Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Joe Rogan has been legitimately hilarious in the past. NewsRadio is probably my favorite sitcom of all time. Admittedly his character there was a parody of right-wing militia types but, hey, it worked.

Joe Rogan is a left libertarian, not a conservative.

Also, NewsRadio is one of the greatest sitcoms ever. RIP Phil, gently caress you Andy Dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Since this is the Great Americans & Right Wing Media thread, Tom Clancy is dead. RIP dude who wrote some fairly entertaining technothrillers early on and went completely off the rails after the cold war ended.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

Joe Rogan is a left libertarian, not a conservative.

Also, NewsRadio is one of the greatest sitcoms ever. RIP Phil, gently caress you Andy Dick

Joe Rogan is (jokingly) starting his own political party, called the Freak Party(tribute to Hunter S. Thompson) because "Republicans are lying, Democrats are lying, and Libertarians are insane".

Source: I am a big MMA nerd and listen to his podcast occasionally(mainly when MMA fighters are on).

Dirt fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 2, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ReindeerF posted:

Since this is the Great Americans & Right Wing Media thread, Tom Clancy is dead. RIP dude who wrote some fairly entertaining technothrillers early on and went completely off the rails after the cold war ended.

The man was a master at licensing his name too.
There are entire book series that don't have a single contribution by him.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So that's where the magic happens.

For him. It's probably a nightmarish clown show for the young boys.

I always imagined this but with a captured Dominican.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWq15lDh8yM&t=91s

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm pretty sure every Clancy book since 2002 is actually ghost written.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Are you guys seriously this deaf to satire? Mike Nelson was probably taking the piss telling an interviewer he was conservative. It's also silly to call guys like Colin Quinn or Norm McDonald "conservative comedians". Politics has nothing to do with their comedy. Unless we're also going to call Anthony Jeselnik a "liberal comedian" just because his joke style tends to hint that he doesn't like conservatives.

In one of his recent stand up specials, Norm did do some political humor and it was cringeworthy conservative crap. It made me a little disappointed because I like him a lot and he was saying some really inane, ignorant and unfunny political things.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
Jay Mohr gets plenty of work hosting Blizzcon.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

There are probably many comics and entertainers who funny and good who have conservative politics, but we probably don't know who most of them are because as noted in prior posts, if they view their art as a means of promoting their political leanings, then their art is probably poo poo (and this would apply to liberal comics as well).

The enclaves that conservatives create where the primary identity of the group is as political conservatives, like Conservapedia and the various right wing Facebook-type ghettos, are generally poo poo because of the primary requirement of being conservative as opposed to being a good resource for other reasons.

I think that liberal comics have a bit of a house advantage because most normal people find it funnier when the wealthy dowager gets a pie in the face then when the homeless bum living in the gutter does, but that doesn't even come close to accounting for why stuff like Right to Laugh or The Half Hour News Hour suck so badly.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I don't know much about Mike Nelson's political beliefs, but he's definitely funny, although I've never heard his jokes take a stand on a political issue. All I can remember are references and light hearted jabs at various politicians and events. And I do agree with the sentiment many of you have stated about the priorities of a comedian. The Daily Show is good because its primary goal is to be funny, not to be liberal. P.J. O'Rourke is someone I remember being both funny and conservative, although since I last read his books in high school, and I've become a lot more liberal in the years since then, I'm not sure how well he'll hold up. But he's the older kind of conservative, who probably wouldn't be well liked by the tea party crowd.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
How does we know that Clancy wasn't done in by an inside job? Makes you think...

Im That One Guy posted:

Jay Mohr gets plenty of work hosting Blizzcon.

Blizzcon 2010 or whenever the dude broke his leg by dancing might be the greatest thing ever streamed on the Internet. Jay Mohr was loving loaded, too.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Rush just now raged against AMC movie theaters for offering free popcorn to furloughed federal workers. He then transitioned into implying that this was racist because what about immigrants that need photo ID's to vote? Those people won't have a valid photo ID to get their popcorn! They're going to get back pay anyway, why should any company sympathize with their plight?! :bahgawd:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

kik2dagroin posted:

Rush just now raged against AMC movie theaters for offering free popcorn to furloughed federal workers. He then transitioned into implying that this was racist because what about immigrants that need photo ID's to vote? Those people won't have a valid photo ID to get their popcorn! They're going to get back pay anyway, why should any company sympathize with their plight?! :bahgawd:

The right wing messaging is really hilariously imploding as it tries to go three directions at once with this shutdown.

"It's not that bad, really!"

"It's all the DEMOCRAT'S faults! :argh:"

"Yes, this is what we've BEEN STRIVING FOR MY BROTHERS, BURN IT ALL DOWN :unsmigghh:"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Christ, Rush, really? Free popcorn is handed out everywhere: car dealerships, open houses, sales seminars. What the gently caress? Did he say anything about Hyundai suspending car payments for furloughed government workers.

edit: I just remembered, one of the things that's always bugged me the most about Rush is that he enlisted and accepted the help of the ACLU when people were going after his medical records a while back but he still regularly shits on them.

You'd think that would be enough to destroy his conservative credibility and would certainly get more play.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

kik2dagroin posted:

So, I'm assuming he was equally if not more appalled at the voter ID initiative right? :shepface:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think if you can regularly wrap your mind around vehemently anti-gay politicians being outed as big fans of gay sex you can forgive Rush for being a disloyal snake. With the added salve of him telling you how great he is and how great you are for listening to him.

Don't even go that far, just the mental gymnastics needed to put this shutdown on Dems. Even Boehner, who I thought was pretty good at finding the tea party bumper sticker explanation of anything, seems to be trying to turn everyone into a congressional procedure wonk in order to explain why it's not his fault.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

More messaging collapse as it occurs.

It's a slimdown, obviously not as bad as a shutdown! Sooooo even if we can't dodge the blame don't, uh, put too much blame on us, it 'aint that bad!

But is Obama using the not-so-bad slimdown to exact vengeance on the American People?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
That slimdown poo poo is so transparent it's amazing. Fox has no shame at all.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nachos posted:

That slimdown poo poo is so transparent it's amazing. Fox has no shame at all.

They say it's not so bad and then criticize Obama for supposedly using it for political leverage in the same loving graphic. I can scarcely believe even Fox News would be this rock-stupid transparent about their role as a propaganda machine.

At least have some deft messaging skill, jesus christ Fox News.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 2, 2013

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I went there just now and instead saw a story about how a missing hiker isn't being searched for because of the Obama Administration's Slimdown. Shameless.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Just like how the sequester was a totally awesome thing sure to reign in government spending right up until it happened, then all of a sudden it was Obama's idea and they never wanted it in the first place.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Apparently Fox has actually been altering the text of AP stories they're publishing to read 'slimdown' instead of 'shutdown'.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eviltastic posted:

Apparently Fox has actually been altering the text of AP stories they're publishing to read 'slimdown' instead of 'shutdown'.

Hahahah loving christ. It's too late for that particular language shift, that ship has sailed.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eviltastic posted:

Ctrl + F "shutdown"

Replace with "slimdown"

Heh, take that libs :smug:

God this is getting real retarded real fast.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Rush and the free popcorn thing gets me because I've seen Doug Lipp, the guy who created a lot of Disney University's policies for training their park staff, talk about how empowering every single employee to give out free popcorn at their own discretion was one of the best customer service decisions Disney parks ever made. And also how incredibly difficult it was to convince the people running the business to go along with it, even though it costs them practically nothing. Doug charges tens of thousands of dollars on the speaking circuit, presenting about customer service to Fortune 500 companies.

Giving every janitor in the park the ability to shut up crying children immediately with a bag of popcorn (with a special message that Mickey saw them crying and wants them to have it so they smile again) plays a significant part in the illusion that everyone is having a good time. Meanwhile they stand in line in the heat and pay $70 to feed their family the equivalent of fast food 2 meals a day.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

quiggy posted:

I went there just now and instead saw a story about how a missing hiker isn't being searched for because of the Obama Administration's Slimdown. Shameless.

What? Link please.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

BiggerBoat posted:

What? Link please.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/02/partial-shutdown-complicates-search-for-missing-idaho-hiker/

e:

Front page story as it appears to me:

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

eviltastic posted:

Media Matters is collecting them here.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
They're having such a hard time with this poo poo.

I think it's more of a product of having absolutely no clear GOP messaging on the whole thing now that it actually happened. It's pretty clear they were betting all their chips on Harry Reid and Obama giving them the new paired down demand (one year delay on the individual mandate) and didn't have any good excuses lined up beyond the boilerplate "Well they're part of the government too and they aren't negotiating". Ted Cruz, reality and the optics of what they've been doing and saying for the past 6 months cuts that one off at the knees.

The shutdown was caused by political idiots and a complete failure of leadership in the house (good luck explaining that to an audience who've been told Ted Cruz is a hero) and there's no room out there anymore to claim the ACA fight was worth it.

There's just no plausible bumper sticker slogan out there that isn't literally laugh-worthy now that coverage is all over the shutdown and either their newsroom or their audience is not saavy enough to argue procedure. The best they can do is fence-sit about how the shutdown is a terrible thing when Obama is on TV and not really all that terrible when John Boehner's on TV.

Do they have some sort of Origin story for "Slimdown" or are they just nakedly trying to avoid the word itself? Do they put a little explanation in every story they run about it?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 2, 2013

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They're basically trying to brand it as though the result of Congress's budget issue is the Slimdown, a minor thing that no one really would notice. But Obama wants to put pressure on the GOP, so he is going above and beyond that and escalating it to a Shutdown, shutting down services so people will suffer. He's cold and unfeeling and will deliberately make people suffer for his political gain; it's remarkably similar to Benghazi.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

They're basically trying to brand it as though the result of Congress's budget issue is the Slimdown, a minor thing that no one really would notice. But Obama wants to put pressure on the GOP, so he is going above and beyond that and escalating it to a Shutdown, shutting down services so people will suffer. He's cold and unfeeling and will deliberately make people suffer for his political gain; it's remarkably similar to Benghazi.

Congress did try and squeak through some half-assed bills that would return funding to some of the more visible government agencies yesterday or today, the stated narrative may be taking this into account.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

happyhippy posted:

Well there are hints in his MT3K work but barely noticable. They fit in with the scenario they are riffing on.
However, one of their opening links was a bit more obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrwbTgVuOw

"What about the UN black helicopter's maam" is one if the barely noticable ones that comes to mind. =

I love Rifftrax, but some of the jokes can definitely be identified as Mike's. The Starship Troopers live show had a riff about ACORN voting fraud, and it wasn't from the perspective of "isn't this idea nutty?"

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

ponzicar posted:

I don't know much about Mike Nelson's political beliefs, but he's definitely funny, although I've never heard his jokes take a stand on a political issue. All I can remember are references and light hearted jabs at various politicians and events. And I do agree with the sentiment many of you have stated about the priorities of a comedian. The Daily Show is good because its primary goal is to be funny, not to be liberal. P.J. O'Rourke is someone I remember being both funny and conservative, although since I last read his books in high school, and I've become a lot more liberal in the years since then, I'm not sure how well he'll hold up. But he's the older kind of conservative, who probably wouldn't be well liked by the tea party crowd.
Where RiffTrax (which AFAIK is Mike Nelson's main thing these days) references political stuff (which isn't often) they're pretty equal opportunity, and have taken jabs at Al Gore and Bill O'Reilley in equal measure, but they mostly concentrate on pop culture references and general silliness. If he's conservative, he definitely puts comedy ahead of politics for what he performs. About the only liberal comedian I know who really fails at that is Bill Maher, whose standup special was pretty much just an hour of him ranting about politics and pretending he was telling jokes.

e:

bobservo posted:

I love Rifftrax, but some of the jokes can definitely be identified as Mike's. The Starship Troopers live show had a riff about ACORN voting fraud, and it wasn't from the perspective of "isn't this idea nutty?"
Ah, yeah. I'd been trying to forget that. I don't mind when they playfully make fun of Al Gore (Shot of a desert planet: "This is what the world will look like if we don't all buy Priuses right now.") but the ACORN thing was entirely a conservative lie that they were reinforcing, and the joke was like something I'd expect from Dennis Miller.

Guilty Spork fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 2, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Every time I see PJ O'Rourke on Real Time or something he is the most painfully unfunny person on the screen. Maybe he was funny when he was coked up, I managed to miss his books, can't say, but he's not mean unfunny now he's just unfunny period.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'm starting to wonder if they finally jumped the "BOTH SIDES DO IT" shark to the point that our media is laying blame or if the left (with an assist from Republicans themselves) has finally drawn enough attention to it.

The majority of coverage I'm seeing that isn't nakedly partisan has to do some heavy lifting or massive underselling to paint this as both parties being equally responsible.

I wouldn't be surprised, we're in a perfect storm for it: Ted Cruz was baldly campaigning for a shutdown based on Obamacare and moved procedurally for it, polling already shows people know enough to blame the GOP, they caused an event that warrants multiple days of line 1 coverage, Boehner is in such a bind it looks like he hasn't even had enough time to come up with the reasoning on why it's Obama's fault, FOX news is so confused and desperate they can't even say the word.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Guilty Spork posted:

Ah, yeah. I'd been trying to forget that. I don't mind when they playfully make fun of Al Gore (Shot of a desert planet: "This is what the world will look like if we don't all buy Priuses right now.") but the ACORN thing was entirely a conservative lie that they were reinforcing, and the joke was like something I'd expect from Dennis Miller.

Coincidentally, Mike used to appear a bunch on Dennis Miller's show -- not sure if he still does, or if he just doesn't tweet about it anymore. Thankfully, the other guys seem a lot more liberal (Bill Corbett was a NYC playwright, for Christ's sake), and the gang only goes for political humor when it's extremely low-hanging fruit like Bill O' Reilly or Al Gore's "lockbox." That said, Mike's comedy has definitely gotten less affable and more mean-spirited over the years, though that could just be a symptom of getting older.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Monkey Fracas posted:

Congress did try and squeak through some half-assed bills that would return funding to some of the more visible government agencies yesterday or today, the stated narrative may be taking this into account.

That's exactly what they're trying to do, pass each program Ala Cart so the senate approves the republican pet projects and is then left waiting for the never-to-arrive proposal for food stamps.
And the democrats absolutely want this shutdown to hurt. That's their whole message: Government good. The other side has taken down government, now you get to see what it does for you every day.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

HootTheOwl posted:

That's exactly what they're trying to do, pass each program Ala Cart so the senate approves the republican pet projects and is then left waiting for the never-to-arrive proposal for food stamps.
And the democrats absolutely want this shutdown to hurt. That's their whole message: Government good. The other side has taken down government, now you get to see what it does for you every day.

Which is a good lesson that the country apparently needs to learn. I don't want this to continue but if it has to continue let's make sure everyone feels the pain. It would be grotesquely unethical, if not evil, to start returning funding to the military and the national parks before we return funding to food stamps and unemployment and all the other incredibly necessary services that the rich, protected, sheltered classes never feel the lack of.

If it takes inconveniencing the wealthy vacationers by shutting down parks to get food and housing restored to the poor and hungry and homeless, then so loving be it. Going on vacations is a luxury.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ReindeerF posted:

Every time I see PJ O'Rourke on Real Time or something he is the most painfully unfunny person on the screen. Maybe he was funny when he was coked up, I managed to miss his books, can't say, but he's not mean unfunny now he's just unfunny period.

Yeah, he was funny when he was younger, coked up, and he could be the vaguely libertarian gadfly within the staid Republican establishment. The books are genuinely funny and sort of an "insider looking out" kinda thing, but there would be no place for that kind of humor within today's Republican Party. I remember one book he's basically going around to all the places where Americans have started wars and going "hey wait, maybe this wasn't such a good idea."

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Invisible hand will find her. After all, once government is out of the way private industry will fulfill every need at a lower cost