular Interceptors were all gray instead of blue. All TIEs are the same color, they just used a different compositing technique in the sequels.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

Man do I wish the regular Interceptors were all gray instead of blue. All TIEs are the same color, they just used a different compositing technique in the sequels.

Fortunately, we can paint them.

I know exactly what I'm doing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Poopy Palpy posted:

ALL SPECIAL EFFECTS GLITCHES ARE CANON EVENTS

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

quote:

Originally meant to have a blue color on the hull, this was abandoned when blue-screen filming made the fighters transparent. The original TIE/ln fighters seen in A New Hope were relatively white in color; the TIEs of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were more gray with a gradual bluish hue added during post-production.

That sounds like the shift to blue was intentional.

quote:

Initially given a blue color scheme, the TIE fighter models for the first Star Wars movie were grey to better film against a bluescreen; TIE fighters in the next two movies shifted back to being a muted blue.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

alg posted:

That sounds like the shift to blue was intentional.

But they did it for all the TIEs at Endor, not just the squints and dupes. FFG went on and on about how they didn't take anyone's word when it came to scale but they made the same color screw up everyone has.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
My girlfriend wants to give it a shot, so I figured I'd go open up my TIE Advanced and Y-Wing to go with the core set.

Or I could ebay them for 3x as much as I paid for them, then rebuy them when they inevitably get rereleased. Jeez.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Dear lord what have I done.

I just ordered a http://us.battlefoam.com/products/%28Go%29-P.A.C.K.-Go-Custom-Foam-Load-Out.html with the following tray config

Star Wars Imperial Fleet Wave 3 Foam Tray (BF-2)
Star Wars Rebel Fleet Wave 3 Foam Tray (BF-1.5)
Star Wars Pieces Foam Tray (BF-1.5)
Pluck Foam Tray for Battle Foam P.A.C.K. Bags (BF-2)
4 plain Toppers if the trays selected do not come with toppers

And then I ordered 2 Bombers, 2 Squints, 1 B-Wing, 1 HWK, 1 Firespray, and 1 Shuttle.

My god my wallet hurts. Thankfully I managed to sell about 1k worth of WH40k for $280. Kinda sad I did not get more considering how much was in the lot.

Once my Pack get's here, I can ride my motorcycle in style to the game shop!

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

I ordered some pluck foam for the bottom of my case a few weeks ago and should get it tonight or tomorrow.

I never thought I would be so excited about getting foam in the mail.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I'm just hoping now that their "shipping estimate" is a Scotty estimate. Cause I'm not sure I can wait 3 to 4 weeks for my foam and bag! :ohdear:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

TouchToneDialing posted:

I ordered some pluck foam for the bottom of my case a few weeks ago and should get it tonight or tomorrow.

I never thought I would be so excited about getting foam in the mail.

I keep all my X-wing stuff (even the tokens and dice) in pluck foam trays just because it was literally the most space efficient storage solution I could come up with. Tackle boxes ended up being too big and bulky if I actually wanted to carry all my stuff around. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any sort of container to actually put the trays in that isn't way too large.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I need an asteroid clarification.

I know if the movement template overlaps an asteroid while maneuvering the ship loses it's action and takes a damage roll.

However, when a ship lands on an asteroid does the ship also lose it's attack along with the action and taking a damage roll? Or is it just lose action and take a damage roll?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

If a ship lands on top of an asteroid, it cannot attack.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Ok that is what I thought. But so far everyone I have played said that was wrong.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alg posted:

If a ship lands on top of an asteroid, it cannot attack.

Another question, if I land on an obstacle in such a way that my next movement will overlap the obstacle (due to the front not beig quite over the asteroid) do I lose my action 2 turns running and roll for damage twice?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Another question, if I land on an obstacle in such a way that my next movement will overlap the obstacle (due to the front not beig quite over the asteroid) do I lose my action 2 turns running and roll for damage twice?

Yep!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Makes sense RAW, but little sense in the abstract. Still, good to know for tournaments.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Makes sense RAW, but little sense in the abstract. Still, good to know for tournaments.

Yeah it's a double whammy.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alg posted:

Yeah it's a double whammy.

Okay. It simply seems strange since the game is abstracting continuous movement. Flying through an obstacle in a single abstraction of movement costs you 1 action and 1 risk of damage, while flying through an obstacle in 2 abstractions costs you 2 actions and 2 risks of damage.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Okay. It simply seems strange since the game is abstracting continuous movement. Flying through an obstacle in a single abstraction of movement costs you 1 action and 1 risk of damage, while flying through an obstacle in 2 abstractions costs you 2 actions and 2 risks of damage.

Yeah I'm not too keen on it either. :shobon:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

PJOmega posted:

There are degrees of lovely flying. Flying so badly that you end up on but not past an asteroid means you suffer worse consequences.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

alg posted:

Yeah I'm not too keen on it either. :shobon:

I wonder if it will be changed. The FFG Star Trek game using the same system has a clarification that an obstacle you start on doesn't impede you the second turn in a row.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is the Star Trek game fun at all? I don't see a specific thread for it so I'll ask here. Some of the crew customization looks cool but I cant over how godawful the ships/card art are.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

Is the Star Trek game fun at all? I don't see a specific thread for it so I'll ask here. Some of the crew customization looks cool but I cant over how godawful the ships/card art are.

It's a reskinned X-Wing with Star Trek themes. Since you're piloting capital ships the Attack/Hull/Shield numbers are bigger, with Agility being 1-2. The typical ship seems to have 5+ enhancement slots (plus captain I think), so you're running fewer ships with a lot of bells and whistles. Think more battleships and less WWII dogfights.

TBH, while I was a huge Trek fan growing up I agree with you on the 'art'. Since it's all screencaps from shows in the early 90s and before it feels really dated. Still, they have Borg and 'Mirror Universe' listed as coming factions in the corebook, so the idea of flying around a Borg cube or an Enterprise-With-A-Goatee is amusing. For what it's worth the players playing it were having a lot of fun, and we got to make plenty of terrible jokes based on the series.

Of concern however is the tournament prizes. Since it is a WizKids production, a lot of game altering cards/units/dice will only be available through the tournaments. This includes an attack die with no misses and even some double hits that can be used once per turn, for only 5BP (out of 100). Also DS9 is a tournament prize exclusive, and can be used in tournaments. So keep that in mind if you're thinking of playing it competitively.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is there an online list builder like this to see all the cards/upgrades?

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

PJOmega posted:

I used this to kill Luke Skywalker in a tournament. The guy i was playing against was running the Wedge, Luke, Biggs squadron that requires them to fly in formation to take advantage of their synergy. I managed to herd them into a spot were Luke was forced to fly over an asteroid, i then moved my Millenium Falcon up so i'd be parked were Luke would end up in the formation. When Luke activated he ran straight into the Falcon and blew himself up on the asteroid he'd failed to move off.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Calico Noose posted:

I used this to kill Luke Skywalker in a tournament. The guy i was playing against was running the Wedge, Luke, Biggs squadron that requires them to fly in formation to take advantage of their synergy. I managed to herd them into a spot were Luke was forced to fly over an asteroid, i then moved my Millenium Falcon up so i'd be parked were Luke would end up in the formation. When Luke activated he ran straight into the Falcon and blew himself up on the asteroid he'd failed to move off.

What synergy was there beyond Biggs soaking hits? Still learning the game (on a competitive level) and am curious. Biggs with R2-F2 or R5-D8/Shield Enhancement, Luke with Swarm Tactics, Wedge with Expose, sprinkle Proton Torpedoes to taste? Also it seems it was foolish of your opponent to not break the formation. Treating 3 ships as an always formed up bloc is a quick way for your opponent to take advantage of your form.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Biggs' job is to pretty much soak as much fire until he pops and keep a better pilot alive. The fact he's still an X-wing is a bonus. But giving him F2 and a stealth modification can make him very annoying.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

Is there an online list builder like this to see all the cards/upgrades?

I don't know, as I said I watched other people play a 3-player scenario with the core set + 1 ship each.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

PJOmega posted:

What synergy was there beyond Biggs soaking hits? Still learning the game (on a competitive level) and am curious. Biggs with R2-F2 or R5-D8/Shield Enhancement, Luke with Swarm Tactics, Wedge with Expose, sprinkle Proton Torpedoes to taste? Also it seems it was foolish of your opponent to not break the formation. Treating 3 ships as an always formed up bloc is a quick way for your opponent to take advantage of your form.

You give Biggs R2-F2 and a stealth device and then Luke takes R2-D2 and Draw their Fire. Wedge gets to expose and then Biggs actions to for the evade, rolls 4 dice, if a single hit gets through, Luke uses Draw their Fire to keep Biggs stealth device intact and then uses R2 to keep himself at full shields.

Can't remember what he spent his last 3 points on.

Basically it functions as a fairly nasty Wedge delivery boat with all of your attacks being draw away to a hard to hit target then further diluted.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That sounds like a tasty tactic! I've only played a few games, and not in a shop or club, so I'm curious if there's a similar strategy for Empire players?

Also, I took a stab at painting the back side of the black glitter felt I got a while back, going for a 'nebulous explosion' sort of look:

I really need to look at pictures of nebulas while I'm trying that.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I really like Star Trek: Attack Wing. I mean, I'm kind of a Star Trek nerd, so take it with a grain of salt, but I think it's really fun. Cloaking is cool, and I like all the customization available. I like the feel of dealing with fewer ships that each have more poo poo going on.

From a fluff standpoint, there's also so much more to draw from without getting into weird expanded universe poo poo. There are four factions in the game, and there are still so many characters and ships to do. (Also, playing a game with more than two sides is fun.) Unfortunately, there's nothing like the X-wing squad builder, though you can find a lot of info if you poke around BGG.

The production quality is significantly worse than FFG's stuff. I think it would look fine to me if I hadn't been spoiled by X-Wing, which has really exceptional components.

Here are some future ship releases:
http://www.universaldist.com/images/document/STAW%20Wave%201%20Quick%20Solicit.pdf
http://deviramericas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/STAW-Wave-2-Quick-Solicit.pdf
http://deviramericas.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/STAW-Wave-3-Quick-Solicit.pdf

I have a big pile of stuff for both games, and right now I'd rather play Attack Wing, but like I said, I'm a bigger Trek nerd than Star Wars nerd, so maybe it's just that.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Wikipedia Brown posted:

There are four factions in the game,
<snip>(Also, playing a game with more than two sides is fun.)

This is the main thing that's jarring about X-Wing - it's impossible for me to get past seeing Rebel vs. Rebel fights and Empire vs. Empire fights. I know the setting is just the two sides (forgive me if there are more, I don't read the novels and such) and you can't get away from that, but it's just...weird to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Poopy Palpy posted:

There are degrees of lovely flying. Flying so badly that you end on but not past an asteroid means you suffer worse consequences.

Wait, I think I am all confused now. Let me try this out...

If during movement your movement template touches an asteroid AND you end your movement on said asteroid you actually take two damage rolls not one?

So one damage roll if template passes an asteroid but you clear it with the ship. Or one damage roll if your template does NOT touch an asteroid, but your ship still lands on one (like the edge). And then there is the template touches asteroid AND you land on that asteroid double damage roll?

• Locked thread