Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Cool, I'll write up the recruitment and post a link here today, hopefully.

edit: Recruitment is up

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Hello Star Wars EOTE thread: I have a rules interpretation question.

On page 93 it says:
Purchasing a specialization is basically the character buying the ability to purchase talents within that specialization. In addition, each specialization has career skills. These skills now count as career skills for the character (although he does not gain free advances in them, as he did with his first specialization). Characters may purchase and specialization in any career.
Does that mean that, for example, if I were to buy the Hired Gun: Mercenary specialization on my Smuggler: Pilot, would I get Athletics, et cetera, as well as Discipline, Gunnery, Leadership and Ranged (Heavy)?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Only the skills listed in that specific specialization become career skills for you. Buying into Mercenary Soldier only unlocks Discipline, Gunnery, Leadership and Ranged (Heavy).

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

So the Age of Rebellion Beta book has been released, and is available for purchase on FFG's webstore. $29.95.

Was going to pick it up, but shipping to NC is $11.75 :aaaaa:

NEVERMIND. I can't rationalize paying $42 for a softcover beta book that'll I'll repurchase when it releases. I guess I can wait.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, pricey, but I bit the bullet. I'm going to make my gaming group chip in a few bucks each to help cover the cost. AoR is the one I'm most interested in out of the three primary sets, so even if no one helps, I'm okay with it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Carteret posted:

So the Age of Rebellion Beta book has been released, and is available for purchase on FFG's webstore. $29.95.

Was going to pick it up, but shipping to NC is $11.75 :aaaaa:

NEVERMIND. I can't rationalize paying $42 for a softcover beta book that'll I'll repurchase when it releases. I guess I can wait.

Ask at your FLGS :)

I've been bugging GAmer's Armory in Cary about it since Gencon.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The game showed up at my local store, so I picked it up. I am pretty sure I will get $30 worth of use out of it before the AoR core book comes out. There are some new species and specializations, and some new Force things, so for those alone I think it will be worth it. Duty is also a nice complement to Obligation (when your Duty comes up in a session you ADD to your Wound threshold). I am enjoying how much thought appears to have gone into making the games different but compatible.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

Ask at your FLGS :)

I've been bugging GAmer's Armory in Cary about it since Gencon.

No dice at Atomic Empire :(

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I really really love living 5 minutes from FFG headquarters and the Fantasy Flight Games Event center. Especially as an X-Wing, Edge of Empire, and Netrunner player! I'm really enjoying the beta book so far, the new options for race and class will be great even in an Edge of Empire game.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

pbpancho posted:

I really really love living 5 minutes from FFG headquarters and the Fantasy Flight Games Event center. Especially as an X-Wing, Edge of Empire, and Netrunner player! I'm really enjoying the beta book so far, the new options for race and class will be great even in an Edge of Empire game.

Let me know how that is in February :colbert:

New preview for Enter the Unknown, which says it is coming 'soon'.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4385

Chiss, Duros, Toydarians, + 3 new specializations that include ranked talents from the main book.

This looks really solid.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

Let me know how that is in February :colbert:

New preview for Enter the Unknown, which says it is coming 'soon'.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4385

Chiss, Duros, Toydarians, + 3 new specializations that include ranked talents from the main book.

This looks really solid.

I am most excited about the additional species and ESPECIALLY having "signature moves" in careers. Your ability to take any specialization anywhere -- and add its skills to your career skills -- makes your original choice of career unimportant (aside from XP, which keeps coming as long as the campaign does).

The FFG Event Center was the only place I was able to find Beyond the Rim and print copies of the free RPG day adventure (before they put it online). I still prefer The Source, though. :P

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just so I understand what FFG is planning to do with these three games: say I start GM'ing an Edge of the Empire campaign right now, since it's out. Whenever I get my hands on Age of Rebellion, can I then start injecting stuff from that into my EotE game, since they're both fully compatible? And vice-versa?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

To a certain degree, yes. Since you can take specializations from any career, you should have no problem in that regard - just keep in mind that some of the specializations are exactly the same as the ones from EotE. The only possibly sticky area involves Duty and Obligation, but it seems entirely possible to simply have both since their mechanical ties to your character involve different stats. We're experimenting with that in the game I'm in, as we're becoming plausibly deniable agents for the Empire.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

To a certain degree, yes. Since you can take specializations from any career, you should have no problem in that regard - just keep in mind that some of the specializations are exactly the same as the ones from EotE. The only possibly sticky area involves Duty and Obligation, but it seems entirely possible to simply have both since their mechanical ties to your character involve different stats. We're experimenting with that in the game I'm in, as we're becoming plausibly deniable agents for the Empire.

The specializations may not stay the same with the advent of signature moves (or then again they may).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I know there've been a few PbP games of EotE here on the forums, but has anyone ever successfully organized a group over Roll20/Skype or something similar?

I've been listening to podcasts of some of the better-known games posted in the LP subforum (like Grey Hunter's Rogue Trader campaign or General Ironicus' 4e campaign) and it's really making me interested in doing something live. And I'm sure an LP-style thing would help make SW:EotE a bit more popular as well, though you'd have to do it with a group of people who already work well together and have good chemistry.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Drone, I think you should do it. I've got the books for nearly a month now and I still can't find someone to play with. A live game would do me wonders.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Druggeddwarf posted:

Drone, I think you should do it. I've got the books for nearly a month now and I still can't find someone to play with. A live game would do me wonders.

I totally would were it not for two factors: 1.) I'm in Germany, so aligning timezones with North Americans would be hard (but not impossible I guess, Grey Hunter's LP manages to do it), and 2.) I've never GM'd a game before, or even completed a whole campaign of EotE as a player.

Otherwise I have been toying with a homebrewed campaign idea that I think seems pretty cool, so if nothing came of a live game, I might consider running a PbP after Mustache Ride's game gets off the ground.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

1) I'm in the UK

2) I too have no idea what I am doing, but I suppose we could learn stuff as we go.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I'm in the Pacific (GMT +10) and have been looking to try this game, so if you run it mid-day your time, I could join you. I've listened to enough of the Order 66 podcast that I think I understand the basics.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
I got the AOR Beta book today - if there's any specific questions anyone wants answered, I can give it a shot. My GM is likely going to borrow it on Sunday, so make them count.

Here's a quick little overview:

Species: Bothan, Droid, Duros, Gran, Human, Ithorian, Mon Calamari and Sullustan.

Class/Specs: Ace (Driver, Gunner, Pilot); Commander (Commodore, Squad Leader, Tactician); Diplomat (Ambassador, Agitator, Quartermaster); Engineer (Mechanic, Saboteur, Scientist); Soldier (Commando, Medic, Sharpshooter); Spy (Infiltrator, Scout, Slicer)

Stats for A-Wing, X-Wing, Y-Wing, B-Wing, TIE/LN, TIE Interceptor, TIE Defender, TIE Bomber, Lambda Long Range Shuttle, Nebulon-B Frigate, Dreadnought Class Heavy Cruiser, Vindicator Class Heavy Cruiser, Imperial Class Star Destroyer, Victory Class Star Destroyer and a bunch more I don't care about.

Force Trees for Move, Enhance and Forsee

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

My GM got his copy the other day and let me look at it last night. We both agreed that one of the specialization trees - I think it was Commodore - is the absolute loving worst. It's four straight columns that are each, for the most part, two alternating ranked talents based on a theme within the column. All the columns join up at the bottom row. It is god-awful.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I thought that it was the Immobilizer 418 and not the Vindicator? Although they're built on the same hull.

Also, what's your take on this Armor 5 stuff re: the X-wing? The arguments on that over on the official forums descended into weirdness and "I'm out of this thread", but I'm admittedly leaning towards 3 (as in, it's how I'd house-rule it as a GM), maybe 4 at most...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

How do some of the new races (Ithorian, Duros, Sullustan, Mon Cal) compare to their counterparts from the Unofficial Species Menagerie? Thinking in terms of balance/intended play style.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

My GM got his copy the other day and let me look at it last night. We both agreed that one of the specialization trees - I think it was Commodore - is the absolute loving worst. It's four straight columns that are each, for the most part, two alternating ranked talents based on a theme within the column. All the columns join up at the bottom row. It is god-awful.

I don't have it in front of me -- why is this god-awful? Who cares what the tree is shaped like? People who want whatever those talents are will take that specialization, those who don't will not. Now if the talents are bad, and you're only getting a couple, I could see that being awful.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

It's lazy and uninteresting design. I don't recall what the talents are off the top of my head, so I couldn't tell you if they're any good except from one column which I recall is just Command and Confidence alternating. I don't think either of those talents are particularly bad per se, it's just exceptionally dull to have nothing but that in a straight line all the way down to Determination or whatever's at the bottom. A good talent tree, to me, should have you looking at it and thinking that you want quite a lot of it, and having a moderately complex path.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

It's lazy and uninteresting design. I don't recall what the talents are off the top of my head, so I couldn't tell you if they're any good except from one column which I recall is just Command and Confidence alternating. I don't think either of those talents are particularly bad per se, it's just exceptionally dull to have nothing but that in a straight line all the way down to Determination or whatever's at the bottom. A good talent tree, to me, should have you looking at it and thinking that you want quite a lot of it, and having a moderately complex path.

Aha! Thanks for answering! For me, what matters is "do these talents help a character feel more like a [specialization name]?"; the tree, to me, is simply a game balance thing, making some more powerful talents more expensive via the route you have to take. Yours is a different perspective!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4410

Hired Gun supplement.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

I'm pretty happy at the pace they're announcing these supplements. I'm totally buying all of them, gonna fill up a shelf or two with these bitches with only slight regret!

I'm curious why they made no mention of new species in this press release. The Explorer supplement didn't say anything about new races at first despite the Chiss on the cover, but in the second press release they confirmed 3 new species. I'd expect them to do the same here, and since that's an Aqualish on the cover I'd expect them to be one.

The Career signature abilities that these two career supplements mention are very intriguing to me, I can't wait to see what they end up looking like.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

The Age of Rebellion Beta update went up today, with some interesting changes. Chief among them appears to be a clarification of speed and range bands for flying/driving - it now takes 2 move actions to change between range bands in a vehicle regardless of speed - and the addition of the Massive trait to capital ships, which raises an attacker's crit rating by 1 per rank when targeting these ships.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm curious why they made no mention of new species in this press release. The Explorer supplement didn't say anything about new races at first despite the Chiss on the cover, but in the second press release they confirmed 3 new species. I'd expect them to do the same here, and since that's an Aqualish on the cover I'd expect them to be one.

I think it's just that, wanting you checking back and getting more excited when you learn more. I would be surprised if a future press release didn't mention new species and the signature abilities for Hired Guns. This was the first RPG book I worked on, and it's fun to see it announced.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

The Age of Rebellion Beta update went up today, with some interesting changes. Chief among them appears to be a clarification of speed and range bands for flying/driving - it now takes 2 move actions to change between range bands in a vehicle regardless of speed - and the addition of the Massive trait to capital ships, which raises an attacker's crit rating by 1 per rank when targeting these ships.
On top of that...
  • The Ithorian Bellow "weapon" uses Resilience, not Ranged (Light).
  • Knowledge (Galactic Civil War) was replaced with Knowledge (Warfare) to make it relatively era-neutral.
  • The X-wing's Armor was reduced to 3.
  • Retrofitted Hangar Bay (in the AoR beta) now has its Modification Options entry read "5 Additional maximum silhouette (+1) capacity Mods."
  • Darktrooper was rendered a Rival instead of a Nemesis.
I'm guessing that the Massive starship quality correlates with certain Silhouette sizes (ranks = number of Silhouette sizes above 6) instead of actually requiring them, but all of the starships that received ranks in Massive are 600+ meters in length while the Vigil-class corvette isn't (it's in the nebulous range between 5 and 6 where the Lancer-class sits) and thus didn't get the trait.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Am I reading this right? A weapon with Auto-Fire can be modded with the Jury Rigged talent to only need ONE Advantage to proc (talent says "any other effect by one to a minimum of one")?

Sweet Jesus...

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Probably not, but it's not certain. Read the full talent description. It's not explicit, and I don't have my book right here in front of me, but the reading is something about increasing a numeric stat. Auto-Fire isn't a numeric entity. It costs two to activate, but it isn't a stat. It's a cost. However, I admit that it could be interpreted that your way, and I chose not to go that way so that my GM wouldn't outright murder me after I installed my new barrel and all the mods and got my damage to 13. Auto Fire is already the best thing in the game. It doesn't need to be better.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

You can also decrease activation cost of any weapon ability or critical by one to a minimum of 1 so yeah it's just a really good ability as long as you're a good enough shot to still hit with the extra die of difficulty.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

Hopefully posting in the right place this time..

Guys, any chance we can get a link to This page thrown into the OP? I am especially impressed with the Star Wars Dice for dummies Pdf.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Do my eyes deceive me, or does that pdf use a font for the symbols?

Speaking of which, made dice icons.
Boost: | Ability: | Proficiency:
Setback: | Difficulty: | Challenge:
Force: | Light Point: | Dark Point:

and some result icons.
Triumph: | Success: | Advantage: | Despair: | Failure: | Threat:

e: Found the font in that thread, its in one of the signatures of the people posting there. This links direct to the font file.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Do my eyes deceive me, or does that pdf use a font for the symbols?

This is awesome!

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
I'm really digging this system so far.

As a joke scenario for my group, I'm working on a one-session thing I'm going to call "Imperial Walkers on the North Ridge" for Halloween featuring the stranded survivors of a crashed transport after the evacuation of Hoth. It'll be a sort of cliche zombies plus The Thing sort of idea. Imperial "walkers", y-you get it? Heh... heh. Ugh.

Has anybody used minion groups in their game that only use brawl or melee attacks? I'm trying to figure out how to make this work right.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Arschlochkind posted:

I'm really digging this system so far.

As a joke scenario for my group, I'm working on a one-session thing I'm going to call "Imperial Walkers on the North Ridge" for Halloween featuring the stranded survivors of a crashed transport after the evacuation of Hoth. It'll be a sort of cliche zombies plus The Thing sort of idea. Imperial "walkers", y-you get it? Heh... heh. Ugh.

Has anybody used minion groups in their game that only use brawl or melee attacks? I'm trying to figure out how to make this work right.

What are you having trouble with in regards to minion groups? I don't see why brawl/melee minions would be different from ranged ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Epi Lepi posted:

What are you having trouble with in regards to minion groups? I don't see why brawl/melee minions would be different from ranged ones.

I was just wondering if anybody has used minions with no ranged attacks and if they're a threat at all, considering the problems some people have staying in Engaged range. I don't want my players just running circles around them all the time, but I guess I could set up jump scare ambushes and corridor fights and whatnot.

I think some of the zombies in that Death Troopers book could still use weapons, so I may have some henchmen zombies with blasters too.

• Locked thread