Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
"Only the dead have seen the end of increasingly implausable books about war." - Plato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Gawker just published this CIA parody of Red October, from an appendix of someone's dissertation. Linked because it's loooong. It's well done and pretty funny to an outsider.

http://gawker.com/read-the-cias-parody-version-of-tom-clancys-most-famo-1440143480

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
One thing that always bugged me about Tom Clancy's books for some reason--all of the military officers that I can remember went to one of the academies. It's like he either fetishized or had never heard of OCS or ROTC. He always emphasized "this character went to West Point" or whatever.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Slo-Tek posted:

I always leaned toward the morbid side. Looked at the maps, looked at the blast radiuses and consulted with my pop "Hey Dad, do you think the Goodyear facilities in Akron would get a nuke? Are we far enough from Cleveland, if the winds are right?"

Honestly always sort of figured "we" would win, if it jumped off. Even if we ended up short a few cities, I didn't really think I was going to get annihilated in nuclear fire, just that I'd have to have my boyscout poo poo together for a little mad-max before things got settled down again.

Looking at the sheer number of warheads and launch vehicles kicking around in the early 80's, if it had gone to the full out spasm, use it or lose it style plan of attack (as it probably would have quickly evolved to) then I could readily imagine the vast majority of all industry (as well as the towns/cities full of workers) to be smouldering ruins. Population base and industrial bases are generally in the same places, at least as far as the blast radius from a spread of thermonuclear devices is concerned.

It's why I have pretty much stalled down on the alternate history- just trying to examine the number of weapons/targets for a single nation is a phenomenal task, but it's also entirely depressing.

The world would have been hosed. Probably not quite the end of humans, but certainly the end of large scale civilisation for a long time.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Who would bother to nuke the Kiwis except for that like, one listening post we had, maybe? Of course they'd be reliant on imports still sooo yeah.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

That's why I doubt it'd actually have been "use it or lose it"; it'd probably have been a steady tit-for-tat, chipping away at each other's capability to fight until one side screamed uncle. After all, if you're a Soviet general and you manage to knock out the US's ability to flatten Za Rodina while your armies storm Germany why wouldn't you? Likewise, if you're his American counterpart and you neuter the Soviet deterrent why wouldn't you do that and then kick the Kremlin's door in?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
No targets near me. So 80s me might actually have survived a nuclear war long enough to die of starvation/disease/whatever. :woop:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

grover posted:

No targets near me. So 80s me might actually have survived a nuclear war long enough to die of starvation/disease/whatever. :woop:

The blobs on the east coast I can understand, but what's around the black blobs in North Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming/Nebraska/Colorado?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Silos, also possibly Cheyenne Mountain.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Davin Valkri posted:

The blobs on the east coast I can understand, but what's around the black blobs in North Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming/Nebraska/Colorado?

The North Dakota blob is because of the Minot AFB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minot_Air_Force_Base

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

grover posted:

Aren't you in Norfolk? You'd be flattened.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Naramyth posted:

The North Dakota blob is because of the Minot AFB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minot_Air_Force_Base

Ah, that link gave the answer! Those are where the Air Force units in charge of ICBM units might be hiding. Thanks!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Any non-trivial population center. Also any military installation larger than a ROTC detachment and any industrial area producing or reasonably convertible to production of military hardware. Those midwestern silo hits are all going to be multimegaton groundbursts so if you're within about three states downwind and you're not in a 200-year vault the fallout will be short-term fatal anyway.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Who would want to nuke Harrisburg? I mean some areas around it, yeah (a rather large depot is in the area), but otherwise I would think at the point where Harrisburg comes up you're pretty much flipping coins.

I wonder if the Russian's ever delisted Philly once the Navy Yard got closed?

Snowdens Secret posted:

Any non-trivial population center. Also any military installation larger than a ROTC detachment and any industrial area producing or reasonably convertible to production of military hardware. Those midwestern silo hits are all going to be multimegaton groundbursts so if you're within about three states downwind and you're not in a 200-year vault the fallout will be short-term fatal anyway.

Which ironically compromises the nations grain producing centers IIRC.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Mortabis posted:

Aren't you in Norfolk? You'd be flattened.
80s me was nice and rural and far enough away from anything worth nuking to have escaped the worst of it.

gfanikf posted:

Who would want to nuke Harrisburg? I mean some areas around it, yeah (a rather large depot is in the area), but otherwise I would think at the point where Harrisburg comes up you're pretty much flipping coins.
That map has a rather large scale, but looks to me like the triangle is smack on Indiantown Gap. I'm actually surprised Mechanicsburg wasn't targetted, too. Guess the Russkies figured the navy depot wouldn't be of much use in a nuclear war, and wasn't worth wasting a nuke on?

grover fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 2, 2013

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

gfanikf posted:

Which ironically compromises the nations grain producing centers IIRC.

Yup. Eastern ND/Western MN is pretty much the bread basket of the country. Having all that fallout come east from prevailing winds would just destroy the nations agriculture.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

grover posted:

What the gently caress were they going to nuke in Jackson, Michigan?! :psyduck:

Although this shithole already looks like something went off in some neighborhoods so.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The good people of Pennsylvania might not see Harrisburg as much of a center for command and control, but the Soviets surely did. Philly probably spent the entire Cold War on the top 10 list of countervalue strike targets regardless of any counterforce plans.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mortabis posted:

One thing that always bugged me about Tom Clancy's books for some reason--all of the military officers that I can remember went to one of the academies. It's like he either fetishized or had never heard of OCS or ROTC. He always emphasized "this character went to West Point" or whatever.

Most of them were generals and admirals, so that's not really unexpected. But iirc Jack Ryan went to Boston College, so ROTC for him.

Forums Terrorist posted:

That's why I doubt it'd actually have been "use it or lose it"; it'd probably have been a steady tit-for-tat, chipping away at each other's capability to fight until one side screamed uncle. After all, if you're a Soviet general and you manage to knock out the US's ability to flatten Za Rodina while your armies storm Germany why wouldn't you? Likewise, if you're his American counterpart and you neuter the Soviet deterrent why wouldn't you do that and then kick the Kremlin's door in?

How do you maintain a tit-for-tat posture when your C3 nodes are being eliminated and you lose the ability to track the situation and communicate with anyone?

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 2, 2013

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Although this shithole already looks like something went off in some neighborhoods so.

Forget that, I wanna know what nuke-worthy high value target sits at the borders of Washington, Idaho, and Canada.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Any cold war experts want to explain why the silo-filled areas out west are completely untargeted in the 500 warhead scenario, but absolutely obliterated in the 2000 warhead one?

It seems somewhat counter-intuitive. Wouldn't you have a greater need to destroy the US's launch capabilities in a limited launch than in a "scorch the goddamn earth" scenario?

Or, for that matter, why does Akron get hit 6 times in a limited strike, and only once in a massive strike?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Forums Terrorist posted:

You can't knock out the enemy sufficiently to neuter them though- (especially by the late 70's, with 50,000+ warheads around) that was the sticking point of MAD, and the reason for spreading/hiding your deterrent as best you could, so the enemy doesn't play because there isn't a winning move, you can always be hit back (also why SDI was such a potential destabilizing game changer, "I can hit you, you can't hit me nearly as well"). If I was that Soviet general, I wouldn't be having a paddle in the channel after a week of rolling through Europe, NATO doctrine demands that my lovely armoured divisions got their tank crews all neutroned up after it became clear that the onwards march of global communism is unstoppable by conventional means.

Someone launches say, a few dozen ICBM's at you. Until very late in the stage, you have no idea of where they are headed. It might be a few military bases, or they might be intended for your government, or your super shiny expensive missile fields. There might be single warheads aboard, maybe your opponent said "gently caress START, load up 50 MIRV's on each those fuckers". So, you launch them, because otherwise your command and control might be killed or disrupted, or one of your best weapons systems just got turned into a lot of burnt corn fields you don't want to go near, because you don't have time to think this over clearly. Your opponent sees you do the same, and starts fretting over their remaining missile fields (and there are a metric fuckton of them). They launch more. You launch a shitload more, because now the first batch are already on re-entry, and this might be your last few moments.

Or, you just got whacked by an SLBM strike, there is no clear command and control, and your "dead hand" system triggers and issues commands automatically for massive retaliation.

Or, the other side gets real lucky, and decapitates your CnC. The headless chicken that's left, however, is more than capable of pressing the right buttons- again, it's how nuclear warfare is set up, to make it such an unattractive proposition, to make mutual death so likely no sane person would go for it- that's the problem. People aren't sane, and the systems they put in place prone to error but very efficient at causing megadeaths.

There's many of ways it could have gone full with neither side wanting it, and the whole system was designed around massive retaliation and surviving a first strike so you can hit back adequately. It's the two sides of the MAD coin, reduce the risk of it happening on one side, increase the risk of it being full blown on the other.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 2, 2013

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I figure in MI at that time, Detroit obviously is getting a few being a population center, and they might as poo poo all over the industrial capacity in the state as well... lots of automotive-related plants nearby.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Apparently being one of the early internet hubs makes the university in my town cool enough to target.

Although now that I think of it there is a pretty massive liquid natural gas storage field a bit west and north.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

gfanikf posted:

Who would want to nuke Harrisburg?

Anyone who grew up there? (I grew up there, I kid, I kid. Except not really.)

Also, it's something of a rail center, and all the stuff at the DLA distribution center would have flowed through there. That's probably the big depot you're thinking of.

http://www.ddc.dla.mil/sites/sp/Susq/AboutDDSP.aspx

gfanikf posted:

Doubtful. NAVSEA is still there, specifically the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division (my old employer), and there's still a substantial mothball fleet tied up there. Like, JFK and Forrestal are *still* there, along with bunch of Ticos.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 2, 2013

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SyHopeful posted:

Forget that, I wanna know what nuke-worthy high value target sits at the borders of Washington, Idaho, and Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_Dam

(Ironically, part of The Postman was filmed at the dam)

VVVV
I bow to your superior knowledge of Kevin Costner's oeuvre.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 2, 2013

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

joat mon posted:

True, but The Postman isn't post-nuclear, just post-collapse.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Tom Petty playing himself was the only good part of that movie.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Phanatic posted:

Anyone who grew up there? (I grew up there, I kid, I kid. Except not really.)

Harrisburg would have been improved if 3 mile island exploded.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mortabis posted:

Harrisburg would have been improved if 3 mile island exploded.

Duh, how could I forget that, I lived there during that mess and my father made my pregnant mother grab me and get the hell out of town. A working nuke plant is probably enough for the Soviets to assign warheads.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

That map looks like it was put together as an argument for countervalue targeting vs. counterforce. It's post cold war, also; there are a number of bases omitted that would have been targeted in the cold war that are closed now.

See FEMA 196, which http://www.armageddononline.org/PDF/General%20Survival/Risks%20&%20hazards%20-%20A%20State%20by%20State%20Guide%20-%20FEMA196.pdf ; I think this has been posted before.

Page 14/15's pretty sobering, and it has more accurate state-by-state target information circa 1990.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Davin Valkri posted:

Ah, that link gave the answer! Those are where the Air Force units in charge of ICBM units might be hiding. Thanks!

They're not hiding, those silos are very visible and a prime target for a massive first strike.

stealie72 posted:

Any cold war experts want to explain why the silo-filled areas out west are completely untargeted in the 500 warhead scenario, but absolutely obliterated in the 2000 warhead one?

It seems somewhat counter-intuitive. Wouldn't you have a greater need to destroy the US's launch capabilities in a limited launch than in a "scorch the goddamn earth" scenario?

Or, for that matter, why does Akron get hit 6 times in a limited strike, and only once in a massive strike?

As PCjr sidecar, it's the difference between a countervalue and a counterforce strike. It's a bit counter-intuitive (hey that might be the name for a nuke scenario in itself!) but if you want to wreck a nation you'll probably need less warheads than you'd use digging out those hardened concrete tubes in the Midwest. Missiles and warheads don't work every time so you'll need to target every aimpoint (so every single silo plus their command facilities) with at least two warheads to get a +~>90% kill chance. There are hundreds of silos.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
What is going on down in the Ashland-area of Oregon? Did the Soviets hate Shakespeare festivals that much?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Ugh, that New York map. All of Long Island (thankfully) and then a straight line up the Hudson to Poughkeepsie. Duck and cover, kids! It's only a few hundred megatons!

Between West Point and Stewart, I was sooooo hosed.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
Didn't look at a map, but I'm pretty sure living less than a mile from TACOM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_TACOM_Life_Cycle_Management_Command combined with being like 20 minutes away from Selfridge ANG where there used to be B-52s, that if it all went down, I might be lucky enough to see a flash of light before just being vaporized.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Oxford Comma posted:

What is going on down in the Ashland-area of Oregon? Did the Soviets hate Shakespeare festivals that much?

Klamath Falls ANG base. And the spot near Corvallis is probably the Camp Adair SAGE center.

joat mon posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_Dam

Didn't know about that dam at all! Thanks.

Znyp
Jan 23, 2003
A very interesting video of the SR-71 cockpit checkout.

oh, and don't forget the SR-71 engine tour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZfBFlTC_c

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A McDonnell Douglas product with hydraulic leaks? Say it ain't so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Growing up reading Alas Babylon it's funny looking at that map for Florida. We'd be utterly hosed with pretty much every population center being killed on the 600 war-head map.