Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It probably would be good for a 7 year old just my concern is the price will only continue to plummet or offer more incentives to get people to buy it. The system has nowhere to go but down and it doesn't appear to be changing any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Astro7x posted:

Not to make excuses, but Ocarina of Time is one of the most critically acclaimed games of all time. Wind Waker was not that well received in Japan by Nintendo's own admission as it did much better in the US.

WW is the 3rd best selling Zelda game in Japan, behind only OoT and Phantom Hourglass. Nintendo may have been disappointed that it didn't sell as well as OoT but it was received just fine.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 2, 2013

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Xillah posted:

My kid is asking for a wii-u for Christmas. WWHD is due out, I'm really struggling to decide whether it would be a good purchase. The kid is 7, his Wii gets battered, there's Mario-U and a new smash brothers due out next year.

I just don't know if it's going to gather dust due to a lack of games. I can see half a dozen things I could buy him but if that didn't increase to a couple dozen over the next year or two it becomes a duff purchase.

Any advice?

Get him a 3DS or the cheaper 2DS instead. He'll have all the Mario games he could ever want AND the new Smash Bros.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Buy him an snes and super mario world. Everything old is new again when you have kids. By the time he gets the WiiU at the $125 price point he'll be all "what is this new mario u crap I want yoshi's island".

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

Buy him an snes and super mario world. Everything old is new again when you have kids. By the time he gets the WiiU at the $125 price point he'll be all "what is this new mario u crap I want yoshi's island".

This works with really young kids but by 7 they're sold out by new fangled graphics and gimmicks. :arghfist::corsair:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If your kid asks for a thing for birthday/Christmas and you can afford it without strain and it isn't harmful, get your kid that thing. There are plenty of games he will like on it, in addition to replacing his beat up Wii. Which if it is beat up, he obviously uses it a lot.

Also as a seven year old it's lacking online and focus on colorful games will actually be something of a blessing instead of just a curse for you the parent.

It should keep him perfectly happy til age 11 or so.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Crowbear posted:

WW is the 3rd best selling Zelda game in Japan, behind only OoT and Phantom Hourglass. Nintendo may have been disappointed that it didn't sell as well as OoT but it was received just fine.

Still... Zelda games historically do not perform as well in Japan as they do in North America. It would be the equivalent of looking at just the Japanese sales numbers for Grand Theft Auto and saying it did bad.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
Get in for him. Hey, he's got to learn sooner or later that life can be unfair.

Serious answer: get him a 2DS if he doesn't have one already.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

Doflamingo posted:

Get him a 3DS or the cheaper 2DS instead. He'll have all the Mario games he could ever want AND the new Smash Bros.

3DS's for him and I arrived last year. He's bashed a few games on it but I fear his pokemon died of neglect.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Xillah posted:

My kid is asking for a wii-u for Christmas. WWHD is due out, I'm really struggling to decide whether it would be a good purchase. The kid is 7, his Wii gets battered, there's Mario-U and a new smash brothers due out next year.

I just don't know if it's going to gather dust due to a lack of games. I can see half a dozen things I could buy him but if that didn't increase to a couple dozen over the next year or two it becomes a duff purchase.

Any advice?
Buy him a PS4, he'll be wanting to play Call of Duty with his friends before you know it.

Seriously, my 8 and 10 year old nephews are playing CoD now. I couldn't believe my brother bought it for them.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

greatn posted:

If your kid asks for a thing for birthday/Christmas and you can afford it without strain and it isn't harmful, get your kid that thing. There are plenty of games he will like on it, in addition to replacing his beat up Wii. Which if it is beat up, he obviously uses it a lot.

Also as a seven year old it's lacking online and focus on colorful games will actually be something of a blessing instead of just a curse for you the parent.

It should keep him perfectly happy til age 11 or so.

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking the WWHD bundle for £250 (digital WW), then either Mario or Luigi U, and probably Monster Hunter as his main Christmas gift. It's a shame there's no 3d Mario yet, we loved Galaxy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Xillah posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking the WWHD bundle for £250 (digital WW), then either Mario or Luigi U, and probably Monster Hunter as his main Christmas gift. It's a shame there's no 3d Mario yet, we loved Galaxy.

There is a 3D Mario coming before Christmas, and it looks amazing so far. Search for super Mario 3D world gameplay trailer October 1st. It's even Co op with different characters having different abilities.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Seriously, my 8 and 10 year old nephews are playing CoD now. I couldn't believe my brother bought it for them.

I saw a little school girl have her mother buy BLOPS 2 for her when the game launched. I was in the loving gamestop line dumbfounded as her mother paid for the game and then handed it to her.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

Buy him a PS4, he'll be wanting to play Call of Duty with his friends before you know it.

Haha, he has more chance of getting a hooker on Christmas morning than a PS4. Maybe next year we'll (I'll) get one and we can share. No way in hell he'd get CoD though.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

greatn posted:

There is a 3D Mario coming before Christmas, and it looks amazing so far. Search for super Mario 3D world gameplay trailer October 1st. It's even Co op with different characters having different abilities.

Sold! I didn't know that was coming so soon, thanks man.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Famous TV Dad posted:

Is there a source for that yet? Just curious.

What a shame tho. Its an incredible game.

There's nothing beyond the VGChartz guesses. They say 15k for the week, which would be terrible, but the numbers are fanfiction right now.

WWHD not moving either software or hardware is far more serious though, plus we have actual real numbers:

quote:

Hardware Sales (followed by last week’s sales)

3DS LL – 93,757 (118,400)
3DS – 40,487 (40,988)
PlayStation 3 – 11,382 (10,749)
PlayStation Vita – 6,031 (5,155)
Wii U – 5,909 (5,824)

That's a dead console. You could assume that (untracked) digital sales on WWHD meant the game sold far better than the 30k reported, but no there's zero movement on the hardware. So: anyone interested in the Zelda remake had already bought a Wii U.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
Man, this is something like the third week running WiiU got outsold by the Vita. At this rate it'll be more of a surprise if they don't lose out to the loving Vita.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

OatmealRaisin posted:

Man, this is something like the third week running WiiU got outsold by the Vita. At this rate it'll be more of a surprise if they don't lose out to the loving Vita.

The Vita has been consistently selling better than the Wii U for a while now in Japan. It's only been remotely close the last 3 weeks because the Vita has collapsed during that time for some reason. I mean poo poo, the Wii U has actually been neck and neck with the PSP more often than it has with the Vita.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Mind you, I don't think Japan got either the price drop or the Zelda bundle.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
It'll be weird to see the Vita vs. Wii U sales once the Vita TV drops in Japan.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crowbear posted:

The Vita has been consistently selling better than the Wii U for a while now in Japan. It's only been remotely close the last 3 weeks because the Vita has collapsed during that time for some reason. I mean poo poo, the Wii U has actually been neck and neck with the PSP more often than it has with the Vita.

Atomicated posted:

It'll be weird to see the Vita vs. Wii U sales once the Vita TV drops in Japan.

I think this is it. We're less than 1.5 months out from the Vita TV launching in Japan and it sold like crazy in pre-orders, even moreso since none of the new consoles, including the PS4, are coming before sometime next year in Japan. Also it's entirely likely some people are holding out for the new model, despite the LCD screen.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Crowbear posted:

The Wii U has sold so poorly post-launch it might actually have been outsold worldwide by the Vita since christmas. It's pretty close anyway. It really is stunning how badly the Wii U has sold post-launch. They shifted a lot in that first ~month, but just nothing meaningful since.

3D World is going to need some serious, serious marketing behind it, because the Wii U is invisible right now.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
I will be buying a wii-u zelda bundle on friday ( assuming they are still on the shelf ). I assume ill need to get 2 wii remotes for wii backwards compatibility, but can anyone else recomend games and accessories that are must owns?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

jhorphear posted:

I will be buying a wii-u zelda bundle on friday ( assuming they are still on the shelf ). I assume ill need to get 2 wii remotes for wii backwards compatibility, but can anyone else recomend games and accessories that are must owns?

It largely depends on what games you will be playing and, truth be told, it's confusing as hell depending on if you'll be playing original Wii stuff or not. There's a nice chart near the top of the official Wii-U thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507212 cross-reference that with the games you're interested in (and how many bodies will be playing those games).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

jhorphear posted:

You need a Wiimote Plus for a lot of multiplayer Wii U Games like Nintedoland, which are fairly cheap if you get them in game bundles. Wii U Party and Mario & Sonic at the Olympics are upcoming releases that will have them bundled. Plus if you can still find a copy of Fling Smash that is often much cheaper than getting a controller on its own. You'll also need a nunchuck too for some games, but those are cheap.

Other than that, no other accessories are really required. I would suggest getting a Wii Balance Board used for cheap now, as you'll be able to get Wii Fit U for $20 down the road instead of paying the full price bundle around $80. The Pro Controller is not necessary, but it replaces using the Game Pad if you don't want to use the tablet controller. I personally love it though since I don't really enjoy having a screen below my face when playing NSMBU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Something to keep on file for when the NPD numbers come in: Nintendo expected Wind Waker HD to be a bread winner.

quote:

A representative of Nintendo said today the Wii U remake of “The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD” will be a system seller for the underperforming console.

“It is the perfect time for Zelda fans to discover Wii U,” Nintendo product manager Roger Langford told MCV. “For many Zelda fans, this is the first time that they’ll discover Wind Waker and we’re treating the game as a triple-A new release. Ocarina of Time 3D performed positively on Nintendo 3DS and we’re looking to replicate this success with The Wind Waker HD.”

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ocarina of Time 3DS do very little (if anything) to boost the 3DS? The price drop and fast-tracking of Mario Land 3D and Mario Kart 7 later that year probably saved that system more than anything.

I just find it funny, if the above it true, that Nintendo is repeating the same mistakes by assuming an old title will sell new hardware. I love Wind Waker as much as the new guy here, but new games are what pushes new hardware.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Zillah, not sure if you're still in need of game options, but there's Sonic Lost World upcoming and Wonderful 101 already out that you can potentially add to the list. And Rayman Legends now that I think about it.

Though speaking of, somehow managed to rope my Dad into buying the WWHD bundle, rather than paying out of my own pocket. Which means I now have a great deal more money spare to buy games for it myself.

Might have helped that - my god - there was actually an advert for Wind Waker HD. On television. That he saw.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
How much does the Japan market really matter though? It seems like unless it's a 3DS it doesn't really matter and that's how it's been for a while from what I remember.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Harry posted:

How much does the Japan market really matter though? It seems like unless it's a 3DS it doesn't really matter and that's how it's been for a while from what I remember.
Well, it doesn't really matter (part of the reason why Sony pushed the PS4 release in Japan to early next year), but it's definitely a recent development that Japanese gamers don't care as much about home consoles as they used to.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Which in turn makes the market even less important.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Justin Godscock posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ocarina of Time 3DS do very little (if anything) to boost the 3DS? The price drop and fast-tracking of Mario Land 3D and Mario Kart 7 later that year probably saved that system more than anything.

This is very true. While it's sitting at 3 million sales right now at the #6 spot in sales, Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land have 8 million a piece at number 1 and 2 in sales. There was a small bump in hardware sales when OoT was released, but you're correct in the price drop and those two games being what saved the system.

But OoT did see a notable increase hardware sales when it was release instead of the relatively flat number. It sounds line Nintendo is expecting it to perform similarly.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Quest For Glory II posted:

Something to keep on file for when the NPD numbers come in: Nintendo expected Wind Waker HD to be a bread winner.

I've heard of a lot of people picking up the bundle. I don't know if they sold out or anything but there's a few people on SA alone who popped into the proper Wii U thread because they got the Wind Waker HD bundle.

If 3D World, MK8 and Smash don't help move a significant amount of consoles I'll be shocked.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

If 3D World, MK8 and Smash don't help move a significant amount of consoles I'll be shocked.

I bought a Wii just for Brawl, but I'm not sure people have the same level of hype for the new SSB.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I expect most people to buy the 3DS version of Smash, realize that it's more fun to play multiplayer locally than online, but shrug their shoulders and say "eh I already bought this version" and still not buy a Wii U.

Kart 8 will do better because it's a fully-upgraded sequel from 7 and not a simultaneous cross-platform release.

I have no idea how 3D World will do after New Super Mario U failed to move systems.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I expect most people to buy the 3DS version of Smash, realize that it's more fun to play multiplayer locally than online, but shrug their shoulders and say "eh I already bought this version" and still not buy a Wii U.

You can still play local wireless and the 3DS is common enough I don't think that'd be a huge hurdle.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

You can still play local wireless and the 3DS is common enough I don't think that'd be a huge hurdle.
The 3DS thread is full of people that get streetpasses maybe once every 5 months so it really depends on where you live. Nintendo had to come up with a system to fake the streetpass connection because of all the people who don't live near other people with 3DS systems, and then they even announced this week that they multipled it by 6 because one at a time wasn't enough.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I have no idea how 3D World will do after New Super Mario U failed to move systems.

It really all depends on marketing. The E3 video for 3D World sucked balls. The current Nintendo Direct of it looks great. If Nintendo can make a commercial out of the Nintendo Direct video, I think people will consider it a system seller.

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I've heard of a lot of people picking up the bundle. I don't know if they sold out or anything but there's a few people on SA alone who popped into the proper Wii U thread because they got the Wind Waker HD bundle.

3D world, sure. MK8 and the multi-platform smash? Eh, Not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wasper posted:

3D world, sure. MK8 and the multi-platform smash? Eh, Not so much.

Mario Kart has universally been a system seller so I'm not sure why you think that it would be less of one than 3D World.

• Locked thread