Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

iostream.h posted:

Long as they're not an FCC agent. ;)

Don't worry the FCC is on furlough so no enforcement right now.

FCC.gov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is gearing up to be one heck of an election year.

What does the Faceless Army's advance mean for the polls?

Will the new owners/proprietors of the town put forward a candidate? Or will they follow the true patriotic method of funneling indescribably large sums of cash towards a candidate?

Does Hiram McDaniels believe in a Smiling God? Can the faceless woman who lives in your house even believe in a smiling god, as she has no face and therefor cannot smile?

Yes, it is shaping up to be one doozy of an election year, Night Vale. A real doozy.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
And it's still pretty early in the election cycle, plenty of time for a dark horse candidate to come out of nowhere. Knowing Night Vale, they will literally arrive on Dark Horses, wreathed in flame and sadness.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
God, I love that this mayoral race comes down to Matilda vs. Hank Venture.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Phylodox posted:

God, I love that this mayoral race comes down to Matilda vs. Hank Venture.

A million times this. I bet when they introduced Hiram McDaniels last year they never thought they'd end up having the creative mastermind behind Venture loving Brothers providing the voice.

morningfine
Dec 6, 2006
This week's episode was amazing. The cliffhanger is killing me, and Hiram was great. Looks like we are going to see Cecil, Hiram, FOW, Kevin(?!!!) and some mysterious people at the Brooklyn show and I absolutely cannot wait. Also, about the t shirts? Are we going to have more opportunities to vote on reader submitted designs? Like second chances? Because I'm in love with the Angels one (like I'd wear it all of the time) and I will probably be heartbroken if it loses.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Phylodox posted:

God, I love that this mayoral race comes down to Matilda vs. Hank Venture.The Monarch

When one of his heads did the Monarch voice I couldn't stop laughing.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Cecil and Jeffrey did an interview on the show Q on CBC this morning: http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2013/10/02/welcome-to-night-vale/

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
The man in the fedora was amazing. Thank you for that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dr Pepper posted:

When one of his heads did the Monarch voice I couldn't stop laughing.

That's nothing, I think the other head (the purple one?) was Publick doing an impression of Urbaniak doing Phantom Limb.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I love Cecil's impressions of the other townsfolk. His "Larry Leroy" voice this week was priceless.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Rhinoceraptor posted:

Ahahahah this was glorious. The show is a hell of a lot of fun and I can't wait to introduce it to more of my friends.

...which I'll do by meticulously explaining the entire SomethingAwful Forums history and then a brief sojourn into Bronies and Reddit culture with a quick sidetrack on how it's nothing to do with Animes, and then we'll head on back into why Homestuck is poo poo and every one of their fans is a nebbishy rear end in a top hat while the proud pure race of FOUNTAINEERS (Friends of Welcome to Night Vale) are the only fanbase worth joining. At this point, I'll take off my fedora, wipe my sweaty brow with the hem of my 3 wolf moon shirt and after a quick puff on my inhaler break into the FOUNTAINEERS song - one of my favorite pieces of fan-composed music ever made.

(then i'll shoot myself right in the face)

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I need to stop updating this thread until I'm done with all the episodes. :(

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Rhinoceraptor posted:

This was one of my favorite parts as well.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Wow, someone translated the first episode into ASL.

cementsocks
Jun 28, 2007
Zombies, Zombies, Zombies
Hi nightvale fans!

In case anyone here lives in New York and wanted to catch the upcoming Night Vale show in Brooklyn on October 10th, I have an extra ticket I need to get rid of. I bought it for the early show with the intention of going with a friend, but he didn't get a ticket in time, so we both got tickets to the late show instead. If any goon wants to buy it off me, shoot me an email at my SA username at gmail- selling it for $30, which I think is about how much it cost in the first place.

Edit: sold

cementsocks fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 5, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

cementsocks posted:

Hi nightvale fans!

In case anyone here lives in New York and wanted to catch the upcoming Night Vale show in Brooklyn on October 10th, I have an extra ticket I need to get rid of. I bought it for the early show with the intention of going with a friend, but he didn't get a ticket in time, so we both got tickets to the late show instead. If any goon wants to buy it off me, shoot me an email at my SA username at gmail- selling it for $30, which I think is about how much it cost in the first place.

I sent you an email.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

These Transport for London posters look wonderfully Nightvalen:

I think the reflection in it just caps it off.

'If you see anything suspicious, forget it. Forget what you've done.'

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
So.... goon meet before the show on Thursday?

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Annakie posted:

Wow, someone translated the first episode into ASL.

This is so exciting! :allears: I was just thinking of using Night Vale as an exercise to practice my signing, too!

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Leospeare posted:

I love Cecil's impressions of the other townsfolk. His "Larry Leroy" voice this week was priceless.

Agreed. Cecil's impersonations of third person dialogue are consistently the funniest portions of the podcast for me. It's something you'd totally miss out on if you were reading instead of listening, and it's such a call back to those old radio dramas.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

Leospeare posted:

I love Larry's catchphrase.

Edit: The farm totally belonged to Larry Leroy and I'm an idiot.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 8, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Action Yak Police posted:

I love Larry's catchphrase.

Pointless question about a tiny detail:
The Man in the Tan Jacket asks Larry Leroy about "his" farm. Since Larry answers by talking about the farm of John Peters (you know, the farmer), are we to assume that the Man in the Tan Jacket mistakenly believed that farm belonged to Larry? Is this in any way significant, like maybe it shows that he isn't all that familiar with the town, or am I just a big spergy idiot?

Maybe the reason it's always John Peters (you know, the farmer) is because everyone in his family is named John. So you have John Peters the plumber, baker, secret police officer (we don't talk about him though) and Night Vale has more farmers.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Official links for the LA Podfest Performance: one and two. Two episodes that have already aired a long time ago were performed.

*Edit* Sounds like there is a bit of new material, in here, too, just got to it, it's good. :)

Annakie fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 6, 2013

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Is the man in a Tan Jacket supposed to be an angel? The thing about him having an E-name no one could remember made me think that that was the implication.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Republican Vampire posted:

Is the man in a Tan Jacket supposed to be an angel? The thing about him having an E-name no one could remember made me think that that was the implication.

The funniest thing I read was someone saying he was Castiel from Supernatural. Wishful thinking if ever there was one.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My husband thinks the Man in the Tan Jacket is the Devil (specifically Beelzebub).

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

Republican Vampire posted:

In my head cannon he is Beelzebub, the lord of flies. That is why he worked with that racist rear end in a top hat. He is protecting Night Vale for his own known reasons.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I like to think that he's just some friendly traveling fly salesman from out of town who's caught a bad case of amnesia field and doesn't get why everyone's making such a big fuss about him :shobon:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Guys, he's just a traveling fly salesman! They're trained flies. They buzz the national anthem! They fly in delightful, intricate formations! They regard you with cold, insectile disdain as you scurry about your petty, ultimately meaningless lives!

You guys are just paranoid.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Guys, he's just a traveling fly salesman! They're trained flies. They buzz the national anthem! They fly in delightful, intricate formations! They regard you with cold, insectile disdain as you scurry about your petty, ultimately meaningless lives!

You guys are just paranoid.

You have a healthy lack of interest in everyday goings-on, Citizen. Keep up the good work!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Phylodox drinks to forget.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
I like the Beelzebub theory, considering the flies and such.

However, he also makes mention that his home is the central point of the Nightvale Subway system, deep below the town, and he lobbies for the system to be reopened so he can return home. That would possibly ally him in some way with the strange deer-masked figures, which may or may not cockroach swarms assuming humanoid form.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
I was re-listening to a bunch of episodes, and apparently he was first seen burning a refrigerator out in the desert. He may have originally climbed out of said refrigerator pre-tan-jacket, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with anything.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Amateur Sketch posted:

I was re-listening to a bunch of episodes, and apparently he was first seen burning a refrigerator out in the desert. He may have originally climbed out of said refrigerator pre-tan-jacket, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with anything.

That reminds me of Douglas Adams' The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul. In that book, there's a parallel universe where the gods live, and they're variously made real by belief and/or strong emotion. Near the end, the villain gets killed by a monster that comes out of a fridge - a god single-handedly manifested by one man's guilt.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 9, 2013

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm still not convinced Everett (the Man in the Tan Jacket) is actually a good guy. While he may have helped save the town, maybe indirectly, he still is around and intentions are still unclear.

I think we'll find out that Emmett is doing this all for his own dirty deeds.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

bengraven posted:

I'm still not convinced Everett (the Man in the Tan Jacket) is actually a good guy. While he may have helped save the town, maybe indirectly, he still is around and intentions are still unclear.

I think we'll find out that Emmett is doing this all for his own dirty deeds.

And on top of that, Ernest is one of the last people to speak directly to both Pamela Winchell (Who is stepping down as mayor) and the Apache Tracker.

What was his connection? Why, before any dedicated journalist could scribe their conversation down in blood and vellum, did both suddenly become unreachable? Is there a connection?

Whatever it is, don't bog me down, son.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

J.A.B.C. posted:

And on top of that, Ernest is one of the last people to speak directly to both Pamela Winchell (Who is stepping down as mayor) and the Apache Tracker.

What was his connection? Why, before any dedicated journalist could scribe their conversation down in blood and vellum, did both suddenly become unreachable? Is there a connection?

Whatever it is, don't bog me down, son.

And does it have anything to do with the disappearance of John Peters (you know, the farmer)?

I think Ennis owes us answers if we can ever find him.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Well poo poo, my out-of-touch Dad just told me to start listening to this when I've been ignoring this thread for months. Guess I better catch up.

In other words, good job on securing that conservative "still sends chain emails" 50+ demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

OK, I kind of want to know and I kind of don't, because it seems like it might spoil some of the fun, but who was playing the part of the Desert Bluffs radio personality tonight?

Freaked me OUT holy hell.
Whoever you are, I love you so much for that.