Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mercury Crusader posted:

Looks like GameStop is dropping the price of Rayman Legends and Splinter Cell: Blacklist to $40 new. I thought it was just for the Wii U versions, but apparently it's across all the platforms (except the Vita version of Rayman Legends which is now $30). That's a really quick price drop, even for UbiSoft. The only catch is that it's GameStop.

Gamestop has some drat good deals on used games. lovely business practices aside, on the buyer/collector end of the spectrum most of their prices can't be beat.

You can even convince some to do the free shipping deal with their BOGO sales. That way you scroll through their list of games, pick out what you want, pay for it in store as the sale price and it gets shipped to your house. That way they don't need to call other gamestops and have you drive around everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think he means 'doesn't re-use Galaxy assets'. We've already had two of those games and it'd be rad to have a game on that level but in a completely new setting. I don't really know where Nintendo can go next though. Time travel? An urban environment?

What I really want is Super Mario Toybox just because of how pretty the Mario Chase minigame in Nintendo Land looked. :swoon:

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Synthetic Hermit posted:

YouTube now appears to be blocking videos with ads on them from being viewed in the Wii U browser. There are two workarounds:

1. Go into the browser settings and change the user agent to either Internet Explorer or Internet Explorer Touch. This may change the way other sites are displayed as well.

or

2. Change the "watch?v=" part of the URL to "embed/" - the video will work now, but it will be the only thing on the page. To get back to the regular YouTube layout without stopping the video, just wait until the Wii U's pop-up video player takes over, shift it on to the TV, then touch the back button.

Please note that the user agent option will be reset to default each time the browser is started.
Thank you, this helped a lot. Maybe they'll fix this, hopefully without enabling ads.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Looks like GameStop is dropping the price of Rayman Legends and Splinter Cell: Blacklist to $40 new. I thought it was just for the Wii U versions, but apparently it's across all the platforms (except the Vita version of Rayman Legends which is now $30). That's a really quick price drop, even for UbiSoft. The only catch is that it's GameStop.

And it looks like Amazon has marked down Rayman Legends to $40 as well.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

M3DW looks fantastic. I am so excited to play as firepower peach, you have no idea

Man Cub
Jan 12, 2004

Come on! I'm the lord and savior! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CRUCIFY ME, GOD DAMNIT!

Trent posted:

M3DW looks fantastic. I am so excited to play as firepower peach, you have no idea

I like the little things like how fire flower peach puts her hair back in a pony tail to not have her hair set ablaze.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

.TakaM posted:

Thank you, this helped a lot. Maybe they'll fix this, hopefully without enabling ads.

A note about the workarounds. Upon further testing, YouTube's comments appear to not be loading after changing the user agent, meaning that embed/ is the only option that gives you the full package.

If the YouTube app would just work like a browser does, we wouldn't have to keep going through all this rigamarole...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Synthetic Hermit posted:

A note about the workarounds. Upon further testing, YouTube's comments appear to not be loading after changing the user agent, meaning that embed/ is the only option that gives you the full package.

That's a feature, not a bug.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't mind the ads, youtube deserves to run ads. I just wish they worked.

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002
I just got a WiiU and noticed that New Super Mario WiiU shares a single save game across profiles. Is this true for all games, or do some games have profile-specific saves?

I've got 3 kids, and my wife and I both play videogames. 3 save files is not enough. I thought the existence of profiles meant that was over.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Most games are profile-specific. I have no idea why NSMBU is not.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Same reason you can't play multiplayer with the gamepad.

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Most games are profile-specific. I have no idea why NSMBU is not.
Thanks, that's a relief.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
Pretty sure NSMB is just profile-less because it assumes you'll all want to play multi-player together rather than worry about who's save it is.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
3D World looks awesome after looking at the new gameplay trailers and videos. It's really a hybrid of 3D Land and Galaxy. I think we all forget how linear Mario Galaxy really was with the different planets.

Though the Double Cherry's seem to be a solution to needing multiple characters to advance in places, similar to how it is done in four swords.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

MolluskGoneBad posted:

I just got a WiiU and noticed that New Super Mario WiiU shares a single save game across profiles. Is this true for all games, or do some games have profile-specific saves?

I've got 3 kids, and my wife and I both play videogames. 3 save files is not enough. I thought the existence of profiles meant that was over.

What are you doing letting kids touch your video games? Get them their own console to muck up and keep yours locked away in the study!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

MolluskGoneBad posted:

You can set up user accounts that can share anything you put on the system, including eshop purchases and demos, and you can put parental settings to keep the kids out of stuff.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
So, yesterday I discovered you can't actually get Wii mode to display on the gamepad without having it on the TV first :psyduck:

I managed to eventually get it to display by madly flailing the wiimote and pressing the A button but doesn't that defeat the purpose of "you don't need the TV?"

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

robodex posted:

So, yesterday I discovered you can't actually get Wii mode to display on the gamepad without having it on the TV first :psyduck:

I managed to eventually get it to display by madly flailing the wiimote and pressing the A button but doesn't that defeat the purpose of "you don't need the TV?"

Off screen play != don't need the TV at any point

Ideally, that is what it would be and it might be that way later, but I think that Nintendo launched this feature without it having everything on their wishlist since it was in such high demand and the Wii U library is less than stellar atm. I still think it is awesome that we got it at all though. Very pleasant surprise.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Are there any sales numbers on the windwaker bundles yet? I know 6 people who bought a wii-u (the zelda one) soley because of wind waker.

So I am curious to see what windwaker did for system sales.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 3, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Kilazar posted:

Are there any sales numbers on the windwaker bundles yet? I know 6 people who bought a wii-u soley because of wind waker.

So I am curious to see what windwaker did for system sales.

Same here. I guess numbers in Japan are not that great but that's for the game alone.

Also, anyone seen the Mario and Luigi themed wiimotes? I'm tempted to buy them, but then again maybe Nintendo will also release a pink Peach (or Kirby!), a blue Sonic, a yellow Wario, a purple Waluigi, a green Bowser and an oh my god the possibilities are endlessssss

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

a pink Peach (or Kirby!)

The + and - buttons could be have his eyes printed on them and the A button could be his big happy smile and ohmigosh I want this. :3:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Same here. I guess numbers in Japan are not that great but that's for the game alone.

Also, anyone seen the Mario and Luigi themed wiimotes? I'm tempted to buy them, but then again maybe Nintendo will also release a pink Peach (or Kirby!), a blue Sonic, a yellow Wario, a purple Waluigi, a green Bowser and an oh my god the possibilities are endlessssss

Waluigi remote is day one purchase.

4 of them. Hell, 8 of them.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I want to buy the Luigi one because he's my favorite character, and I need a couple Wiimotes after I gave some to my sister.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Xavier434 posted:

Off screen play != don't need the TV at any point

Ideally, that is what it would be and it might be that way later, but I think that Nintendo launched this feature without it having everything on their wishlist since it was in such high demand and the Wii U library is less than stellar atm. I still think it is awesome that we got it at all though. Very pleasant surprise.

I understand that, but also it sort of defeats the purpose of being able to just turn on the Wii U and play while someone else is using the TV, doesn't it?

It's a pleasant surprise that we have it, yes, but releasing something else that's half-baked when current public perception of your console is that it already is half-baked is probably not the best way to engender public support.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I guess Monster Hunter is on sale again?

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
Hopefully they'll eventually do a Mario3dWorld or Mario Kart bundle.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thedouche posted:

Hopefully they'll eventually do a Mario3dWorld AND Mario Kart bundle.

:yoshi:

Mr. Blastaway
Jun 23, 2004

That reminds me, we still have yet to see Yarn Yoshi and it's been a while hasn't it? I still find it compelling even though they've only shown 2 screenshots. I hope it didn't get Project H.A.M.M.E.R.d :ohdear:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Blastaway posted:

Speaking of that we still have yet to see Yoshi Yarn and it's been a while hasn't it? I still find it compelling even though they've only shown 2 screenshots. I hope it didn't get Project H.A.M.M.E.R.d :ohdear:

The new Yoshi's Island is coming out first so they're probably holding back until that is out.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

They've shown more than screenshots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SraSPi2uHYk

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

ImpAtom posted:

The new Yoshi's Island is coming out first so they're probably holding back until that is out.

Man every so often I get reminded that Yoshi's New Island exists and then I get real bummed out

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
If Yarn Yoshi is anything like Yarn Kirby then no thanks. That was awfully cute but one of the easiest/simplest games I've ever played.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

japtor posted:

I guess Monster Hunter is on sale again?

Great, I missed the last sale by two minutes. Seriously, who the hell ends a sale at noon?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Steam ends a lot of their sales at 1pm EST

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

If Yarn Yoshi is anything like Yarn Kirby then no thanks. That was awfully cute but one of the easiest/simplest games I've ever played.

I want it to be exactly like Kirby's Epic Yarn. :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JordanKai posted:

I want it to be exactly like Kirby's Epic Yarn. :colbert:

Yes please, Epic Yarn is awesome.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Regy Rusty posted:

Yes please, Epic Yarn is awesome.

Epic Yarn could've stood to be a bit more challenging and a bit more punishing, but Epic Yarn was still charming as gently caress.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Macaluso posted:

Epic Yarn could've stood to be a bit more challenging and a bit more punishing, but Epic Yarn was still charming as gently caress.

But that's kind of the point of it. It would have been nice to include a more with some kind of difficulty, but it was made to be something you can give to kids and they literally cannot lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Epic Yarn could've stood to be a bit more challenging and a bit more punishing

Was collecting gold medals/all the furniture on every level not challenge enough for you? I'm not being facetious, that's an honest question. Getting to the final boss of Kirby's Epic Yarn is quite literally no challenge, but I found getting all the collectables to be quite difficult. Especially the levels where you were turn into a dune buggy or something similar gave me a lot of trouble.

Then again, if you're not into pimping out your felt living room then I guess you're fresh out of luck for challenge! :v:

• Locked thread